~*~ Mindyjoy's May 19 2012 Disneyland Wedding TR ~*~ Trip Report Has Begun!

Mindyjoy

DIS Veteran
I’m still a little bit in shock that I’m actually about to start my own Planning Journal. But here I am!!!!

I am somewhat new to the DISboards but I discovered it when I was planning my Disney cruise a couple months ago (booked for Mexican Riviera in April 2011). THEN I discovered the Wedding board. :lovestruc You see, I’m a little bit of a wedding junkie. I watch all the TV shows and look at all the magazines. I’ve spent an embarrassing amount of time reading complete strangers’ PJs and TRs and looking at all the pictures. I really can’t get enough.

Before I continue, how about some identifying information (most of this is copied from my Cruise TR): My name is Mindy (31), and my DF is Tim (33). We live in Los Angeles and have been dating for five and a half years. :love: Growing up in Los Angeles, my family took annual trips to Disneyland and I am a life-long Disney fan. I have been a Disneyland AP holder for 12 years. DF grew up in New England and, well … is not as enthused about Disney as I am. Before we met he had never been to Disneyland :shock: and had only been to WDW a couple times. Within a month of us dating we went to Disneyland. As DF was buying a day pass I said to him, “If you plan on dating me for a while, you might want to invest in an annual pass.” He said, “Let me see if I like this place first.” :lol: Needless to say, when we were on our way out he upgraded to an AP! And has renewed every year ever since. I can’t say I’ve converted him to a full-blown Disney fan but he enjoys Disneyland and enjoys Disney movies (especially Pixar). We try to go to Disneyland about once a month and every year for my birthday we stay at the Grand Californian.

Shortly after BF and I started dating, I made the decision to get my college degree. I never went to college after high school because I was working part-time at a store in the local mall and they promised me a full time manager position after I graduated. I felt this was a pretty good deal so I took it. 12 years later I don’t work at the mall anymore :lmao: but I’ve managed to make a fairly decent life for myself without a degree.

It sounds cheesy, but after I met DF I felt like my life started falling into place. DF is a creative type and a comedy writer and he works really hard to achieve his goals, and he inspires me to be a better person. I am a true Virgo and we balance each other out. DF is on the cusp of Libra and Scorpio but according to my fancy-schmancy Astroanalysis book (yeah, I’m THAT girl :wizard:), he is a Libra. And here is what it says about Virgo Woman and Libra Man:

“Your love of art and music could draw you together in the first place (we met a comedy theater). You will certainly like his sense of humor. Occasionally you will take life too seriously. He will teach you to see the comic side as well. He is also very practical.”

I just about fell over when I first read this. It describes us perfectly and this is just the first paragraph. Maybe I’ll type out the whole thing later if I have time. It really is amazing how accurately it describes us as a couple. Honestly, after our first official date, I knew he was “the one” :cloud9:

Anyway, where was I … oh yeah college. I knew with DF’s support, I couldn’t fail! So for the last 4.5 years I’ve worked full time and gone to school full time. And as of last night … I’M DONE!!!!! I am officially a college graduate. Well, I don’t have the paper yet, but I’ve completed all the units and according to the website, I’m done. It still has to be reviewed and approved, blah blah. But yeah, I’M DONE!! It is such a good feeling. :goodvibes

Sorry this has gotten so long … next up, THE PROPOSAL.

Welcome!! Lol, I love how your converted your DF to a Disney fan. I hope to do that to mine as well. (He's only been once and he was little then).

Congratulations on graduating! What's your major?

I can't wait to hear all your plans!!!! popcorn::

I’ve known I wanted to marry DF for a while now and we had started talking about “when we get married” rather than “if we get married.” So I was beginning to wonder if he was ever going to ask me. A few of my friends thought that maybe he was waiting until I was done with school, but I was convinced he was so career-focused and a workaholic that he just wasn’t even thinking about it. So I had actually started to think about proposing to him on our April 2011 cruise. I was actually kind of getting excited about planning it, but now I don’t get to. :rotfl:

On Sunday 11/28/10, we had plans to go to Disneyland in the afternoon and evening to see the fireworks and snow. In my opinion, there is no better place in the world than Main Street during the snow. :cloud9: It is my absolute favorite thing ever and I always get very emotional. :cloud9: It was so cold here in So Cal that weekend and I was thinking I didn’t really want to go. DF said he wasn’t sure when he could go in December so we should just suck it up and go that night. So I said, okay. We got to Disneyland around 2pm and rode a few rides (Small World Holiday, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Pirates, Astro Blasters, Big Thunder) and ate chili bread bowls at Golden Horseshoe. It wasn’t too crowded and we had a pleasant afternoon.

DF seemed concerned about how windy it was all day and that the fireworks might be cancelled. I was thinking, “Wow, he really wants to see the fireworks this year.” Usually he is not too excited about it, or at least not as excited about it as I am. I told him that even if the fireworks get cancelled we should stick around because they will still do the snow. So since we thought the fireworks would be cancelled, I decided we should stake out a spot at the beginning of Main Street near the Christmas Tree, because it’s less crowded back there and we can make a quick exit. So we got some hot chocolate and found a bench near the tree, kind of facing the Mad Hatter. At around 8:30 they made the announcement that the fireworks show had been cancelled but they would be doing the snow (the announcement is much more magical and formal than that, haha). So we stood up and watched the lights on the Tree turn from color to white (for snow, duh) and then that magical version of White Christmas starts playing (I’m tearing up just thinking of it) and I hear the snow machines start whirring. :cloud9:

The snow started to fall and DF started talking to me, telling me he loved me and stuff. I was like, “that’s nice” because I was trying to watch the snow!!!! He had to kind of pull on my arm so I would face him, and then he said, “I love you very much and I want to spend the rest of my life with you …” And then … I DON’T REMEMBER BECAUSE I BLACKED OUT. SERIOUSLY. Allegedly he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him and I said yes, BUT I HAVE NO MEMORY OF ANY OF THIS. The next thing I remember we were hugging and crying, and I had the ring in my hand. I must have taken it from him?!?!?! I DON’T KNOW!!!!! When I snapped out of it I said, “OH, you have to put this on me!!” So I gave him back the ring and he put it on my hand. He said it was a temporary ring and I could pick out my real one.

5242710705_4a90bc5d8b.jpg

It is pink rhinestone Mickey ears and I love it so much. You will quickly learn that my favorite color is pink. It is actually too big for my ring finger so I plan on wearing it on my middle finger next to my real ring, once I get it.

After he put the ring on, I said, “wait, did I say ‘yes?’” And he said, “yes, you did.” And I told him I didn’t remember. Then I called my mom and texted my BFF. Then I said we had to go to City Hall and get our pins!!!!! So we ran over to City Hall and got our pins, and they also gave us a voucher for a free 8x10 picture from the PhotoPass! What a nice surprise. We took a couple pictures in front of the tree and in front of the castle. We wanted to get one by the tree since that’s where he proposed, but I didn’t like how I looked in any of them, so this is the one we chose:

5243304980_029e64f91a.jpg

Pardon my beauty, but DF didn’t warn me that I might need makeup and a hair brush so I didn’t have any of that with me. I don’t really wear much makeup anyway and when I go to Disney I travel light. So here I am, no makeup and “hat hair” from wearing my beanie all day. But, it is what it is and since there was no one taking pictures of the actual moment, I am glad we have this photo keepsake taken right after.

When we picked up our picture, the cashier asked when we got engaged and I told her just now, during the snow. She looked at her co-worker and said, “I was JUST SAYING how the snow would be such a perfect time for a proposal.” And I said, “It happened to me!!!!” I still was in shock.

So that’s our story for now. DF and I agreed to wait until January to start discussing things like budget and dates, since December is so hectic and busy as it is. But of course I can’t help but start looking at wedding things. I titled this our *potential* Disneyland wedding because I have dreams of getting married at the Rose Garden at the Disneyland Hotel, but we haven't really discussed it so I can't say for sure that is where we will get married. DF and I are paying for this ourselves and our budget will be very modest, so we need to meet with a planner and see if it could even be an option for us. (I think it could, but we'll see ...)

If you’ve read this far, wow, THANK YOU!

Next up, possible rings.

Welcome!! Lol, I love how your converted your DF to a Disney fan. I hope to do that to mine as well. (He's only been once and he was little then).

Congratulations on graduating! What's your major?

I can't wait to hear all your plans!!!! popcorn::

He is not totally converted but he puts up with my obsession and that's why I love him! :love:

Thank you! I obtained my Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice.

I have been enjoying your PJ so I hope you will enjoy mine as well. I love making new computer friends. :grouphug:

We haven’t done any wedding planning yet but I have been looking at rings. I really want a Tiffany’s ring but they are so expensive. There is a website called Brilliant Earth that also has beautiful rings and they are mined from Canada so they are conflict-free. That is something that is very important to me. I want to know that the gems in my ring were mined and traded legally and no one was harmed or killed during the process. I know there’s no way to guarantee this, but both Tiffany’s and Brilliant Earth have pledges on their websites so it puts me at ease. I haven’t been able to find this pledge on any other jewelry site.

Anyway, here are some of the ones I like:

5243371068_17eed3fc29_m.jpg

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Sapphire-Tiara-Ring-Platinum-BE150BD12R8-SP6RD/

I love this ring the most but it is a teensy bit over budget.

5242776919_dc024c8c25_m.jpg

This is second choice but it would have to be custom made so I’m not sure of the price. A similar ring with blue sapphires is $1,600, which would be within budget.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Three...apphire-Trellis-Ring-Platinum-BE503TS2R4-502/

Here are my favorites from Tiffany’s. Unfortunately I cannot save pics off their site.

#1 choice (overbudget, do you see a pattern here? :laughing:): http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+pink+ring&search=1

#2 choice: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/ite...6-ri+-ni+1-t&selectedsku=19557928&mcat=148204

#3 choice: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/ite...6-ri+-ni+1-t&selectedsku=19235076&mcat=148204

I really like the Brilliant Earth ones but I’m nervous since I can’t try them on. DF said we can go to Tiffany’s and try on the rings I like and rings similar to the ones on BE and then go from there.

What does everyone think?

I think that’s a good enough start for tonight. I look forward to chatting with all of you and sharing opinions and ideas.

Mindy, I am so glad you have a PJ now so I can read about all your ideas!! So glad that you were able to introduce your DF to Disney!! I love the picture of you two. You are gorgeous, no need for make-up when you have natural beauty. It is so magical that he proposed to you when it was snowing. I also get so emotional when the song starts. Nothing quite like it.
I also love PINK EVERYTHING! LOL It is great that you get to pick the ring of your dreams!! I was reading about the store's promises that fell through and that has happened so many times to myself and friends. I am sorry that it didn't pan out, but also glad that you were able to pursue your degree and a field you were interested in. I can't wait to read more!!popcorn::

I just saw your posts on the rings! I :lovestruc both the 1st and 2nd rings you posted! So neat that you are incorporating PINK into your ring! I also never thought about where the diamonds come from, I am going to be a bit more picky now. I do like some of Tiffany's things, but they are super pricey. I also prefer their vintage items to most of the designs they have now. It is just fun to say that you have a Tiffany ring, it is classic. Whatever ring you chose will be a reflection of you and absolutely perfect!

It is so magical that he proposed to you when it was snowing. I also get so emotional when the song starts. Nothing quite like it.

THANK YOU, I think DF thinks I'm a little nutty because I get so emotional over it. I don't really know what comes over me ... it's Disneyland, Christmas, dreams, love, wishes, magic, all rolled up into one moment. No matter how many times I experience it I still get emotional. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I just saw your posts on the rings! I :lovestruc both the 1st and 2nd rings you posted! So neat that you are incorporating PINK into your ring! I also never thought about where the diamonds come from, I am going to be a bit more picky now. I do like some of Tiffany's things, but they are super pricey. I also prefer their vintage items to most of the designs they have now. It is just fun to say that you have a Tiffany ring, it is classic. Whatever ring you chose will be a reflection of you and absolutely perfect!

Thanks for your input. I was worried I would sound too preachy but the diamond conflict is something I read about a while back and it really stuck with me. And, I wouldn't dream of NOT having pink in my ring. :lovestruc But yeah, I really want the little blue box ... we shall see!! Thank you for reading.

I had to go to the mall today to pick up some Christmas gifts, so I thought to myself, why not do a little ring browsing??? :rolleyes1

My first stop was Zales, where I was greeted by a very nice sales lady. She showed me all the pink sapphire rings in my price range. I tried a few on but fell in love with this one:

5245067445_44fec54bd4_m.jpg

The side stones are slightly different, but the trio in the middle are the same. And the price is right, only $500-something! I asked if she could certify where the gem came from, and right away she said it was from Canada! :yay: She said she couldn't certify where the tiny diamonds were from, though. I tried on a couple man-made pink sapphires but they just didn't look very good. Not as clear and sparkly as the real thing.

Next I went to an independent store, with only two locations here in L.A. This was the only ring in my price range (sorry for the cruddy iphone pic, and they didn’t have any pics on their website):

5245067917_2c704c1fe7_m.jpg

I didn’t think I’d like the halo style but I actually really liked this one, and he said there was a matching wedding band that kind of fits with the main ring, so when worn together it looks like one big band. But, he couldn’t certify where the gems came from. Then he gave me a big speech about how all gems in the US are sold using the Kimberley Process because it’s the law, but no one can really guarantee anything, blah blah. :sad2: I know he’s a sales person but I didn’t quite care for his attitude, compared to the girl at Zales who seemed to be into the conflict-free thing, too. Anyway, this ring is around $1300 and the band is around $800. A good price PLUS I could get a band too, but I don’t think I’ll be getting this one.

I still have my heart set on Tiffany’s … I hope we can visit one soon. :lovestruc

I found your planning journal after following you from a post on mine.

I absolutely LOVE your pink mickey engagement ring!!! It is so gorgeous and so cool. I also love your other rings choices. I think any one of them will be amazing.

My DH didn't quit propose to me at Disneyland but we had just returned from a trip there when he did propose to me so i kind of feel like Disneyland is my real engagement spot. I can almost say that I was proposed to in Disneyland and married at Disney world. We are saving our honeymoon for later and are thinking of spending it in Disneyland.

Good luck with all of your planning!!!

Both the rings look awesome. Hard to see the second pic, but I think I get the idea. You should definitely take a trip to Tiffany's though to check things out. So busy for the holidays though. I think there is one in Glendale. I saw these and thought they looked similar to what you were looking for:

ring2.jpg
pinktiffanyring.jpg

I hope you get surprised and get the Tiffany ring you want!:cutie:

ring2.jpg

I hope you get surprised and get the Tiffany ring you want!:cutie:

Julie, are you psychic?????

When DF got home from work I cornered him and said, Got any plans tonight??????? First I buttered him up by giving him his Christmas present, Apple TV (the real reason I went to the mall today). Then I told him about my ring browsing and said I really wanted to check out Tiffany's before making any final decision. I suggested we go to the Tiffany's in Woodland Hills and then get dinner at BJ's Brewery. I used to live there so we are familiar with the area. Well, he was excited at the idea of BJs pizza so he said, Let's go!!

We get to Tiffany's and I told them I was looking for pink sapphire and told them my budget. I looked at 3 or 4 rings. Then I asked to look at the one above, even though it was over our budget. They didn't have it with the pink but I tried on the one with just diamonds and I fell in absolute love. :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

We stepped outside and talked about it, and DF said if that's the one I love then that's the one we should get. :cloud9: It's all coming out of our total budget anyway, so later on down the line when I can't afford Cinderalla's Coach, I'll look at my ring and remember why, lol.

They are ordering the pink and diamond one in my size and it should be ready in about a week. :lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc

I found your planning journal after following you from a post on mine.

I absolutely LOVE your pink mickey engagement ring!!! It is so gorgeous and so cool. I also love your other rings choices. I think any one of them will be amazing.

My DH didn't quit propose to me at Disneyland but we had just returned from a trip there when he did propose to me so i kind of feel like Disneyland is my real engagement spot. I can almost say that I was proposed to in Disneyland and married at Disney world. We are saving our honeymoon for later and are thinking of spending it in Disneyland.

Good luck with all of your planning!!!

Thank you so much, Deb! :goodvibes Disneyland gives everyone that magical feeling, doesn't it??? :cutie:

We haven’t done any wedding planning yet but I have been looking at rings. I really want a Tiffany’s ring but they are so expensive. There is a website called Brilliant Earth that also has beautiful rings and they are mined from Canada so they are conflict-free. That is something that is very important to me. I want to know that the gems in my ring were mined and traded legally and no one was harmed or killed during the process. I know there’s no way to guarantee this, but both Tiffany’s and Brilliant Earth have pledges on their websites so it puts me at ease. I haven’t been able to find this pledge on any other jewelry site.

Anyway, here are some of the ones I like:

5243371068_17eed3fc29_m.jpg

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Sapphire-Tiara-Ring-Platinum-BE150BD12R8-SP6RD/

I love this ring the most but it is a teensy bit over budget.

5242776919_dc024c8c25_m.jpg

This is second choice but it would have to be custom made so I’m not sure of the price. A similar ring with blue sapphires is $1,600, which would be within budget.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Three...apphire-Trellis-Ring-Platinum-BE503TS2R4-502/

Here are my favorites from Tiffany’s. Unfortunately I cannot save pics off their site.

#1 choice (overbudget, do you see a pattern here? :laughing:): http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+pink+ring&search=1

#2 choice: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/ite...6-ri+-ni+1-t&selectedsku=19557928&mcat=148204

#3 choice: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/ite...6-ri+-ni+1-t&selectedsku=19235076&mcat=148204

I really like the Brilliant Earth ones but I’m nervous since I can’t try them on. DF said we can go to Tiffany’s and try on the rings I like and rings similar to the ones on BE and then go from there.

What does everyone think?

I think that’s a good enough start for tonight. I look forward to chatting with all of you and sharing opinions and ideas.

OMG!!!! I love, love, love all your ring choices! We had our wedding bands custom made because I couldn't find something I liked; mine has a pink sapphire chip in the center with two diamond chips on the sides (DF got me a Tiffany heart necklace with a pink sapphire for Halloween last year, and I've been obsessed with them since; we are weird and don't give big gifts for normal holidays). We went back and forth about having the custom bands done; DF was all for it, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money (this is strange because he's a bit thrifty and budget is the last thing that usually crosses my mind). However, his reasoning was that the rings were definitely worth splurging on. They are something that we will wear and look at every day, so they better be special. Can you skimp somewhere else to up your budget to get your first choice?

OMG!!!! I love, love, love all your ring choices! We had our wedding bands custom made because I couldn't find something I liked; mine has a pink sapphire chip in the center with two diamond chips on the sides (DF got me a Tiffany heart necklace with a pink sapphire for Halloween last year, and I've been obsessed with them since; we are weird and don't give big gifts for normal holidays). We went back and forth about having the custom bands done; DF was all for it, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money (this is strange because he's a bit thrifty and budget is the last thing that usually crosses my mind). However, his reasoning was that the rings were definitely worth splurging on. They are something that we will wear and look at every day, so they better be special. Can you skimp somewhere else to up your budget to get your first choice?

Hi Geek! Thank you! I actually commented on your ring on the ring thread a few weeks ago; I asked you where you got it and you told me it was custom made. I wasn't getting married at the time but I've always known I wanted pink in my ring. :cutie: My DF says the same thing as yours, he said since it's the one thing from this wedding that will last (besides the marriage itself and the pictures), it's worth spending the money on and I shouldn't settle. I got the ring posted in Post #13, can you see it?? :confused: I fell in love with it before it was even all the way on my finger :laughing:

Mindy!!! I am so excited for you, soooo glad you got the ring of your dreams complete with little blue box!! ;) I can't believe you will have it in a week. I can't wait to see pics of it on your finger!! I am sure by the time you get to the wedding you will be able to get the carriage too. You are right though the ring and the photos are what lasts. I :lovestruc BJs and my Mom's bf lives in Woodland Hills so I know exactly where you were talking about! The giftie you got your man sounds amazing! (and thoughtful)

We are past the point of trying to surprise each other with gifts. I asked for a new camera and he asked for Apple TV, and that's what we got each other. :laughing:

When they told me they had to ship my ring because they didn't have it in stock, I asked if it was mailed with the blue bag and box?????? Because that is the best part! The salesman said yes!! :yay:

I received notification today that the ring has shipped! I figured they would ship it from the closest store that had it in stock, but it looks like it's coming from the NYC flagship store. It is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday. :banana:

I've been thinking about wedding colors, not just the last couple of weeks but for years. :laughing: Of course there has to be pink :lovestruc so the question is the complimentary color(s). I always thought my preference would be pink and Tiffany blue, but a friend of mine did similar colors last year and I would hate for her to think I copied her. Lately I've been thinking about fuchsia and bright orange.

Well yesterday, on Martha Stewart Weddings twitter feed, I saw this post:

"Pantone announced their top 10 colors of 2011. Are you using any of them in your palette? http://ow.ly/3n8ZD"

And here's the website:

5253315276_390e1daedd_o.jpg

Look at the first two colors!!!!! Honeysuckle and Coral Rose, haha. Sounds so fancy but I believe these are my tentative colors! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter