Mom & Son - The Last Time? An August TIW DR! 10/22 - I am Back. Updates x 8!

Just subscribed. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip, even if it turns out completely different from your original plans. :goodvibes

I just subscribed too! I followed you over from the live thread...I signed up to be a live reporter in October. I can't wait to read your reviews!

Hello all! I am going to do my best to start reviews tomorrow. On top of the post-Disney blues, I fought all last Sunday with photobucket, then had back to back late nights at work. That is all trivial stuff. Yesterday afternoon there was a horrific accident in our neighboring town that killed 2 teenagers and left one in very critical condition. I am just devastated.

But a good dose of reliving the Disney magic is what I need, after several glasses of wine and a good nights sleep!

Thanks for hanging with me!

Completely Understandable Vicki! Hope you were able to get a good nights rest. We will be here waiting when you get ready to write the report!! (I'm still working on mine from last October! :rotfl2:)

Oh my goodness Vicki, so sorry to hear about the tragic accident, my thoughts go out to the families and friends of those involved
Hope you are feeling better today
Sending hugs from the UK :hug:

Let's get started with some train food!

We got on the train in Rhinebeck a little after 7 and headed to NYC where we hung out in the lounge until our 11am train to Florida. The lounge offers snacks & drinks ...

Course Andrew couldn't have the free coffee, he had to go to Dunkin Donuts!

Soon we were in our bedroom car & waiting for lunch ...

Andrew had the "adult" grilled cheese and for reasons unknown I had the pasta and meatballs. We each started with a salad and roll...

The grilled cheese was tasty and the pasta was actually good. The meatballs, not so much

For dinner, Andrew had the short ribs and I the chicken marsala. Both were very, very good ...

All in all our train ride was good. We feel asleep and woke up about 7am just as we were entering Jacksonville. Train was basically on time and we got to Orlando about 10:30am. Our car service was waiting for us and we were off to Caribbean Beach in no time! We had arrived! :cool1:

Your train sounds like an interesting way to get to Disney! Is it economical?

Glad the food was decent... now bring on the Disney food! :yay:

Well I have to say that British Rail food does not look like that !

What a relaxing way to travel :)

Hi Vicki! What a great start to your trip with the train and of course the food options. It all looks good. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing if ANY of your ADRs were unchanged! ;) You know I'm the same way but I didn't post ahead of time what we were doing because everyone would then see how indecisive I really am. LOL! :upsidedow

Yay! Can't wait to read the rest!:goodvibes

Thanks!

Your train sounds like an interesting way to get to Disney! Is it economical?

Glad the food was decent... now bring on the Disney food! :yay:

Probably not economical compared to flying but we were able to use DH's reward points and travel free so very economical for us! DH takes the train quite a bit from NYC to Baltimore and DC.

Hoping to start the Disney food a bit later tonight!

Well I have to say that British Rail food does not look like that !

What a relaxing way to travel :)

It really is very nice just watching the world go by! This is our 2nd time going to Florida by train and the food was surprisingly good both times!

Hi Vicki! What a great start to your trip with the train and of course the food options. It all looks good. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing if ANY of your ADRs were unchanged! ;) You know I'm the same way but I didn't post ahead of time what we were doing because everyone would then see how indecisive I really am. LOL! :upsidedow

Yeah, not many stayed unchanged! The first day stayed as planned ...hope to get those up later tonight!

We checked in at Caribbean Beach and asked for a "ready" room. We really wanted to shower! Thankfully they had one for us. As a side note, I LOVED CB! I have been hesitant to stay there because of its size but it is possibly my new favorite resort. I have always thought that if you can't stay deluxe, just stay value because the mods aren't worth it. CB proved me wrong. I look forward to staying there again! :thumbsup2

So off to DTD for one of the few plans we did not change! Lunch at

This was new for us and we were both anxious to try it. Let me side track by saying it was HOT! Hades HOT! I found out later that it was record heat for Orlando and that factoring in the humidity it felt like 105! So we were very hot by the time we walked from the bus stop to the restaurant. We were seated at a tiny table back in the corner. Our waiter, Josh, noticed right away how uncomfortable we were and moved us to a table at the balcony right under a fan! Major kudos to Josh!

I really liked the décor --

Since this was our first trip using TIW, we weren't wedded to appetizer, then entrée so we decided to share several items.

First up, the Central American Crazy Corn - Fire roasted corn on the cob, spicy yellow pepper sauce, and imported cheeses (serves 2) $9.99

This was tasty but not as good as some of the reviews I have read. The corn itself was somewhat mushy. The cheese however was heavenly!

We also shared the Mexican Dipping Trio - Chunky Guacamole, Chili con Carne & Spinach Queso Dips. Served with Corn Tortilla Chips $12.99

These were good and it the spot. I really enjoyed the guacamole!

Lastly, we had the Baja Fish Tacos - crispy seasonal fish, roasted corn salsa, lime crema, spicy slaw, tortilla salad $16.99. Now we have just recently realized that we like fish tacos so we were a bit hesitant that we would not like these ...

OMG! These were sooooo gooooood. Probably one of the best things we ate all week. We mentioned several times going back to get them again but never did. The fish was perfectly crunchy, not greasy at all. And very mild, no strong fishy taste. They were truly delicious.

So with TIW, the check came to $48. This was one of the places we left extra tip because Josh was really good and did us a solid by changing our table. I truly look forward to coming back to P37, probably with DH and trying some of those tequilas! ;)

We had to run over to POP to check on an issue with my December trip so of course we had to share a

This is one tasty cupcake! The frosting is very light, a whipped consistency. And the cake is super moist. It was worth the detour!

Andrew wanted a pecan tart and an iced mocha -

He didn't love the tart but enjoyed the mocha. And the best part? Pop's food court takes TIW! Every lit bit saved helps in Disney!

The we were off to the MK! Before we left we had to try the new Starbucks!

And the artsy version!

All in all a good first afternoon before heading off to dinner at 'Ohana!

Great start to your TR! I love that you are sharing your dining receipts. It gives me a good start in my own budget plan for our upcoming trip. :goodvibes

Great start - would love to do a few days in New York and then train to Orlando so great heads up. Also nice to see a review of Paradiso 37 - can't wait for more :)

Great reviews so far and I'm loving that you and your son take trips together :goodvibes

Great start to your TR! I love that you are sharing your dining receipts. It gives me a good start in my own budget plan for our upcoming trip. :goodvibes

I am glad that it will be helpful for you! My reason was actually one of laziness! Figured if I took pictures of them, I didn't have to keep them organized and/or take notes on the servers names & amount spent! :rolleyes:

Great start - would love to do a few days in New York and then train to Orlando so great heads up. Also nice to see a review of Paradiso 37 - can't wait for more :)

I definitely recommend it. Very relaxing way to start vacation!

Great reviews so far and I'm loving that you and your son take trips together :goodvibes

Thank you! I love that he wants to go with me, toO! :cloud9:

We decided to take the boat over to the Poly and had a nice look at the IronMan 3 monorail ...

I love the wrapped monorails and was happy to see this one.

Dinner was at 'Ohana. We have all seen 100 review of 'Ohana so I will keep this one short and sweet. One difference for us this visit? Our ADR was at 6:25. We checked in at 6:08 expecting the usual long wait. We settled on the couch and picked up the drink menu. The our pager went off! Yes, we were seated at 6:10!

Is this a sign that the restaurant is decreasing in popularity and maybe future ADRs won't be so hard to get? :confused3

Anyway, we stopped to pick up the pineapple bread which neither of us touched.

We like it ok, just wanted to save room for the good stuff!

First up, the salad with the new dressing ...

I really liked the old dressing and was surprised that I liked this one as well. Not a huge papaya fan but the dressing was quite tasty.

Next up the wings and potstickers ...

I don't eat wings, but did taste the sauce. It was much sweeter than previous. Cloyingly sweet. Andrew ate a few but not like in previous trips. Now the potstickers were a different story. We asked for more of those! I could make a meal just on those.

Now the noodles and veggies ...

Again, I found the noodles too sweet to eat, just blech. But I did enjoy the veggies. I liked the all broccoli better but these were fine.

Now on to the star of the show ... meat!

We don't eat shrimp but had plenty of the pork, chicken and beef. The beef we were served was a nice medium and we didn't find any of the meats dry, but we do like our pork and chicken cooked thru.

And as full as we were, we had to have dessert!

As good as always!

All in all, 'Ohana remains a favorite even with the recent changes. I no longer care for the noodles, but I can make a meal on the salad, potstickers, veggies and meat and of course the heavenly dessert!

A bit pricey, I s'pose. But it is Disney and you are paying for the experience as much as the food. We had the gentleman singer, not the woman and it was fine watching the kids and then the anniversary couples dance. We enjoyed our meal and we will definitely return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter