Moderate vs DVC Studio

TheYellowDart

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone-

We have stayed at Moderates ("suckered" with free dining plan) for the past two years. We are a family of 4 and we are okay with the size of those studios... The hotels we stayed at (Port Orleans & Coronado Springs) were nice enough, not WOW nice but really nice hotels.

Anyways, do the studio rooms compare in quality to a moderates studio? I know already that the hotels themselves will be better as we ate dinner at AKL and it was just a really fun place to be, but are the studios the same? We toured a 1bedroom and it had nicer fixtures, bathroom, kitchens were amazing but they did not have a studio to view.

We have done the math, DVC for us locks in our current vacation costs for years to come without having to shop for deals or worry there will not be a vacation next year because cheap dad wont buy unless he gets something free ;-), just want to know if we are getting upgraded rooms in the process.

Thanks!
YellowDart

The size of the studio is different with each DVC, OKW has the largest and AKV and SSR have the smallest. You can check out each DVC for the size.

Yes, fixtures and furnishings at the DVC resorts are nicer than the moderates although some of the pictures I'm seeing recently from the redone rooms at some of the moderates are looking different from the same old at those locations. If you saw a 1BR then you saw the same fixtures you would find in the studios. And even if they are getting little upgrades at the moderates there are the balconies at DVC. Moderates do not have those!!!!

the biggest difference I have seen is the distance between the resort to the park, DVC resorts being closer. But either way you are staying on property so it is really not that far. Like KAT4DISNEY said a lot of the updated moderate rooms are really beautiful and easily compare in themes to DVC rooms. In my experience I noticed the DVC rooms are a tad bit bigger and have a few more added little details and amenities. I love POR & POFQ but something about BWV or OKW just feels like home. Who can beat walking or boating to HS and EPCOT?!! :cloud9:

If I'm not wrong (never stayed in a moderate), the main difference is the presence of the kitchenette: a microwave, coffee maker, sink, fridge.
And most of the studios are bigger than hotel rooms (with few exceptions, live AKV values).

DVC studios will have (except at OKW) a Queen bed and a full(?) pullout. If you want two beds, you'll have to stay at a CRO hotel or at OKW. The pullouts are pretty good, but frankly, if I had a family of four, I'd rather stay at a moderate than a DVC studio.

I agree with Crisi, if the room is all that matters, I would stay in a moderate resort room. If the WHOLE resort matters, I would then stay in a DVC studio to enjoy the deluxe resort. Keep in mind you can not get free dining with DVC. It sounds like you are thinking of purchasing DVC. For our family, it has been the best decision we've made. We have never regretted it. I would suggest renting a reservation from a DVC member to see if you like a studio before purchasing. We rented twice before purchasing, once in a studio and once in a one bedroom.

For our family, it has been the best decision we've made. We have never regretted it. I would suggest renting a reservation from a DVC member to see if you like a studio before purchasing. We rented twice before purchasing, once in a studio and once in a one bedroom.

I agree with this. Your next trip to Disney try renting from a member. But beware you probably will be hooked.

I agree with this. Your next trip to Disney try renting from a member. But beware you probably will be hooked.

I agree that this is a good idea. In the meantime, you can google names of the different DVC resorts and studio (I.e., Saratoga springs resort studio). It will most likely come up with an image of the layout and pictures of what the room looks like.

We stayed at POFQ on a cash reservation a couple of years ago. The room felt like a Holiday Inn type of room...2 beds, not much extra room, small window overlooking the 2nd floor walkway for room access. The room felt dark.

On the other hand the DVC studios we have stayed in (SSR, VWL, BWV, AKV, VB) felt roomy. Each room had a large sliding patio door which let lots of light in. As DVC members we go to WDW more frequently and don't go rushing off. Thus, we love the nicer rooms.

Caribbean Beach Resort was the first Disney resort we stayed at on our first Disney trip in 1989. I thought at the time that CR was a gorgeous resort and that the room we were sharing with our 4yo ds and 11 yo dd was luxurious and roomy. I never thought that we would ever consider staying at a "premium" resort.

Over the years, we have now stayed numerous times at DVC resorts and a couple of times at the premium resorts, before becoming DVC BWV members last year.

Before our OKW NYE trip in Dec, we needed to stay 2 nights at Crb Beach. While I still think that CB is a gorgeous resort with beautiful grounds, we were stunned to see how "spoiled" we had become. In fact, I had to giggle when my dh walked in our CR room and muttered "what a dump!". When I emphatically told him that it most certainly was NOT "a dump", he laughed and agreed that it was, indeed, very nice but that we were so used to the DVC accomodations that CR seemed more like a regular hotel room in comparison.

It's hard to go back to moderates when you are used to staying at DVC resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!