*More* Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews! (May 9 - May 17) With lots of pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is great. My friend, who I want to take to Disney World, is vegan and I'm considering going vegetarian, so its great to know that Disney has it covered! Looking forward to the rest!

Excellent:thumbsup2

:)

:) Glad you like us brits! ;)

Can't wait for Boma!

Thanks for such a great update again!

Of course! Sorry I've taken so long between posts. It just slipped my mind for some reason!

Great reviews. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but I find that I enjoy the vegetable and fruit based entrees more than the meat ones. I do eat meat occasionally but not often, so I'm really enjoying your reviews and I will definately remember your reccomendations on our upcoming trip. Sorry to hear about the Plaza meal, I wanted to try it next trip but after MANY bad reviews, decided not to chance it...especially after your review...how rude!

On a side note, ya'll made great time form the FL Welcome Center to WDW. How did you go? We live in GA, just over the line in the West Georgia and are debating which rout to take, as we've had reccomendations to go through AL and some say GA, so I jumped on the opportunity to ask you HOW you go. :confused3 PM, if you'd like since this is a DINING review...;) And an awesome one, at that!! :goodvibes

We get our driving directions from Yahoo! Maps, and it's always taken us from Birmingham to Atlanta and then south through GA on I-75. It's basically just a long stretch from there and then a few exits and toll roads to WDW. :thumbsup2

I can't wait to read more

I'll be adding a new review within the next few hours!

V_gan, Thanks for the Rose & Crown review. I think I'm going to try it on our visit. Do you recall (not that you have a reason to) if they had any veg options on children's menu?

I'm sorry, I don't remember what was on the children's menu. But I definitely reccomend the Rose and Crown! I'm sure if there isn't a specified kid's entree, they could make something up for you :goodvibes

I'm interested to see how this worked out! I am heading down to Disneyworld with my girlfriend in August and made an ADR for 'Ohana that I had to change (I had booked it for a Friday and learned later that chef TJ does not work on fridays or saturdays!) so after a bit of tinkering (there were no openings for a table for two at 'Ohana at ANY time during our stay that chef TJ was working, so I made an ADR for a party of 3... I got a tip from someone that doing that would somehow work...and it did). I'm eager to read your review of 'Ohana with the other chefs they have.

I just joined this site with the purpose of doing the same kind of photojournal/trip report that you've done. I think our expectations/hopes are similar (I'm vegan and my girlfriend is vegetarian/leaning vegan) so I'm interested in comparing when we get back from our trip in august.

One question I have for you - did you speak with a representative from Disney's Dietary Department (at least that's what I THINK it's called). When I make my initial ADRs a helpful cast member gave me the phone number to "the dietary line" which resulted (after a phone call and two emails) in me filling out a dietary request form that I was told would be sent to the restaurants I was eating at a day or so before our meal. I'm really interested to see if this worked out well for anyone else.

Yeah, the table of three reservation will work for you. It'll just be a table of four when you get there. We've been seated at tables of four before when there weren't tables for two.

I was given the phone number for the restaurants when I added on our "allergies", but never when I just asked them to note that I was vegan. I never did end up calling any of the restaurants, because we never had a problem on our last trip. But a dietary request form being sent to the restaurants does sound helpful! I would have liked to do that.

I can't wait to see your reviews after your trip!

Nice reviews... Everything you are eating looks very yummy... This is nice review because maybe I'll make some healthier dining options when I go next time.

Thank you :)

Come back! We're hungry for more reviews and pictures!

I'm back, I'm back! Sorry for taking so long. It just slipped my mind!

I have to admit, I wasn't going to read your report because I, myself, am not a vegan or vegetarian, but I have to say, I LOOOOVE your reviews!! I also love your pictures. You and your man are so cute!

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! Thanks so much :goodvibes

After our visit to Club Cool, we decided to ride Journey into the Imagination for the first time. After the ride, we hung out in the interactive area for about 15 minutes, and then it was time to head to the car. Our reservations were at 5:05, and we had never done the whole restaurant-at-another-resort thing. So we wanted to give ourselves enough time to get to the Animal Kingdom Lodge and find the restaurant.

Once we got out of the Epcot parking lot, it took us about 10 minutes to get to the AKL.

DD5-15.jpg

We told the CM at the gates that we had dining reservations at Boma, and he let us right through. We found a parking space, and headed into the lobby:

DD5-16.jpg

Once you're in the middle of the lobby, there are stairs to your right that take you down to both Boma and Jiko.

DD5-19.jpg

There are restrooms located behind the stairs, incase anyone wants to know:
DD5-45.jpg

DD5-17.jpg

There were quite a few people waiting to get checked into Boma, since it had just opened. So we had about a 20-minute wait once we checked in. We sat on some rocks by the water so that we could have a view of the restautant while we waited:

DD5-18.jpg

When our name was called, we were taken to our table by a very nice man whose name I can't recall. He was really friendly, and I wish he had been our server. Our server wasn't mean or rude, he just wasn't the friendliest guy.

We were seated in a little section to the right of the restaurant:
DD5-43.jpg

DD5-21.jpg

DD5-22.jpg

View from our table:
DD5-36.jpg

Here's another picture showing the vegan/vegetarian notations on our reservations:
DD5-20.jpg

Our server didn't notice the notations on our reservation, so he proceeded to let us know about all the meat selections on the buffet. He was about to walk away before I spoke up and told him that we were vegetarian and vegan. So he asked if we would like someone to walk us around the buffet. (Yes, please.) A few minutes later, the chef came to our table. His name was Lance, and he was SUCH a nice guy!

After we had a bit of a chat, he took us towards the buffet for the first time..
DD5-44.jpg

Up Next: The food!

Chef Lance took us to the meat (?) selections first, which is where everyone was lined up. They were blocking all the non-meat selections, just to get to the meat! Gross. Anyway.. haha. He decided we would go over that section last, so we walked over to the salads:

DD5-23.jpg

I'm about 95% sure all the dressings here were vegan. We had a choice of Balsamic Vinegarette, Chile Cilantro Vinegarette, Mango Vinegarette, and Apple Vinegarette.

DD5-24.jpg

Vegan Items: Kokonut Rice, Roasted Vegetables, and Cous Cous Marakesh

DD5-25.jpg

Vegan Items: Avocado-Grapefruit-Papaya Salad, Tunisian Cous Cous Salad, Pita Bread

DD5-26.jpg

Vegan Items: Watermelon Rind Salad

DD5-27.jpg

Vegan Items: Black Olive Hummus (both of the other varieties contained cheese)

DD5-28.jpg

Vegan Items: Geelrys Rice(?), Potatoes with Afritude, Tofu and Green Bean Curry, Falafel (You can see Chef Lance in the background of this picture!) Lance didn't mention the falafel when he went over all the items, so I asked and he said they were fine.

DD5-29.jpg

My first plate: Pita bread, cous cous Marakesh, roasted vegetables, kokonut rice, Tunisian cous cous salad, avocado-grapefruit-papaya salad, and a dollop of black olive hummus.

The pita bread and hummus were nothing special. I *loved* the roased vegetables with the kokonut rice. This is going to sound weird, but the kokonut rice almost tasted like popcorn. I guess it's because they use coconut oil on popcorn so much these days? The Tunisian cous cous salad wasn't my favorite, and I didn't like the Avocado-grapefuit-papaya salad at all. I don't like grapefuit, so that explains that :thumbsup2 I loved the Cous Cous Marakesh, because this was the same cous cous dish I had at Tusker House! YUM!

DD5-30.jpg

Jon's first plate: Mixed field greens with apple vinegarette, Tunisian cous cous salad, pita bread with either sundried tomato or white bean hummus (can't remember), kokonut rice, fufu, and (I think) Pap and Chaka Laka (whatever that is).

He liked the apple vinegarete and the hummus. I don't think he liked the kokonut rice. He said the fufu was similar to sweet potatoes. I can't remember what he thought about the cous cous or that last dish (I can't even remember what was in it)

The meat line finally went down after we finished our first plates, so we were able to make it to the non-meat section over in that area on our second trip.

DD5-31.jpg

My second plate: Geelrys rice (?), mealie bread, cous cous Marakesh, falafel, tofu and green bean curry, potatoes with afritude.

I didn't like the rice. The mealie bread.. OMG. It was so good. It was a sweet, moist cornbread. I was so suprised and happy when Lance said it was vegan! Yum, yum, yum! The falafel was really good. The curry wasn't very flavorful, so I didn't like it. I did like the potatoes, though!

(Edited to say that upon looking at recipes posted online, both the falafel and mealie bread appear to have eggs in them. The cornbread recipe also shows milk as an ingredient. This contradicts what I was told by the chef, so I'm not sure if the recipes have changed or if the ones posted online are the same as what they actually use :confused3)

DD5-32.jpg

Jon's second plate: Macaroni and cheese, falafel with yogurt-mustard sauce, Geelrys rice, fufu, roasted vegetables.

He always loves mac-n-cheese. He liked the falafel. I don't think he liked the rice. He obviously must have liked the fufu, since he got more. And I think he enjoyed the roasted vegetables.

After our second plates, Jon decided to get a plate of fruit. He was determined not to miss out on all the fresh fruit at this buffet, so he made sure to save some room this time :lmao:
DD5-33.jpg

DD5-34.jpg

Jon's fruit plate: Pineapple, watermelon, strawberries, grapes.

While he was munching healthily on a plate of fresh fruit, I decided to get another plate of all my favorites..
DD5-35.jpg

My third plate: Roasted vegetabels, kokonut rice, falafel, mealie bread, and cous cous Marakesh.

Best. Plate. Ever.

Chef Lance had mentioned that he could get me some Tofutti (or Rice Dream) ice cream when checked in on us during our meal. So I asked our server about it, and he said he would get some. I asked for chocolate, but when our server came back he said they were pretty much out of chocolate, so this is what I got:

DD5-37.jpg

It was fine. I just ate all the chocolate that was there, and Jon ate the rest of the vanilla.

Jon wanted to go back and get a few more small desserts, so I went up with him.

**There are no vegan items in the following buffet pictures:
DD5-38.jpg

DD5-39.jpg

DD5-40.jpg

DD5-41.jpg

Jon's dessert plate: Fruit tarts, chocolate mouse crunch, pineapple upside-down cheesecake, and a piece of watermelon rind salad (which I put on there!)

He loved it all. I only ate the watermelon rind salad. It was good, but much too ginger-y. I liked it, but I couldn't have eaten more than that.

After our meal, we headed back upstairs to the lobby. Then we walked outside to take a peek at some of the animals. We witnessed some vicious bird fights. We also saw zebras and kudus. It was a lot of fun.

After we left, we went back to Epcot and walked around The Seas. The manatees were sleeping, but, oh, they were so cute. We rode Soarin', watched Illuminations from Canada, and called it a night.

Verdict: Boma is a must-do on future trips! I don't think I could ever pass it up again. It was so good, and there was so much variety. The atmosphere was lovely, and it was really nice to be able to check out the resort for the first time.

Coming Up: Restaurantasaurous, Dinoland frozen treat cart, Cantina de San Angel, Sunshine Seasons

V-gan, awesome review of Boma. Pictures are great! I've heard so much about Boma already and your post confirms that it is a must visit for vegetarians. Thank you!

Your reviews are great! I'm vegan, actually, I'm a raw vegan most of the time, but that was nearly impossible at WDW, so I made some exceptions. I found it terribly difficult at the CS restaurants (don't eat bread either so many CS options were out), but LOVED Boma and Tusker House! They are on my list for this October and a few others now after reading your reviews! So they told you when you made your ADR's that they were noting that you were vegan? I was going to just say I had an allergy this time b/c last year they would not note it. Can't wait to hear about Ohana!

Loving your reviews! I'm one of those back and forth vegetarians, lol. My parents became vegetarians when I was 10, so most of my diet didn't (and still doesn't) consist of meat. I was doing really well last fall and winter, until we went to WDW. The choices at the restaurants we went to were so limited. It's so nice to see that there are some restaurants with lots of variety! I apparently just picked the wrong restaurants. That's what happens when you go on vacation with a father-in-law who used to run the meat dept for a regional grocery chain :lmao:. How did I not know that they served veggie burgers at most places???? Man, our next two trips are going to be great, no more greasy WDW cs burgers, woo hoo!:cool1: We have Boma and Tusker House (1st time for both) on our ADR list for Nov, I'm so excited!!! Thanks again!

Hey V_gan, you forgot to finish your reviews!

I am vegetarian and loving your thread. My absolute favorite restaurant in WDW is Boma -- we veggies are treated like royalty there and the food is incredible.

I didn't know about Tusker House, so I'll definitely give it a try!!! The food looked so good in your post.

Hey, OT...is Jon into martial arts? His knuckles look like he's been hitting the makiwara board.

Please please please finish your thread! :guilty:

such a great review - and so nice to find one that includes vegetarian/vegan choices around wdw! :) can't wait to read the rest! :)

V-gan, awesome review of Boma. Pictures are great! I've heard so much about Boma already and your post confirms that it is a must visit for vegetarians. Thank you!

Definitely a must-do for vegetarians! Plenty of variety.

Your reviews are great! I'm vegan, actually, I'm a raw vegan most of the time, but that was nearly impossible at WDW, so I made some exceptions. I found it terribly difficult at the CS restaurants (don't eat bread either so many CS options were out), but LOVED Boma and Tusker House! They are on my list for this October and a few others now after reading your reviews! So they told you when you made your ADR's that they were noting that you were vegan? I was going to just say I had an allergy this time b/c last year they would not note it. Can't wait to hear about Ohana!

I can imagine it would be hard to do raw vegan eating out, period. But, yes, they said they would note vegan on the reservations and it was on the tickets our servers recieved after we were seated. Saying I had an allergy really just confused our servers, rather than help us. So I think I'll just stick with telling them I'm vegan.

Loving your reviews! I'm one of those back and forth vegetarians, lol. My parents became vegetarians when I was 10, so most of my diet didn't (and still doesn't) consist of meat. I was doing really well last fall and winter, until we went to WDW. The choices at the restaurants we went to were so limited. It's so nice to see that there are some restaurants with lots of variety! I apparently just picked the wrong restaurants. That's what happens when you go on vacation with a father-in-law who used to run the meat dept for a regional grocery chain :lmao:. How did I not know that they served veggie burgers at most places???? Man, our next two trips are going to be great, no more greasy WDW cs burgers, woo hoo!:cool1: We have Boma and Tusker House (1st time for both) on our ADR list for Nov, I'm so excited!!! Thanks again!

I've found plenty to eat at every Disney restaurant I've been to. I imagine it would be much easier for a vegetarian. You can also get veggie burgers at many of the table service restaurants, by request.

You will love Boma and Tusker House!

Hey V_gan, you forgot to finish your reviews!

I am vegetarian and loving your thread. My absolute favorite restaurant in WDW is Boma -- we veggies are treated like royalty there and the food is incredible.

I didn't know about Tusker House, so I'll definitely give it a try!!! The food looked so good in your post.

Hey, OT...is Jon into martial arts? His knuckles look like he's been hitting the makiwara board.

Please please please finish your thread! :guilty:

No, I didn't forget. I've just been busy.

And, no. He bites his fingers and knukles. It makes them red pretty much all the time.

such a great review - and so nice to find one that includes vegetarian/vegan choices around wdw! :) can't wait to read the rest! :)

I'll add some more reviews today :)

Today was our Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Fantasmic day. We went to AK in the morning. We rode EE and KS, explored Rafiki's Planet Watch, and just walked on some trails around the Tree of Life. Since meeting Flik was my main character mission on this trip, I was asking around where I could find Flik all day. Eventually we went to the front of the park to ask Guest Services where we could find him. We also wanted to ask about the vegetarian options for the Picnic in the Park lunch, since I had seen this on our TV in the room:

DD7-1.jpg

See that? "Now including vegetarian items". It was a LIE! And the woman at the podium literally laughed when we asked about it. So annoying. I understand they really do have vegetarian options now, but they shouldn't have advertised that on the resort TVs if they weren't ready at the time. We really would have liked to do the Picnic in the Park :sad2:

The good news is that the nice lady at Guest Services told me where I could find Flik. I believe she said he would be there at 12:45. So we decided to eat lunch at Restaurantasaurous and then head back to the front of the park.

DD6-1.jpg

DD6-3.jpg

DD6-4.jpg

Since we decided to eat lunch right around 12:00, we were welcomed by this:
DD6-5.jpg

HUGE lines. And it's not visible in the picture, but there were quite a few school groups there. They all acted fine, but they took up SO many tables.

Here's a picture of the toppings bar:
DD6-6.jpg

Fun details:
DD6-7.jpg

Ceiling in the room we sat in:
DD6-9.jpg

I LOVE THIS:
DD6-10.jpg

How cute is that?! I just love how it looks like someone just drew it with a pencil, and how they used the little box on the wall. Such awesome theming. It's the Disney difference!:thumbsup2

Me and Jon both got the veggie burger with fries:
DD6-8.jpg

There were so many people at the toppings bar, along with CMs trying to refill everything. I was just trying to get out of there because it was literally stressing me out trying to sqeeze in to get something. One of the pumps wasn't labeled and it had red stuff coming out of it, so I assumed it was ketchup. It ended up being BBQ sauce. So that basically ruined my burger. I ate it, just because I needed something in my stomach. But, ugh. Gross.

I don't blame the restaurant for me having such a crappy experience. It was our fault for going at such a peak lunch hour. There were just too many people. The burger would have been fine if I hadn't accidentally put BBQ sauce on it. They should probably label things better, though. Because if that pump had a label, I definitely didn't see it. I didn't even know they had BBQ sauce available as a topping! Oh well. I'm dragging this out. :laughing:

I enjoyed the restuarant overall, and I would definitely go back again. Just at a better time :thumbsup2

Anyway, so after we finished eating, we headed back to the front of the park. Flik was already out there, along with Meeko, Brer Rabbit, and Timon. I had to get my picture with Meeko first, because I had never seen him before. But then I jumped right in line for Flik! When it was my turn to meet him, I gave him a big hug and told him he was my hero (which he is!):

DD6-11.jpg

He autographed my book with a little heart instead of a dot for the "i" in his name :goodvibes He left after us, and I went to the bathroom. When I came back out, here comes Flik again WITH PRINCESS ATTA!!! :woohoo: I was so freakin' excited! We jumped back in line for pictures, and Jon got in this time.

DD6-13.jpg

DD6-14.jpg

*sigh* A Bug's Life is my absolute favorite Disney/Pixar movie. I was so excited to finally meet Flik. Mission Accomplished.

After walking around and looking at various animals, we decided to try the Finding Nemo show. After the show, we used out EE Fastpasses and then headed into Dinoland. It was really hot, so we decided to stop at a frozen treat cart for some snacks.

DD6-15.jpg

Jon got the frozen banana, I got an Edy's strawberry bar.

I've read many times that the frozen bananas in the park are vegan, but they're not.
DD6-16.jpg

It's hard to tell, but they contain whey powder, which comes from milk. So, fine for vegetarians - not for vegans.

Me enjoying my strawberry bar:
DD6-17.jpg

Jon enjoying his banana:
DD6-19.jpg

It's always nice to share!
DD6-18.jpg

I love Edy's strawberry bars, and I get them at home. So obviously I enjoyed mine ;) Jon liked his banana, too.

Coming Up: Cantina de San Angel, Sunshine Seasons

Thank you so much for posting such great reviews and wonderful pictures! My 20-year old daughter is a vegetarian and we are going to Disney in Sept. You have eaten at several places that were on our list, so I'm going to be telling her to read your reviews! She also doesn't like spicy foods and is picky, so it is helpful to read about Jon's experiences.

I'm going to have to read your older reviews too! If you haven't tried the Backlot Express at the Disney Studios, they have a really great grilled vegetable sandwich. Not sure if it's vegan, but my picky vegetarian daughter liked it!! (and so did I!)

Thank you so much for posting!!!

On a side note, I love the vintage tees you guys are wearing in your pictures! :)

If you have

:goodvibes

Loving your review!

I'm glad! :)

Thank you so much for posting such great reviews and wonderful pictures! My 20-year old daughter is a vegetarian and we are going to Disney in Sept. You have eaten at several places that were on our list, so I'm going to be telling her to read your reviews! She also doesn't like spicy foods and is picky, so it is helpful to read about Jon's experiences.

I'm going to have to read your older reviews too! If you haven't tried the Backlot Express at the Disney Studios, they have a really great grilled vegetable sandwich. Not sure if it's vegan, but my picky vegetarian daughter liked it!! (and so did I!)

Thank you so much for posting!!!

On a side note, I love the vintage tees you guys are wearing in your pictures! :)

If you have

I'm glad my reviews are helpful!

We meant to try the Backlot Express on this trip, but it was closed for the night when we went. My sister went there in 2007, and she got the sandwich without the cheese and she loved it.

Thanks! We like to try to theme what we're wearing to where we're going. :lmao:

Thanks again for the great reviews! I'm so glad you tried Boma and that you liked it there. We're not buffet fans, but I LOVE Boma. So many interesting choices there. And it's a treat to get to check out the animals at AKL, too!:)

Plasticletters and I are going to Disney August 16th and we have reservations for 'Ohana. We aren't sure if Chef TJ will be there or not so we are anxiously awaiting for your review on this other chef!

Also, your reviews have been very helpful to both of us. Thanks for posting! :)

Plasticletters and I are going to Disney August 16th and we have reservations for 'Ohana. We aren't sure if Chef TJ will be there or not so we are anxiously awaiting for your review on this other chef!

Is there any way to find out Chef TJ's schedule? We're booked for Ohana on 8/28 (I'm a vegetarian and he made such an awesome tofu and vegetable dish for me when he was at Boma) and I'd love to see him again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter