MK Resort Counter Service - Suggestions?

DancinDaisyDuck

Nothing left for me to do but dance
I am planning on a quick service lunch on my Magic Kingdom day and without straying too far away from the park but trying something new. I've done every counter service in the place! For those who know, which would you recommend?

Gasparilla Grill?

Roaring Forks?

Contempo Cafe?

Captain Cook's?

From what I've seen in dining reports, they all look good but I am intrigued by the new specialty cupcakes at each resort and know they change frequently. I am allergic to strawberries, but will eat any other kind of cupcake, cake, or dessert in general!

I have eaten at all except Roaring Forks, and they are all good. I like the flatbreads at Comtempo and the chicken sandwich at Captain Cooks. Gasparilla usually has good sandwiches, too. The problem with Gasparilla is that it is hard to get the kids away from the arcade games. Sory, can't comment on the cupcakes!

I really liked the fish sandwich at Contempo Cafe:

Spice Crusted Mahi - topped with citrus-apple slaw on a Kaiser roll $9.19

And they have a large selection of cupcakes but I had one of each (seriously) when I was there and none of them were good :confused3 But the sandwich (came with fries) was one of the best quick service meals I had during that particular trip!

I also LOVE the grown up grilled cheese at Captain Cooks. It has different cheeses on it with a bit of tomato and arugala and it is panini pressed so it isn't fried in a pan with a bunch of butter - you really get to taste the cheese flavors. The assorted polynesian chips are really good too as long as you don't get any stale ones. But seriously, these are good and unique since they use multiple root veggies, not just potatos. And they typically have a tomato soup too (a bit of cream, chunks of tomato) that really compliments the sandwich. And of course, the best dessert - DOLE WHIP!!

Roaring Forks is the absolute worst quick service I've ever eaten at Disney. We stayed at WL and went there a few times so we did try some different things. The flatbreads were greasy and the chicken breast nuggets and fries sat on a hot plate that you could see. Someone didn't want theirs and the person behind the counter took back the person's plate and put them BACK in the pan :scared1: Even though the person just asked for it and was handed the plate, they should have never put them back in after that person touched the plate. Anyway, that was gross but the food just wasn't that good.

I haven't eaten at Gasparilla Grill so I can't comment.

Captain Cook's is sooooo good! I mention it in my trip report. Hawaiian nachos are fantastic!

I agree with Captain Cook's! I had a yummy pepperoni flatbread there in March, plus, of course, Dole Whip! :thumbsup2

If you go to Captain Cooks on the dining plan can you get a Dole Whip as your dessert?

Contempo Cafe or Captain Cook's. I don't think Roaring Forks is worth a special trip.

Yes, at Captain Cook's you can get Dole Whip as a dessert. Just let the cashier know and they will mark your receipt to show you are owed a dessert. There is a pleasant seating area outside too!

Contempo Cafe for sure! We stayed at Wilderness Lodge the last two years and would often leave to eat another resort (Poly or CR) rather than eat at Roaring Forks again. Love WL, but Roaring Forks needs help!

Other than the Dole Whips and Grown Up Grilled Cheese I hear a lot about, what else is at Captain Cooks?

DancinDaisyDuck said:
Other than the Dole Whips and Grown Up Grilled Cheese I hear a lot about, what else is at Captain Cooks?

Tonga Toast (breakfast). Yum!

We've never eaten at Contempo Cafe but out of the other 3, our favorite is Captain Cooks, followed closely by Roaring Forks. We didn't care for Gasparilla's at all.

Don't know when you trip is, but keep in mind that Gasparilla Grill and Games is expected to close August 24, and reopen in December.

Of all of the MK resort CS places, I'd say Captain Cooks is my favorite, especially for atmosphere, windows to look out and see the tropical foliage, and tables to sit out there if you wish. All of these things we've eaten there have been good: Hawaiian Flatbread, Aloha Pork Sandwich, Pork Nachos, Multigrain Turkey Club, Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Stir-Fried Noodles.

We've liked the food at Gasparilla's too, but the indoor seating area was cramped and noisy with the games in the same space, but that might change with the re-do. Again, you could take your food to tables right outside the door if the weather was nice.

Contempo: I've only eaten there once, they had some interesting food offerings though.

Roaring Forks - the Lodge is big and beautiful, but the CS is rather cramped and the offerings seem more limited, which might be because I don't find much on the menu I personally like... but that is just me! :)

hmm, capt cooks or contemp cafe?

where or how to get to Capt cooks after you get off the monorail?

is it convenient?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter