Momma Melrose or Hollywood & Vine for Fantasmic package

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by jeanninepl, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jeanninepl

jeanninepl Mouseketeer

This is my first experience with the fantasmic package. We usually eat at the Sci-Fi when we are in Hollywood Studios but wanted to try something new. We are going in July.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

MM is the better restaurant food wise.

4. lnh'smom

lnh'smom DIS Veteran

We've never done Hollywood & Vine, but we love Mama Melrose. We have eaten there twice, once in 2007 and then again this past November. Had good service both times and great food.

5. Kwaschitz

Kwaschitz Mouseketeer

I've only had breakfast at Hollywood & Vine (and love it...not sure why it gets a bad rap as the breakfast buffets are pretty much all the same)

Still, I would pick MM. It's not Italy-Italian or US chain restaurant-style Italian...it's more East coast US local Italian joint style if that makes sense. ;)

6. DISNEYaddict4evr

DISNEYaddict4evr Now some person I don't even know reminds me there

MM... back in 2010 my husband and i picked H&V for our Fantasmic dinning and were not impressed. I normally can deal with underwhelming buffet food due to the fact I have so many choices, but out of our total 10 days of eating that meal sticks out as the worst.

7. PoohsFan1

PoohsFan1 DIS Veteran

MM hands down. We always eat here when doing the F dining package. I love the flat bread pizzas while DH and DD likes the chicken parm. We have only dined at H&V once and we were so disappointed in it that we haven't returned.

8. disnmooner2013

disnmooner2013 DIS Veteran

Mama Melroses is so much better

9. cajunprincess

cajunprincess DIS Veteran

I've been to both, and I'd choose MM. However, to be fair, I'm not a huge buffet person when it comes to lunch/dinner. I also didn't care too much for the atmosphere of H&V. While MM isn't the best food, I find it very good and really enjoyed the setting of the restaurant. ::yes::

10. docg

docg Earning My Ears

I have done the fantasmic package at both restaurants for diunner and there is absolutely no way i would do the buffet at Hollywood and Vine ever again. I am not a food snob, but found Hollywood and Vine the worst meal i have ever had at Disney World in any restaurant. I found H&V the least decorated, unthemed spot in any Disney restaurant. It is themed as a bosing cafeteria. The food was edible but rather tasteless and below avergae for any buffet we have had elsewhere. Moma Melrose Has good food, not "true Italian food" but would rate its food above an Olive Garden.

11. wdwpirates

wdwpirates Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

For value, service and food quality I would go with Mama Melrose's. Our favorites there are the calamari for 2, the carne d'ilatia flatbread, strip steak and, for dessert, the chocolate amarettini cheesecake.

One of the best meals found at DHS!

12. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OK, I'll make it unanimous. We've dined at both places and MM wins hands down.

13. JKDisney

JKDisney Earning My Ears

Are all the Fantasmic packages prix fixe?

Seems like anyone with a buttered-noodle-eating 10-12 year old (or three of them in my case) really has to hold their nose to get this package if I'm reading the explanation right.

TIA

14. Tinkerbelle739

Tinkerbelle739 <font color=9999FF>Wrote a letter to the Tag Fairy

Our family has done both. This last time, just a few days ago, we chose MM. The chicken or shrimp campanelle was fantastic! The charred strip steak was very good but the chicken parm was disliked by both teens at the table who ordered it. They complained it was dry and just ordinary tasting. The calamari, fresh mozzarella and vine ripened tomatoes, and antipasto for two was also delicious!
    We would certainly choose this over Hollywood and Vine the next trip. We thought the buffet style was just ok.

15. Lynn5700

Lynn5700 <font color=darkorchid>WOO HOO I will be there<br>

H&V is just a strange restaurant with awful food, lol. I have never been to Mama Melrose, but I would definitely choose there out of the two.

16. rutgers1

rutgers1 DIS Veteran

We had a good meal at Mama Melrose when we did the Fantasmic Package. We are going back for it again in July.

17. minnie mum

Yes, as you can see from the web page, there are set prices for each of the F. dining packages. As with any buffet, family style meal, or dinner show.
    So if you have a member of your group who will not be able to eat from the menu, it may not be "worth it" for you.

You can still enjoy Fantasmic by dining elsewhere and joining the standby queue.

18. Dean1972

Dean1972 Mouseketeer

Can someone please help?
    Is the Fantasmic package available @ Hollywood Brown Derby? :)

19. minnie mum

Yes, it is available as either a lunch or dinner package. If you are on the DDP it is 2 TS credits.

20. JennaDeeDooDah

JennaDeeDooDah My oh my what a wonderful day!

Mama Melrose wins out for me, as well. It is a special restaurant for my husband and me and the only restaurant that we absolutely insist on eating at each trip (that is not to say that it is the best restaurant on property, but we have such special memories with it that it has become "our place"). All that aside, I would still pick Mama Melrose over Hollywood and Vine. H&V would be my last choice of restaurants at DHS.

21. Dean1972

Dean1972 Mouseketeer

Many thanks. We will be dining OOP & given the general feedback on the boards, plan on trying the Brown Derby
    Cheers :)