Military rate policy change.....

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kcashner, Oct 22, 2012.

1. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Just got a post stating that the DCL policy re military rates have changed. The rates are now available to military OR spouse, so that if military member is deployed, spouse can cruise! In the past, the military person HAD to be on the ship. No longer. Up to 3 staterooms can be booked, qualifying military person OR spouse must be on the cruise.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

YES!!!! :yay::yay:

The chances of me cruising without DH are small, but they are there. Thank you for sharing this happy news!

4. sinnika

sinnika DIS Veteran

What if they are retired? DH is retired military but has a private practice so can't cruise as readily as I can! :)

5. bahacca

bahacca Mouseketeer

I'm not military, but am grateful to all of those who served(have served). I am happy to see that Disney realizes that families still need vacations even if a loved one is deployed.:thumbsup2

6. DisneyOHFan

DisneyOHFan Livin' for Disney

I 2nd that!

7. collectoraholic

collectoraholic Is it time to sail yet?

I agree! :thumbsup2

To all the military personnel & their families, I thank you for your service. :goodvibes

8. Woodmnky

Woodmnky DIS Veteran

I completely agree with this as well.

I would like to see Disney open their rates up to disabled veterans as well. It is a shame that many people have suffered injuries as a result of their military service (and thus are no longer in the military), but are not offered the same priviledges as those currently serving.

9. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

From DisneyCruise.com:
    http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-rates/

10. bkjewett

bkjewett Earning My Ears

This is great! My husband is returning from Afghanistan this week and we are taking the kids on the fantasy to celebrate next month. Next time he deploys I may consider just taking the kids!

11. keishashadow

keishashadow Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!

100% agree. I don't understand why they don't also extend it to those who were honorably discharged and hold a DD214 (ala CCL, NCL, RCCL etc.). Even if it wasn't the same discount as active military receives, anything would be appreciated.

12. MagicMe

MagicMe DIS Veteran

I'm glad to see that they have extended military pricing to spouses too! Seriously people, the families are as much in the service as their deployed spouses. True the military member is putting his life in danger but these famlies spend long periods of time separated and raising their families comletely by themselves and deal with the stress of having a loved one deployed. Life is far from a bowl of cherries for them and they deserve a get away when they can. Kudos to DCL.

13. alaskanabbott

alaskanabbott DIS Veteran

Now let's hope they change the policy back to not penalizing for changing a regular reservation rate to military rate, after the 75 day mark, like they do for Florida residents. Military should get the same benifit :)

14. IBelieveInTheMagic

IBelieveInTheMagic DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing kcashner!! ;)

You know, I didn't realize this had changed, for the better until just recently! :thumbsup2

I had vaguely heard of the military rates but never really thought about until I saw the great rates and wanted to take my Mom. I'm a military brat myself but of course I don't qualify. My step father is retired military (as is my Dad) and I assumed he would have to travel with my my mom and I since he was the retired military member but then I read on the disney site it clearly said *or spouses*. My mom has a military ID card so I called and confirmed I could book it, pay for it and get the awesome military rate and treat my Mom to a great time!! :cool1: I booked us about 9 days ago for the 12/8 Fantasy sailing and we are so excited - we haven't done a trip with just the two of us in over 20 years! :goodvibes

I now understand why the CM's and Costco said they recently changed some things. I was told we didn't need to fax in her Id card and that was required in the past. I made it very clear my step dad would not be traveling with us and its no problem. She just needs to show her ID card when we check in.

I hope others are able to take advantage of this great opportunity! :goodvibes

Heather

15. jedijill

jedijill <font color=red>Chiefs fan living in Bronco countr

:thumbsup2

Jill in CO

16. jedijill

Or HER life. ;)

Lots of women proudly serving or have served as well.

Jill in CO

17. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

It should include medically retired personnel as well. I really don't know how they determine who is medically retired and who is medically separated though.

18. jedijill

Medically retired would have a retirement ID card and be treated like a regular retiree (per my understanding.) The DD214 would have any other info on it.

Jill in CO

19. sissy_ib

sissy_ib DIS Veteran

Sorry, what I meant was I don't know how the military determines to medically retire someone or just medically separate them. I just have a regular honorable discharge. I don't think I even know anyone who was medically separated. I do have a friend who gets disability, but she was not discharged for her disability. (It's not combat related either)

20. jedijill

Gotcha. :)

Here is a good article.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/medseparation.htm

I am honorably discharged but have a disability rating due to my military service. Process is the same no matter how the disability occurred.

Jill in CO

21. Betsy82

Betsy82 Mouseketeer

Don't some 100% Vets have an ID card that effectively says retired?

That was my understanding of things. So if true, wouldn't they be eligible?

I have a friend 100% but he hasn't gotten his card yet. No reason for him to have it here so he hasn't made the drive yet...