Mosquito Repellent?

albertamom

Mouseketeer
Working on my packing for our trip in another week. Do we need bug spray in the parks?

I am one of those people who will be the only person in a crowd who gets a bug bite, they love me. I rarely need bug spray. The mosquitos are not abundant. However there is a biting gnat in Florida and I bring home two or three bites every 'warm' trip (July-October). Jan-March no bites.

Mosquitos always bite me so we usually buy Off. This year definitely since the virus is in Florida.

I always have Off wipes with me.

If you always attract mosquitoes, you should carry repellant with you, just in case.

Another one who mosquitoes love and another with 0 bites at wdw. I always travel with the off wipes and have never needed them.

If you're going off Disney property though you might need it.

Thank you for all the quick replies!

Talk of the Zika virus is what got me thinking about it. No pregnancy worries here, but wouldn't want the virus all the same. Actually, I just don't want the bites, period. :sad2:

When I walk my dogs in the summer, I use a few drops of tea tree oil. Much healthier than using those commercial sprays. Never had a need to use it at Disney though.

Mosquitos love me as well. DH calls me his natural repellent. I have never been bitten at Disney. We have been there in Oct, Nov, Dec, Feb, March, April and May.

Glad to hear all the positive reports! I really don't want to bother with it.

In 9 trips to Disneyland, we have never been bitten, but Florida's a different bird. I didn't want to make assumptions, so came to the experts! :disrocks:

I'm pretty sure Mosquitos aren't allowed in Disney World.
I even did the Wild Africa Trek twice, where you go into the foliage along waking paths around Kilimanjaro Safari ... No bites.

We didn't need it, but if you want it, Bull Frog makes a sunscreen/bugspray combo that works really well. It's called Mosquito Coast.

We've been a ton of times throughout all months and have never gotten a single bite. I wouldn't think to bring any repellant.

I guess I must be the worst mosquito magnet of all time. Over the years there have been several occasions when I was bitten multiple times at night. On our arrival night last year, I was bitten twice while dinning in the outside seating area at Trader Sams. The year before, I was unlucky enough to be tagged three times on the same ankle while watching Wishes from Fantasyland. For our trip this year, I am bringing a spray or wipe repellent with me anytime we are going to be out in the evening.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Zika virus is not transmitting yet in Florida... Every person that has it in Florida has traveled to one of the countries where it's spreading and picked it up there. Having said that... I'm still going to be wearing OFF when I go, but I've never seen a mosquito there. I'm especially not sure since you're leaving in a week (I'm leaving in 3 weeks) if mosquitos are still active in Florida when it's in the 40's at night... Which it is usually in February.

Last edited:
I can't go outside in the summer without getting eaten alive, but I don't get bit at Disney. They spray or something down there. The only places I've ever gotten any bites was at the Ft. Wilderness campfire one September night and at the mini-golf courses. Evidently, they DON'T spray at the mini-golf places! Got eaten alive at both courses this year!

I'm from S Florida. Honestly, I'd really consider the risks. They now say it can transmit via saliva and urine. Between public restroom usage and Disney being a top destination especially for Brazilians, I am very concerned about the potential risk this carries to my family. If a person goes to Disney and is infected from a foreign country and is bitten by a regular Fl mosquito, that mosquito just became a carrier. If it was only transferred by mosquitos, you might be able to prevent most bites with repellent and Florida will be spraying like crazy! (Not sure that won't be more hazardous to our health??). But throw in the ability to catch from bodily fluids (even denying blood donations) that exponentially increases the risks. Especially in a place like Orlando. We are watching closely. The biggest question is why didn't it cause all these defects before (been around since 1940) and then all of a sudden this year, BAM! Very concerning.

I'm from S Florida. Honestly, I'd really consider the risks. They now say it can transmit via saliva and urine. Between public restroom usage and Disney being a top destination especially for Brazilians, I am very concerned about the potential risk this carries to my family. If a person goes to Disney and is infected from a foreign country and is bitten by a regular Fl mosquito, that mosquito just became a carrier. If it was only transferred by mosquitos, you might be able to prevent most bites with repellent and Florida will be spraying like crazy! (Not sure that won't be more hazardous to our health??). But throw in the ability to catch from bodily fluids (even denying blood donations) that exponentially increases the risks. Especially in a place like Orlando. We are watching closely. The biggest question is why didn't it cause all these defects before (been around since 1940) and then all of a sudden this year, BAM! Very concerning.

Which is why no one legit has definitively said that the virus is the cause. Research is being done, but no one is yet saying that there is a definitive A to B link.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter