MK parking questions

MVBowers111

Mouseketeer
We are less than 30 days out from our trip and I'm really getting nervous about parking at the parks. I hope that someone here can help me feel less stressed! We are a group of 10, staying off site and will have a rental car. On October 20 we are attending the MNSSHP, after spending the first half of the day at Hollywood studios.

So, because we want to get to the MK at four...we are planning on leaving HS at 3. The only way to get to the MK is through the TTC, right? That leaves us to battle the crowds leaving at midnight, which I'm not so happy about.

Can we park at DTD and then catch a bus to MK? Or can you only park at DTD if you are shopping there? What about parking at the Contemporary or somewhere else and then hopping a bus to the MK?

I'm mainly trying to avoid having to deal with the crush of people after the MNSSHP, but there may be no way around it.

Thanks for any advice!

There is no transportation from DTD to the parks.

And you can't park @ a resort to go to a park, unless you want to pay to valet park.

Otherwise, you will have to park at the TTC.

I really wouldn't stress about it, just go with the flow. Take your time leaving the park or else just leave a bit earlier than the end of the party. We normally don't stay until the bitter end of the party.

There are no direct buses to the parks from Downtown Disney.

If you must avoid the TTC, then your next best bet is to valet park at the Contemporary. It costs $14 (I think) and you can walk to/ from the MK from there.

What you should NOT do is park yourself at the Contemporary, thus taking spots away from guests of that resort. Use the valet service.

Can you pay to valet park at a resort if you are not staying onsite? Just curious....any idea how much? Thx........

Yes, anyone can pay to valet park at a resort. As I said, I think the cost is around $14.

Pretty cheap compared to fighting the masses to get to the TTC.

Why relocate the car at all? If you don't want to drive over, take a bus from DHS to MK, then bus back when you are done? Busses don't run directly to the parks from DTD (likely to prevent people from taking advantage of free parking).

My preference would be to drive to MK and have the car nearby, but we don't find it too inconvenient as long as you time your departure well. The stores almost always stay open on Main St. to allow enough time for the throngs to thin out considerably. Spend 30 minutes shopping, then walk onto the monorail back to parking.

I think I posted at the same time you did---so thanx for your response again! lol GOOD information, for sure!

Why relocate the car at all? If you don't want to drive over, take a bus from DHS to MK, then bus back when you are done?

Two reasons why this won't help/work.

1. The bus to take you back to DHS picks you up at the TTC so you still have to fight the crowds to get there.
  2. Bigger reason, by the time MNSSHP lets out DHS will have been closed for hours so there won't be any buses running there from anywhere so you would have to take a cab back either from the CR or again the TTC. Or thinking out of the box, take a bus to an Epcot Resort and walk back to the DHS parking lot and then so your car since the trams will also not be running.

Two reasons why this won't help/work.

1. The bus to take you back to DHS picks you up at the TTC so you still have to fight the crowds to get there.
  2. Bigger reason, by the time MNSSHP lets out DHS will have been closed for hours so there won't be any buses running there from anywhere so you would have to take a cab back either from the CR or again the TTC. Or thinking out of the box, take a bus to an Epcot Resort and walk back to the DHS parking lot and then so your car since the trams will also not be running.
But you could take a bus from MK to the Boardwalk, and then walk back to your car at DHS from there.

If you really want to avoid the hordes, just valet park at the CR and then walk over to MK. I would also walk back to the CR from MK as well...takes about 8 mins.
You will have to pay to valet park though...about $14 or so. If you were to park at the TTC, you would be able to just hold onto your parking slip from DHS and then not pay again at TTC.

thanks everyone for the ideas! Valet parking at the contemporary is a good idea, we may do that. Or just leave the party a half hour early to try to avoid the crowds. I don't want to worry too much about it, that takes away the fun!

But you could take a bus from MK to the Boardwalk, and then walk back to your car at DHS from there.

Yea I added that to my post but with that route its should only take you 2 hours to get to your car. :scared1:

another question...would it be a good idea to just start out the day by valet parking at the CR, then catch the bus to DHS? Essentially leaving the car all day at the CR til the party is over?

another question...would it be a good idea to just start out the day by valet parking at the CR, then catch the bus to DHS? Essentially leaving the car all day at the CR til the party is over?

You could but It adds a lot of time to your morning travel and your over all travel time for the day.

There are very few "out of the box" solutions to save time in transportation at WDW. It would be best just to park at DHS and then move to where ever you plan to park for MK.

I'm wondering if maybe as the word gets out how hard it is to get out to the TTC after a party that more people will try the valet route at the CR and they have to restrict it CR guests and ADR holders only.

Also you say you have a rental car for 10 I hope its a big van and not a car.

If you want to park at the Contemporary it's best to pay the $12.00 + a tip and valet park, this way you are not taking up a self parking spot from someone who is staying there and then you can walk over to the Magic Kingdom.

Now even though there is nothing wrong with doing that just remember there could be a slim chance that you won't even be allowed in the Contemporary to valet park. Since you are not staying there or don't have a confirmed ADR for one of their restaurants, when you tell the Cast Member at the gaurd shack you want to valet and go off to the Magic Kingdom you might have someone who says you can't do that and turn you away. The reason is you wouldn't be on a list of guests with ADR's and the Contemporary might be busy that time with a huge convention and when that happens they turn everyone away who isn't staying there or without confirmed ADR's.

If you want to park at the Contemporary it's best to pay the $12.00 + a tip and valet park, this way you are not taking up a self parking spot from someone who is staying there and then you can walk over to the Magic Kingdom.

Now even though there is nothing wrong with doing that just remember there could be a slim chance that you won't even be allowed in the Contemporary to valet park. Since you are not staying there or don't have a confirmed ADR for one of their restaurants, when you tell the Cast Member at the gaurd shack you want to valet and go off to the Magic Kingdom you might have someone who says you can't do that and turn you away. The reason is you wouldn't be on a list of guests with ADR's and the Contemporary might be busy that time with a huge convention and when that happens they turn everyone away who isn't staying there or without confirmed ADR's.
Won't be an issue. There would be no reason for the staff at the guard shack to be told that the guest was going to valet park. They could be at the CR meeting someone, or just simply shopping. Self parking is provided for that.
Now...if the valet lot was close to full, then the guest may be turned away, unless they were a guest of the CR...by which I mean paying to stay there.

All this is good information to know...I just want to have a couple of option ideas and this is great! Thanks to everyone! This is the exact reason that I love these boards, everyone is so nice and helpful.

thanks everyone for the ideas! Valet parking at the contemporary is a good idea, we may do that. Or just leave the party a half hour early to try to avoid the crowds. I don't want to worry too much about it, that takes away the fun!

Or just as simple...

Stay till the end, and just enjoy hanging out inside the park (shopping, getting an ice cream, etc) for awhile after the party ends to give the crowds some time to thin out in the crush for transportation.

When you park at the TTC they usually tell you when the last parking lot tram of the day is going to run, so you should have plenty of time between the party ending and that last tram so there is no real reason to rush out and deal with the crush of people.

Alternatively, if you are more concerned about getting out quickly in the evening than getting up in the morning, you could park at the TTC and take a bus to DHS in the morning. Busses aren't that frequent but your car would be in the right place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter