Microwave rental and refrigerator question

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by wheredreamsbegin, Feb 13, 2013.

1. wheredreamsbegin

wheredreamsbegin DIS Veteran

I am helping a friend to plan their upcoming trip to WDW. :goodvibes They are planning to stay in a moderate resort (most likely Caribbean Beach). She asked me about the size of the in-room refrigerator and the possibility of renting a microwave. Since I don't know the answers to her questions, I thought I would ask all of you!

TIA!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. grimley1968

grimley1968 DIS Veteran

The fridges are the small dorm-room kind of fridge.

When our kids were younger we used to request a microwave in the room and it was always granted. There was no charge. But it's been years since we did this, so I don't know if there is a set policy on microwaves now.

4. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Normally, the standard hotel rooms do not have microwave ovens in the rooms, but they do have them in the dining areas that guests can use to heat up food. DVC resorts all have either kitchenettes or full kitchens, each with a microwave oven.

The refrigerators in the standard hotel rooms (not DVC) do not usually have any sort of freezer section.

5. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

There is a very limited number of microwaves at most resorts and are first come/first serve. You also are not supposed to bring in your own. There is a microwave for guest use in the food court.

6. minerva78

minerva78 Mouseketeer

Do you know when you would have to request a microwave - is it something you can do at booking or would you not be able to request one until you checked into the resort?

7. Mommy2TwoMickeys

Mommy2TwoMickeys DIS Veteran

I asked the CM a couple weeks ago about requesting a microwave in our room at the Poly and she told me that this request is to be done at check-in at your hotel. :wave2:

8. minerva78

minerva78 Mouseketeer

Drats, that's what I was afraid of. We'd be doing about a 9 hour drive to WDW, so we wouldn't be one of the first one's to check in. Sounds like I shouldn't take the risk of one being available and I'll instead have to figure out if I want a microwave enough to stay in a more expensive room. We'd probably mainly use it for breakfast, so it may be cheaper to just buy breakfast or use a coffee pot to heat water and make oatmeal. :) Thanks for the info!

9. plutolovr

plutolovr DIS Veteran

I believe you can only request a microwave when staying in a deluxe resort, not moderates or values.