MNSSHP - headless horseman and horse took a tumble

The horse is trained to go from point A (beginning of parade route) to point B (end of route) WITHOUT the need for the rider to actually ride him. In fact, with the nature of the costume, the rider does very little in the way of influencing the horse in any way. So if the rider fell off, the horse would continue on to the end of the route as he had been trained to do.

As to the previous posters "glue factory" comment. First, gross. Second, not even remotely likely.

True! I did the KTTK tour several years ago and the subject of MNSSHP came up. The tour guide said that actually the horseman can see very little, if anything during that ride. The horse is trained very well to run from point A to point B. The horseman just has to hold on tight. He never actually guides the horse.

I saw a video of the actual fall on my friend's FB wall. It was very scary! The horse pretty much went down on its entire right hind quarters & side. It was dark enough I couldn't see if the headless horseman was thrown or was able to 'roll or jump' off. But basically it looked like the horse hit a sheet of ice when it went to round a corner and it went down on its side. The horse immediately jumped up and continued running but that is when the person stopped videoing. Very scary how easily he could have slid into the crowd.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

We were standing in front of 'Casey's Corner' on Main Street for the first parade that night. We wondered why it seemed so delayed. Poor horseman. We had no idea. He rode by as if nothing had happened and we didn't watch the second parade to notice he was missing.
It had rained about an hour before the parade, but the roads were dry where we were. My 1yo was wearing soft soles Robeez-type shoes and I didn't want her feet to get wet. She was dancing on Main Street 10 minutes before the horseman came by and it was dry.

Just watched the videos! How sad, I could cry for the poor horse. And I sensed the horseman was embarrassed. Tragic.

ttintagel, I just saw your ticker. Looks like our trips will overlap? We will be there from Nov. 25-Dec. 1.

After watching the vids, I find it a shame of the mocking laughter and sarcasm of the people in the crowd.

So relieved both horse and rider are ok. In 12 days we will be attending our third MNSSHP. When I told my DH & kids what happened the other night there was a collective gasp & "oh, no!." The parade is great, but this reminds you that it's a real rider and horse out there every party night, doing an obviously risky stunt for our entertainment. Agree with the pp, the laughter is a shame. The outcome could have been much different.

Does anyone really know what shoes the horse actually wearing? Lots of people talking about it, but I was wondering if anyone actually knew? I haven't seen this horse (yet) but I seem to recall having looked at the drafters' shoes that pull the trolly and I dind't think they were regular shoes. Though I could be mistaken, not completely recalling what they were at the moment. I'll look at both on Sunday. ;) I'd be surprised that the horseman's horse, being as it gallops or canters on pavement wouldn't have the best shoes for the situation on. They must. Disney's not stupid, though that pavement looked wet and I thought that was a no-no:confused3 Bad call on someone's part.

I was thinking the same thing. What is wrong with people?:confused3

Wow! that's all I can say.. for people to laugh about it. That's terrible.
Also it is not that unusual for horses to slip down. I have had this happen to me numerous times on asphalt and in the mud. I have never seen a horse hurt from slipping down, could be possible... not likely.
As far as kids being traumatized over it, that is just sad. Have they never seen a Rodeo before?? Or would that tramatize them?
I would sure hate for Disney to eliminate the headless horseman for fear of traumatizing children.

disneynewbee said:
I was thinking the same thing. What is wrong with people?:confused3

I didn't think they were laughing or making fun of the situation in any way. I think they were watching the parade and didn't really "get" what was going on. Clearly, as the horse ran past, and the headless horseman walked past, they were both ok. Perhaps the people you heard were just enjoying the parade.

Does the Horseman trot/canter the route?

I understand it adds excitement at faster speeds, but I think a walk would be fine. People can get pictures, the music plays & all is good. I haven't been to MNSSHP, but the darkness & loads of people flashing their lights plus the pavement (even with proper shoeing) just seems to not make a lot of safety sense. And as a PP pointed out...if the horse goes down or slides, who knows how he could scramble getting up & people might be in the way (it looks pretty packed along the parade route).

Where did the horse and rider go after the tumble? They did not come back to the Frontierland parade starting entrance, did the horse or horse and rider finish the route?

I can't imagine it would be easy to get back on the horse in that costume without a platform or stand.

In one of the videos posted above, you can see the horse trotting down the street with no rider. I have no idea what happened after that, though. I would guess a CM grabbed the horse. :confused3

I haven't read this entire thread, but wanted to comment. I was working that night. I was at the flagpole in Town Square taking pictures with the pumpkins. I had another photographer with me. The horse - with his rider - came by as usual. Also, we were speaking with our leader, who used to work with the horses, and said if the horse had truly fallen there is no way he would have been allowed to finish the ride. He may have slipped, but did not fall.

Also, the horse is trained to finish the ride with or without a rider.

Years ago, the horse galloped along the parade route and it was stunning! It is my understanding that a nasty fall caused Disney to change the speed of the horse.

Does anybody else remember that?

I PRAY Disney doesnt stop the headless horseman ride. Its going to happen and this will not be the last.

RoBo , and several others, I think a "IM SORRY " to Beep is in store. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter