Mommy-Daughter PRINCESS Trip (BBB, CRT, Tea Party) Photos & VIDEO RECAP/HIGHLIGHTS

DAY 5: AIRPORT DRAMA CONTINUED

After checking and re-checking numerous times to make sure that I wasn't overlooking the camera somewhere (similar to the sunglasses on the head moments I have been known to have), panic started to set in when I realized it was gone.

I immediately alerted the flight attendant and told her that my camera was missing and in one of 3 places: (1) front check-in gate, (2) security, or (3) the washroom beside our boarding gate.

My best guess at the moment was that I had left it hanging in the bathroom stall in the washroom just beside our Gate as we had been in such a hurry to get out of there as the aircraft was boarding.

I realize that flight crew have a whole host of things to do when an aircraft is preparing for take-off and that a passenger's missing camera would not be high on the priority list. However, it was so hard to report the camera as missing and then have to sit back in my seat and do nothing as people, including the flight attendants were laughing and joking and carrying on and I just want to dash out of the plane and begin a frantic search (that is, after first throwing up!)

I asked the flight attendant if I could quickly get off the plane to check in the washroom but not surprisingly this was not possible. I then asked if she could have the gate agent check. She said she would. I also asked her to have someone contact the front check-in agents and security.

I stayed in my seat (which was so hard) and tried to remain calm. Inside I was breaking down. Of course I couldn't let DD see this so I tried to keep up a good front. I kept telling her that someone would find it and return it to us.

In my own mind I was sure I would never see it again.

During our May Trip when I left the camera under the seat of the rental van, I was so confident that it would be returned. I called, after all, 10-15 minutes after the van was turned in. They would surely have it, right?

Even after the sick feeling sunk in when I realized that it had been stolen I was sure that whoever took it would mail me the memory card or at least a disc with the 600 or 700 photos of my kids' first ever Trip to Disney on it. I could not imagine anyone looking at the pictures of my kids and just callously deleting them. Obviously I was wrong.

Now I just had no hope left. I was sure it was gone.

Still, my mind kept racing trying to figure out where I had left it.

I remembered all of the pictures we had taken in the Airport. I remembered having the camera when we passed through Security - whether that was the first or second time I couldn't recall.

Then I remebered having the camera when we were back at the check-in gate getting the 2 agents to box up my gift basket. I also remembered how distracted I had been at the time; it was getting late for the flight and DD was running around not staying beside me. I was sure that this is where I must have left it.

I paged the flight attendant again. By this time she reported that the gate agent had made her way to the bathroom and the camera wasn't there. I told her that I now believed that I had left it at the front check-in when I went back to check my carry on gift basket. I asked her if she could call there right away.

Then I sat back with nothing more I could do but to re-live the whole thing again and again in my mind and try and comprehend how this could have happened.

When I bought the original camera in May 2007, it was a big purchase for me. At the time the camera retailed for close to $900 by the time you added the bag and photocard. Obviously when touring the Parks for the week that thing never left my side. A week later, on our way home, I do the unthinkable and leave it under the seat of a rental van!

The loss of my camera on our May Trip, as you would have read earlier, was the whole reason for this September Trip. So how could this have happened again????

For all of my vigilence in May in guarding that camera, during our September Trip it went to a whole new level. That camera literally did not leave my neck during this Trip. I guarded it with my life and sat through many uncomfortable meals with the strap digging into me for fear that if I took it off I would somehow forget to pick it up again when we left.

So again, how could this have happened???

Basically, it all boiled down to one foolish mistake. Instead of just turning over the Basin gift basket to Security, I made a terrible decision that threw us into panick mode, rushing around the airport at the last minute trying to get it checked, back through Security and to the Gate without missing our flight. Ironic when we had originally arrived with so much time to kill!

And also, how ironic that on both Trips I lost the camera literally AT THE AIRPORT, on the last day of each Trip, after having poured blood, sweat and tears into trying to capture the best photographs that I could of my kids' first Trips to Disney.

It was quite simply too cruel for words. And unimaginable. How could something like this possibly happen TWICE????

TO BE CONTINUED

that would be terrible that they would not let you off the plane to look. I would have been arrested. :rotfl2:

I am literally on the edge of my seat, wanting to bite my nails and nearly in tears thinking about this happening to you...again! Please don't wait to long to update b/c my stomach is in knots!!!!!!!!

:faint: ahg how could you do this to us!

PS the outfits you had made for your DD is that person available online?
thanks
I would like a couple things made for my daughter!

Im sad that your next installment might be your last :idea:

DAY 5: AIRPORT DRAMA CONTINUED

I continued waiting in my seat for any news. Eventually the pilot came on and announced that we would be leaving. One of the flight attendants came back and advised me that they had not been able to turn up anything on the camera.

I am surprised I was able to hold it together. By this point there was no more keeping up a brave face for DD. I told her that it was gone.

We got pushed back from the Gate and started taxing down the runway, taking off from Orlando and leaving our camera behind.

Shortly after we levelled off and the routine announcements were completed, the pilot came over the speaker and made the following announcement:

"I just want to say that for the lady who lost her camera, it has been found. It should be waiting safe and sound for you in Toronto".

I just about shouted for joy! All of the other passengers around me, who by this point were somewhat aware of the situation, congratulated me and of course DD was so happy that her regular mommy was back. (For the last 20 minutes I basically could not even talk to her I was so torn up.)

The flight attendant then came down to advise me that it had indeed been left at the front check-in desk when I had returned to check the gift basket. She advised that it had been placed in a box with the gift basket and that I could claim it at the Baggage Counter in Toronto.

Finally, I could sit back and enjoy the Flight!

Unfortunately, my relief was short-lived. After arriving in Toronto, and spending over an hour trying to claim my package, WestJet finally admitted that there had been an error and the package was not actually on the Flight.

They advised that they were confident that it had in fact been located at the front check-in desk but that the package did not make it on the flight in time. The plan was for the package to be sent out on the next flight the following day.

With nothing else I could do, we left to go to our Gate for our connecting flight and made the sad flight home without the camera.

That evening and the next day, I was on the phone almost hourly with airline employees to confirm that my camera was in fact located and would be on that day's flight. Finally, 2 hours after the Orlando - Toronto flight landed at Pearson I received a call to advise that my package was again not on the flight. No one seemed to know why and since the employees who worked in Orlando only did 1 flight a day for WestJet, there would be no answers until the next day.

By this point I was furious. In the first place, I could not understand how or why the camera was not delivered to me on the plane by one of the agents at the front check-in. As this was the only WestJet flight of the day out of Orlando, and the flight closed while I was at the desk, there were no more passengers for them to process. Surely one of these two agents could have ensured that the camera was delivered to me at the gate before the flight took off.

Alternatively, why could they not have called to let the gate or the flight crew know that they had the camera? If I had been advised before the flight took off I would have disembarked and waited until the next day to fly home rather than leave the camera.

Now, there were continued errors in that I was advised for two days now that the camera would be on the Orlando to Toronto flight and it was not.

As I saw it, the more time that passed, the less chance I would have of ever seeing that camera again.

The following day I was on the phone to numerous agents trying to confirm that the camera would be delivered. I spoke to a total of 5 agents in Canada (two in my hometown, two in Toronto and one in Calgary). Shockingly, all advised me that they had no way whatsoever to telephone WestJet agents in Orlando to confirm that the camera would in fact be on that day's flight.

I then called up the Orlando International Airport myself, asked to speak with the WestJet ticket counter, and after 2 minutes on hold was speaking with an agent. She of course knew of the situation and assured me that the camera would make that flight. It did.

When I finally got the package, I was very nervous, expecting that the camera would either be broken from the cargo ride home, or that the memory card would not be working. I was almost in tears to discover that the camera was fully intact and working and discovering that all 700 of my pictures from the Trip were still on the memory card!:worship:

I cannot even express the relief, joy and happiness I felt at that moment.

UP NEXT: FINAL THOUGHTS

Glad to know I am not alone! LOL

First I want to commet on the Princess Tea Party. We are going to WDW in Nov 2009 and my kids will be DS10, DS8 and DD4 and seeing those photos just confirmed that me and DD will be doing that tea also. I totally think it's woth the money but that's me, to do at least once. Now the cherry thing :lmao: , I'm still laughing. I would have been mortified as well, yucky. If this makes you feel better, I took DS8 and DS6 for a haircut yesterday at the barber. Well they give the kids lollipops when they are done and the barber gave one to DD2. She apparently dropped it on the floor and then picked it up and put it right in her mouth before I could grab it. So at least the cherry was clean. Glad that you were able to enjoy an adult meal. Enjoying your TR and the video was very nice.

Thanks everyone for posting and your kind words.

It's great to see I picked up some new readers on my Last Day!

Wowsie..soooooo glad you received your camera back...I cannot even imagine how you were feeling. Thanks again for sharing your trip with all of us. :tinker:

I'm so happy you got your camera back! Even though it took a few days and it must have been terrible to just wait, in the end you didn't lose your pictures. I'm happy to hear that the agents at the ticket counter took care of your camera, even if it didn't get to you when they said it would.

Are you ready to plan another trip to Disney?

You told that story so well! Glad your camera got back in working order. I can't imagine how stressful those few days of waiting must have been!

I too am glad that you got your camera back, I know that panic feeling of how can I lose something.

Can you also pm where you got the lovely clothes for your daughter, and also your experience with Customs and US vendors. I like you also buy things on line and have them shipped to the hotel I am staying in at the states, I hate to pay the extra customs and duty charges.

Thank you for sharing your report, I am even more excited about taking my girls myself in March.

glad this camera story turned out better than the last but to have to wait 2 days for it. I would have been going crazy.
glad u got it. :thumbsup2

I am so happy that you got your camera back and with every single picture. I can't even begin to express what I would have felt like too. For it to happen again, losing a camera and losing those pictures again. I am so happy for you. Can't wait for more.

I've been following your TR for awhile now. I almost cried when I first read that you didn't have your camera on the airplane. Of course I realized a few seconds later that it must have turned up eventually with all those photos you've posted. I bet it was pretty emotional to write these installments of your TR, that doesn't sound like a fun thing to reminisce about. Other than that, sounds like your trip was a blast. I've enjoyed reading your whole report. Hopefully you can have many more Disney trips for your kids in the future! :goodvibes

I've read your whole trip report and I love love love love it!!!:love: :banana: Your daughter is so precious and awesome! Love all the pictures and I am so glad that you got your camera back in tact. We just got a new camera before we went for Christmas and I would of been devastated if anything were to happen to it as we took lots of pictures too. Can't wait to hear your final thoughts, but at the same time am so sad that your trippie is almost come to an end. Great job!:thumbsup2

I wish I knew how to do multiple quotes, but I haven't yet figured that out!

So...in order to avoid doing multiple posts on the same topic, let me just say thanks to everyone who expressed their relief at the outcome with the camera. There is really no way to describe how low it felt for me for 3 days to be without my camera, thinking all the while that there was a very good possibility that it was forever lost!:scared1: For the 2nd time!!!:sad2:

There is also no way to express the relief in having it returned!:worship:

As someone even surmised, this last post was actually kind of a downer as it really brought back all the stress and emotions again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter