Mom, my hands smell-A first timer's TR-Completed 4/12

I am enjoying your trip report! I have to say I feel your pain with the brazil tour groups, when we went in January of this year it was Brazilian tour week. There were tons of the GROUPS of teenagers and they were EVERYWHERE! They seemed to FOLLOW us as well! :) HAHAH!!

I cant wait to read the rest of your report! Keep up the great writing!

I am enjoying your trip report! I have to say I feel your pain with the brazil tour groups, when we went in January of this year it was Brazilian tour week. There were tons of the GROUPS of teenagers and they were EVERYWHERE! They seemed to FOLLOW us as well! :) HAHAH!!

I cant wait to read the rest of your report! Keep up the great writing!

:scared1:
We had them following us almost the entire trip. At least, in general, January crowds are low--even with the tour groups. In July, it's peak of peak season and jam packed every day. The groups get really crazy later.
Speaking of which, I was sick all weekend guys, so on my lovely 4 day weekend where I was trying to write up the whole TR to have it on a more regular basis, I got NOTHING done. And I have a show coming up semi-soon. Shakespeare. Yay. :rolleyes: I'll try to get the next installment up as soon as possible.

Sorry you're not feeling well. Good luck with Shakespeare.

Hope you feel better soon! :goodvibes

Which Shakespeare are you doing?

Thanks! I'm feeling a lot better.

I'm an ensemble member of "Much Ado About Nothing". Generally, Shakespeare is right up my alley. But when you're only onstage for 5 minutes in a 2 1/2 play and all the leads are shushing you but they'll go backstage and scream and shout, it gets a little frustrating. Ok. Venting done.

Much Ado is my DGD's favorite. Don't let them shush you! I'm sure you will be a star someday.

You're supposed to take the picture right side up, not on it's side. And there's supposed to be more in it!

EPCOT (part 3)--Monday, July 14th, 2008

I’ll admit it. I’ve been avoiding the DIS. Both intentionally and unintentionally. Why you may ask? Well, let’s start with the unintentional part first, shall we. School has been so absolutely stressful in the last week. Essays, hours of homework, directing plays, rehearsals until six or seven at night, and sewing costumes all while trying to be social. And I was sick on my glorious 4 day weekend last week so I didn’t get much done (other than lean over the toilet, sleep, watch TV and shout “la la la! I can’t HEAR you” every time a Disney promotion commercial came on). But finally the weekend has arrived and I can DIS without being totally bombarded with other things. And then the intentional part of this. This happens to be my 100th post.party: :dancer: :jumping1: :rainbow:

Hooray! Having watched all the DISers out there who have thousands of post counts and watching my own pathetic post score slowly rise, I’m glad to have reached triple digits. And I wanted it to be on the trip report. I think it’s a pretty cool thing to celebrate (unfortunately, Sleepy does not see it as a big enough thing to celebrate that will call for a trip to Disney)

So…there you go. Ok, ok. I know none of you read trip reports to listen to the author’s pointless spiel at the beginning. So, on with the show.
When I last left you, we’d just nearly encountered a protein-spill (tee-hee) on Mission: Space and were on our way BACK to the Land Pavilion after having JUST come over to the other side. Let’s just say Grumpy wasn’t too happy about the situation.

So away we headed back through Innoventions and I pointed out some smaller things to Sleepy and Grumpy that I have completely forgotten now over three months later. I do remember Sleepy wanting to go to the completely empty character meet-and-greet area whose name has just completely escaped my mind. But from where I stood, I could see the sign for Soarin’ and instantly was filled with memories of all the times I’d soared over the great places in California (IN California) and declined the opportunity to hug Minnie Mouse. So we went back up the steep hill and into the pavilion.

“Where to, oh wise one?” Grumpy asked (ok, I paraphrased a bit:rolleyes1 ).

“Living with the Land.”

“Huh? What is it…?”

“Well, it’s… You board this… I don’t know.”

We headed down the stairs and to the line forming beside a very colorful wall.

261-1.jpg

The posted wait time was something like 10 minutes, but it honestly was more like a couple minutes. The line was CRANKING. We were on the boat and riding through the first exhibit (or whatever you want to call the part where they have those flashes of lightning and an annoying narrator) within minutes. Surprisingly, both Sleepy and Grumpy (who have, since I started this TR, started calling one another by said nicknames) really enjoyed this ride. They thought that the actual growing exhibits were really interesting. I was about to start talking up the Behind the Seeds tour, but I found myself taking too many pictures to do so.

270.jpg

275-1.jpg

294-1.jpg

293.jpg

019.jpg

We left the ride in much better moods than we had had in the pavilion only an hour before. There was no rolling of the eyes this time as I was asked to find the next thing on the touring plan. Of course, when I tried explaining that we needed to get more Fastpasses for Soarin’—and NOT ride it yet—to Grumpy there was a lot of huffing. It took him a little while to realize that we could ride twice—IN A ROW—if we had another pair of passes. So we quickly grabbed some more passes.

And then, as we were leaving that small claustrophobic area, I saw it. The shirt I wanted to remember my vacation by. If you look back at my picture in the very first entry of this TR, you might notice that I was wearing a Soarin’ shirt. Obviously, that was taken shortly after our trip. Anyway, I saw that shirt and I just KNEW I had to have it. So, being the innocent girl I am, I dragged Sleepy over to the counter with me and simply asked for the shirt in a size small, please and thank you.

The CM, a short, older lady, looked me over and wrinkled her nose.

“I think you’d be more comfortable in a Medium or even a Large, dearie.”

Ummm…excuse me? I know my size lady. I know I’m not the skinniest teenager out there, but since my heaviest I’ve lost 50 pounds (ok, 40 by the time of this trip) and I was very proud to be wearing small and extra-small clothing by this point of my life.

“No, thank you. Just a Small please.”

She pulled a Medium off the shelf and held it up next to me.

“See, this looks like it would fit MUCH more comfortably on you, darling. Buy this one.”

“I’m a small, thank you.”

Give me the dang shirt and I’ll pay you the money I’m holding in my hand, lady. See the money? Your boss LOVES the money. Don’t you want to make your boss happy?

“I just wouldn’t feel right giving you a too-small shirt, dear. Here, take this one.”

:furious:

I might have cursed at her. And I might have done an inappropriate gesture using a specific finger. Might being used sparingly. Yes. I played the part of a rotten teenager and cursed loudly and angrily (while flipping off) at an old lady at Disney. And then I walked away.

Sleepy just stared after me as I walked away, pocketing my cash, towards Grumpy who was looking at the hot balloon looking things on the ceiling. She might have apologized for me, but I’m not sure. The CM didn’t deserve it if she did.

Mumbling under my breath, I lead Sleepy and Grumpy out of the pavilion—again—and around the corner to experience the magic and wonder of Nemo and his friends at the Living Seas. This area was completely different from how I’d imagined it. In a World where everything was much larger than I’d ever imagined, the Seas seemed small and pathetic in comparison to what I’d imagined it to be. A childhood of watching Full House has lead me to believe that the area was about three times as large as it truly was. We stepped into the line for Nemo and Friends—about a fifteen minute posted wait time—and I finally stopped grumbling about the crazy lady.

Honestly, the longest part of the wait was winding through the inside queue. Sleepy went crazy snapping pictures but I don’t think any of them actually came out. It was well themed, I must admit. As for the ride… I thought it was simply eh. Nothing to brag about. And however much I adored Finding Nemo: The Musical the day before, the song they copied for the ride got on my nerves. Oh well. We came to Disney World to experience new things, didn’t we? But I did enjoy the exhibits at the end.

So, here’s where the title of this chapter comes into play. I swiftly made my way over to the play area with Bruce, Anchor, and Chum to get my souvenir “I’m being eaten by Bruce” picture. Patiently, I waited for the little kids ahead of me. Then I coordinated myself into the small area and smile for the picture Sleepy was taking. That’s when I developed a new pet peeve. She likes to turn pictures to the side, the kind of pictures you put a crick in your neck just trying to see. I went back over to see the picture and noticed this, and the fact she zoomed in so much that you could only see my face and the very tips of Bruce’s teeth. Where the rest of Bruce ended up, we will never know. So…here’s the picture (I turned it back over through photoshop—a life saver).

331-1.jpg

Call me paranoid, but in 20 years, when the Nemo stuff is part of Disney past, and my memory of teenage years is failing, I'd like to be able to look back at the pictures and remember where I was when the picture was taken.

Ok. So we hurried past the gift shop and stopped on one of the benches to eat our lunches as it was about eleven thirty by this time (where all time had gone, we may never know). Once we had enough of the…delicious…peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (which became a staple to our diet throughout the rest of the week) we headed past the Land pavilion and to (insert various theme music) Journey Into Imagination. :figment:

Like most everything else in EPCOT, we had no idea what to expect as we walked through the line. As Grumpy and Sleepy would both come to say soon enough, we should have noticed something was up when we got to the front of the line in less than a minute. We boarded the red cars and were on our way on the tour of the Imagination University (or whatever the name is).

figmentjourney.jpg

F-I-G-M-E-N-T. You can see things differently.

I personally LIKED this ride (I had a slight obssession with the song previously mentioned whne I came home too). Little purple dragon and all. Unfortunately, Grumpy and Sleepy failed to see the…certain beauty of this attraction. They walked away laughing like maniacs while I debated whether or not to buy a Figment backpack.

Grumpy got excited when I said we were going BACK to the Land pavilion.

“To Soarin’?!”

“Ummm…almost.”

We got back into the building and then I had to coax them into seeing The Circle of Life. Again, I had no idea what to expect. Let’s just say, this ranked BELOW the Living Seas. And we still can’t figure out how Sleepy managed to sleep during the entire show with music blasting in our ears.:confused3 Now do you see why her nickname is Sleepy? And, surprisingly, Grumpy loved it. Although I personally didn’t care for it, it was nice to know that Grumpy was enjoying himself slightly here.

And then, we walked down the stairs again, and were on our way to Soarin’. I glanced over at the gift shop counter, saw that the mean lady was gone, and made a little detour to purchase my shirt. This CM didn’t say a word about me getting a small. As I was paying and the nice CM was putting the shirt in a lovely bag, the mean CM came over. I took my shirt, gave her a smug smile, and walked away to follow Grumpy and Sleepy into the Fastpass return line for Soarin’.

(And, if you’re really interested, I tried on the small shirt that night back at the smelliest hotel in Florida, and guess what? It was too BIG. And the lady wanted me to get a LARGER one. So, ha! I won.:earboy2: )

Just as we were entering the line for Soarin’ the second time (I must admit, although it’s still a lot of fun, I wouldn’t mind skipping it next vacation cuz I’ve been on it so many times in California) we heard them. We should have known that they would be here. We’d seen traces of them all day long but had yet to come near them.

That’s right. Bearing down on us were not one, nor two, not even three, but FOUR Brazilian tour groups.

“Oy vay!” :faint:

Next up: Wow, my future's looking a bit silly

Very happy that you're back on the Boards. My DGD13 also bought a Soarin shirt last year, the Medium one. Yes, it was too big but it fits now.. Actually I spotted it & couldn't belive she loved it. Needless to say, a brand new teen and her Grandpa tend to clash a lot when it comes to attire.

I agree that the Nemo ride was not what I would call "a must see".

Looking forward to your next episode.

Very happy that you're back on the Boards. My DGD13 also bought a Soarin shirt last year, the Medium one. Yes, it was too big but it fits now.. Actually I spotted it & couldn't belive she loved it. Needless to say, a brand new teen and her Grandpa tend to clash a lot when it comes to attire.

I agree that the Nemo ride was not what I would call "a must see".

Looking forward to your next episode.

I'm glad to be back! Thanks for the read. I'm working on the next episode but it's leading up to final tech week for the show and then we have orientation for the incoming theatre kids from the junior high so I'll be working on stuff for that.

I will have to remember to take my Disney "Protein Spill" bag with me on rides as I do get motion sickness sometimes.
Sounds as if Sleepy and Grumpy will learn the Disney ways from you.
I am glad the SMALL t-shirt fit and how rude of her to even suggest another size don't she know the saying "the customer is always right".
You do sound like a very busy girl,but slow down a little so you can post we miss you when you are not posting.

I will have to remember to take my Disney "Protein Spill" bag with me on rides as I do get motion sickness sometimes.
Sounds as if Sleepy and Grumpy will learn the Disney ways from you.
I am glad the SMALL t-shirt fit and how rude of her to even suggest another size don't she know the saying "the customer is always right".
You do sound like a very busy girl,but slow down a little so you can post we miss you when you are not posting.

It probably is a good idea to bring a "Protein Spill" bag. I think MS is the only one that supplies the riders with them.:confused3
I AM a very busy person lately. Ack! My show is turning into a crazy nightmare. It's final tech week for the show, right. And our main, male character was complaining that his chest hurt the other morning. He's goes to the hospital later that night with a collapsed lung.:scared1: He had to have emergency surgery and now he's on a 2 month recovery time. Which left us with no lead male.:eek: So we have someone new, who knows none of the lines. And while we should be having 1 1/2-2 hour rehearsals after school, they're going for 3+ hours. And then, on top of that, I have homework. So I'm a little stressed right now. I'm gonna try to have an update up this weekend but I'm seriously gonna need a load of sleep, I'll have 4 hours of rehearsals on Saturday, and I should get a headstart on homework for the classes I'll miss next week while I'm promoting the show.:surfweb: In a little over a week, I'll be done with this madness and I can get on with my life...
Until the next show. :rolleyes:

Stick with me, guys. Like the Governator, I'll be back.

We're with you all the way in the cold North. Don't hurry the TR, sleep and homework are more important. We don't want you in stress rehab.

I've never had a problem with Mission Space. In fact it has always seemed rather tame to me.

It probably is a good idea to bring a "Protein Spill" bag. I think MS is the only one that supplies the riders with them.:confused3
I AM a very busy person lately. Ack! My show is turning into a crazy nightmare. It's final tech week for the show, right. And our main, male character was complaining that his chest hurt the other morning. He's goes to the hospital later that night with a collapsed lung.:scared1: He had to have emergency surgery and now he's on a 2 month recovery time. Which left us with no lead male.:eek: So we have someone new, who knows none of the lines. And while we should be having 1 1/2-2 hour rehearsals after school, they're going for 3+ hours. And then, on top of that, I have homework. So I'm a little stressed right now. I'm gonna try to have an update up this weekend but I'm seriously gonna need a load of sleep, I'll have 4 hours of rehearsals on Saturday, and I should get a headstart on homework for the classes I'll miss next week while I'm promoting the show.:surfweb: In a little over a week, I'll be done with this madness and I can get on with my life...
Until the next show. :rolleyes:

Stick with me, guys. Like the Governator, I'll be back.

Poor thing..get yourself some sleep we can wait on the TR.
Here is some much needed :tinker: and a great big:smickey: :hug:
Hope very thing works out with the new guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter