Mikka + Redwitch's F&W craziness: food, drink, and as always, pictures! Updated 4/12: teppen edo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to follow along. I love the report so far. It's 8pm and I'm wishing I had some chocolate waffles in front of me!

Welcome and no worries about tardiness. She's barely on day two. (BTW - I really enjoy your reviews!)

Every November, Mikka does the NaNoWriMo challenge. It is hard to tear her away from that writing to do this writing. Yes, writing is her passion.

I think that's awesome - the writing, that is. Finding a passion and being able to enjoy it is a wonderful thing!

Looking forward to more when time allows :)

What!? I'm at the end already?? Mikka how dare you leave us hanging like this! In all seriousness loving your reviews, I generally just click on the links of restaurants we are planning on visiting on our next trip but your writing style has me reading every one. Can't wait to hear what's up next.

Eeep! I'm sorry!

You people are making me feel guilty, but you rightly should! I did leave everyone hanging again, didn't I? In truth, November was a bad month for me. Stuff happened, and I was writing the whole month (I successfully made my word count, but only just). I have no real excuse for December, though, besides a 'Well, it was the holidays?', which is a pretty bad excuse. However, New Years brings with it freedom and resolutions, and I vow to get this dining review finished. As long as I do before mid-month, I shouldn't run in to the limit of three months on finishing these things.

So, to be blunt: I am very sorry for abandoning you all and this food report, but I'm going to finish it. I know most of the stuff we ate will probably be changed up, but I hope this can at least give some guidance on what is good and not, and at least the non-signature restaurants don't change their menus that often so some of what we ate should still be on there. If nothing else, some of the stuff will hopefully be back next fall, so that works as a guidance, perhaps.

Anyway, I can sit here and apologize forever... or I can update quickly. I don't think I can reply to everyone who has posted between when I last posted and now, but I really appreciate all your posts, and from now on, I'll definitely try to reply ASAP to posts made in the thread. Again, I'm sorry for disappearing and leaving this unfinished!

TOKYO DINING CULINARY DEMONSTRATION & DEEP EDDY VODKA MIXOLOGY DEMONSTRATION

I think size five was the size I used. Hm.

Anyway, if you go back, you'll remember we got up early and zoomed over to Captain's Grill. What I didn't mention is that we were able to basically walk on the rides we wanted to, which left us waiting somewhat impatiently for our Soaring fastpass. As we had the time, we went in to the F&W headquarter building (you know, where that cool simulator where you went through the body once was) and goofed off for a bit. We saw some deminars that weren't taken, and decided to do them, as the Tokyo Dining experience wasn't till around three or four (I can't quite remember) in the afternoon. Then we did Soarin' and the rides over on the other side of the park, stopped at the Chew Booth so we had something in our belly's, and headed back to headquarters.

This actually turned out quite funny. It turned out that the culinary demonstration item was an item that was going to be served at the Tokyo Dining F&W event we were about to go to later that afternoon. We were all 'Oh no!', but- well, it turned out for the good. But let me start at the beginning.

Here is you-know-who. She actually wasn't that obnoxious this time, as our chef seemed to be a bit of a quiet sort and thus she gave him prompts to work with- and I think it was early enough that she hadn't gotten too much drink in her. Still, her constant plugging of the festival wine was a bit irritating, as was her constant mistaking the chef as being Japanese (he's from Taiwan): she would constantly do a "So where you're from, you guys (do this)?" and he would politely answer with "In Japan, they (do this)" but she never seemed to catch on. Sigh.

More happily, this is Aphisek Yongsirikun. We met him later at the F&W event, too. A chef over at Tokyo Dining, he was cheerful and friendly, if I think maybe prone to not constantly talking if on his own. He explained everything rather well, and also gave out a lot of tips on how exactly to cook the item at home, something some chefs I've found seem to neglect despite that being what the recipe card is for. He also told us about cooking in Japan, including the belief that one should wash your rice 3 times, knead it, and soak it for at least 20 minutes in water before rinsing it again. Mom and I only wash our rice once...

The item cooked today was Beef Sukiyaki Don and Warishita Soup. Unlike what that title sounds, there was no liquid involved in the serving, just the making. Basically, you combine wet ingredients, add meat, veggies and noodles in this soup mixture, cook for a bit, turn the ingredients upside and cook some more, then take the meat, veggies and noodles out and serve them on top of a dish of rice. The reason the soup broth isn't used is... well, it's made with soy sauce, sugar, sake, water, mirin and that hondashi (fish stock- dried kelp and bonito). It's salty as all get out: it's for marinating with, not for drinking.

Here's a picture of the chef cutting up vegtables, and then the food being cooked in the stock twice...

And then here's the actual food. :)

(Note: we were served the Festival Cabrenet Sauvignon, from Paso Robles California with this. We forgot to get a picture of it, though. It was an okay wine: maybe a bit better then okay. I'm not sure who exactly makes it, but I didn't have any complaints about the wine itself, though it didn't stand out enough to have distinguishing features worth really discussing. This meal would have went much better with sake, though... or, I must grudgingly admit, a good Japanese beer. Heck, even vodka would have been better (though I assume some people would have a problem with straight vodka or tequila being served with a Japanese meal...). This was a very salty dish, and the red just didn't pair that great with it: it wasn't able to stand up to it.)

As for the food- well, I told you what was in the soup broth. Then we have ribeye beef, udon noodles, tofu (that's what the carrots are on), napa cabbage, cute star shaped carrots, green onion, shiitake mushrooms and the rice hidden underneath this all. I thought, all together, that it was delicious (though let's just say it can get even better). It also looks like it is very easy to make (along with a very small cooking time- heat the soup (but not to boil), cook for 2 minutes, uncover and turn over for 2 minutes, it's ready to eat. The longest part would be cooking the white rice. I forgot about this, but I think mom and I should try making it. We'd have to go to an Asian market to find the hondashi, though. Maybe the mirnin, too. Silly small towns.

Oh, and he signed the sheet I didn't take notes all over. Nice. :D

Now space, space, space, as we zoomed over to the wine and mixology area. It was right after the cooking demonstration, but the cooking demonstration ran a bit long. Mostly because of what's her face talking in the beginning.

This was the presenter for the Deep Eddy Vodka, Michaela Stamm. I like her name. ;P She was cheerful and friendly as well, and also a good speaker who didn't have to put up with a silly presenter getting in her way. Deep Eddy, as you may know, makes vodka- their famous one is the Ruby Red (grapefruit), but they also have Cranberry (made from Ocean spray cranberries), Lemon (from meyer lemon), and Sweet Tea (made with whole leaf Indonisan tea- there is caffeine in it!). Oh, and I think they have an unflavored one. Their vodka is made with corn, and they basically took the USA by storm: starting off as a small little distillery, they were nation wide in an incredible amount of time, and won some sort of award or something for being the most successful at expanding or blah blah blah, I don't know.

(Yeah, looks like there's an unflavored one, there.)

We'd tried their cranberry before, and found it decent enough (cranberry vodka is hard to find!), but maybe a bit too harsh for regular drinking, but that was years ago. Today, we tried...

...I think these are actually out of order to my sheet. Anyway, one was just the Ruby Red, having been shaken with ice but then given straight. Then there was the 'Ruby Mule'- the Ruby Red with mint syrup, lime juice, and Fever Tree Ginger Beer. Finally, the Austin Palmer (which I think is number one, by the color)- the Sweet Tea with lemonade (or maybe it's the Mule? In any case, it's supposed to be the straight Ruby Red, but that's clearly two).

I'm not a huge fan of grapefruit, so the Ruby Red on its own wasn't that great to me (having said that, I still drank it all). Despite that and also not being that fond of mint, though, the Ruby Mule was in my opinion quite good. I wouldn't have thought making a mule with grapefruit flavored vodka, but it worked quite nicely (I believe that was mom's favorite). My personal favorite was the Austin Palmer, though. Not being from the south, I'm sort of indifferent to sweet tea (I've maybe tried it once?- mom doesn't like it), but I think I'd like to try this vodka straight. I'm really interested in the lemon one, though. Meyer lemon? Mmm.

So, in summary, this actually succeeded in making more eager to try Deep Eddy vodka. Hurrah for marketing!

And, er, that's it. But I promise I'm not going to get behind like that again. Expect one post every two days, at the very least, if not more. :)

And thank you to all of you who kept poking and prodding and posting and trying to encourage me to keep doing this. These posts are dedicated to you guys. :P Thank you so much!

YAY a Mikka update :-)

I'm such a fan of this type of marketing. That mixology looks good. I did one on blue chair rum so that one worked on me too.

YAY a Mikka update :-)

I'm such a fan of this type of marketing. That mixology looks good. I did one on blue chair rum so that one worked on me too.

Thank you for still hanging out here! :) Blue Chair Rum, hm, I had to look that up... I'd never heard of it. And now I want to try the Coconut Spiced Cream version. That sounds delicious.

So, Happy New Year, everyone, by the way. I forgot to say that yesterday. Hope everyone was safe and happy for their celebration. :)

So, after the Deep Eddy demonstration, it was, well, hot. So we just sort of wandered over to Japan and hung around in their lobby till the event started. As it was a slow time for meals, no one seemed to mind. These days, they're calling this the...

JAPANESE FOOD AND WINE PAIRING LUNCHEON

(Or something like that.)

...But here's a hint: there's no wine involved.

If you've read previous threads I've made, you'll know that mom and I love this event. I think this is the third or fourth year in a row we've went. This year, though, the price jumped up immensely: it went from being a fifty or so dollar experience to more like a hundred. We seriously discussed did we still want to do it, but in the end, our love for Japanese food won out (so much that we did two Japanese pairings, at that- we did the Teppen Edo habachi one, too). And, honestly? The quality of food went up amazingly. It was always good, but this year it was crazy delicious, and probably in my opinion even better then the habachi meal (which was still lovely). It was one of my favorite meals we had. You could see that the price had changed things, though: other years we've went, all the tables in the center area with the sushi bar have been full. This year, I think there were only three or four tables. I suppose it made for a more intimate experience, though, and more time to bug Gavin (or is it Garin- I swear his nametag says the first, but if you look him up online it's the second), who still recgonized us from the years before. Hee. Oddly, though, we didn't get a picture with him this year. Hm.

Oh, and we had the lucky experience of being there on October 1st, which is Sake day. Woo!

Place setting with the usual pretty folded napkin, water, chopsticks folded cranes, and the sake information card. If you click the picture and zoom in, you might be able to read it. It has the Japanese name of the sake, the translation, the type of sake, the SMV (sake meter value- negative is sweet, positive is dry, water is 0), and the kura- basically, the producer or brewery. (The word kura is really hard to read for some reason.) We were to be served a three course meal (paired with three sakes), though a dessert sake and a little apetizer was also included. Sake, save for the dessert sake, was basically unlimited- they just kept coming around and pouring.

You are seated at a table of four, so that was two strangers for us, but we all warmed up to each other quickly. They were an older couple who enjoyed F&W events, and we discussed ones we had been to and ones we were going to. They were very friendly, and it was up there with that French regional lunch of a few years ago in awesome tablemates for a food and wine event.

The appetizer course included a beer (or ale, rather): Tama no Megumi, a 'Tokyo craft beer' according to my information sheet. In this case, they're using it to mean to 'Blessing of Tama', which I assume is the region they got their water or hops or something from. :P We didn't get too much information on the beer: looking online, I'm finding various experts all using different terms to describe the smell and taste. My opinion? Smelled like beer, tasted like beer, but as far as me and beer goes, it was a drinkable beer (an American Pale Ale, if anyone was wondering). It was very, uh, beerish. ...Yeah, that's really all I can say. It wasn't bad. It was one of the beers that was to be featured at the craft beer in Japan event that they had this year, so I suppose it was a good one?

More interesting to me is the appetizer: Asari Clam Tsukudani. Asari clams are, well, a type of clams- native to China, but they're now found on the west cost of the USA and Canada, too. Tsukudani is the method of preperation: simmering the meat/seafood in soy sauce and mirin (mirin is basically a cooking sake- tends to be slightly sweet, and often goes with soy sauce). This made for very salty-sweet little strips of delicious clam. It isn't that appetizing looking, no, but it was delicious tasting.

(Note: everything we ate was delicious. I will likely be using that word a lot.)

The first sake, served in the 'horse-riding cups'. These glasses were originally designed so the samurai class could drink their sake on horseback without spilling it. I assume they were still riding pretty slowly, though. This was a Junmai Ginjyo, which is called the most pure sake: rice, water, and koji (the yeast/mold that ferments it), with nothing else, with the rice heavily polished (though as this was a sweet sake, it was only polished as much as it needed to be to fit in to the catagory). This particular one was Hanakizakura, out of Kyoto and made by Kizakura. This brand I know I can find here in PA, though I've never seen this paticular sake before. The koji is made from cherry blossom flowers, and this sake truly does have a lovely floral smell. It's lightly sweet (it was actually sweeter in SMV then the dessert sake) and had a bit of a fruit notes. It would be a lovely summer sake.

First course: sushi! In paticular, Japanese style sushi.

This is something I feel like I have to explain on the boards every few months, when someone throws a fit about how Tokyo Dining doesn't have a good selection of rolls (or Morimoto's, or even Kimono's (which does have a pretty big Western selection) or wherever). In Japan? Rolls are like the one on the left. An item- cucumber, beef, fish- wrapped in rice, wrapped in seaweed. Not five items wrapped on seaweed deep fried with roe and then a shrimp stuck on top just for the hey of it. Minimalistic is better, and they want you to be able to taste each individual item. Rolls- such as the famed California roll- were almost all invented in America (and Canada, and occasionally Europe) to get foreigners to try raw fish when they wouldn't before. Out of the top 100 sushi items ordered in Japan, the only Western-style roll that makes the list is the California roll. Do you like rolls? Great, I do too! (Mom loves them, in fact.) But if a restaurant is at least trying to be authentic Japanese, their sushi list is more apt to be simple fish on rice (or without it) then a list of various rolls, as that's what's commonly eaten in Japan (my Japanese friend, in fact, refers to eating rolls as 'Eating American', similar to getting burgers). So please people, stop complaining about restaurants trying to be somewhat-authentic not having western style rolls, because then they might get rid of the authentic stuff to put the stuff you can get at any generic Asian Fusion place in the world on the menu. ;_;

Sorry for the rant, but I am passionate about that subject. :P

So, here is the traditional (Edo-style) sushi. Starting from the left, that's beef filet in the roll. Then we have tuna: it wasn't toro, but I believe it was blue fin. Then jack mackerel (done with some salt and vinegar), shrimp from Japan (tastes different then shrimp from around here), Japanese saltwater eel (tastes very different then the eel you usually get in the US), and then a pickled daikon radish, fresh real ginger, and soy sauce. You can see there's a little dab of wasabi on the tuna and mackerel: that's traditional, where the sushi chef will usually add as much wasabi (and soy sauce) as he or she feels the fish needs. Let's just say none of the items on the plate needed the soy sauce on the side (though it was nice to have): all were done perfectly, and were extremely flavorful on their own. Tuna, for instance, can be very bland: but this was good tuna. Everything was, guess what? Delicious!

The real stand out was that pickled radish, though. That radish was great. (Mom also loved the ginger.)

Second course brought it's interesting little deal. A box cup of sake, and... salt!

First, I still haven't quite mastered drinking out of the box. The corner is the easiest place, but it still seems hard. I have to keep trying with that. This was Jun Tenzan Junmai sake from Saga, which was very neutral, rating at +1 on the SMV (again, water is 0). Not dry or sweet, it actually had a bit of a sourness- sort of citrusy, perhaps. Tasty, though.

The salt? There was yuzu (that's a type of Japanese lemon, basically) salt, green tea salt, and wasabi salt. Technically, my sheet says it was wasabi, yuzu, and green tea, but there's no way the bright green salt was yuzu. I think it was the green tea, though it could have been the wasabi (wasabi isn't really naturally that bright of a green, but it's so expected basically everyone colors it). They all tasted- well, exactly how you would expect them to taste. The wasabi salt was spicy, the yuzu salt was sour, and the green tea was lighter, and maybe a teensy bit sweet.

The salt was designed for...

This! Tempura! Deep fried kisu-fish (smelt), scallop, kobatcha (pumpkin), shishito pepper, and, oh yes, LOBSTER. What one did was choose one's salt of choice, and rub it on the tempura and eat. It was awesome. My favorite course by far, because coming up with combinations was incredibly fun. Almost everything tasted good on everything else. Green tea and pepper? Sure! Wasabi and lobster? Great! Yuzu and pumpkin? Awesome! Gavin (have I mentioned that he's an awesome presenter?- because he is!) gave us some suggestions, but we were encouraged to make things up and try everything with everything. It was a lot of fun.

But that wasn't even the full course!

(We were encouraged not to eat the sticks. You know. Just in case.)

Part two of the course was Sarashina Buck Wheat Soba (that's the noodles) and duck breast with wasabi and hari-nori (that's needle roasted seaweed, on the top). In this case, I even liked the seaweed, despite not usually being a big fan. The noodles and duck were amazing, though, and a bit of wasabi brightened them up (though they certainly didn't need it). Putting this with the tempura, this might have been my favorite course of everything I ate the whole vacation. Duck, lobster, scallops, pumpkin, fish, pepper, noodles, and tons of salt? I'm game. I'm very game.

Next course, though, would have it's own charms...

As they brought this around for us to oooo and ahhh over. You know what that is? Wagyu beef. You know what wagyu beef is? The best thing ever, clearly.

In the background as we finished course two, we could see (and smell!) the chef cooking the third course... sukiyaki. The same thing we had at the demonstration. But this would be a very different sort of sukiyaki.

First, though, sake, served in the more traditional cup. This was Karatamba Tarekuchi, a Honjozo from Hyogo, and by far the hardest of the sake's to find hanging around the USA. This was a dry sake that could be done anywhere from chilled to hot (including on the rocks) that I thought had a hint of fruit, though not as much as the first sake. This seemed like it was designed to go with salty dishes (though the internet says it would do well with spicy ones, too, and the internet never lies... /beat), and paired much better with the sukiyaki then the red wine had earlier.

And just look at this. And compare it to the picture above. I'll wait!

This had green onions and grilled tofu, but that's the common part. The noodles were potato noodles, not udon, and a much bigger serving (to make up for the lack of rice). There was mizuna ('leafy greens') and that cute little star thing is momijifu. That's basically a bread like substance made from wheat gluten, if I'm understanding my notes correctly. Bean curd is then added. It's sort of soft yet chewy. Finally the beef- that's wagyu. Sukiyaki with wagyu beef.

And, of course, it was delicious.

Chef Aphisek came out a bit later to talk to us: he noted that the version he made was the kind of version one could make at home. This is the kind you go to fancy restaurants and have them make for you. :P For good reason, I think.

And... that was basically it. :( Save for the dessert sake!

On my list, all it says is 'Pineapple Nigori'. Talking to Gavin, it actually seems like this was a Kanbai shochu with pineapple juice added in. It was thick, creamy, and sweet. Very enjoyable, and a lovely little ending.

This, then, is the bottle of beer and the bottle of the three sake's the courses were paired with (though not the last nigori/shochu or whatever it was). We were allowed to examine them and read them, which was nice. As we were, as usual, the last ones out, we also had a long conversation with Gavin about paper cranes (he kept ripping them when he tried to make them flap), shochu versus sake and the beer pairing- which looked like it would have been a ton of fun, if I could stand beer.

...This was a long post, huh? Well, to summarize: it was lovely, great, enjoyable and of course delicious. Though we keep saying we're not going back to Disney till they finally finish some of their projects, not going to the food and wine next year will be ridiculously hard, and I'm unsure if I can handle it. I want to be at Disney right now, in fact... agh, reading other people's dining reviews is torture! Er. Ahem.

Coming sooner rather then later, hopefully: two quick stops.

Really enjoying your review. As for Mexico- I love chilaquiles! My favorite breakfast item when I go to Mexico :)

Wagyu beef also kind of is the best thing ever. I was at a restaurant in chicago that did Wagyu pastrami and it was a meal of dreams.

Can't wait to read more!

Your Japanese lunch looks incredible! Love your reviews, I hope you find the time to finish!:flower:

I decided to break my responses up as Mikka managed to post twice while I was busy with life. :-)

We'd have to go to an Asian market to find the hondashi, though. Maybe the mirnin, too. Silly small towns.

But we do have several Asian and Hispanic markets as well as an Indian market; so not too bad for a silly small town.

(though I assume some people would have a problem with straight vodka or tequila being served with a Japanese meal...). This was a very salty dish, and the red just didn't pair that great with it: it wasn't able to stand up to it.)

I would have been happy with Sake, Tequila or even Vodka paired with this dish. The red was drinkable, but not a good pairing.

We'd tried their cranberry before

With the seasonal Cranberry Ginger Ale. It was a nice drink.

The Tokyo Culinary Demonstration was a real treat. I enjoyed the presentation and the food. The Deep Eddie presentation was also fun, I enjoyed the drinks and like Mikka, would like to try the lemon flavour.

Yum! I am now very hungry for Japanese food! I would have fallen over if I drank all that vodka :faint: But you had no choice since you need to report on it for all your food report followers! :thumbsup2
Glad to see you back!! Happy New Year! :goodvibes

Now I'll reply to Mikka's loyal followers!

Finding a passion and being able to enjoy it is a wonderful thing!

And with a little luck and a lot of hard work - it can be a career! $$$$ Vacation Money! $$$$

Mikka how dare you leave us hanging like this!

Thanks for joining me in harassing!

blue chair rum

Doesn't seem to be available locally. :sad2:

Wagyu pastrami

Yes! Yes! I'd love to try that!

ooh so glad to see the pairing is worth the cost. Looks great.

Of course, it is all a matter of personal choice, but we thought this one was great!

I hope you find the time to finish!

I have my methods. pirate:

I would have fallen over if I drank all that vodka

Don't try this at home! We are trained professionals!

Thanks for reading and posting!

Really enjoying your review. As for Mexico- I love chilaquiles! My favorite breakfast item when I go to Mexico :)

Wagyu beef also kind of is the best thing ever. I was at a restaurant in chicago that did Wagyu pastrami and it was a meal of dreams.

Can't wait to read more!

So chilaquiles is a big thing? Ooo. I'd love to go to Mexico: the only time I went I was maybe five and all we did was walk over the border (as you could back then) in to some tourist trap town. I think we ate at Burger King. ;_; Then again, at five, that's probably all I would eat. As for Wagyu pastrami: WANT. That sounds so delicious!

ooh so glad to see the pairing is worth the cost. Looks great.

I definitely thought it was! Just don't tell too many people... I want them to keep it, but not for it to get too crowded!

Your Japanese lunch looks incredible! Love your reviews, I hope you find the time to finish!:flower:

I will do my best. I promise!

Yum! I am now very hungry for Japanese food! I would have fallen over if I drank all that vodka :faint: But you had no choice since you need to report on it for all your food report followers! :thumbsup2
Glad to see you back!! Happy New Year! :goodvibes

Happy New Year to you, too! And heh, I can do pretty well drinking spirits. It's the beer I can't drink- not only do I not like it, but if I do drink it, I end up having to er, use the restroom five hundred times. Beer hates me, I think. Though I had some Mexican beer the other day that I sort of liked.

I have my methods. pirate:

I'd be scared, if not for the fact that I can make your Arial disappear. ^_^

This is just a quick post, with only two short stops. I got sort of distracted by, um, Pokemon. Yes, I do still play it, and yes, it's still awesome. (If you want to share 3DS friend codes, post here or feel free to message me, if any other game players are hiding on Disney message boards!)

JAPAN SAKE BAR AND THAT PINEAPPLE PLACE/JUNK FOOD STOP

It's actually sort of a tradition that each time we go to this Tokyo Pairing, we then leave and head down stairs and go get sake. We explored the full shop first (something that can take over an hour- I drool over all the anime/manga stuff, mom gets distracted by various cat things they have, we look at the kimono patterns, stare at all the snacks, write our names in water repeatedly, see people getting their pearls, so on), so we're not totally crazy. Only mostly.

We were actually looking to try shochu, but the only kind they had for sampling was the same kind we had just drank upstairs. They did have a shochu made out of carrots, though, that I really wish we could have afforded, but it was like, 40$. Boo!

Here is a picture of the lovely and friendly Sayaka (I love that name) holding Murai Family Nigori Genshu. We've had many sakes by the Murai Family before (in fact, we went to a tasting that featured their sakes in Maryland a few years ago), but never their nigori. Nigori is the sweet, cloudy (nigori in fact means cloudy) sake: the rice isn't overly polished, which is what gives it the sweetness and the cloudness.

Here, for example, it is in the glass: it's white (maybe even a bit peachy, though I think that's the lighting), rather then clear.

Nigori sakes are commonly thought of as dessert sakes (though they pair excellently with spicy foods), but I wouldn't compare it to a standard dessert wine- it's more like a port or ice wine. Not that it's fortified or frozen, but that the flavor is incredibly bold and strong, and the alcohol content is often decent (15%, usually- this one is a bit higher). I wouldn't call any sake I've ever had bland, but some of them are subtle: the second sake we had at the pairing, for instance, was neutral and soft in its flavors. This is creamy and has hints of vanilla and coconut- or perhaps they're more the hints. I really enjoy it.

It's common, though, when someone gets started with a new alcohol, to usually have them start drinking sweeter drinks. (I know when I started drinking, it was daiquiri's and sangria, and my first wine of choice was Riesling when all they really had imported was sweet stuff.) For someone who doesn't like the taste of alcohol, though, I think with sake the more mellow ones would probably be better. This Nigori punches you right in the face with the alcohol. Sure, the vanilla and coconut and SWEET are definitely there, but you know you're drinking pure alcohol.

Sorry for the ramble, just something that's been on my mind for a while.

One of the employees gave us this thing to wear on our fingers. Don't know why, but it's cute/evil, isn't it?

Jumping over... mom wanted a cronut. (is that how they're spelled?)

And what mom wants (on vacation), mom gets (on vacation). We'd never had one of these before. It's sticky, covered in sugar, and soft and flakey but still doughy. In other words, it's perfect. There aren't many words to describe this thing, but it's certainly delicious; if you've never had one, do yourself a favor and try it out. I think it's there all year now- it's at the booth near Canada with the small bathrooms attached that sells generic junk food most times of the year and random pineapple stuff during F&G and F&W. Mom really loved it, which I think is fitting. :)

Next... I think Prime Time? Hm.

JAPANESE FOOD AND WINE PAIRING LUNCHEON ...If you've read previous threads I've made, you'll know that mom and I love this event. I think this is the third or fourth year in a row we've went.

Yes, this event has been a wonderful tradition. The food and sake is always great. The presenter and staff seem like they are enjoying it as much as we are, what's not to like?

October 1st, which is Sake day

Really? Some how I missed this. We should put it on the calendar!

Tama no Megumi

This was just "OK" to me. I gave it three stars on the Untapped App. It is considered an American Pale Ale style; not my favorite type of brew.

Chef Aphisek came out a bit later to talk to us

I thought it was so sweet he came out to visit with us after we met him earlier at the demo.

On my list, all it says is 'Pineapple Nigori'. Talking to Gavin, it actually seems like this was a Kanbai shochu with pineapple juice added in. It was thick, creamy, and sweet. Very enjoyable, and a lovely little ending.

This might not be traditional, but it was tasty,

Though we keep saying we're not going back to Disney till they finally finish some of their projects,

I refer to this next trip as "the one where Mikka pushes my wheelchair" given the slow process Disney makes with their projects. Universal can build an entire ride faster than Disney can put a roof over an out door seating area. (I'm talking to you Flame Tree!)

It's actually sort of a tradition that each time we go to this Tokyo Pairing, we then leave and head down stairs and go get sake... so we're not totally crazy. Only mostly.

Some would say we are totally crazy!

mom wanted a cronut

I've been wanting to try this fried bit of heaven since they became available at Epcot. It was soooo good.

The Toyko Paring looks great, love how you leave that and head to get sake :rotfl:That is something I need to try!

The Toyko Paring looks great, love how you leave that and head to get sake :rotfl:That is something I need to try!

It's a tradition! A crazy tradition, admittedly, but a tradition all the same. :D It really was great.

Alright, this is going to be a non-wordy review. Or that's what I say, anyway: they always end up wordy.

50'S PRIME TIME

I actually don't mind Prime Time. I know for a while it had a reputation of being the worst place to eat in the worrrrrldddd, but I've never had a truly horrible meal there. If you stick to their standards- the chicken, the meatloaf, and the pot roast- I think you'll generally walk out of here fine. Is it gourmet food? No. But it's not horrible, and you sit in a cute faux-kitchen and the waitstaff has that shtick thing going on that's fun to watch, at least. You're not going to walk out thinking you just had the best meal of your life, but I've yet to walk out and go kiss the sidewalk outside of a Perkins, as I remember a report (perhaps in the Unofficial Guide?) once read. Personally, I'd say they do better then Perkins. Just saying.

...Though I don't think I've eaten at Perkins since I was under ten. Maybe Perkins is now gourmet food. I have no idea!

One complaint about 50's, though: the fried cheese app and the smores seem to be off the menu for good, now. That's so disappointing. :(

Thus, no appetizer for us. :(

A trip to the Prime Time is not complete without a milkshake. (Why are alcoholic milkshakes not on their menu? I mean, I guess they'd pour a shot in if you ordered it, but you'd think that would be a big hit.) The big one is the PBJ, which we had never tried before despite numerous trips here. Honestly, it tasted mostly like a general peanut butter milkshake: there was only a hint of sweetness coming from the jelly, whatever jelly that might have been. The portion of this was huge, as was a theme with this restaurant. Mom's green milkshake, more reasonably sized, was the special: key lime pie. Both were great, though the key lime might have been the best: it was unusual, a tiny bit tart while still being sweet, and generally delicious.

I went with my usual, Auntie's Golden Fried Chicken. I asked for all dark meat (you usually get a mix, but if you prefer one or the other, they'll comply), so this is what I got. I thought this was a huge portion- I would usually eat around half of it. The mashed potatoes (covered in gravy) and the corn are reasonable size, but that's a ton of chicken. With an appetizer, this could be easily shared.

As for the taste? Up here in PA, fried chicken isn't a common thing (save for at dinners, but I don't go to dinners much). So I don't really know 'true southern fried chicken'. (Unless Popeye's counts? :P) From my experiences, though, this is fine. It's good fried chicken, slightly greasy but not in a way that it's just sitting in puddles of it. Potatoes and corn were perfectly acceptable and the gravy had a nice taste to it. Better fried chicken can be found over at the Trail's End (at least at lunch), but it's not bad at all.

Mom had the 'blue plate special', which I understand changes often: Buffalo shrimp on skewers and baked (buffalo) mac and cheese. While the shrimp was lightly spiced (and hard to get off the skewers), it seemed like the mac and cheese got the brunt of the flavoring: it definitely had that spicy tinge to it. It wasn't too spicy, thoug. I think mom mostly ordered this dish for the mac and cheese. While the portion wasn't as huge as mine, it was still pretty big. I only had a bite of each item, but I believe mom enjoyed it.

A large portion of an apple crisp. After the entree and milkshake, I was really too full for this, but I won't deny that it was very tasty. I wish I could have eaten more of it.
[/URL]
Dang it, messed up the URL coding again. This is chocolate peanut butter cake, with extra special chocolate ice cream from, uh, Hollywood and Vine (apparently, there's no chocolate ice cream in Prime Time). Again, another huge portion, but I suppose that's usual for these sort of cakes. The chocolate cake was moist enough, but mom mostly just ate the peanut butter goo part, as cakes aren't really our thing. That part was nice. Really nice.

Our waitress, who ran over to get said ice cream for mom (who doesn't like vanilla ice cream, the heathen), was Mandy ("I'm just in it for the dress"). She was funny, and in to the routine but in an utterly deadpan sort of way- which was more funny then the over the top guy also in the room who kept begging people to put their 'toys' (cellphones) away. All in all, it was an enjoyable lunch with a good waitress, which is really all you can ask for.

(From the three waitstaff in the room we were in, all of them seemed to be doing the shtick. I've heard YMMV on whether your server does it or not anymore, but the ones around us definitely were.)

Next... Brown Derby.

Mom's green milkshake, more reasonably sized, was the special: key lime pie.

This was soooo gooood! I wasn't too sure about a Key Lime Milkshake, but I am so glad I tried it. We won't discuss leaving Mikka's "to go cup" of leftover milkshake on the table.

I think mom mostly ordered this dish for the mac and cheese.

Yup!

Mandy ("I'm just in it for the dress").

She won me over with that comment. She really was very funny.

Wow. Your Tokyo dining experience looks simply amazing. We had a true Japanese meal in Vegas one time that was a little similar to what you all did and I still remember how amazing it was. Nothing like strip mall sushi and steakhouse places.

I"m going to have to try that sake place sometime. As much as I like to drink, I've never really tried sake other than a sip here and there. Seems the sake bar would be a good place to try some different selections.

Think we may hit up 50's for the first time in a long time next trip. My hubby usually prefers SciFi but I think I can lure him there with the promise of a PB&J milkshake

Hello! Glad you are back! Enjoyed reading your Japanese lunch but it would not be for me. Sushi rolls are as far as I go!

So disappointing that the Smores are no longer at 50s! DH does enjoy the fried chicken and I like the pot roast so we will probably go back at some point. But its not a must do for me any longer. And I definitely agree about the alcoholic milk shakes! Seems like a natural there!

I hear you on the no good fried chicken places in PA. I swear my favorite place to get chicken is Redner's which is a grocery store :laughing:
I am not a milkshake person but the desserts looked great and I have to agree with Redwitch on the no vanilla ice cream :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter