• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mobile (cell) signal in internal cabins

lelalittlelegs

Mouseketeer
I know each mobile phone provider is different, as are phones in terms of signal and reception but does anyone have idea about reception/signal in internal cabins? We are back on the Magic again in 3 weeks and are in an internal for the first time and it's just come to me that maybe there will be just too much metal between our cabin and the outside in order to pick up a signal.

I turn off cell for cruise and place it in cabin safe. Why does one need a cell on a cruise? A week away from electronics is great!

DH had no problem getting a signal in our inside cabin when he had to make a work call one day on our cruise. That said, the rates on the ship are very expensive. If you have an international plan it is not necessarily in effect at sea so make sure you check with your provider. We would have to pay $2.50 per minute while at sea, even when we have an international plan.

DH had no problem getting a signal in our inside cabin when he had to make a work call one day on our cruise. That said, the rates on the ship are very expensive. If you have an international plan it is not necessarily in effect at sea so make sure you check with your provider. We would have to pay $2.50 per minute while at sea, even when we have an international plan.

Thank you for actually answering the question. We are from London and are cruising in the Med, while docked 4G and calls are free across Europe for most mobile plans over here and having been stung with ship to shore call rates in the North Atlantic last year we know not to use it when not in port. Thanks again.

I turn off cell for cruise and place it in cabin safe. Why does one need a cell on a cruise? A week away from electronics is great!

We have a mentally and physically disabled child, that's why we need access to our mobile phones at all times on holiday and why I asked the question.

I know each mobile phone provider is different, as are phones in terms of signal and reception but does anyone have idea about reception/signal in internal cabins? We are back on the Magic again in 3 weeks and are in an internal for the first time and it's just come to me that maybe there will be just too much metal between our cabin and the outside in order to pick up a signal.

When you are at sea the ship's cell service will reach to all the cabins just fine. Please be aware of the comments that the PP's posted about the cost of that service.

When you are in a port and attempting to access the land-based cell service, being on the interior of the ship will be a major impediment. You may have a weak signal, or none at all. There is no real way of knowing ahead of time.

It also depends on where you are going and who your carrier is. Major providers will have better coverage than discount carriers.

Instead of expensive wifi, having cellular data was much faster. Outside cabin facing land helped, otherwise going outside the top deck was good too.

On a trip to Alaska, we used our phones to text one another continuously on a competitor ship where there was coastline coverage. On Disney you have the Wave phones to do that.

Funny you ask :) So far the only inside cabin I stayed in (8019 on the Dream), our cell phones did not work at all. I have never had an issue before so I know it has to be the type of cabin. My friend and I have the same phone and different carriers and no go for either. As soon as we walked out of the cabin and down the hallway and got closer to the elevators they worked and this was even in Port Canaveral.

Heather

It also depends on where you are going and who your carrier is. Major providers will have better coverage than discount carriers.

Instead of expensive wifi, having cellular data was much faster. Outside cabin facing land helped, otherwise going outside the top deck was good too.

On a trip to Alaska, we used our phones to text one another continuously on a competitor ship where there was coastline coverage. On Disney you have the Wave phones to do that.

How does "cellular data" work? I've always been told to turn on airplane mode, but then you get nothing. No one has explained in English (as in non-tech speak) how to use cellular data without getting the stupid cellular at sea megacharge. I've got an iPhone 5s if that makes a difference.

How does "cellular data" work? I've always been told to turn on airplane mode, but then you get nothing. No one has explained in English (as in non-tech speak) how to use cellular data without getting the stupid cellular at sea megacharge. I've got an iPhone 5s if that makes a difference.

There's a few things you can do to minimize charges...
  • Look at a prepaid phone or SIM. Some prepaid phones DO NOT have partnerships and cannot roam.
  • Look at your cellular carrier. Some carriers give you the choice to roam or not.
  • Look at your phone settings, some phones allow you to turn off data, while continuing to be used for voice.
  • Look at your phone settings, some phones allow you to MANUALLY choose carriers. Automatic means the phone will roam if it finds your main carriers signal is too weak. Manual means to reject to ALWAYS and ONLY use your main carrier. Thus on my Alaska cruise, my phone would only look for a Canadian carrier while on a Canadian carrier's SIM. Once I cross the border, I swapped in a USA sim.

Sorry I don't have an iPhone to get you exact information....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=R_W90BfB5Zs&t=46

There's a few things you can do to minimize charges...
  • Look at a prepaid phone or SIM. Some prepaid phones DO NOT have partnerships and cannot roam.
  • Look at your cellular carrier. Some carriers give you the choice to roam or not.
  • Look at your phone settings, some phones allow you to turn off data, while continuing to be used for voice.
  • Look at your phone settings, some phones allow you to MANUALLY choose carriers. Automatic means the phone will roam if it finds your main carriers signal is too weak. Manual means to reject to ALWAYS and ONLY use your main carrier. Thus on my Alaska cruise, my phone would only look for a Canadian carrier while on a Canadian carrier's SIM. Once I cross the border, I swapped in a USA sim.

Sorry I don't have an iPhone to get you exact information....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=R_W90BfB5Zs&t=46

I know how NOT to get charges. What I'm trying to figure out is how to use this "cellular data" thing. Even DCL says to use it for their app, but the explanation for how is confusing. Can anyone who has actually used the cellular data and DCL app explain how to do it?

There app uses the ships wifi. If you use airplane mode. There is no wifi.

Looking at your phone settings, there is a way to turn off cellular, but you still have wifi enabled. Once you enable wifi, their app should work.

Go to cellular settings and turn cellular data off. Turn on airplane mode. Wifi will still work. Go to wifi settings to connect to DCL wifi. Once connected DCL app will work.

Go to cellular settings and turn cellular data off. Turn on airplane mode. Wifi will still work. Go to wifi settings to connect to DCL wifi. Once connected DCL app will work.

Thank you!!! :goodvibes

If you use airplane mode. There is no wifi.

That depends on the model. On an iPhone, turning on Airplane mode will indeed disable WiFi, but you can turn WiFi back on and still be in airplane mode. There's no separate setting to just turn off the cellular radio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter