Mission Space

dmc613

Earning My Ears
Anyone have any news on Mission Space and when it may be opening? I have heard rumors that one 'pod' is finished and has been tested by a few select people, but can't verify that. And have they done any random guest tests or CM previews? Thank you all,

-Dan :)

what I have heard from my son, who works at Epoct is that they are selecting willing guests from the front gates to do test rides.

I've been watching this thread for news. I been hoping to hear a date. I have two trips this year, one in May, one in November. I was really hoping to be able to impress all my guests with inside information, the date, something, anything, about Mission Space.

You guys have dissapointed me.

Richyams, I understand the "threat of death" has been imposed on all working on Mission:Space not to reveal details. Without giving names, there is a poster on this board who personally knows someone working on the attraction. That person generally shares a great deal with him and is tight lipped (to the point of even saying that he is not working on it - even though that's impossible given his role at WDW) about M:S. Even the insidest of insiders aren't reporting much news. Sorry to disappoint.

Ok, I was worried. I thought that maybe you guys knew I was watching the thread and purposely not revealing anything....you guys are pretty clique-like over here.

Glad to hear its not me.

Hi Richyams. Originally we were all lead to believe that MS would open by early summer. The progress of the interior portion of the ride up to this point(with just one pod in operation) leads one to think otherwise. Some have speculated that Disney, in an attempt to spoon feed us so as to create somewhat of a more consistent stream of projects and to avoid giving us too much all at once so that a long period of time doesn't go by between significant developement, has slowed things down to the point where Oct/Nov seems like a more likely scenario. Apparantly Mickey's Philharmagic will stand alone this summer as the latest thing to-do. If that's the case then there's no reason why you and I won't get to take in MS this year. I'll be staying at BWVs and BCVs on points. Hope to see you in the area

luis

Has the PhilharMagic opening been changed? The last estimate I heard was November 03 (pretty much the only estimate I have seen on official releases)...

Disney has not given a specific opening date for MP Steve,. Imagineering's stance is that it will open in 2003. The month is anyone's guess. They obviously do not want to commit, for whatever reason. My estimates are pure speculation based on reports that advanced bookings are soft for the summer and they really do need something new to promote the parks to out-of-towners. Also, reports of no major delays and positive progress reports seem to indicate that they could open by summer if they really wanted to(same for mission space if they hadn't slowed things down). Also, if you believe the rumors that they are spacing out new attractions rather then lumping them together(so that guests get a false sense that Disney is adding new things regularly-aka "more-bang-for-the-buck"), then it would stand to reason that based on reports of delays at Mission Space, Mickey's Philharmagic should open sooner so as to keep pace with the spacing issues. There are alot of "ifs" here I know Steve, but hey, it kind of makes it a little more interesting to discuss.

Luis

I wasn't speculating... "November 2003" has been printed several times in company literature. I understand that nothing is ever set in stone (I've seen that proven over and over again over the last few years), and "November" certainly isn't specific by any definition, but it's the only time frame I've seen.

The November projection is interesting indeed Steve. This is the first I've heard of it being written-up in any official company announcement. When was the last time you read this? Was it in Eyes/Ears? Just curious. That would obviously discredit the rumors that have been going around about two seperate openings. My next trip isn't until late October/early November, so if it's as late as the company literature is projecting I guess I, and Richyams, will get our shot at it anyway. Both attractions sound really exciting, so obviously I'm really looking forward to trying them out.

Luis

As a matter of fact, the last place I read it was Eyes and Ears back in December of this past year. Previously I had seen "November 03" in other documents as well (such as Magical Times, the old MK newsletter... now that I think about it, I wonder if they still print MT... hmmm....)

The November date for Phil would more or less coincide with a 6 month gap (rumored to be Rasulo's preference) after the originally planned (based on the since-removed countdown clock in Innoventions) April opening for Mission:Space.

So, if M:S may be delayed until very late this year there may be a desire to move up the opening of Phil.

There are "rumors" going around about the whole six-month gap thing. Some marketing types are saying that's fine when you're talking about a single park that relies on repeat visits by day guests (say Disneyland Paris).

But for a resort, which guests usually visit on once every few years and require more planning and bigger budgets, that huge events with lots of "new" are more important. And, the "rumors" go, recent experience at WDW proves that trickles of small attractions (Asia, Aladdin, Din-o-Rama) do nothing to increase attendance at all. So the suggestion is that major marketing, tied to multiple openings, are a better way of telling guests there is a reason to visit.

So I guess my hopes for the first week of May are pretty much out of the question.....

Which May?

Just kidding, sort of. 'Mission Space' will open sometime before Thanksgiving even if the engineers have to push the spinners manually. There's far too much money at stake for Disney to have anything less happen.

Then again, that's exactly the same thing they said about 'Test Track'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter