Morning at the DMV

PigletsPal2

Queen of the Realm
Our plans to turn over two cars to DD#2 finally came to fruition today. I had called DMV on three different days with the same questions to make sure I was getting the correct information to transfer the titles to her without paying sales tax. I got the same answer all three times (no tax if we're gifting cars to DD, which we were).

So I made an appointment on line at the DMV website for 8:00 am today. DD met us there at 7:45, we went in with titles, insurance info, identification, and money to pay the fees. We were helped at the appointment desk immediately, and the clerk took all the info necessary to transfer the titles - 5 minutes. We then sat down and waited for our number to be called. Ten minutes later, we were at the desk signing over the titles, paying the fees, collecting the new license plates, and on our way. From the time we walked in, 7:45, to the time we walked out, 8:10, our business was completed.

Florida takes hits for a lot of stupid things, but Osceola County Department of Motor Vehicles could serve as a model for DMVs all over the country. Helpful, knowledgeable employees, a clean and spacious waiting room, speedy and efficient service. Who could ask for more?

Queen Colleen

That's terrific you can actually make an appointment. In NY, you have to wait in line to get a number then wait for that number to be called. There are a couple of series based on the type of transaction you require and it's like a game watching this series or that series advance. ha!

We have the same kind of quick service at our DMV here in Western MD...but I'm told it's not like that all over the place

Our plans to turn over two cars to DD#2 finally came to fruition today. I had called DMV on three different days with the same questions to make sure I was getting the correct information to transfer the titles to her without paying sales tax. I got the same answer all three times (no tax if we're gifting cars to DD, which we were).

So I made an appointment on line at the DMV website for 8:00 am today. DD met us there at 7:45, we went in with titles, insurance info, identification, and money to pay the fees. We were helped at the appointment desk immediately, and the clerk took all the info necessary to transfer the titles - 5 minutes. We then sat down and waited for our number to be called. Ten minutes later, we were at the desk signing over the titles, paying the fees, collecting the new license plates, and on our way. From the time we walked in, 7:45, to the time we walked out, 8:10, our business was completed.

Florida takes hits for a lot of stupid things, but Osceola County Department of Motor Vehicles could serve as a model for DMVs all over the country. Helpful, knowledgeable employees, a clean and spacious waiting room, speedy and efficient service. Who could ask for more?

Queen Colleen
Years ago the DMV was a disaster in Fla. But they have really done a good job in fixing up the problems.

Queen Colleen

Did the clerk greet you with "Good morning and welcome to the Osceola County Department of Motor Vehicles. My name is X, what type of services can I provide you today?" If not, you should make sure they all get fired.

Queen Colleen

I agree, even in Duval and Clay counties. In and out. The longest we waited was 45 minutes, and that was when we first moved to FL--didn't have an appointment and we were transferring 2 cars plus both our licenses.

ETA: The worst---Las Vegas. We were in to get a renewal on my license and register a car. Seven hours later, we were done. It sucked.

That's awesome! I was at the DMV yesterday in NH with my son to get his driver's license (just the written portion of the test, not even the actual road test) and was there for 2-1/2 hours! I was beyond livid with these people, but I kept my cool, lol. Another appointment for next week for the road test. Yippee. I'll make sure to bring lunch.

Did the clerk greet you with "Good morning and welcome to the Osceola County Department of Motor Vehicles. My name is X, what type of services can I provide you today?" If not, you should make sure they all get fired.

As a matter of fact, he did greet us with something like that. Started the appointment off on a good note.

Why does DD need two cars?

The second car is the "spare," used by any member of the family whose car is out of commission for any reason - in the shop for maintenance, a dead battery, flat tire, etc. Since her car is the oldest and most likely to die first, she agreed to take over the responsibility of owning the spare.

Queen Colleen

The second car is the "spare," used by any member of the family whose car is out of commission for any reason - in the shop for maintenance, a dead battery, flat tire, etc. Since her car is the oldest and most likely to die first, she agreed to take over the responsibility of owning the spare.
Thanks. That part just seemed strange to me.

Oh, when you said you called 3 different times it made me think of what we say here at my job: Call the DDS 3 different times, talk to 3 different people, and you'll get three different answers, lol. Not funny but true.

I wish we had that where I live in Va.

We have DMV select, which oddly enough in the same builiding the DMV was in years ago before the move to a bigger building to hold more people with their stupid number lotto system.

But the select is less hassle. But still, if other DMV can do appointments efficiently, why can it not be the norm?

OP glad you had a decent and quick experience.

That's terrific you can actually make an appointment. In NY, you have to wait in line to get a number then wait for that number to be called. There are a couple of series based on the type of transaction you require and it's like a game watching this series or that series advance. ha!
Sadly, I CA you can call for an appointment, or just walk in. If you have a appointment you check in and get a number and sit and wait to be called. l If you don't have an appointment you check in and get a number and sit and wait to be called. There are at least 2 different sets of numbers being called (the numbers are preceded by a letter of the alphabet), but it's impossible to tell which will come through first.

That's why, when we transferred title to our oldest car to our son, we did it at AAA. They can do some DMV procedures there and take at least 3 hours less time.

I had an appointment at our CA DMV to renew my license. Their system went down and I was there for over 8 hours. It was so frustrating because they were useless and not helpful at all in letting us know what was going on. I HAD to get it done as we were traveling soon after. Talk about a captured audience. I HATE that place more than I can say.

I've had great service at the CA DMV. First time I made an appointment and was in and out (including written test) in about half an hour. Second time I didn't have an appointment but I got their early and they were very efficient. Making an appointment was fabulous though. The people who didn't have them were waiting hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter