Mom & Son Going Back with Dad + 1 - 10/3 - Rose & Crown and now Complete!

Dinner was a meal that Julia was really looking forward to .... 50's Prime Time.

This is not one of DS's favorites so he was less thrilled than the rest of us. And as luck would have it, his meal was not the best.

First up, I really wanted the 'sippy cup' and glow cube so I had a ginger ale ....

Jay had a beer ...

it looks like Andrew had a float of some kind but I really don't remember....

I don't have a pic of Julia's drink. I think she may have just had a soda but again, I don't remember.

Julia and I had the same appetizer - Fried Herb and Garlic Cheese - served with warm Raspberry Sauce, grapes and apples, and toasted French Bread

This is soooo good. The cheese is all warm and melty. Normally I am not a raspberry fan but the sauce really works with the boursin cheese. The only criticism I have it that there are not enough of the toasts.

Andrew had the Battered Onion Rings - served with horseradish sauce

These were also very good. Light and crispy.

No appetizer for Jay. He and I shared the Sampling of Mom's Favorite Recipes - Crispy-fried Chicken, Fork Tender Pot Roast, and Traditional Meatloaf with all the fixings with an extra side of mashed potatoes and extra green beans

This was sooooo good. I don't really eat fried chicken so Jay had that. He hates pot roast so I had that and we split the meatloaf. I truly love the pot roast here at 50s. Super tender, very flavorful and a nice crunch to the veggies.

A & J both had Mom's Old Fashioned Pot Roast - Slow cooked 'til fork tender, served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, brown gravy, carrots, celery and onions

Julia's was very good. Unfortunately Andrews was very fatty to the point that 1/2 of it was not edible. Very disappointing that our waiter pointed it out and even poked at the fatty glob with a fork but didn't offer either a new plate or to take the meal off the bill.

So the one place DS was not looking forward to lived up to his very low expectation. The rest of us really enjoyed our meal so it was really a bummer.

No dessert as we were going to the Frozen dessert party. We would have gotten the S'mores but they were taken off the menu! (WHAT?!) I hope they bring them back!

After dinner we split up with A&J going off the walk around DHS while DH and I found a spot and listened the DJ Chill starting up the dance party. It was really fun watching the kids with the characters. Even though we were going to the dessert party, DH say this and knew I had to have it ...

This was THE best carrot cake cupcake. The frosting was not super sweet and the cake was super moist. A really good cupcake!

We met up with the "kids" for the dessert party. I am going to preface my pics of this by saying that my mood turned a bit sour for a bit. I was tired. There were no chairs, only hi-top tables to lean on. I actually considered leaving and letting everyone else stay. Ultimately I am glad I didn't because the DJ was really good and the Frozen fireworks where I could hear the music were amazing.

Both alcoholic drinks were very sweet.

Didn't try these. Love Sven!

My plate

It was ok. Typically Disney dessert party food. Sweet. But again, I was not a happy camper to begin with so maybe I am not a good judge.

DS got into the spirit of fun

All in all after my hour of sourness we had a good time. Overall I thought the package was definitely worth it.

Ok, quick non-food post. The next morning we met the Tremaine Family. We told them that we were looking for a wife for DS ...

Because DS's hair gets a reddish highlight in the son, Anastasia thought she was the front runner ...

Drizella was not happy ...

Lady Tremaine telling Julia not to worry, she would find someone soon ...

And then telling DS how he had to treat her daughter

And then noticing Julia's promise ring and chastising them for "trifling with her daughter's heart"

DS felt he had to grab her inappropriately to keep her from falling! LOL

Truly one of the most fun experiences we have ever had in WDW. Well worth the insane amount of time we waited in line to meet them!

Too bad your sons meal was a bust, but that fried chicken and those onion rings look delicious. Love the tremaines interactions. Priceless

They have a gluten-free version of the Smore's at 50's Prime Time.....I had it. They use a GF Chocolate Chip Cookie, chocolate sauce & Marshmallows.......I think that was it, I thought it was still pretty tasty. (the cookies end up soft after being warmed & the marshmallows toasted)

Lunch was at The Plaza -

A&J and I all had the tomato soup ...

I truly love this soup. Very creamy with almost a buttery mouth feel. I have asked for the recipe a couple of times and been told that it is not given out. Interesting since Disney is pretty good about sharing recipes.

Julia had the Vegetarian Sandwich - fresh mozzarella, hummus, basil pesto, cucumber, roasted red pepper, tomato, and lettuce on a freshly baked focaccia

Andrew the Grilled Chicken Sandwich - grilled chicken breast topped with shaved ham and Swiss served on a flour-dusted Kaiser

Jay and I split the Plaza Club - smoked ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise layered on toasted sourdough bread and the Tuna Salad Sandwich - tuna salad with lettuce and tomato on freshly baked croissant

Everything was good. The Plaza has always been a solid meal for us. I have to say that we rarely have room for dessert and this time was no exception . We all left full.

I really wanted to watch the parade from the train station so DH and I saved spots while A&J road SM and BTMRR. As you know the parade steps off about 3pm from Frontierland. About 3:15 or so, just as the parade started heading up Main Street the sky opened and it poured!!

By the time they got to us the rain had pretty much stopped but the performers were completely drenched. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. These ladies were hollering at us for being dry while they were ringing their dresses in front of us ...

Probably in part because we were dry this was one of the most fun times I have ever had watching the parade. I loved the new parade. The performers seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

And the mass leaving after the parade ...

Needless to say we hung out a bit!

Next up - A DS request, Le Cellier!

We are big fans of the plaza too. It's good food and not much more that most CS. Gonna have to try that soup, it looks and sounds delicious

Can't believe all that rain, but at least you had a great vantage point

You all look so cute in the matching American Mickey tees!!! :smickey:
I've always enjoyed the Plaza as well but I have to get the banana split. :cloud9::banana:

Hi!

I'm following along with you and wanted to let you know how much I am liking your reviews. The Plaza is such a good, solid meal. The fries are just on another level, really. Looking forward to more of your eats!

Too bad your sons meal was a bust, but that fried chicken and those onion rings look delicious. Love the tremaines interactions. Priceless

The Tremaine family was really great. Definitely a bummer for Andrew especially because he didn't want to eat at 50's to bring with.

They have a gluten-free version of the Smore's at 50's Prime Time.....I had it. They use a GF Chocolate Chip Cookie, chocolate sauce & Marshmallows.......I think that was it, I thought it was still pretty tasty. (the cookies end up soft after being warmed & the marshmallows toasted)

Yes, our waiter told us that. We figured we really didn't need dessert as we were going to the dessert party so we didn't try it.

We are big fans of the plaza too. It's good food and not much more that most CS. Gonna have to try that soup, it looks and sounds delicious

Can't believe all that rain, but at least you had a great vantage point

Agreed that The Plaza is a definitely bargain. This was the last of the drenching rain for a few days. Thank goodness!

The Plaza looks delicious! We still haven't made it over there but definitely need to try it some time.

Definitely give it a try!
You all look so cute in the matching American Mickey tees!!! :smickey:
I've always enjoyed the Plaza as well but I have to get the banana split. :cloud9::banana:

Thank you! I am a sucker for matching shirts!

Hi!

I'm following along with you and wanted to let you know how much I am liking your reviews. The Plaza is such a good, solid meal. The fries are just on another level, really. Looking forward to more of your eats!

Thank you!! Agreed on the fries!

Next up - Le Cellier. This was always a favorite of ours when it was 1 credit. When it became two credits the prices became crazy so without the dining plan it just didn't seem worth it to me. But it is one of DS's favorites. So it was on the list and off the list many times during my months of planning. It went back on the list only a few weeks before our trip. And I have to say that it was one of our favorite meals of the trip.

Pretty sure we all had iced teas ...

But I also had the martini flight ...

the blue is the glo-tini served all over WDW. The pink a form of a cosmopolitan and the other was a godiva chocolate dessert martini. Very good. But I could have drank 2 or 3 more of these servings!

Everyone but me had the cheddar cheese soup ...

I knew Jay would share so I got the scallops ...

And we all shared the poutine ....

The soup was as good as always. Especially with the famed pretzel bread. The scallops were very good with the browned butter cauliflower puree but the granola was an odd accompaniment. The poutine was soooooo good. Salty goodness with the crispy fries. We just about licked the plate.

For dinner Jay had the strip steak with cabernet butter, kale and garlic rosti potato ...

The potato was very, very good. Crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside.

Andrew and I both had the mushroom filet ....

It did not disappoint. The mushroom risotto was perfectly cooked so the rice still had a nice bite to it. One criticism I have read is this dish being too salty but neither of us thought that.

Julia had the sirloin noodle bowl ...

It doesn't look like a huge portion but it is deceiving. There was quite a bit of meat and a lot of noodles. It was a bit spicy. She loved it.

We also shared the truffled mac & cheese ...

This was a bit disappointing. The macaroni was mushy and it was bland. But honestly we were all full from the rest of the meal and shouldn't have ordered it anyway.

As full as we were, we still shared the maple crème brulee for dessert ...

I love all things maple and this is the perfect ending to a meal for me. Not too sweet, nice and creamy.

We all really enjoyed this meal. For Andrew it made up for the failure of 50's. I am glad he guilted me into adding back into our plans!

The next day A&J were going to Typhoon Lagoon. I tried for months to get an ADR for Jay and I to do the Dine with an Imagineer with no success. About a week before the trip I decided to try just for the heck of it and an ADR popped up! YES!

I didn't want that to be first meal for me so we hit Starring Rolls when we first got to DHS for a cheese Danish and a milk ...

Very good Danish. Somehow I had never had one before. I will definitely stop for one again.

For our lunch, I really wanted an Imagineer with a lot of personality even if they had a boring job. We lucked out and got a great woman, Sally Adair who was in charge of Short Term (less than a year) projects. She has been with WDW for 31 years. Started running the popcorn cart near City Hall on Main Street when she was 16! She is based in AK and has worked a lot with Joe Rhode and is currently overseeing the Pirates refurb. She was wonderful!

The sweet corn bisque was one of the best things I ate all week

Sci Fi should take a lesson on how to make corn soup! A very luxurious mouth feel with a strong sweet corn flavor. Perfection. I don't eat lobster so I had mine without the fritters.

Next up the amazing cobb salad

This is one of my favorite things on WDW property. I love the small chopped ingredients. I had to be careful not to eat it all because our waitress warned us that the portions were all full size even with the four courses.

Jay had the grouper with the lobster tail

I had a small bite of the fish and it was very good. Well seasoned, nice and flaky. He loved it.

I had the filet ...

As good as the mushroom filet was at Le Cellier, this was even better. The meat literally melted in your mouth. It was decadent with the melting butter. The beans still had a nice crisp bite to them. Really a nearly perfect plate of food.

I was truly stuffed when dessert was brought out and only had a few bites

I am a fan of the grapefruit cake but didn't care for it in this presentation. The cake was very soggy. But that could in part have been because I was so truly full.

This was such a great experience. Sally was very informative about the things she could talk about (she would not at the time confirm Star Wars Land despite our repeated attempts to break her! LOL!), the meal was excellent and I got to share it with three other women as Disney crazy as I am! One woman was there opening day and has been every year since. She even got to over turn a shovel of dirt at EPCOTs groundbreaking.

I am happy to say that I was able this morning to get an ADR for Andrew and I in March. He isn't sure he will love it but I am confident he will and I cannot wait to do it again!

The "Dine with an Imagineer" is on my short list. And I love the BD. Some day! (I also want poutine.)

Great reviews Vicki, it's great to be reading one of your dining reports again!!

Finally getting caught up on your dining report after taking last week off to prepare for a weekend visit from Emily (I flew her home from Austin as a surprise anniversary gift for Don) and then hosting a 30th anniversary party on Sunday.

Anyway, starting with your meal at PTC, how disappointing that Andrew's pot roast was so bad. I have an extremely low tolerance for fatty meat so I would have been very unhappy. :crazy2: That is actually what keeps me from ordering the pot roast at both Prime Time and LTT. I'll just stick with the fried chicken at PTC and the Colony Salad at LTT, thank you. ;)

The Frozen party looked good, except for the part about not having chairs??? :sad2: I've never been to any of the dessert parties, so now I'm wondering if it's the same for Illuminations. Anyway, I wish the Frozen fireworks were shown year round instead of just during the summer months. I'd love to see them but can't deal with Florida summer heat. :scared:

Your interaction with the Cinderella steps looked really fun! And I learned the news that Andrew gave Julia a promise ring. :thumbsup2

We also had lunch at the Plaza during our May trip. But unfortunately it wasn't all that great, except for the fries and dessert. And Le Cellier is one of my Andrew's favorites too so we had to have dinner there also. I'll leave that review for my dining report. ;)

That just leaves your HBD lunch with an Imagineer, which looks and sounds wonderful. I had decided to go to Mama Melrose for lunch on my one DHS day as I haven't been there in more years than I can remember. However, after seeing your HBD pics I am now wavering. I might just have to make a change. :laughing:

The "Dine with an Imagineer" is on my short list. And I love the BD. Some day! (I also want poutine.)

Great reviews!!! I really would love to Dine with an Imagineer.

I definitely recommend it! So excited that I will get to do it again in March! (And I, too would like some poutine!)

Great reviews Vicki, it's great to be reading one of your dining reports again!!

Thanks so much!

Finally getting caught up on your dining report after taking last week off to prepare for a weekend visit from Emily (I flew her home from Austin as a surprise anniversary gift for Don) and then hosting a 30th anniversary party on Sunday.

Anyway, starting with your meal at PTC, how disappointing that Andrew's pot roast was so bad. I have an extremely low tolerance for fatty meat so I would have been very unhappy. :crazy2: That is actually what keeps me from ordering the pot roast at both Prime Time and LTT. I'll just stick with the fried chicken at PTC and the Colony Salad at LTT, thank you. ;)

The Frozen party looked good, except for the part about not having chairs??? :sad2: I've never been to any of the dessert parties, so now I'm wondering if it's the same for Illuminations. Anyway, I wish the Frozen fireworks were shown year round instead of just during the summer months. I'd love to see them but can't deal with Florida summer heat. :scared:

Your interaction with the Cinderella steps looked really fun! And I learned the news that Andrew gave Julia a promise ring. :thumbsup2

We also had lunch at the Plaza during our May trip. But unfortunately it wasn't all that great, except for the fries and dessert. And Le Cellier is one of my Andrew's favorites too so we had to have dinner there also. I'll leave that review for my dining report. ;)

That just leaves your HBD lunch with an Imagineer, which looks and sounds wonderful. I had decided to go to Mama Melrose for lunch on my one DHS day as I haven't been there in more years than I can remember. However, after seeing your HBD pics I am now wavering. I might just have to make a change. :laughing:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! So cool that you flew Emily in! I agree on the Frozen fireworks - they were awesome. Course the rumor of the upcoming Star Wars fireworks has me very intrigued! A&J exchanged promise rings for Christmas last year. As much as I am rooting for them to 'make it', I am not a fan of promise rings. Just have to wait & see what happens.

Looking forward to your LC review, maybe not so much The Plaza! The food at HBD was stellar for sure and worth doing even without the benefit of the Imagineer. But if you can get an ADR for it, I highly recommend doing the DwaI. It was truly awesome!

All caught up :)

Welcome!

After a bit of time in DHS, DH and I headed over to EPCOT for some beverages!

First up, a Welsh Dragon from Rose & Crown!

I have had these over the past several trips and loved them. This one not so much. It was much sweeter than I remember. Course it could have been because I was missing Off Kilter!

We enjoyed watching this guy with his snack!

Then it was off to France for a Grey Goose Slushie!

Still my favorite WDW drink!

Next up - Spice Road Table. We weren't all that hungry but I really wanted to sit here for a bit ...

Beautiful view ....

Jay had a beer and I tried the white sangria

I really enjoyed this sangria. Not super sweet. Very refreshing.

We shared the Brie Fondue

This was the perfect snack. Cheesy was nice & melty and the honey added a touch of sweetness.

We watched them prepare for Illuminations ...

The restaurant was empty - one other table was in use while there. The waiter said that it fills up around 7 for the fireworks. It is really a great place for an afternoon snack or drink. Not sure why no one was stopping in.

We will definitely go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter