Miami to Orlando via Melbourne....Aussie needing advice

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
Not sure if this is the right place for this and this thread is a little O/T (but I'm hoping that the moderators will let it stay).

I'm doing a road trip from Miami to the World. I think we're going to have to go to Melbourne FLORIDA on the way up. For those Melbournians or anyone else that has been to Melbourne reading this, can you please tell me where to go for the best photo opportunity shots with Melbourne Florida signs and city landmarks?

My Melbourne AUSTRALIAN friends would never believe me otherwise.

Not sure if this is the right place for this and this thread is a little O/T (but I'm hoping that the moderators will let it stay).

I'm doing a road trip from Miami to the World. I think we're going to have to go to Melbourne FLORIDA on the way up. For those Melbournians or anyone else that has been to Melbourne reading this, can you please tell me where to go for the best photo opportunity shots with Melbourne Florida signs and city landmarks?

My Melbourne AUSTRALIAN friends would never believe me otherwise.

You'll find plenty of signs along I-95 as you go northbound and get closer to Melbourne - just make sure you pull way off the road if you're going to stop and takes pics

There's some signs in downtown Melbourne (so off of W. New Haven / 192) that are blue with a photo of a sailboat that say Melbourne and the town motto (The Harbour City). I couldn't find a photo on the web anywhere, but you should see those around if you venture off of I-95. And of course, on I-95 there will be the normal green highway signs that say Melbourne.

If you are on Route 1 in Melbourne, make sure to look for this too - love that roadside Americana:
FLMELorange_barbato2.jpg

There's some signs in downtown Melbourne (so off of W. New Haven / 192) that are blue with a photo of a sailboat that say Melbourne and the town motto (The Harbour City). I couldn't find a photo on the web anywhere, but you should see those around if you venture off of I-95. And of course, on I-95 there will be the normal green highway signs that say Melbourne.

If you are on Route 1 in Melbourne, make sure to look for this too - love that roadside Americana:
FLMELorange_barbato2.jpg

Thanks for the response. I'll definitely look out for the signs - and will probably also venture into Melbourne city centre as well. The signs sound cute.

maybe I can save ya a trip

these are at the edge of town on most major roads. I tool this on Wickham road on the north end of Melbourne at SR 404
100_0005.jpg

and this is at the west and of 'historic' Melbourne near SR 192 and US 1
100_0006-1.jpg

Thanks Capt BJ. I think we will make a trip and take some snappies with us against those signs :laughing:

BTW - What's my best option for getting from Melbourne to the World? Should I head west along the 192 or am I better off travelling north to the 528 and then heading west? I seem to remember traffic around Kissimmee on the 192 to be heavy and slow.

if you want scenic back roads you could do 192 but I go to 528 cuz it is speedy, I live just about midway 'tween the two. ... then pickup 517 and go south of the airport to avoid I-4

if you want scenic back roads you could do 192 but I go to 528 cuz it is speedy, I live just about midway 'tween the two. ... then pickup 517 and go south of the airport to avoid I-4
Nice place to live.

Thanks.

Folks, thanks for all your advise. I'm back and had a brief visit to Melbourne Florida, complete with pics. I liked the historic downtown area very much.

TR link in my signature below.

Folks, thanks for all your advise. I'm back and had a brief visit to Melbourne Florida, complete with pics. I liked the historic downtown area very much.

TR link in my signature below.

I had forgotten about this thread - thanks for the update! I hope you had a great trip to Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!