Most gentle and "old school" classic Disney film?

Holiztic

Earning My Ears
So DS3 is basically screen free--he's allowed to watch a little bit of Little Bear when really miserably sick (1-2 weeks a year).

BUT DH is going to be gone this weekend and I was thinking to ease the stress from that (DS is a total Daddy's boy) we might have a very special movie night. Every movie I have seen previews for lately for kids is wayyyy too much for what I want. They're too fast, too loud, too flashy and the content is too mature (over his head mostly, even too "hip").

So please recommend the best classic Disney movie for a 3 year old that has never seen a movie. Slower, simpler, gentler (though a bad guy/witch is fine) and more for kids than trying to be witty or relevant for grown ups.

I thought about just asking for people's opinions of the most boring classic Disney movie!!! :laughing:

Thanks!

At three I would go with NEMO, Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp or Robin Hood. All are good but at 3 he would probably love Toy Story.

Not trying to be nosey here but is there a reason why you don't want him watching the "noisey" movies??:confused3

Thanks for the replies so far, might think about L & T, but NEMO and Ratatouille aren't really what I am going for. Something much older. We're very media-conservative (though politically and religiously liberal--go figure!!). Not asking anyone here to "get" us or agree--but I knew you guys would know your stuff about Disney movies.

Keep the ideas coming--keep 'em old school classics please! Off to IMDB.

Thanks again!!!

Given what you're looking for, I would seriously recommend Disney's animated "Robin Hood." Old-fashioned, light-hearted fun, with animal characters and villains who are more silly than scary, plus some catchy songs by country singer/songwriter Roger Miller (who also narrates as Alan-a-Dale).

(As an aside, I really think Ratatouille - which I love - is one of the most 'mature' of the Pixar films, has some pretty adult themes and a rather complex story/characters.)

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh would be my choice. Very gentle, very calm, and no real "bad" guys.

ETA: Pooh is also the most like "Little Bear" in tone and theme. If your little one is used to Little Bear, Pooh should be comforting and familiar to him. The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh was always my little ones' first feature film.

Given what you're looking for, I would seriously recommend Disney's animated "Robin Hood." Old-fashioned, light-hearted fun, with animal characters and villains who are more silly than scary, plus some catchy songs by country singer/songwriter Roger Miller (who also narrates as Alan-a-Dale).

(As an aside, I really think Ratatouille - which I love - is one of the most 'mature' of the Pixar films, has some pretty adult themes and a rather complex story/characters.)

I agree about Ratatouille. DH and I watched it a year or two back while DS was sleeping--we watched it at Grandma and Grandpa with family on a holiday and nephew (4) stayed up to watch (he'd seen it before at 2 or 3) and the whole movie I was thinking "what in the heck does this have to do with kids??!!"

So I was wavering on the whole movie idea as usual until I woke up with a cold yesterday (and DH out of town!) Made it through yesterday but woke up this morning feeling terrible--with DH not expected back until 6 pm. I found Lady and the Tramp free online and we just watched it. Nice and simple, thanks for the recommendations! And I actually got to rest for 76 whole minutes!!

I would agree that The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a good choice. Other suggestions:
Mary Poppins- it is a bit long for a 3yr old but you could split it over two days
Jungle Book
And my top pick -the 1963 version(original) of The Incredible Journey. I loved this movie as a child. It follows three animals- 2 dogs, one cat- who have been left with a caretaker while their owners are away for an extended period of time. The caretaker lives 200-300 miles away from the animals' home and the animals try to find their way back home. Most of the movie is film of the journey of three animals with a narrator overlay. Very gentle movie, but if your child loves animals I think he would like it very much.

Here's the list I came up with:
Lady and the Tramp
Bambi
Fox & the Hound
Pinocchio
Dumbo
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Winnie the Pooh
Tinkerbell
A Goofy Movie

My son absolutely loved watching Dumbo. It is only about an hour long - so not too long. One of my daughter's favorites was Brave Little Toaster.

If you "do" Christmas, a very nice Christmastime DVD is "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas." It's sweet and gentle. My young children enjoy that one very much. It has a sequel, I believe, but I haven't seen that so can't recommend it.

The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh would be my choice. Very gentle, very calm, and no real "bad" guys.

ETA: Pooh is also the most like "Little Bear" in tone and theme.
I'd agree. In fact, when my son first started watching Little Bear, I was struck by how strongly the backgrounds used therein resemble those in the Winnie The Pooh films.

I'd add Pooh's Heffalump Movie (DD7's first movie at the theater when she was two) and The Tigger Movie to the list. Both are very sweet with no bad guys.

My DS's ALL time favorite when he was 3 was 101 Dalmations (the orginal animated). Perfect cuteness and a perfect villain, not too scary, just mean!
Another vote for Aristocats too.
The characters in these movies are just so lovable!
We love Robin Hood, but it always seems longer than others.

I'd stay away from Dumbo and Bambi actually. Those two scared me when I was little because the mom is taken away or dies in the movie. That's also why my DD4 has never seen the first scene in Nemo.

I second The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Mary Poppins. Both are good old fashioned fun!

Good luck!

I'll just add my 2 cents...

My older DS never really liked watching TV when he was little. I didn't force it on him, nor did I keep him away from it, just tried to steer it towards educational stuff, or things I watched when I was little. I liked Bear in the Big Blue House, but he would only ever sit through the opening song. I tried classic Disney movies with no luck. He just didn't care to sit still that long.

Then one day when he was around 2 or so, I popped in Toy Story and he was mesmerized!! Stuck to the tv like glue for almost the full movie!! Success!! This coming from a parent who couldn't get a single thing done, like laundry, dishes, shower, etc. because my ds was a mischeivous little thing that I couldn't take my eyes off of!

From there he would try other movies, but only if it was the Pixar animated ones, not classic. That lasted a few years before he would finally venture down the classic animation road. And the rest is history...and a bookshelf full of Disney movies!!

Now my younger DS? He'll only watch Thomas the Train. No Disney to speak of. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter