Mickey + NYC = MAGIC - June 2, 2012 8-night - FINAL 2/23

We met up in the room and then headed to the theatre to see Twice Charmed. I really liked all of the shows. We had seen them all on the Magic in 2011 but they were still good.

After the show it was back to the room to change for formal night. My boys were not thrilled, but I really wanted to get some pictures.

In the atrium on formal night is the Captain's Welcome Reception. As we were waiting in the picture lines servers were walking around with drinks compliments of Captain John.

shutters3.jpg

shutters4.jpg

We still had some time before dinner so we chilled in the Promenade Lounge.

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Dinner was in Parrot Cay. Not my favorite place on Formal Night, but the food was good.

The boys finished up before us and they went back to change before heading off to their clubs.

Steve and I were off to the Walt Disney Theatre to see the adult John Charles Show. It was really good and the audience got into it.

After the show we headed back to the room to wait for our kids.

IMG_2356.jpg

It was strange being in before a 11 and 8 year old. Shawn got in right after midnight - the closing of the lab. The Edge had arcade night so we did not see Matt until 1:00. I should say that Steve saw him - I could not stay awake.

Up next: Brunch!

ok so how do you track the ship?
we are trying to figure out logistics, fam from VA driving in around 7am, will they see it dock? how early to check baggage so they can see times sq b4 boarding. then the rest of us want to get on and hope to have lunch.

Can't wait to hear about brunch!

We loved brunch. On our last cruise we did both brunch and dinner and they were both great but we both loved brunch more.

great play by play!

Thanks!

ok so how do you track the ship?
we are trying to figure out logistics, fam from VA driving in around 7am, will they see it dock? how early to check baggage so they can see times sq b4 boarding. then the rest of us want to get on and hope to have lunch.

I used the Ship Mate app and also the NY Harbor Webcam to track the Magic. On the day we boarded, the Magic sailed into the harbor around 5:00 am. The ship should already be docked by 7:00 am. I think I remember reading that the parking opens up around 9:00. I am not sure if you can drop off luggage with the porters that early though.

Another beautiful day at sea.

Started my morning waking up early again - but enjoyed the time on the verandah with my tea and book.

The boys slept in quite a while this morning after their late night out so I went up to Topsiders and brought some breakfast back for them. They ate and were off to their clubs and Steve and I headed to Palo for brunch.

We LOVED brunch on our last cruise and it was as wonderful this time as before.

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

Our server was Mo from Indonesia and he was great. We saw a few of our friends from our DIS/Facebook group also enjoying brunch.

After we were stuffed - we went back to the room to change and headed to the DVC presentation. We have been looking into DVC since 2008 so we know all about it but we had heard that you can get good deals booking on the ship so we headed down to Diversions to hear what they had to say. Since this is the 20th anniversary of DVC they were offering 20 points for every 100 points that you bought. Good deal. We ended up booking a time slot for later in the day to discuss more.

Next we went and got Shawn from the lab and took him for lunch to Topsiders. I don't think Steve and I ate very much at all - still stuffed.

We then booked a dummy cruise for 2013. I wish they had not changed the rules - I would have booked 2 dummy cruises. For anyone reading that has not cruised before - if you are enjoying your cruise and think that you might want to cruise again - book a dummy cruise! You get 10% off the price of your cruise, only pay a 10% deposit and you get on board credit based on the length of the cruise. If the cruise you want is not available - book a cheap 3-night "dummy" cruise. You can move this date to another date when it becomes available and you keep the incentives.

I did a little shopping for a bit. I was looking for a hat to wear at Atlantis the next day. Did not find anything that I really liked.

Next I met Steve at Rockin Bar D for another round of Bingo. This time we had success - Steve won $134 :cool1:.

After Bingo we headed to our meeting with the DVC rep. We discussed more and decided that we needed to think more about it and we would get back to her.

Met up with the boys and went to the show for the evening which was Villains Tonight. The boys really like this one but it is not my favorite. After the show we changed for dinner and were off to Lumieres. While were at dinner we surprised the boys with our plans for the next day. We had decided to keep the Atlantis waterpark excursion a surprise since they say we never surprise them with anything. They were both really excited.

IMG_2361.jpg

They went back to their clubs for the rest of the evening. Steve went to a Whiskey tasting and I headed back to the room to do a few loads of laundry. This was a good time to do it. I watched Breaking Dawn in the room while I waited so it was a relaxing evening.

Up next: Nassau and Atlantis.

Following along! I'm really enjoying the TR so far :)

I really hope they have 8-day New York cruises in 2014 (because I would love to do one, and visit home in the process).

Ok, I know I've been slacking in my trip report duties here but the entire month of July was crazy with work and fun. I'll try better to hold up my end of the TR.

(The boys) ate and were off to their clubs and Steve and I headed to Palo for brunch.

We LOVED brunch on our last cruise and it was as wonderful this time as before.

Oh yeah! Palo brunch is the best meal available on the boat. Dinner is darn good but brunch is amazing.

It did not disappoint. The Spicy, Strong Bloody Mary was excellent once again. The pizza, the seafood, the... everything! This is #1 on the Magic must-do list.

After we were stuffed - we went back to the room to change and headed to the DVC presentation.

Another year another DVC presentation. Not a lot left for us to learn. We just need to make up our minds to finally DO it. Like everyone else who has been looking into it for a long time we wish we had made up our minds a long time ago and purchased at a much lower price per point.

Next we went and got Shawn from the lab and took him for lunch to Topsiders. I don't think Steve and I ate very much at all - still stuffed.

Blech, I was definitely just lightly grazing at this point. I got my money's worth at brunch and nothing was looking good to me. Of the 8 pounds I gained on the cruise I blame 3 just on that brunch (the other 5 were alcohol-based) If you're a Weight Watchers member I think brunch worked out to roughly 6,479 points.

No, it just felt like that. Everyone knows that all Disney foods are Zero points.

Next I met Steve at Rockin Bar D for another round of Bingo. This time we had success - Steve won $134 :cool1:.

Thank you for skipping over my Victory Dance skills... move along.. nothing to see here.

After Bingo we headed to our meeting with the DVC rep. We discussed more and decided that we needed to think more about it and we would get back to her.

At this point we had officially decided that we needed to decide! I think this was progress?

While were at dinner we surprised the boys with our plans for the next day. We had decided to keep the Atlantis waterpark excursion a surprise since they say we never surprise them with anything. They were both really excited.

This was one of my most favorite parts of the cruise.. and leading up to the cruise. Not the actual day at Atlantis (more on that tomorrow) but finally surprising them.

Just a week or so before we left I found a "Top 5 Extreme Waterslides" thing online and sent it to Matt. It included the "Leap of Faith" where you shoot down through a shark tank.

We talked about all 5 and whether or not he'd be brave enough to ride them... he said he would.. but then again he had no idea he was about to get the chance.

When we told them at dinner he immediately recognized that the Leap of Faith was about 12 hours in his future. :) I took the opportunity to let him know that a shark once jumped from the tank onto the slide. I didn't want him to be too comfortable. :rotfl:

They went back to their clubs for the rest of the evening. Steve went to a Whiskey tasting and I headed back to the room to do a few loads of laundry. This was a good time to do it. I watched Breaking Dawn in the room while I waited so it was a relaxing evening.

The whiskey tasting was in The Cove and was pretty good. Some information about how to properly drink whiskey and a nice progression through the various styles. It was an intimate group I think 5 guys and one couple. There were a few pretty common choices and a couple of good ones.

Overall it was good. Worth the money and interesting but I wouldn't rush back for this one. Even though I like my Makers Mark or Jamesons on occasion I'm just not a whiskey guy at heart.

I was back in the room around midnight and the boys were right behind me.

I woke up this morning and went out on the verandah and spotted Nassau on the horizon.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

I got the rest of the crew up so that they could see us approach.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

We ate breakfast in the room and then went to meet up for our day at Atlantis in the Walt Disney Theatre. Our excursion was to meet at 9:15. I had gone back and forth on whether or not to do Atlantis through DCL or to book a room at the Comfort Suites. In the end we decided to do the DCL excursion since it seemed like less of a hassle.

After we were all in the theatre we headed off the ship to load the bus. On the way to Atlantis we had a nice view of the ships in port.

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

Once we were dropped off at Atlantis we were given a tour of the resort. This seemed to last forever and we were all getting hot. I wish we had just taken off on our own. We finally were released and we set off to find a locker.

The line to rent a locker was huge but I had brought our camera and I was not going to just leave it on a chair so Shawn and I waited in line while Matt and Steve went off to do the Leap of Faith slide.

The lines were not too long on the slides at this point and they actually made it back to us before we had gotten a locker. After the long wait we headed off for the lazy river. Let me tell you that this is no lazy river. It has some major rapids and Shawn was actually thrown from his tube. Thankfully Steve was right there to grab him.

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

The resort is beautiful but it was very crowded.

We hung around a did some slides and the pool for a while and then ventured to one of the food locations for lunch. With the excursion everyone gets a lunch voucher. With the crowds it took forever to get our food and then we only could find a table with 3 chairs so Steve had to stand.

After lunch we spent a little more time in the waterpark.

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

We were all hot and sick of the crowds so we decided to walk around a bit.

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

We next went into the aquarium which is also included in the excursion.

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

It was around 4:00 by this time so we decided to head back through the resort to catch the bus back to the ship.

The inside of the resort is as beautiful as the grounds.

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

After we got back to ship we stopped for a couple of pictures.

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

As we approached the ship the castmembers were passing out cold wash cloths for everyone. Very refreshing.

In the end - I am glad that I have been to Atlantis once, but I do not think that this excursion is worth it.

continued in next post:

After we got back to the room we all showered and I think we ordered some room service. We hung out on the deck and watched the late people running back to the ship across from us.

There as also a black out for a few minutes. I don't remember what they said caused it but it kept us in port for a little longer. The boys had went down to their clubs but Matt ended up coming back because they had closed the Edge.

The show this evening was the Comedy and Magic of Scott Alexander. This was ok. Some of the stuff he did was neat but I was not that into it. After the show Steve and I went to meet with the DVC lady again and this time we sealed the deal. 120 points at Animal Kingdom Villas. I'm not sure why it took us so long to do this.

I had to hang up our new magnet.

IMG_2443.jpg

We then went to AP for our Pirate Night dinner.

shutters5.jpg

Next was up to deck 10 for the show and fireworks.

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

The boys still had energy so they went back to their clubs for a bit and then we all called it a night at 12:00.

IMG_2442.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you were disappointed with the waterpark excursion. Love your pirate photo!

Yeah on DVC, YEAH on MO as your server - we had him for brunch AND dinner!!!! And even bigger YEAH on meeting for lunch tomorrow!!! Can't wait!

Following along! I'm really enjoying the TR so far :)

I really hope they have 8-day New York cruises in 2014 (because I would love to do one, and visit home in the process).

Thanks for following along! It was neat sailing out of NY. I hope they do it again also. I would like to do the 5-night Canadian cruise.

Ok, I know I've been slacking in my trip report duties here but the entire month of July was crazy with work and fun. I'll try better to hold up my end of the TR.

You have been slacking!

Oh yeah! Palo brunch is the best meal available on the boat. Dinner is darn good but brunch is amazing.

It did not disappoint. The Spicy, Strong Bloody Mary was excellent once again. The pizza, the seafood, the... everything! This is #1 on the Magic must-do list.

The Gorgonzola and Grape pizza was amazing.

Thank you for skipping over my Victory Dance skills... move along.. nothing to see here.

I should have gotten your dancing skills on video

Thanks for sharing. Sorry you were disappointed with the waterpark excursion. Love your pirate photo!

We still had a fun time. I don't think the excursion is worth what DCL/Atlantis charges though.

Loving your pictures!

Thanks!

Yeah on DVC, YEAH on MO as your server - we had him for brunch AND dinner!!!! And even bigger YEAH on meeting for lunch tomorrow!!! Can't wait!

Can't wait either!

Jumping in a little late here! How fun that you were on the same cruise as Brook, I love the green lei idea, that's fabulous!

I'm jealous of your 8 day. We looked at it and I couldn't convince my DH as (in his opinion)it was too many at sea days to look at "what, the east coast?" , NYC would be too expensive, yada yada yada. LOL. However, after doing the 4 night I think we ALL wished it had been longer even by just one more day, especially in comparison to the 7 nights on the Wonder in Alaska. I love the Captains picture with all of you, I don't recall that on either of our cruises, though in the case of the Wonder, we were late to the reception (a recurring theme with us as you'll see as my TR progresses) but I don't seem to recall a Shutters photographer on the Dream when we saw the captain either, though we did get pictures with him on our phone. My DH would have loved a formal one with all the details of the ship. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next cruise. Whenever that is, I'm with you, sad about the change in policy, we'd have booked 2 dummies as well.

Good to hear about your Atlantis experience, we ultimately decided it was too rich for our blood and I was terrified at losing our youngest with that river, he's prone to wondering as it is. Even though he is almost 12. :rotfl: Personally we all thought it would be great to just drop Nassau entirely as a port and hit CC twice.

A girl can dream, right?

Thank you We leave in 2 weeks. Can wait.

Have a great cruise!

Jumping in a little late here! How fun that you were on the same cruise as Brook, I love the green lei idea, that's fabulous!

It was great meeting Brook after reading so many of her trip reports. We had a great group on this cruise and it was so nice seeing each other around the ship.

I'm jealous of your 8 day. We looked at it and I couldn't convince my DH as (in his opinion)it was too many at sea days to look at "what, the east coast?" , NYC would be too expensive, yada yada yada. LOL. However, after doing the 4 night I think we ALL wished it had been longer even by just one more day, especially in comparison to the 7 nights on the Wonder in Alaska. I love the Captains picture with all of you, I don't recall that on either of our cruises, though in the case of the Wonder, we were late to the reception (a recurring theme with us as you'll see as my TR progresses) but I don't seem to recall a Shutters photographer on the Dream when we saw the captain either, though we did get pictures with him on our phone. My DH would have loved a formal one with all the details of the ship. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next cruise. Whenever that is, I'm with you, sad about the change in policy, we'd have booked 2 dummies as well.

I loved having the 4 at-sea days.

Good to hear about your Atlantis experience, we ultimately decided it was too rich for our blood and I was terrified at losing our youngest with that river, he's prone to wondering as it is. Even though he is almost 12. :rotfl: Personally we all thought it would be great to just drop Nassau entirely as a port and hit CC twice.

A girl can dream, right?

I agree - they should just drop Nassau and do two days at CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter