Mince Pie In The Sky - A Hopeful Pre-trip Report

I will definitely post a picture. She's already gotten back to me and we're trying to figure out the jewels. In my quote request I had mentioned that I admired friend from the U.K.s jewelry, she guessed immediately that it was you. She said she has a lot of fun making your pieces :)

I am not surprised she knew straightaway who you were talking about. I must be one of her best customers and most certainly the best customer outside the USA. What jewels are you leaning towards?

Corinna

I am not surprised she knew straightaway who you were talking about. I must be one of her best customers and most certainly the best customer outside the USA. What jewels are you leaning towards?

Corinna

I had originally asked her to pick the colors but when she came back with pink tourmaline and labradorite I realized those were a bit darker than what I was thinking. I asked for some little pearls and hopefully she'll think of some others that match. I can't wait, it's going to be gorgeous no matter what. I asked for light, feminine, and whimsical.

I had originally asked her to pick the colors but when she came back with pink tourmaline and labradorite I realized those were a bit darker than what I was thinking. I asked for some little pearls and hopefully she'll think of some others that match. I can't wait, it's going to be gorgeous no matter what. I asked for light, feminine, and whimsical.

Oh, would love this combination. Labradorite has quickly become a firm favourite of mine. I just love how it changes depending on how the light falls on it. I think rosequarz and moonstone would go lovely with pearls or even rosequarz and some of the light coloured emerald that she has.

Corinna

I have now finished pre-typing my trip report so I can give this my undivided attention.

Corinna

Aquatica

On every trip that we take, I try to do something for the first time. On the whole this will not be this kind of trip this time round as this is really all about going back to my old haunts. However, there is one thing that I planning to do this time round that I have never done before and this is a visit to Aquatica.

When I last stayed on International Drive in 2007, this was still under construction. Indeed, from the walkway outside our room, I could see the construction. At that stage I promised myself that I would visit this as soon as it opened. Somehow this never happened. When we came DVC members, we started staying onsite and my focus shifted to Disney. We went back to SeaWorld and Discovery Cove the first couple of years, but never made it to Aquatica. Part of the reason for this is that at that point, the Discovery Cove admission included a choice of SeaWorld, Aquatica or Busch Gardens. You could also have all three, but this was more expensive. So both years, SeaWorld won over Aquatica. Now the Discovery Cove admission includes both Aquatica and SeaWorld so I will finally get to see this.

I am not exactly a hero when it comes to slides and tend to stick to the pools and the lazy rivers. At Aquatica there should be plenty for me to do. They have two wave pools and two lazy rivers. Loggerhead Lane is a traditional lazy river, but it passes through two animal habitats including the Comerson's Dolphin habitat. Roa's Rapids does sound a bit like the lazy river at Aquaventure with rapids. The main difference seems to be that there are no inner tubes.

There is one slide that I have to try though and this is the signature ride Dolphin Plunge, which dives under water and through the Comerson's Dolphin habitat. I have the feeling that this is really a bit too thrilling for me, but this is one of the things that I just have to do once to get it out of my system. We are probably only going to spend about half a day there and then spend the afternoon enjoying some of the smaller attractions on International Drive.

Corinna

Oh, would love this combination. Labradorite has quickly become a firm favourite of mine. I just love how it changes depending on how the light falls on it. I think rosequarz and moonstone would go lovely with pearls or even rosequarz and some of the light coloured emerald that she has.

Corinna

She's waiting on a shipment of supplies and will then send me some pictures of different combinations. I'm excited.

We went to Aquatica a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I loved the rapids :)

This is the part of Aquatica I am looking forward to the most. Whenever we go to Dubai, we end up at Aquaventure at the Atlantis and I could happily spend all day in their rapids. I don't think the ones at Aquatica are on the same scale, but still sound like fun.

Corinna

I am slowly getting caught up on people's TRs and PTRs. This one was much less daunting than you TR!

I can't believe that they took out one of the staircases in the atrium. It looks so lopsided! Carioca's looks nice. I was never a big fan of Parrot Cay, so that should be a nice change for me.

I love the Christmas colored dress! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Aquatica sounds like fun. Sometime, we need to do a trip to Orlando when we aren't so Disney focused and get to Discovery Cove and Aquatica. I would really like to do those two one day.

Now I'll have to get caught up on your TR!

I am slowly getting caught up on people's TRs and PTRs. This one was much less daunting than you TR!

I can't believe that they took out one of the staircases in the atrium. It looks so lopsided! Carioca's looks nice. I was never a big fan of Parrot Cay, so that should be a nice change for me.

I love the Christmas colored dress! I can't wait to see your pictures!

Aquatica sounds like fun. Sometime, we need to do a trip to Orlando when we aren't so Disney focused and get to Discovery Cove and Aquatica. I would really like to do those two one day.

Now I'll have to get caught up on your TR!

I am taking this one nice and slow. I spent every spare minute since I came back from my trip in June on my trip report. This is now all pre-typed and most of the installments that are still to come had the photos added. For the time being I am enjoying reading on my commute. I also have to make this last until December.

The changes to the Magic have not been made yet. She will go into dry dock next month and this is when all those changes are made. Maybe it is OK when you see it in person, but I was quite shocked about some of those changes.

I am hoping that I have the dress by the end of the month. I am getting a touch impatient. I so want to see how it has turned out.

Discovery Cove is amazing. I will post a bit more about this sometime next week. I would definitely recommend a visit there.

Corinna

Dressing for Dinner (and Brunch)

Having a day off, nothing planned other than a trip to the supermarket and feeling slightly under the weather is a dangerous combination. The next thing is usually some serious window shopping online. Still, as it is Ebay and some serious bargains that we are talking about, there is no harm in it.

My first three cruises, I did not really dress up for dinner with the exception of Formal Night and by the third cruise Semi Formal Night and Pirate Night. I am afraid my typical dinner outfit was a Disney t shirt, a pair of black trousers and usually a pair of Crocs. Our fourth cruise was our Med cruise. If everything had gone according to plan, we would have flown on a low cost carrier so luggage space was somewhat limited and indeed, this is how we came back. It did not take me long to figure out that dresses weigh less than t shirts and trousers. So I started to get changed for dinner and realized very quickly that I actually really enjoyed doing so. I have not looked back since. Of course, the dresses look nice in the photos, too.

This is the most understated one of this bunch and I think this would work really well for Palo Brunch.

This is a bit more formal and elaborate than the others and I figure this would be perfect for the rotational dinner at Lumiere's as this is the most formal of the main dining rooms on the Magic.

When I saw this, it just said Cariocas to me. I think this will fit right in with the predominantly white background and the bright flashes of colour.

This dress immediately said Animator's Palate to me.

By process of elimination, I will probably wear this dress on the last night.

eBay can definitely be dangerous! All are very pretty but I have to say the green polka dots is my favorites, I love polka dots.

Those dresses are really cute. They have a really 50's vibe.

Jill in CO

eBay can definitely be dangerous! All are very pretty but I have to say the green polka dots is my favorites, I love polka dots.

Yes, I can be. Still, all 5 dresses together cost about the same that I would pay locally for 2 dresses.

Those dresses are really cute. They have a really 50's vibe.

Jill in CO

That is what they are being marketed as :thumbsup2

Corinna

There Be Pirates

Even though I am not a big fan of the Pirate Night dinner or the Pirate party, there are still elements of the Pirate Night on the ships that I love. We both enjoy the Pirate Trivia and make a point of doing this whenever possible on our cruises. I also love all the special character meet and greets and photo opportunities that come with Pirate Night.

Last, but not least, I enjoy dressing up as a pirate. There are not that many occasions when I can dress up. This has turned out to be both a blessing and a curse. Since 2009, I have tried to put together a Pirate costume that I am happy with. This is still work in progress. My main problem is that there really is not a lot commercially available as far as Pirate costumes for women go and what there is seems to be far too revealing for my taste. So I have experimented with various costume ideas.

It all started out easy. My concession to Pirate Night was a pirates themed t-shirt. I tried to supplement this with the bandana we were given at dinner, but this was so small that it would not stay on.

The next stage was a bit more elaborate with a long skirt, peasant blouse, corset, a lace shawl and a bandana.

A variation on this theme.

For the Hawaii cruise, I found a red and black dress that said pirate to me and teamed this up with tricorn and a belly dancing belt with lots of gold coins.

For the last cruise where we had a pirate night, I had a mini tricorn made by a local milliner. Unfortunately the rest of the costume came apart. When I packed for this trip, I could not find the belt anywhere. I figured that this was not a big deal. When I got changed, I realized that I had brought the wrong dress as I have one in burgundy and one in red and this one was missing the ribbon to lace the back up. Fortunately I had brought my burgundy evening for Palo and I just ended up wearing this with my tricorn and my Pirate necklace and called it Pirate Princess. Even though it did not look very piratey at all, this was actually the closest that I came to my vision of a perfect pirate costume.

I had always planned to go back to the Pirate costume that I was wearing on our Hawaiian cruise with the black and red dress and the belt, but with the mini tricorn. Then I came across this beauty while window-shopping online a few days ago. This just screams pirate at me with the boned corset top and the slightly rugged and messy skirt. Initially I was leaning towards crimson and black, but at the moment I am actually thinking that teal and black would be lovely and the red and gold accessories would form a lovely contrast against this. What do you guys think?

I was always going to add something new to the costume. I have worn a variety of jewellery with my pirate costumes, most of which was based on the medallion from Pirates of the Caribbean. However, none of the jewellery ever had the wow factor that I was looking for. A couple of month ago, I spotted a mixed media pendant on the website of my favourite jewellery where she wove some fabric around the wirework. When I first saw this pendant, I thought that this style would make a great pirate necklace. I managed to find this pirate medallion, which is better quality than the ones I had previously. The idea is that this will hang from a simple wire necklace with some fabric and maybe some synthetic suede woven through.

I love the dress, but I think red and black is a bit more piratey. But I can't envision the teal and black. Everything you get looks fabulous though, get what you really want. That pendant is absolutely perfect!

I think both options would work :thumbsup2 IMO though I think the crimson would be more piratey:yay:

Can't wait to see the finished dresses :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter