Might sell...our scenario

jarrdisney

DIS Veteran
Hello all. .......... We bought opening year of BLT......... and love being DVC members. We have been living in beautiful, sunny Orlando for nearly two years now, and are closing on our home down here in a couple weeks. We had the cash to buy DVC, as we were holding onto it for a down payment on a home. When it took us a lot longer to move here than anticipated, we pulled the trigger on DVC since we would vacation here 4+ times per year. While we currently have the money for our down payment, we see it wise to downgrade our DVC membership since we live in Orlando, and don't use it as often. We found ourselves needing to use points, so we would stay a night or two at Vero or head up to Hilton Head. While I like the resorts, with the amount we are now paying in annual dues, I would much rather save the money and vacation elsewhere.

At first we were thinking of selling .......... outright, as it seems we can basically "break even" on what we had originally purchased for. After giving it more thought, a smaller ................ SSR contract seemed much more feasible, as we really don't want to give up being DVC members completely. If my math is correct, we would still net s........................ and have ................. at a resort with similar annual dues. We always book less than 7 months out, so I'm not concerned with home resort. I guess everyone's situation is different, and while I'm not happy about selling our contract, I think it might be best for us, considering we live 10 minutes away from the happiest place on earth!

Nice problem to have being 10 minutes away and a DVC owner. It seems that other than wanting to still be a part of DVC it would be easy to rent points when you want and avoid the MF and vacation elsewhere when you are not at Disney. Happy Easter!

Since smaller contracts are harder to find, you might want to consider buying a small one direct through Disney---even though its more expensive--before selling your other contract.

It would allow you to stay a DVC member and get in with a contract as little as 25 points.

Good luck!

With closing costs and commission to consider I think I would keep the points I already own and rent out those I don't want to use on an annual basis.

With closing costs and commission to consider I think I would keep the points I already own and rent out those I don't want to use on an annual basis.

I agree with this advice. If you rent your points it should pay your MFs, you will still be a member and get whatever perks they are offering.

I have thought of renting out our points, but after paying our annual dues, we wouldn't make a whole lot per year, and we'd be out all our points. We currently have 200 pts, and I think a 100 pt contract might work for our needs. From what I gather the buyer almost always pays closing, so we would just be paying the commission. We live here and have friends/family that are CM's, so the "perks" for being DVC members is pretty much a non issue.

I agree with this advice. If you rent your points it should pay your MFs, you will still be a member and get whatever perks they are offering.

No not strictly true, you could rent 100 points and more or less make enough to pay MF on the 200.

Buyers do not always pay closing, I didn't when I bought.

But at the end of the day it is up to you if you have decided to sell maybe you won't be satisfied until you do.

If you sell your contract, why don't you just consider renting distress points from TSS, David's or the rent boards (they go from 8-10 dollars a point).

Your MFs this year would have been $900. If you rent half of your points per year even at $10pp you will have enough to pay all your dues and still have 100 points to use for long weekends or whatever. Rent all your points for $12pp and you can pay your dues and still have $1500 to travel someplace else.

I don't blame you for wanting to sell since you live so close, just wanted to point out some benefits to stay.

Good luck with your decision.

How does one go about renting points? Does it matter that the points are banked? Does the expiration time frame matter when renting points? ie expiring in 30 days vs. expiring in 6 months? Who best to contact to rent points?

...we really don't want to give up being DVC members completely.

...considering we live 10 minutes away from the happiest place on earth!
WHY? If you live just a short distance away, what on earth is DVC membership going to do for you?

As a Florida resident, you get the same AP prices (both regular and Premium), plus several other choices DVC members don't get -- seasonal, Epcot after 4 PM, waterparks after 2 PM, etc -- plus great cash rental deals DVC doesn't get.

If you have an irresistable urge to spend a couple of nights at DVC, by all means, go to the DIS R/T board or Davids and rent a reservation at very reasonable prices.

Yes, you could rent your points, but really...what's the point of that? I can see it as the lesser of two bad options for someone who financed and is underwater, but that's not your situation.

Why keep your money tied up in a depreciating asset when you have so many options?

My advice is to call TTS and get them to check your math and give you a sensible estimate of how you would do after all costs are deducted, and go from there. I've sold two contracts through them and I wouldn't think of using anyone else to sell.

I would sell your current contract. You can always buy back in any time in the future, it's so flexible sell now and get your lump sum cash back kwim?

If it were me, I would sell now and take the advice of others here and just rent points when you need to. Living so close gives you a LOT more options, you could probably pick up last minute points pretty cheap when you want to stay at DVC. I'd wait one full year and then consider buying back in with a small contract if you really miss owning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter