More park time or TS for first visitors?

More park time or TS meals for first time visitors?

• One TS ADR every day of vacation

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • 2 days at end of vacation with no ADR

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I'm having a hard time deciding which plan to go for. Our trip is next month, 8 adults. Myself and DD go to WDW at least twice a year, DH and my other 3 adult kids go every 3-5 years and we are bringing 2 adult first time visitors. We have 7 full days in the parks and my dilemma is do we keep the TS ADR's I have planned (1 each day) or stick with the 5 I had originally planned leaving 2 days at the end for looser planned days? ADR's are:
Epcot: Dinner at Tuttu Italia-arrival day
MK: Dinner at 'Ohana
HS: Lunch at Sci-Fi
MK: Dinner at Skipper Canteen
DS: Dinner at Raglan Road
AK: Dinner at Yak & Yeti
Epcot; Lunch at San Angel-departure day
If we stick with my original plan we would just do cs and drop Yak & Yeti and San Angel. Money doesn't factor in here at all as it is only a bit more to do those TS over CS using DxDDP credits. I am really just thinking of making it to ADR's every day.

I agree with keeping them all. Another good tip in case you forget to cancel within the 24 hour window, you can just amend the booking to a later date then cancel that booking without being charged. We changed our mind about BOG dinner due to tiredness so we changed it to a breakfast a few days later (all that was available) then I cancelled that one and so wasn't charged.

Last edited:
I agree keep em till the required time then change as needed based on the vibe of ur group.
Only other thought... skipper canteen, lots of "eh" talk out there. Perhaps consider another choice?
Happy Travels!

I agree keep em till the required time then change as needed based on the vibe of ur group.
Only other thought... skipper canteen, lots of "eh" talk out there. Perhaps consider another choice?
Happy Travels!
I recently switched Skipper Canteen from WCC. As much as I wanted to try WCC I thought the transportation time would take away too much park time from MK. We usually do rope drop until around 1pm then resort time from 1-4 then back to parks for early dinner. If we stayed in the parks all day I wouldn't question the TS every day at all but if I'm going to insist on rope drop, the rest of the family needs a midday break.

Last edited:
I think your plan looks great. I would keep all the ADR's. If you feel it is too many once you are there, you can modify your plans
Have a great trip

I agree with others. Keep the ADRs and re-evaluate the night before. I always end up over-scheduling ADRs because sometimes we find something else we want to do or we switch parks around.

Ask them! I personally prefer TS. Im not a counter, carry, search for table person on vacation..or at home. With 3 kids in tow, I dont want to be looking for a table, then cleaning it to my satifaction. On the rare occasion I take my kids to a fast food place, I end up cleaning the table the best I can, then open up all the napkins to cover the table completely, then go to the bathroom to wash my hands before touching the food. Then after they eat, cleaning up the table again. Its a project.

If youre on the DxDDP, you'll need a lot more reservations...unless youre using one rooms DxDDP to cover another rooms guests.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that for a first time visitor park time is the most important consideration. Unless, of course, you are on a 20 day trip. :)

Which would suit your fellow travellers' styles best? Have a good chat about this with your friends! i think I would keep the ADRs, but let them know they could opt to join you, or not, as each day plays out.

Honestly, for my first 5 visits - which began when I was 40 - you would have had to have tied me to a chair to get me to "waste" that much touring time every day. Many years and trips later, time spent at a nice TS meal can be the best part of the day. Of course, I am also at the point that I often take in only a few attractions per park, just new ones and old favourites.

BTW.. your choices look great, and dinner is certainly a great way to relax and ease into the evening if you have plans.

If you are going for F&W, I would drop San Angel Inn and just hop around Word Showcase. I don't know about doing Mexican food before a trip in a car or plane :rolleyes1But your choices look good and I would keep what you have and like PPs just cancel if you felt the need.

I can see the thinking behind "more time in the parks", but if you're only considering bailing on 2 TS meals, how much time in the parks would that buy you? Maybe 2 hours total? I think the break is nice to have. I might have a different take if this was just a 3-day trip. But with 7 days, you'll have plenty of park time.

I also echo what others have said: I'd keep all the ADRs and you can always cancel within 24hrs if you change your mind later.

Thank you everyone. I'm not sure it would help to ask them what they would prefer because I know they really can't wrap their heads around what Disney is. Normally you would assume 20 year-olds would want to go, g,o go but I find I am the one that will stay longer in the parks while they go back to the resort for a nap! I have started following the advice of not overwhelming first time guests with too much info as they just can't process it. I am going to stick with the 1 TS per day and they can opt out if they choose to. They are not going to see everything anyway and I know for most people the unique Disney restaurants are a fun experience. We have to eat anyway and if a TS takes 45 minutes longer than CS, so be it. I did rearrange some ADR's so that we are not spending time traveling for meals. I think that's the best I can do. Thanks for helping me make peace with my plans :daisy:

If you are going for F&W, I would drop San Angel Inn and just hop around Word Showcase. I don't know about doing Mexican food before a trip in a car or plane :rolleyes1But your choices look good and I would keep what you have and like PPs just cancel if you felt the need.
LOL. San Angel is our last day lunch and ME won't pick us up until 7 PM. We will probably have left over snack credits so the food booths is my plan for a light dinner that evening.

Depending on the ages of the others and how much relaxing/versus commando park doing they will like & can handle, table service can offer a much needed break without leaving the park, actually giving you more park time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter