Mommy came home and wanted to run a half marathon

swimchick1984

Mouseketeer
So what is mommy (me) coming home form? Why that would be Kabual, Afghanistan. I just spent a lovely 9 months away from my family in another country, helping teach Afghanis logistics. I have to say compared to some people on deployments my deployment was very easy and I was lucky. There were very few times that my FOB (camp) was on lock down, I only had one roommate and we had indoor showers. I also had Internet in my room so I was able to SKYPE with DH and DD on a regular basis. It was hard being away but modern technology is great and I was able to talk to my family a lot.

So now with that little bit of background there is also another reason we took this trip is I got a crazy idea that since the Disney World half marathon was in my time frame of when we wanted I wanted to register for it and run. With that in mind our Disney days would be January 5th to the 13th. However, my DH really wanted to drive and to make part of the vacation about him so we decided to leave on Sunday the 30th drive to Florida meandering down and making some stops. I wont talk about that part of our trip unless you want me to but I will talk about our few days we spent at universal studios.

So without further ado a few quick 5 ws.

Who:
Claraandmom_zpsfd70f99a.jpg

DD Clara 16 months old during the trip, me old enough :

Photo0460FourBySix_zps8eebc16d.jpg

DH also old enough and a great daddy.

What: Celebrate my coming home with a fun and awesome trip.

Where/When: Jan 3-5th Universal Studios Royal Pacific Hotel
loews-royal-pacific-resort-at-universal-studios_zpsa676e89d.jpg

Jan 5th-13th Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo house Club Level
AKL_EST_1_998_zps8b6f7e5d.jpg

Why - Who does not love disney? and since when my DH came home from Iraq we went to Disney it's a tradition now :).

Your trip seems interesting!! Did you train for the HM while you were deployed? That's pretty amazing!

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Royal Pacific -- we stayed there this past October (Club Level) and I have mixed feelings -- We also stayed a few days in October at Port Orleans Riverside and going back to Disney really felt like being home again.

Oh, and we drive each time too -- From Philadelphia -- Yeah, I like to forget about that part too! :) If we get to go January of 2014, I am definitely flying (I think)

Your trip seems interesting!! Did you train for the HM while you were deployed? That's pretty amazing!

pixiedust: welcome pixiedust: Yes I did a lot of training and running in Afghanistan. My camp held races almost every month and I ran a lot on the treadmill. It was not a lot of fun running on a treadmill but that is a ok.

Okay -- I am in!!!!!!! :thumbsup2

pixiedust: welcome pixiedust: Sweet, I will try to post two times a week, I have most of it written out already, so have to edit pictures that might take awhile.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Royal Pacific -- we stayed there this past October (Club Level) and I have mixed feelings -- We also stayed a few days in October at Port Orleans Riverside and going back to Disney really felt like being home again.

Oh, and we drive each time too -- From Philadelphia -- Yeah, I like to forget about that part too! :) If we get to go January of 2014, I am definitely flying (I think)

pixiedust: welcome pixiedust: I will talk about how we liked the hotel. Driving was ok, my DH prefers it to the plane, and it took about just as long to drive as it would to go to the airport, wait for the plane, fly there, wait for luggage, and get a rental car. We also were able to get whatever we wanted so that was nice.

I was about to say that your husband also looks like he is in the military- but then you mentioned he returned from Iraq so that confirmed it for me! poor guys have a harder time hiding the "military-ness" when they are on leave- the hair cut always gives it away!
I am looking forward to your trip report! I will be running the Disneyland Half this August and I am having a blast reading up on all the runDisney experiences people have!

And on a personal note, thank you for your service. My DH and I were also both active duty with children (Navy) and I remember that time of my life with the swapping off deployments being the most difficult time EVER! All of you sacrifices are appreciated! ::yes::

I was about to say that your husband also looks like he is in the military- but then you mentioned he returned from Iraq so that confirmed it for me! poor guys have a harder time hiding the "military-ness" when they are on leave- the hair cut always gives it away!
I am looking forward to your trip report! I will be running the Disneyland Half this August and I am having a blast reading up on all the runDisney experiences people have!

And on a personal note, thank you for your service. My DH and I were also both active duty with children (Navy) and I remember that time of my life with the swapping off deployments being the most difficult time EVER! All of you sacrifices are appreciated! ::yes::

Welcome

Yes DH is also active duty it is rather hard for him to escape the military haircut.

The started out way to early again, why is it that the last few days I have been unable to sleep past 5am? Could it be because I am excited to get to Universal Studios and Disney World? I think so.

Sooooo unlike yesterday I spent a few hours not at the gym but one my computer playing around on the Internet and watching the new Bourne movie. I watched most of it for the second time, but soon it was 7 am I deemed it time for me to take a shower. Once my shower was complete Clara (DD) was awake, and ready to go. While Jeremy was taking his shower I made sure that Clara got her morning milk bottle and then got dressed. We hit up the breakfast buffet that was part of our room. During breakfast we learned that Clara likes cinnamon raisin bagels with cream cheese. Do you think it is the bagel or the cream cheese that she likes?

Clarahoteledited_zps1324f2ce.jpg
Clara sitting on the couch in our hotel before we left.

Hotelviewedited_zps523fd169.jpg
our view of the golf course from our hotel room.

After breakfast we loaded up the car and started our two-hour drive to the royal pacific hotel, and unlike Gilligan’s island our two-hour tour was really only two hours, and we made it safe and sound.

IMG_0254_zps0cc2e6b5.jpg

Clara playing with some bracelets in the car during our drive to Orlando.

DSCN1657_zps5dbd92c1.jpg

DSCN1653_zps7c5408b0.jpg

DSCN1654_zps22664104.jpg

So close to Universal.

DSCN1658_zpsc245fcaa.jpg

We made it to the hotel ☺.

Check in was super duper easy and to our surprise they had a room already for us. We were not expecting it but we wanted to check in early so this mommy could get her express pass to go on some roller coasters while daddy and Clara hung out. Since our room was ready to go we decided to take a peak at it and figure out where it was. We were assigned room 1702, which means we were in tower one (windward) floor seven room two.
DSC_0551_zps4d83ee8a.jpg

The view from our room.

After checking out our room and looking at our view/the cool pools we decided that we wanted to hit the parks up. We took the elevator down and not paying attention what so ever I got off on the second floor, we were a little lost until we realized we were not on the first floor. So we hopped back into the elevator and rode it down to the first floor where we walked along the path to Islands of Adventure.

DSCN1661_zpsfaa730c5.jpg

DSCN1660_zpsc15feb6a.jpg

Some of the stuff on our walk to Islands of Adventure

Ok I have to go to bed, hope to update you soon again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter