Might be a long shot but.....

rajak73

DIS Veteran
This might be a long shot but, do any of the camping members have a King Quest VQ4100 portable Sat. dish? Looking to upgrade from my 18" dish that has probably fell over too many times and things are off trying to set it up. Looking at portable setups for Directv and wondered if anyone has one? Thanks

rajak,

I don't have the Directv model but I have the King Tailgater which looks identical but runs off the DISH Network service. I bought it and used it last year during football season while tailgating. I bought service by the month for 4 months and then let it go for several months. I'm going to use it again here for this season.

There's a few differences (the Directv dish is only SD not HD which I guess means it looks for their 101W satellite). Having u-Verse at home for tv, I had to buy a little receiver box to go with it. Maybe you have Directv at home so it will work with a receiver you take from home? It worked well for us since I used it in the same location tailgating over and over for the most part although a few times I was in different locations (I took the Aliner camping over Thanksgiving weekend locally).

I got a little app for my phone (Dishpointer) to help me find the satellites in the sky which is half the battle. Setting up the antenna and letting it do its thing was pretty easy. I used to carry a tripod with a satellite dish and manually aim it but eventually no amount of duct tape could hold it together. The antenna and receiver box are small and fit well into my tailgate package - I have to park where I can several blocks away and then roll the stuff to the tailgate location.

For those reading, my DISH subscription was $65 for 4 months to get the package with the SEC Network. Since the SEC primarily plays on the ESPN family of networks, that was a priority. And since I live locally in the tv market where I tailgate, I got my local channels too.

So they work if you can get a good view of the satellite.

Bama Ed

PS - with Directv I think when you travel you would not be able to get the locals for wherever you are if you travel out of your home media market. But you could get all the "cable" channels and integrate a digital tv over-the-air (OTA) antenna to pull in locals.

Thanks bama-ed, yes I do have directv at home and use one of my receivers, locals I just use my antenna. I have a 18" dish and tripod, I think it's been tipped over too many times, tried for almost 2 hours over memorial day to set up the sat and could get like 3 transponders out of 32, my signal meter showed it was where it should have been and my phone app showed it was pointed in the right direction. Even run the coax through the window and direct to the receiver to bypass camper connections, talked about getting one of the small ones before but for directv, they are not cheap. Ordered one from camping world yesterday, they had a internet special going on at a good price. Will let you know how it works after it arrives I get to play with it for a while. Thanks again for the info!

Finally got to try out the King Quest Directv portable dish, it was almost like cheating getting it set up and having tv. LOL

We are looking at a Dish Playmaker and a Wally receiver. Anyone have experience with this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter