Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party Vs Universal Halloween Horror Night...

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
Well time's creeping up on us and we've arranged nothing for our week in Orlando other than brunch at Chef Mickeys!:flower:

Question is do we "do" WDW or Universal for Halloween (we fly home from Fort Lauderdale on the 31st so will obviously need to visit the first week of our trip - 17th - 24th)

Any suggestions?

I'm guessing it will be just DD (16) and myself visiting Mickey but we can probably get DH to come with us to Universal:drive:

DD is a bit of a scaredy cat so not sure how "horrific" Universal is.........
Thanks for any ideas pixiedust:

If your daughter is a scaredy cat I wouldn't advise that she goes to Horror nights at US. I love all things horror and I found it frightening! My mum and my stepdaughter (14 at the time) had to run into the toilets to escape an actor chasing them with a chainsaw :scared:.

Although I would definitely go again and highly recommend it.

The fireworks and parade are fantastic at Mickeys. The atmosphere is fun.

I've never done HHN as I'd be too scared and it doesn't appeal - dont watch horror films. Minimum age is 13. They've got walking dead stuff and the purge this year. I've asked DH if he wants to go alone as he likes both of those but he doesn't.

I'm going to HHN this year! But i'm a total horror fanatic and everything I've ever read about HHN says how intense it it. This for me makes it more alluring.

However if anyone in your group is timid or frightens easily i wouldn't go. Its a lot of money to lay down if someone in the group can't hack it.

Hmmm, I know.
DD likes the idea but watches most horror type films with half a leg out of the door :crazy:

Not sure what we'll do.....I've had Busch Gardens suggested to me but we're only in Orlando for a week and we're struggling to fit in a couple of Universal and WDW days without having to drive anywhere else :tilt:

The second week we're in Fort Lauderdale / Pompano Beach so maybe look at what's happening around there too:rolleyes:

I'm in trouble for for the fact we'll be in mid air on the 31st coming home :rainbow:

Both parties are really fun for completely different reasons. MNSSHP is fun for dressing up and being a big kid & for HHN I'm terrified of horror films but apparently I'm a-ok about being scared in real life. That's weird isn't is? :rotfl:

Just make a list of pros and cons for each and go with what ever makes most sense for your family :thumbsup2

I did HHN 5 years ago, it was amazing. The houses are so well done and the actors so great. That being said, my friend and I did end up walking a really lobg riute through the park to avoid the scare zones. And skipped out early (ish) because we were too scared.

Shes doing it again this year with her bf.
I'm opting for MNSHHP instead!!! :rotfl:

I am not going to Halloween Horror Nights this year because I have been getting messages from Universal Orlando as a new annual pass-holder that I am not comfortable with. I am a little freaked out that this year's HHN is based upon The Purge, described as being based upon a 24-hour period during which all crimes are legal. I didn't see the movie, but the idea is very unsettling with me. Brutality is not my idea of entertainment. I am looking into the possibility of attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party because I have never been, and it sounds charming.

That being said, you might like Halloween Horror Nights more than you expect. I went in 2011 because I was working at Universal Studios at the time and could get myself in free and my husband could attend the team members' preview for $10. For that price we decided we had to go see what all of the fuss was about, even though we had been repeatedly warned that it was a very rough event with drunks who were hyped up watching very violent scenes. We had enough fun during the preview that I bought a "Frequent Fear" pass for my husband because I was later attending HHN's alone while my husband was working, and he admitted that he was rather jealous.

Maybe we just got lucky and experienced Halloween Horror Nights during a particularly mild year because I went through many of the haunted houses for the first time alone and then told my husband what he had to see. The one about the Victorian graveyard had me so in awe the first time I went through that the first words out of my mouth as I entered was "Oh, how pretty!" I am sure that the corpses were either very amused or perhaps a little annoyed that I wandered through the haunted houses applauding and telling them good job instead of being the scared easy target they may have expected when they saw me coming down the path alone. Yet the artistry was impressive, and the Victorian hearse with the falling snow was peaceful.

My husband was sorry that he missed the Penn & Teller haunted house at Universal last year, but I was a disabled Disney cast member who had no income so tickets to HHN's were not in the budget. If Penn & Teller were there this year, we would probably be going.

If you do decide to go to Halloween Horror Nights, perhaps pick which of the haunted houses you feel that you can handle. Some of the scare-actors do have good manners and will seek out the people who seem to thrive on the attention. I saw who was being hired for Halloween Horror Nights and watched some of them having their make-up put on before the event. My, God, they are usually just kids. It might help your daughter whom you say is afraid of everything to just keep reminding herself that the scare-actors aren't much older than she is and are probably just trying to earn enough money to buy textbooks for next semester.

I spoke to a former co-worker who has attended both Mickey's Halloween and Halloween Horror Nights and said that the difference was that while Mickey's was "nicer" Halloween Horror Nights was "more exciting". If you want to dress up for Halloween, Disney allows costumes while Universal doesn't. Disney has trick-or-treating, which adults wanting to be a kid again are welcome to participate in.

It's like Nemo Vs Jaws. Ha ha

MNSSHP is cute friendly and fun whilst HHS is scary and will quite happily take a bite out of you ;)

We did both in 2013 and I really enjoyed them for different reasons.

At Mickey's party it's fun to see other peoples costumes. Hallowishes and the parade are really good (I don't normally do parades). DH likes the candy trail and the atmosphere is just fun.

HHN is a totally different experience. It was mainly the Walking Dead the year we went and as big fans of the show it was pretty epic to see some of the scenes laid out. If I were you I'd do a little research into the houses, it won't give you a complete insight but you may get an idea of where to go. Queues tend to get a little long depending on how busy it is. They have scare actors walking around trying to freak you out but they are not allowed to touch you.

Nemo Vs Jaws is a great analogy - or maybe The Goonies Vs Halloween!

Both are fun in their own way, MNSSHP is a nice chance to dress up and get lots of candy, whereas HHN is a chance to walk round some really scarey houses and have the absolute bejesus scared out of you!

DD likes the idea but watches most horror type films with half a leg out of the door

I don't watch horror movies because I'm scared but yet I could attend HHN without any problem. My sister is the brave one and yet she had to be accompanied out of a very mild horror house by a CM in a theme park near Rome. You never know if/how much you'll be scared.

Well we're booked to go to the Horror Night :upsidedow
I'll let you know how we get on :groom:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter