Mom "Lunch Shamed" For Giving Her Daughter Oreos

Back when I taught it wasn't lunches that they had rules about, but the in class snack and this is the same policy at my kid's school now. It had to be healthy or the kids were not allowed to eat it. I always bought my own snacks and passed them out for kids who didn't bring in a snack (some did get hot lunch so they had nothing ) or those who didn't bring a healthy snack from the list. Junk food in moderation is fine and think they should be allowed to have it. Even when I was teaching what was on the approved list wasn't even that healthy, the same at the kids school now. My dd was told she couldn't eat veggie chips as a healthy snack in class, but they allow cheese its. Cheese it's are not healthier than veggie chips. lol.

It was pretty amusing that the teacher was cruising down morbidly obese lane but telling me I can't give my kid a freaking snack bag of Cheetos.

Wouldn't you like to look in HER lunch bag? :p

That said, I'm sure she was only doing what was required of her.

I'm glad we don't have to deal with this. I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter's cafeteria has oreos she can buy on her lunch plan!

Wouldn't you like to look in HER lunch bag? :p

That said, I'm sure she was only doing what was required of her.

I doubt it. She was a horrid teacher. None of the other teachers called my daughter out specifically like she did. She was very over the top about it.

Then that's really awful.

It was. She was actually the final reason we ended up leaving that school (not specifically this incident though)

Just a terrible old bitty who needs to retire. I think this year is her last though!

My DD's elementary school allowed the kids to have a healthy snack in the morning, and this was enforced. We were told about it ahead of time, so I always respected it. My DD's not a fruit and vegetable person, but I would find other things for her to eat like that school was ok with.

There were no lunch restrictions and therefore I would give her whatever I wanted.
If the school told us ahead of time about only healthy lunches than I would respect it - I wouldn't like it, but I would respect it.
If the school didn't tell us ahead of time, and I got a note home like that, than I would have been making a trip to the office and complaining.
I respect teachers, but I don't feel it's there place to tell me what my child should or shouldn't be eating unless they are upholding a school policy. And if they have to uphold a school policy, then they should be emailing me or calling me directly - not having my child be the message carrier. Keep the child out of it - it's between the school, teacher and parents.

The schools cannot tell you what to pack for your child's lunch. They can tell you what you are allowed to bring for a class snack and what your kid is allowed to eat from the school. Lunch, vending machines, etc... It's only going to get worse since Michelle Obama took over this healthy school initiative. My son just graduated from HS last year. For lunch, they were only allowed 5 fries, the skinny ones and a very small burger as an example. He had to start buying 2 lunches because 1 wasn't enough. One of our friends is a FACS(home ec) teacher. She no longer can teach kids to make cup cakes, pies, cakes, breads, etc... There is a list of baked goods she is allowed to demonstrate.

It's funny, childhood obesity is being put on the schools for the most part. They eat 1 meal a day, sometimes 2 if you include breakfast which most kids don't and are there 7 hours a day. Yep, its the schools fault.

At various times my kids were told they could bring a healthy snack to have mid-morning during class. I had no problem with that, but would have a huge issue with lunch restrictions.

I always assumed they specified healthy snacks so they wouldn't end up with Cheetos dust all over the textbooks! :rotfl:

I understand why the mom was upset, but somehow it doesn't bother me. I do sometimes send in a Lunchable but if there is a rule saying no more, I would be fine with it.

I used to buy a Happy Meal for DS whenever I went to have lunch with him at school. That was the only time he would get to eat Happy Meal. We switched school two years ago and the new school *suggest* no fast food during lunch time. I just stopped doing that.

I haven't had an issue in a while, but I did have an issue when DS who is now in 4th grade was in Kindergarten. The kids were all suppose to bring a "healthy" snack to eat mid morning. My son had discovered veggie straws, which are kinda similar to potato chips. She refused to let him have them as a snack and didn't send anything home to me letting me know. He would eat them at lunch. After about a week my extremely underweight son came home crying saying that he wasn't allowed to have a snack like the other kids. I was furious that this had gone on for so long without her letting me know, and instead let my son sit and class crying watching all the other kids eat.

I had a big issue with this for a few reasons:

1. Veggie straws are not okay but goldfish, popcorn and gummy fruit snacks are?
2. He had other options in his lunchbox like yogurt but he only pulled out the veggie straws and she said no, didn't even take the time to help him out. There were only 8 kids in the class.
3. She didn't tell me there was a problem.

My son's kindergarten class has a kid who is allergic to nearly everything. Parents take turns buying snacks for class, and we're encouraged to keep them "healthy"...but one of the "fun" things that B can eat are cheese puffs. B's mom says that B knows what he can and can't have and usually he just brings his own snack but when it's my turn, I'll buy apples or whole grain Goldfish or whatever...but their teacher is also 100% okay with us picking up cheese puffs for Mr. B so he can feel like everyone else.

Both of our recent schools had a healthy snack policy.

The only person that said something to my kid was the one teacher I shut down, though. We still get the generic 'please remember to send healthy snacks' comment at the bottom of weekly emails, but that's about it.

It was pretty amusing that the teacher was cruising down morbidly obese lane but telling me I can't give my kid a freaking snack bag of Cheetos.
I get the healthy snack policy due to allergies for snacks in the classroom or snacks being sent in for the entire class.
But at lunch, my kids should be able to eat whatever they want, including Oreos and Cheetos if I say it's ok

I haven't had an issue in a while, but I did have an issue when DS who is now in 4th grade was in Kindergarten. The kids were all suppose to bring a "healthy" snack to eat mid morning. My son had discovered veggie straws, which are kinda similar to potato chips. She refused to let him have them as a snack and didn't send anything home to me letting me know. He would eat them at lunch. After about a week my extremely underweight son came home crying saying that he wasn't allowed to have a snack like the other kids. I was furious that this had gone on for so long without her letting me know, and instead let my son sit and class crying watching all the other kids eat.

I had a big issue with this for a few reasons:

1. Veggie straws are not okay but goldfish, popcorn and gummy fruit snacks are?
2. He had other options in his lunchbox like yogurt but he only pulled out the veggie straws and she said no, didn't even take the time to help him out. There were only 8 kids in the class.
3. She didn't tell me there was a problem.
What is wrong with veggie straws? LOL
My kids eat them all the time instead of gold fish. They are gold fished out at this point....that's all they would get in preschool or pretzel sticks

My little sister went through a phase in K-1st grade where all she would eat was bologna and cheese. I am not kidding for two years it was basically the only thing she would eat. She was/is very stubborn and she just about drove my mom crazy with this phase, but she wouldn't eat for meals on end if my mom wouldn't give her a bologna sandwich. YUCK! Pick your battles... I can't imagine what the school system would think or do if that happened now.

So lets get his straight I can send in a bag of potato chips, a slice of wonder bread, that would be a complete meal to the school. lol
Actually no. You need a fruit or veg with it. Don't shoot the messenger, these are all the new requirements from higher up. Won't say from where as it's political, but I think you heard about it already.

From the note:

Lunchables, chips, fruit snacks, and peanut butter are not considered to be a healthy snack.​

Wait just one cotton pickin' minute! Why isn't peanut butter a healthy snack?!?

If the school has a peanut allergy problem, that's one thing.

But peanuts are high in protein and good fat. Sodium may or may not be an issue, depending on which doctor you talk to and what day of the week it is.

From the note:

Lunchables, chips, fruit snacks, and peanut butter are not considered to be a healthy snack.​

Wait just one cotton pickin' minute! Why isn't peanut butter a healthy snack?!?

If the school has a peanut allergy problem, that's one thing.

But peanuts are high in protein and good fat. Sodium may or may not be an issue, depending on which doctor you talk to and what day of the week it is.
It's too high in fat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter