Mom's 3rd "Last Trip" to Disney

chaoscent

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
My 85 year old mom has been going to Disney since they opened. This last trip was her 19th trip. When Disney opened we were grown and out of the house ergo her trips were with her “lady friends” (Daddy had no desire to go to Disney :scared1:), with my sister and then lately, family trips. About 6 years ago she decided that she wanted to take one last trip to Disney, so I arranged it. My brother, his family, DH & I took Mom to the Wilderness Lodge & Disney. It was a wonderful trip. She was in a wheelchair, but we took her to the parks everyday and she really enjoyed herself. She came home raving about the good time she had. :grouphug:
2 ½ years ago my nephew-in-law came home from Iraq. He is a Disney fanatic so arranged a Disney trip for my niece (Jen) and their 3 children. Mommy wanted to go with and see her great-grandchildren at Disney. So she called me and said she would like to take “one last trip” to Disney. So again I arranged the trip. This time it was for my sister (Jen’s mom), DH & I. We stayed at Old Key West as I am now a DVC member. My niece and her family stayed at the Poly with an upgrade to Concierge. Again, Mommy came home raving about the trip. She told me she loved it but it was a bit too much for her and she didn’t think she would be going back.
Well my niece had another child. The first (and only) great grandson. They arranged a trip to go in June of this year as my nephew is going to Kansas and will probably be deployed after that and they weren't certain when their next trip would be. Around Christmas, Mommy said, “you know what, I really would like to go on one last trip and see my great grandson with Mickey Mouse as that is his favorite character” (it’s also my Mom’s favorite character). So my sister and I arranged to take her down. We stayed at the Contemporary on DVC points. I borrowed points so we could have a castle view. I told the desk that it was Mom’s last trip and we had a perfect room on the 6th floor with a great view of the castle and the fireworks. This trip was harder than the others and she only made it to the park one day out of the 5 she was there. But she went to meals with the kids and had the bestest time at Chef Mickey’s and we got some great shots of her great grandson hugging Mickey. She had tears in her eyes.
We got home last Thursday and she slept most of the day on Friday as the plane trip took a lot out of her. I saw her on Saturday and she went on and on about how wonderful her trip was. Sunday night she was rushed to the hospital with an aneurism in her Aorta. They transferred her to the Hospital of University of Penn from her local hospital. She had emergency surgery Monday morning and pulled through it.
Hopefully she will be moved from ICU tomorrow or Friday. I was in the hospital with her last night and she said “thank you for my last trip to Disney, it was one of the best ones ever”. I cried most of the way home. It was worth every penny I spent on it & I was so glad that we were able to do something for her as she has done so much for others over the years.
I am really not sure why I am posting this on the boards. I think because most of you understand how much these trips have meant to her and us. Any pixie dust you can send her way so she heals up and gets to come home quickly would be greatly appreciated. I know I am blessed to have her. We lost our Dad 7 years ago and I am thankful for anything I can do to make her smile. Disney really is a magical place.:flower3:

Sending a ton of Pixie Dust and praying she gets another "Last Trip" to Disney

Ok ... that made me cry. I'm so glad she got her trip, and I'm sending positive thoughts your way that she recovers and comes home soon!

Oh, my! Your mom has done well with her "last trips" living them as fully as she was able. Good for her!

Lots of love to her for sharing so much with her family. Hope she lives well and fully as long as she lives.

Penny, you are making me cry!

I'm praying for your Mom's recovery. I'm so glad she's had a few really terrific trips in recent years. I know that's what I'd want in my memory too!

God bless you all!

Dawn

MAN what a story, now Im sitting in my seat crying. What a great story. Tell her we are all praying for her. I hope Ill have a story like this when Im in my 80's.

I'm welling up! I'm so happy that your mom has had more than one wonderful 'last trip' to WDW. What great memories she made, and will passed down through the generations. Hugs to you, your mom, and the rest of your family. :grouphug:

What a beautiful story. I am keeping your DM in my prayers.

I lost my Dad 4 years ago unexpectedly in an industrial accident. We never no when our Disney trip will be our last. your Mom has the right idea to make the most out of each one. Hugs to you and your family. :hug:

Crying here too. So glad she had such happy memories from all of her 'last trips.' She is in my thoughts, as are you.

Oh this post made me cry. Sending you much love and pixie dust during this difficult time. :grouphug:

This post definitely reminded me that as much of a struggle my mom can be sometimes, going to WDW with her will be worth it.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Mom "knows" the podcast crew as I talk about them and knows I have friends on the boards. I tell her stories of the different things that happen on the boards. She will ask where does Kevin recommend we eat, has Pete had any good rants lately and how did the commitment ceremony that happened on your birthday go? :lmao: So I will pass on your wishes, prayers and kind words and she will be the better for them and appreciate them as much as I do. :hug:
Again, thank you, Penny:hippie:

I am wiping away the tears, with a big lump in my throat. Thanks for sharing your family story with us. Us "disney" lovers, understand. I am sending out a special prayer right now for your mom's healing. The big mouse understands too!

I'm sending a bunch of pixie dust as well, for healing, memories, family time and more last trips! :grouphug:

pixiedust: and prayers. How wonderful for you, your mom, and your family for those "last" Disney trips.

I'm thinking of your mother this morning and praying that she is doing much better. So glad that you all made time to make these wonderful memories and pray that you have the opportunity for a 4th "last trip". Thank you for sharing your beautiful story.

Oh this post made me cry. Sending you much love and pixie dust during this difficult time. :grouphug:

This post definitely reminded me that as much of a struggle my mom can be sometimes, going to WDW with her will be worth it.

Yup, this. I'm taking my mom to watch me run the marathon in January, and as big a pain as she can be, I am going to be glad to have more Disney memories with her.

chaoscent, I wish you and your family a lot of love and peace!

Lots of love and good wishes headed your way! What a beautiful story - it really does underscore how magical a place Disney is for so many of us. I'm glad you'll always have those memories to treasure, and I hope you get to add to that collection soon.

XO
Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter