MNSSHP...anyone else disappointed?

letsgoagainsoon

North Central PA
Just back from our trip. We did MNSSHP on Friday the 15th. Everyone in our group was a bit disappointed. I'm not sure what we expected, but paying nearly full admission price for 5 hours did not seem worth it to us. We also thought that we would be able to grab something to eat at (CS), but every place we went was closed. Even the Aloha Isle was closed. I also thought they did not give out that much candy...if my husband and I had not been getting bags of candy too, our DS would not have gotten very much. We didn't even see that many characters out.

Did we miss something? :confused3

We ate over at Cosmic Rays around 7pm and saw people going in for food at varying times. We saw Casey's Corner open (in fact, one family next to us sent a person over there to get food while they waited for the fireworks to start). People were eating there and at Pecos Bills throughout the night. I remember seeing Aloha Isle closed, but I don't remember about the others. I do know that snack carts were open, though...because we got some snacks while waiting for the fireworks. There were plenty of food options available...I highly doubt that they would keep the park open to all those guests without providing them any way to eat.

For candy, DH and I each got half a bag's worth (making it one full bag) and that was with only hitting half of the Trick-or-Treat areas. We also sat on the curb for the 2nd parade and held our bags open as CMs walked by handing out 1-2 pieces of candy each. When we left the park, they had the "Top Off Trough" and CMs were handing out handfuls of bite size Snickers. I'm sure you also could have re-entered lines.

What is and isn't worth the ticket price is obviously up to the ticket holder...as different people have different ideas of what's "worth it." We personally really enjoyed all the party had to offer. Sorry you were disappointed.

i don't blame you for being disappointed, we were as well. my daughter cried when not only the first, but 2nd performance of the villains mix & mingle was cancelled, and it made me feel really bad, b/c the party tickets & costume were her b-day present. the only characters we saw were woody & bullseye at the diamond horseshoe, maleficent, jafar (the villains stayed out for about 10 minutes after cancellation of the first mix & mingle, i guess as a consolation) and pooh & eeyore at the pooh ride, that was IT. our only reasons for going were to see some rare characters (particularly rabbit and grumpy) and watch the shows & parade, so for us, it was a let-down. i'm glad to know the rain didn't ruin everyone's good time, though.

Disappointment in the Mix & Mingle cancellations shouldn't be blamed on Disney. It was raining which made the stage slick...which can be dangerous to the performers. I'm sorry your child was crying...the 11:15 mix & mingle did take place. The villains were also out for the other cancellations as well. There were also characters at the Dance Parties (we saw Stitch, Pluto, and Donald at the Tomorrowland one...and Chip & Dale at the Fantasyland one). We saw Pooh & Eeyore as you mentioned, but we also saw Piglet and Tigger switch places with them as well. We spotted the Genie and Abu earlier in the evening...later in the evening we saw Prince Ali and Jasmine. While we were in one trick or treat line, we saw Baloo, Tarzan, Jane, Terk, and Timon. There was even a "ghost" by the Haunted Mansion towards the end of the evening (you couldn't pose with her, but you could still do pics of her). I'm not quite sure who else was out as we didn't actively seek out any characters...those just happen to be the ones we saw as we walked by or got on/off rides or went trick-or-treating. I'm sure the rain had a lot to do with characters not being really out in the open.

I haven't been yet this year. Last year, they had a big bin filled with candy outside just before you went through the exit. It was filled with Nestle candy. You could take as much as you wanted.

I'm sorry you were disapointed in your party, however, I'm really excited about getting to go to our 2 MNSSHP in October. I think sometimes whether or not one has fun depends on how much one looks for it. From other post, it sounds like there were a lot of activites and character around. From what I understand Disney did the best they could with a rainy night. Even after raining, the headless horsemen still rode. I'm sorry you were disapointed. It sounds like somehow you missed a lot of the neat things about the party.

We just returned today. Here's my take on the party. The rain made it very hard, but Disney did what they could with it. The parade was very good although we did watch it in the rain. Most of the activities were very well organized and cast members seemed really into it. The fireworks were also great. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I was somewhat upset when Disney postponed the parade due to an impending storm and then started it right before the rain started. If they had ran it when scheduled I think we all could have enjoyed it w/o the rain. That being said, the parade looked good even in the rain! My only real complaint about the night was the very poor bus service from MK back to our resort (POR of course). Although we liked the party, I will most likely not go again unless we are booked at a different resort. The memories of the long wait and the un-airconditioned bus ride are too awful!

Do they use the Toon town tent if its raining,???? that would make sense..... characters could go in there? We are mainly going for my Dd to see the unusual ones.
We will pray for dry weather on the 12th !

I wanted to add that we too were disappointed that Aloha Isle was closed - I believe the map listed it as open so we went over there twice.

Lindy Loo said:
Do they use the Toon town tent if its raining,???? that would make sense..... characters could go in there? We are mainly going for my Dd to see the unusual ones.
We will pray for dry weather on the 12th !

Yeah the Toon Town tent runs anyway, I think you may find the prince's in there (not positive though)

Feralpeg said:
I haven't been yet this year. Last year, they had a big bin filled with candy outside just before you went through the exit. It was filled with Nestle candy. You could take as much as you wanted.

The big bin was filled with Snickers 9/15. They made sure we were leaving with a full bag!

The rain put a damper on this first MNSSHP experience for us, not the rain but the downpour of rain, I had a Mickey bag over my head LOL, we couldn't hear the 2nd announcement that they were starting the first parade so we missed almost all of it.

My biggest disappoint was sitting outside on the bench for face painting in Toontown from 6PM until it opened and another whole family jumped right in ahead of us, one in leopard pants and cat-ears, a dog suited kid, some lady with spiked up hair and a few others.

We were clearly sitting there waiting and they didn't care whatsoever that they jumped the "line" and oh yeah when the "curtain" was opened they all jumped up and were "1st in line", I had to explain to my DD 11 that they had no manners and probably was in a great hurry.

That was the most disappointing moment for me on this first MNSSHP.

Hubby and I are going to go 2 times next month. We will go on the 19th and 20th. We thought if it is raining they might not do everything so we are going again the next night. We will eat before we go on the 19th and have diner at LTT on the 20th.
Lexi pirate:

i don't blame the cancellation of the mix & mingle due to rain on disney in any way-i fully understand the need to keep their employees safe. i did, however, feel bad personally b/c i'd made the party tickets and tinkerbell costume my dd's birthday present, and she was heartbroken she didn't get to see the villains do their performance. unfortunately, we couldn't stay until the party ended b/c we had to get up at 5 a.m. to drive home, but having peter pan stop a sec to talk to her during the 2nd parade seemed to fade her disappointment.

We were there on the 15th. The rain was the biggest disappoinment for us (oh and my in-laws complaining) :) but overall the night was good. The night went by very quickly. Oh and the amount of candy that came home with us!!! My dd definitely does not need to go trick or treating for Halloween this year. I was shocked at how much candy they handed out and we didn't even make it to all the trick or treat spots. We did see the villian mix and mingle at 11:15 and then you could meet the characters after the show. Although, my intentions were to look for rare characters my dd and dh and in-laws had different ideas. We stopped at the dance party at Cosmic Ray's which was cool. My dd which is 4 got to hula hoop with pluto. We also stopped at the dance party near Ariel's grotto and she danced with Chip and Dale and then the 2 mice from Cinderella. We also saw Snow White and the 7 dwarfs before it started raining. That was my highlight of the night. My dd was so excited to see all 7 dwarfs especially Dopey that in the picture she is looking around at the dwarfs instead of the camera. So cute and funny. Anyways...we did have a good time. I would definitely do it again. The rain was a bummer but you can't control that. Lots of candy and the cm's were all very nice and looked like they were having a great time as well.

We went for the first time last Oct and we thought the same thing, we did not see the big attraction for the party and why did we waste money for the tickets. We do MVMCP every year and can justify that party but not MNSSHP. We swore we would never go again but we are...Oct 19th and we are taking our 2 nieces for their first trip to WDW ever. DH suggested taking them to the MNSSHP because Halloween is the girls favorite holiday..

We were a little disappointed this year too, we LOVED last year. Maybe it was the rain, or the shortage of candy or how long the lines were for candy and to see characters... I don't know. Just wasn't the same as last year. But still fun and we'll go again!

I haven't gone yet (going September 29th and October 2nd), but I am disappointed that the party sounds like a clone of last year's party, minus some characters. I was hoping for some "new" things, like a new villains mingle or new treat trail with different characters, but nope. I probably could skip this year, as there sounds like nothing new to see, but I already got tickets, so I guess I will go! Just wished there was something new to look forward to! :(

You know every year this thread appears..... I always think that it's amazing that all these folks were at the same party.

The Halloween Party is not my favorite at all and I probably won't go this year. (I don't really get into Halloween. However, last year I had SO much Candy I gave it away to one of the folks I was there with (He was a CM and lived with some other young men, they certainly need a bag of fattening chocolate more then a middle age slightly overweight woman LOL!)

However, I think that a lot of it is what you make of it. I tell people that if you think this is a private party to ride rides, you are going to be disappointed. This year folks seem to be on the "rare character" hunt which is probably going to set someone up for disappointment.

(And I love the Christmas Party, last year was the first time in years I missed that.....)

Sept 15 was our third MNSSHP and we enjoyed it. It was about the same as other two we had attended in previous years. The rain was a bummer and it seemed more crowded than usual to me (that may have just been my imagination). We dressed the family as Star Wars characters (dh was Vader, I was Leia, children were: Anakin, Padme, Yoda and Chewbacca) and that was a lot of fun. Dh got a lot of attention as Vader. Cast members and guests loved him. We planned on doing the full-face mask before I was gently reminded on this board about the no mask rule - so dh did the half Darth Vader mask and it turned out well considering what a short amount of time we had to build it!

I've never been to the Christmas party at Disney - maybe one day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter