MK at Capacity

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
I just talked to a CM in the reservations located in Tampa. We had a nice long conversation, learned his life story, and during the conversation he shared that yesterday they flashed on their screens in CRO that the Magic Kingdom was at capacity. I find that very impressive.

Great for the long term, IF it keeps up, but most likely because of the recent cuts, being at capacity for the masses down there most likely is unbearable.

Anyone have any reports?

I am glad I wasn't there too, but I am just impressed that current "world events" have not caused a lot of people to cancel their plans. I was concerend about going to WDW earlier this month, and probably would have been very concerned if my trip were scheduled during the time that the 48 hour ultimatum was given by President Bush.

On the flipside, going to WDW is the best medicine for all my worries, and maybe a lot of other people felt that same way too.

Originally posted by RweTHEREyet
I am glad I wasn't there too, but I am just impressed that current "world events" have not caused a lot of people to cancel their plans.
I think people are actually coming to WDW in defiance now. That whole "no bleep-ing terrorist is going to keep me from MY vacation!" thing. In droves ... just to prove that they can.

I'm envisioning a whole new psychological condition. Vacation rage. Vented against people who are telling you that it's not safe to be at your favorite theme park.

Yikes! :eek:

Sorry, but you knew this was coming from me...

MK at capacity on a day that the park shuts down at 8 can't generate a great deal of customer satisfaction. I know I'm a broken record, but I really wonder if WDW hasn't gone overkill on the park hours reductions.

IMHO.........Good and Bad news.....
Glad to see that people are going!!!!:)
Could be that Thurs is EE for MK PLUS since the the park hours have been cut.....MK closing at 8pm.....more people are making sure they get there early enough so as to get their moneys worth.
But......I agree with gcurling.....
MK at capacity on a day that the park shuts down at 8 can't generate a great deal of customer satisfaction. I know I'm a broken record, but I really wonder if WDW hasn't gone overkill on the park hours reductions.
Now....I am really concerned about the week after Easter!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, cindyfan, if the hours WDW is currently showing for the week after Easter are accurate, you might be okay. The 22nd is showing "unavailable" but the 23rd is 10PM and the 24th is 11PM.

I fear for the people at the MK over Easter weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are all showing the MK closing at 8PM! Normally, you would expect the park to close at either 11 or 12.

I really hope the website just has bad information.

Thats good! Infact I just noticed that the Disney stock was up too!! Maybe things are looking up. (lets hope)

SO please some one inform me there must be two different at capacity right? or am i reading this wrong? I was there for the millinium new years eve in the MK and i thought that was at capacity as it can get. yesterday was just a regular day....there were that many people there as say july 4th or some other major hoildays?

If so, any info on whether Disney is expanding hours based upon demand?

When I looked at the website last week, the 19th-21st were 9-7, and the 22nd was 9-8. Today, it's showing 9-8, 9-9 for Sat. So yes, they are expanding hours, but is it enough to adequately meet the demand?

Is Safari Steve or any other MK CM around? Is the MK really that busy?

Ah, Orlando Sentinel
article

hopemax said:
I fear for the people at the MK over Easter weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are all showing the MK closing at 8PM! Normally, you would expect the park to close at either 11 or 12.
As far as I can tell, the official WDW site shows MK closing 10pm, 10pm, 11pm over Easter weekend (April 18, 19, 20), as it has, I think, since April hours appeared on the site a few weeks ago. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm concerned, because I will be there then, and I don't like the sound of those 8pm closings!

They've updated the hours since about 2 hours ago. I had to go to the site to pull those hours for cindyfan. The 8PM closings were showing for the last couple days, there was a thread about it over on the theme parks board.

But now they are showing late closings for the week before Easter up to the Thursday after. They're even have 2 Spectro's scheduled. So at least today Easter visitors can feel comforted, next week might be a different story :) "As the Park Hours Change"

yesterday was just a regular day....there were that many people there as say july 4th or some other major hoildays?
I think you are correct, "capacity" is probably determined by historical trends in attendance.

New Years Eve for instance you would find a full parking lot. I doubt that was the case yesterday.

Let's say 3/20/?? traditionally has 12k guests and yesterday it rose to 18k. That is more than the traditional attendance and more than the historical labor needs can handle. Therefore "capacity."

A large portion of the parking lot was used yesterday, and crowds have been healthy all week, but we have not reached capacity. Niether the park nor the parking lot filled up.

thanks Safari Steve and Dznefreek for clearing most of that up for me. It boggled my mind that it could have been that full yesterday just a regualr day but
Let's say 3/20/?? traditionally has 12k guests and yesterday it rose to 18k. That is more than the traditional attendance and more than the historical labor needs can handle. Therefore "capacity."
makes more sense.

Okay, that's better.....Someone was playing games with the hours for April and had everyone in a panic!!:eek:
Although I am still concerned about the latter part of our stay with the hours being cut.
But we will still have a great time!!!

Thanks Steve.....when I read they were at capacity.....I was really wondering!!:eek:
so what you mean is that they didn't have enough CM in the park to handle the amount of people:confused:
That is just as scary!!!
At least when they plan for heavy crowds they have enough CM working. It sounds like they didn't.:eek:

O.K. showing my ignorance, I would have thought it meant you can't fit another baby stoller or sweaty body into the MK. Guess it makes sense that it would mean not more than they can handle with the CM's that are working.

I also assumed that it meant no more people other than Resort guests permitted to enter, would that be right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter