Microwave access on Disney Dream - UPDATE Page 5: We're back!

[SNIP] he also picked out one food item from the menus before going that he thought he could try and he psyched himself up for it and tried the Wild Boar and really liked it.

Thats so cool that he tried something and liked it! Great confidence builder for him to try pork or beef in the future! And on a Disney Cruise!
I imagine you were overjoyed that he tried it and liked it!
:woohoo:

Ex Techie :)

Thats so cool that he tried something and liked it! Great confidence builder for him to try pork or beef in the future! And on a Disney Cruise!
I imagine you were overjoyed that he tried it and liked it!
:woohoo:

Ex Techie :)

We were very happy! This was one of the building on something familiar things. He will eat pork tenderloin so after looking at pictures it wasn't that much of a stretch. 2 years ago it probably would not have happened!

It's funny, my sensory kid also had very specific food needs (I.e. battered nuggets but not breaded nuggets) and expanded his tolerable foods at WDW, adding one food nearly every trip... For a few years I think that was the main reason DH would agree to go... DS also has some food allergies, so that further complicates things...

My DH had sensory issues with food as a child - and still has food texture preferences and won't eat some things because of texture - for example, he loves the taste of coconut, but won't eat most coconut foods because he can't stand the texture of it. His issues were also exacerbated by severe (deadly) food allergies to some rather common foods, and as he's gotten older he's developed oral sensitivity to other common foods.

He *loves* trying new things on the cruises because he doesn't feel too guilty if he doesn't like something - he knows he can get something else he can eat! The buffets are great because he can usually get something he likes, and something new to try. He will often get stuff for lunch from the Kid's buffet (they usually have pizza, chicken strips/nuggets, mac&cheese, cookies, etc. on a separate line on the Wonder/Magic - don't know about Dream/Fantasy) but will also usually try something different - because he can. I know the OP said vacation isn't a the place to try new foods, but for us we've found it's the perfect time. Even our DD is more willing to try something new on vacation, because everything is new and different. As long as there's something to fall back on, I've found they both can be a little more adventurous than they would be at home.

That said - I'd also plan to bring stuff you know she will eat. I liked the suggestion of pre-cooked Kraft or trying to make easy mac without a microwave - all you really need to cook pasta is to steep it in boiling water for ~8 minutes so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to make it without a microwave or hot pot. Goldfish are easy to carry on, as are individual boxes of the cereals she likes. I'd pack it all in one suitcase - then, as it gets eaten, you have more room to bring home souvenirs!

Definitely contact DCL as well, as they may have more suggestions for accommodation. You can also go to the Dining Change location when you first get on the ship and see if you can talk to a head waiter or chef and see if there's anything that the land-based offices had wrong or anything else they can do. It's really the head waiter's job to make sure you have the best dining experience, and to do what they can to accommodate these kinds of things, so talking to them directly as soon as you can - and then again to your head waiter at dinner - is the best thing you can do. If she is willing to eat the DCL Mac & Cheese, then they will make sure she has it at every sit-down meal. It's probably worth trying at least once to see. :)

Can you get a feel for whether she'd like it or not from a picture? I found this one of the DCL kid's Mac&Cheese (no idea how old it is or if it's current but it's what my DD had last May on the Magic):
images

This one's from the Disney Food Blog - I think this must be from the Dream or Fantasy because I've never seen these plates on the Wonder/Magic:
Kids-mac-and-cheese.jpg

I hope this helps! Have a great vacation, and don't sweat it too much - I'm sure she'll get plenty to eat!

This thread has brought back so many memories for me. My DS, now 15, had severe sensory and feeding disorders. We tried two programs, one at Children's Hospital in DC (no success) and Kennedy Krieger at Hopkins in Baltimore. I can't say enough good things about Kennedy Kreiger. Without that program, I have no doubt that my son would not be eating normally now. At the time (he was almost 3), he would only eat banana baby food, turkey pepperoni, and mashed sweet potatoes. Now, he eats pretty much anything but pasta. He loves any kind of chicken, beef, pork, sushi, ethnic foods, all veggies and fruits, sauces, and flavors. In fact, I'd call him a foodie. I encourage anyone who has a child with this disorder to seek help at a top medical center. It is not something that is simply outgrown, but needs treatment.

As far as DCL goes, they normally have a strawberry banana yogurt, but you'll have to fish out the fruit chunks. In order to get hotter water for mac and cheese, I'd go to Cove Cafe and have the barista make some super hot water to cook it in. You might want to bring a disposable plastic Tupperware type container to use to cook it in. We never ordered chicken nuggets, but tried the chicken strips. They're heavily battered, similar to McDonald's chicken selects. I'd bring as much pre packaged food with you as you possible. If the yogurt thing is an issue, get a small cooler or insulated lunch box with ice pack and bring your own. Most people think there are a lot of food choices on a cruise, however, when you're child has this disorder, there are actually very few. Really, bring your own food, if possible.

Hope this helps. I completely know what you're going through. Good luck!

For the OP or anyone else who may stumble upon this thread, below is a link to the Kennedy Krieger feeding program at Hopkins. It literally saved my son's life because without proper nutrition and eating habits, it is impossible to live a normal life.

I'm NOT trying to sound preachy, but if I can even help one family it's worth it. Also, almost everyone there was from out of town. Insurance covered everything for my son. It was a hard few weeks, but it's probably the best thing I've done as a parent.

http://www.kennedykrieger.org/patie...tinuums/pediatric-feeding-disorders-continuum

I assume this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything when I did a search.

We are getting ready for our 5 night Disney Dream cruise and I am wondering if there is any way to gain access to a microwave while onboard the ship? My youngest DD has an oral sensory processing disorder and only eats a very few number of foods. About the only thing I can count on her to eat consistently is Kraft macaroni & cheese. It CANNOT be any other kind (I've tried...trust me!)
Thanks!

Will your child eat kraft easy mac? I bet you can get them to bring you some super hot water to make the easy mac. Test it at home first but I am willing to bet if the water in the carafe is hot enough - you may be able to cook the pasta without a microwave - it may just have to steep in the carafe for 10 minutes or so.

I like the idea of trying to make Easy Mac at home and see if she eats it. Not the stuff in the microwave bowls, but the kind that comes with a single serve pouch of pasta & pouch of cheese powder. Seems to be the same as the regular traditional Kraft mac & cheese just a single serving. And then go with having room service send up a carafe of super hot water. Bring a couple of bowls & a tiny bottle of dish washing liquid.
Not ideal, but you'll know she'll have something to eat.

And if you you find something different about access to a microwave, please share. I'd love to know.

For the OP or anyone else who may stumble upon this thread, below is a link to the Kennedy Krieger feeding program at Hopkins. It literally saved my son's life because without proper nutrition and eating habits, it is impossible to live a normal life.

http://www.kennedykrieger.org/patie...tinuums/pediatric-feeding-disorders-continuum

This immediately made me think of some of my online friends with children with eating/sensory issues - many of whom rely on a g-tube and/or have had bad experiences with feeding programs locally. I've shared your story and link with them. Thank you.

OP here :goodvibes

I have not been online all weekend and opened up this thread this morning to so many wonderful responses! :love: I was kind of afraid that I would get flamed for being a bad parent for not "making" my kid try different foods.

It is SO refreshing to read all of your responses and know that I am not the only one dealing with these issues! My DD will be 3 this week and we have been dealing with her oral sensory issues since birth!

She has reflux, in addition to her sensory issues and has had trouble tolerating most foods all her life. Her story is similar to all the ones I have seen posted here, her nervous system is simply not able to process the textures (or temperatures) of lots of foods. We have been doing feeding therapy and OT for the last year and a half, and while it has helped, we are obviously still struggling!

We are lucky in that she will tolerate the taste/texture of Pediasure, so we supplement a lot with that. For my DD, it doesn't really matter HOW hungry she is, if it is a food she can't/won't eat, then it's not going to happen.

I so appreciate everyone's help in letting me know what is available to eat on the cruise. The pictures were great! It looks like she will eat the cheese cubes, but the mac & cheese will likely be a no-go. I have never seen those pouches of Kraft mac & cheese before but I will definitely be hunting them down before we leave to see if she will eat it.

I know she won't starve. Like I said, she will eat cheerios and kix and goldfish and a few other things I intend to bring with me, but it would be nice for her to have an actual "meal" maybe once while we're gone :)

I have also contacted DCL directly to see if they can help me out at all, but I have not received a response yet. I will definitely report back when I do.

Since everyone has been so nice, I will ask one more question. DD will only drink milk if it is warm (at least room temperature). I sort of assumed that I could ask for warm milk at meals on the ship and they would be able to do that for me. Is that true, or should I be planning for a way to warm it up on my own?

Thank you all so much! This has been a wonderful start to my day! :hug:

Don"t know what kind of milk your child drinks but they only have on the dream whole milk and skim milk.

Don"t know what kind of milk your child drinks but they only have on the dream whole milk and skim milk.

:scared: Seriously?

Well...we generally mix the Pediasure with her milk, so hopefully that will mask the change. I know she won't drink skim milk by itself. She used to drink whole milk...maybe it will still be "acceptable".

DCL is killing me here :headache: :goodvibes

OP here :goodvibes

Since everyone has been so nice, I will ask one more question. DD will only drink milk if it is warm (at least room temperature). I sort of assumed that I could ask for warm milk at meals on the ship and they would be able to do that for me. Is that true, or should I be planning for a way to warm it up on my own?

Thank you all so much! This has been a wonderful start to my day! :hug:

My ds4 will only drink warm milk, i brought a baby bottle which i filled with milk, ran the sink to the hottest water, filled the sink and sat the bottle in it for 10-15 minutes 'til it was warm enough for him... a water bottle would work as well, but the baby bottle is easier to wash.

If your daughter will only drink 2%, i suggest mixing the whole and the skim to get the right texture for her :)

I've heard they have bottle warmers you can borrow.

Cabanas has chocolate, 1%, skim and whole milk.
20110202_0056.jpg

photo by Timon

I have learned quite a bit from reading these posts. My 10yr old DS was a very, very picky eat but his pediatrician always made light of it and I had never heard of this disorder. He adds more items each year but he is still picky. As a baby he would stick his tounge out just a tad and taste. Very few things would make him stick it out further to actually eat some of the food. He loved yogurt, Mac n cheese and as he got older he added pizza and chicken nuggets to his list. I endured comments ans stares from my MIL who insisted he was just spoiled and indulged. Both my son and daughter were born in the 34th week but she never had any issues with food. I also never made the connection between me not liking certain textures and his food issues. I have never been able to get cottage cheese to my lips and I like the taste of oatmeal but I must have lots of fruit in it to avoid feeling it in my mouth.

I feel all the pregnancy book and articles could have been skipped if I just known about this site. LOL

My option is to ask in advance for pasta w/butter (slightly wet) and some hot water during dinner and mix the package into the pasta and butter

I have never heard of oral sensory issues and I am stunned! It's so sad when a child has a medical issue and people don't seem to understand it. I hope you guys can find something that works and enjoy your trip!:goodvibes

I don't have any answers as we haven't cruised yet, but I feel your pain! My little boy is six and, in addition to his life threatening nut allergies, he has GERD/reflux and swallowing issues...and major food aversions.

We discovered during his reflux treatment that (in laymans terms) his tongue doesn't work correctly, so when he swallows food, he was aspirating significant quantities of it. Additionally, when he ate food with mixed textures (like really soft pears--something that has a bit of a solid plus a liquid), his mouth couldn't process it, so he would just swallow it whole and often large chunks would go into his lungs. Plus he was refluxing high enough that he also was aspirating stomach acid into his lungs. Such a mess.

I spent a long time thickening all his liquids with Thick-It (yuck) and he went through feeding therapy. He still flat-out refuses many foods including most meat (he'll eat soft hamburgers and the Mickey nuggets from Costco--that is it. No other meat.) He still can't figure out mixed texture foods and "yogurt with chunks in it" (as he calls it) is cause for tears because it sends him into complete overload. His mouth and his brain just flip out and he doesn't know what to do with the different textures in his mouth. He drinks only milk and water--won't even look at juice and there are many popsicles he refuses because they melt down into too thin a liquid in his mouth.

Anyhow, that is a small portion of our story. Sometimes it helps to know you're not the only one out there. Most of the time you'd never know my 6 year old has these issues--people focus on his nut allergy while I work behind the scenes on the nut allergy *plus* the other medical issues.

My option is to ask in advance for pasta w/butter (slightly wet) and some hot water during dinner and mix the package into the pasta and butter

This is a great idea...maybe worth a shot at home with some other brand of shaped noodles. You could buy the Annies brand of mac and cheese and just cook up the pasta (they have it in bunny shapes or Arthur shapes plus boring shapes) and then use the Kraft packets. That way you could try the idea out at home before your cruise and remind your kiddo that there will be Mickey noodles on the big boat and you're practicing for Mickey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!