Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - anyone been to one?

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by disneyholic family, Nov 15, 2005.

1. disneyholic family

disneyholic family <font color=teal>Wayne always catches me<br><font

i've made it to my laptop in between massive fits of coughing - i had a flu shot, but my body doesn't seem to have recognized that fact....been in bed for the last two days, barely able to crawl out...

but enough of me...

my husband's secretary has reservations for her husband and granddaughter for 2 days at WDW (i know...too short - but that's another story)..
    in any case, when i checked the dates that they'll be there i noticed that there's a Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on the one full day they're there (the day i suggested they go to the MK)....

since i've never been to one i don't know what to advise her.....whether to go or not...
    it will be her husband (about 60 years old) and his 9 year old granddaughter...

so for anyone who's been to the party the following questions:

1.) what do you think?
    I'm leaning towards recommending that they go to it....

2.) Is it fun?

3.) Do you only need the party ticket?....that is, you don't need a regular ticket as well?....just the party ticket?

4.)on the disney site it says that it's from 7 to midnight....is it like the halloween party , where they start letting people in at 4 in the afternoon.

thanks in advance for all the info...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. UKPhil

UKPhil Mouseketeer

Yes, we've been and absolutely loved it ! Probably our best ever trip to MK. Amazing parade and just a wonderful experience. Their 9 year old is at the ideal age to take it all in as long as she is OK with staying up late - I seem to recall it was quite a late night as the parade was on twice and we saw the second one and did rides during the first as there were no lines. There are shows, characters dressed up for the holidays ... it really is fantastic.

4. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

We are trying the MVMCP for the first time on December 18th :)

Check out this thread on the main DIS planning board that goes into details of what to expect:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=752567

I'm looking forward to the experience :)

5. disneyholic family

thanks so much for the information..
    i'm going to cut and paste your answers and send it off to her in an email...
    unbelievably, she isn't going because she's afraid to fly!!!...
    so it's just her husband and granddaugther...

he's never been, so i'm trying to get him prepared since it will be for such a short time....

it sounds like a great idea for them to go to the MVMCP.....especially if there are no lines.......i guess the trick will be to go to bed early the night before and maybe to take a nap in the afternoon if possible...

6. Goofyish

Goofyish DIS Veteran

There wil be some lines for rides during MVMCP - although there are a limited number of guests, it's still pretty crowded from the reports I've read, especially at the weekend parties.

Lines for the free cocoa and cookie, and family photos will be quite long, so best to get these as soon as possible.

7. Camac

Camac Mouseketeer

FYI they will need to purchase a special ticket for the evening. On entry to the park they will be given a wristband which will show their eligibility for the free cocoa, cookies etc and to get in to the shows.

It might be better to spend the day in a park other than MK and then move onto MK for MVMCP late afternoon (we were let in for this event at about 5pm)

Camac

8. mushumadness

mushumadness <font color=ff6633>Shopaholic<br><font color=cc339

We are going to mvmcp twice this year!! we went last year and loved it.

its very much worth the money and we had great fun.

9. Miffy2003

Miffy2003 <font color=orange>I've got Saratoga Springs - mak

It is great fun and the parade is fantastic :)

10. squitty

squitty <font color=006633>With a little bit of Pixie Dust

Its a brilliant night:)

11. mandymouse

mandymouse <font color=red>If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Moderator

We've been once, in 2001 and it was lovely. It was busy but the atmoshere was great. We had a lovely photo taken (which arrived home before we did) and the cookies and hot chocolate were fab. As others have said the parade was brilliant too.

12. Laurafoster

Laurafoster DIS Veteran

Depends on how close to Xmas you go! we went the first week in december in 2002 and the lines were ok, about 15mins.

It was a really good night though, free hot choc and a picture and the special parade and fireworks were really good!

Im going next year for my wedding and cannot wait!

13. disneyholic family

hi all....dragged myself back to the laptop....
    i can't sleep......my fever's up and i can't stop coughing....i won't be surprised if i've cracked a rib or two or three...
    i'm such a baby when i'm sick...anyone know home remedies for coughing?...i can't take any cold/cough medicines due to drug interactions....but i'm willing to try home remedies....

anyway....i've passed on the information, but when i spoke with them i thought that maybe they should just go to the MK for opening on that sunday and leave in the afternoon (instead of going to the party in the evening)....
    i was thinking it will be just too tiring for them to go late at night..
    since this is their first trip ever to WDW, i think maybe it would be best for them to go during the day, and take it easy and do what they can....
    if the hours are too long they won't enjoy themselves anyway...

they're buying a two day ticket, so now i'm trying to figure out what other park they should go visit....on sunday they'll go to the MK....they'll have a ticket to visit a park on monday (they fly out of MCO at 7 PM), but i'm not sure which one they should go to....

14. tink too

tink too DIS Veteran

We've been twice to MVMCP - 1999 & 2004 - and loved it!

If your friends aren't going to make it there though, they'll still be able to see some of the shows they run during the party as they are the same as the ones done in the parks through the day. :goodvibes

Maybe MGM would be a good choice for their second day :confused3 - they would get to see Fantasmic and the Osborne Spectacle of Lights! :teeth:

15. Nitram64

Nitram64 Mouseketeer

We have booked for the 29/11 for the first time,never been at this time of year so its new too us.Im looking forward to it. :cheer2:

16. disneyholic family

thanks everyone...
    i wrote up everything you said and emailed it to my husband's secretary (she's actually located in the states, though we're overseas)..
    anyway, she gave all the stuff to her husband (the one going to WDW with his 9 year old granddaughter) and he decided to go for the party...

i hear that he's very excited about the trip now...the trip started out as his gift to his granddaughter...something nice for her.....but now from what i hear, he's every bit as excited as she is....(i've written pages and pages of emails for him, telling all about stuff they can do for free - he's on a very tight budget)..

anyway, this is what he's thinking of doing --
    they arrive in the afternoon on saturday - they'll check in (at the all star), grab a quick bite to eat after their long trip down to Orlando, and head off for Epcot (he decided on Epcot - i just gave descriptions of the various parks and he decided on epcot)....

on sunday they'll sleep late and then ride the monorails around WDW (checking out the varous christmas decorations etc.)...
    back to the all star for lunch and then in the late afternoon (whenever they allow you to enter MK) they'll head off for the MK....

then on monday (their flight is at 7:30 PM from MCO) they've chosen AK as their park for the day....

they've asked me to write up an itinerary for each park, which i'm working on now...

i'm having a great time.....almost as much fun as planning my own trip....

they've never ever been to WDW before (he's about 60), so it's really a trip of a lifetime for him....
    i'm really excited for them....

17. Miffy2003

There is something so exciting about someone's first trip to WDW!! I hope they have a great trip Beth :)

18. minniemouseuk

minniemouseuk Minnie Mouse wannabee

We went to MVMCP twice during December 2003 trip, but going just the once during our trip this year (on Dec. 13th).

The highlight for me by a mile was Mickey's Parade. Once MVMCP ends, it becomes the 3pm parade (replacing SADCT), but it's much better at night. Plus, you have the 'snow'!

# Toyland toyland. Dear little girl and boy land.

Oh no, you've started me off. That'll be me singing all day now :banana:

19. disneyholic family

my two must sees for them are the parade and holiday wishes......
    since you've done this before perhaps you can answer a few questions:

1. how does the free picture work? do they get one free picture of whatever pictures they've had taken?

2. where are the cocoa and cookies given out?

3. do you remember what the schedule was when you went last?...when were wishes and the parade?

4. were all the attractions open, or just some of them?

thanks in advance...

20. Miffy2003

Beth - this from what I remember of MVMCP last year, HTH :)

21. Miffy2003

Excerpt from my trip report, our MVMCP night... may or may not help!