• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MGMs Little Mermaid Open Again

JeffH

Mouseketeer
We were pleased to find the Little Mermaid show at MGM open again last night (apparently its been open all week, based on the schedule), and extra pleased with the changes that were made. Like they recently did with the Beauty and the Beast show, there were a few changes made to make the story a little clearer. Ariel's 'perch' is much taller, now and her opening speech is longer now with the voice of her father added into it. The new 'bit' with her father talking to her at the beginning, replaces the spot where he talks to Sabastian (now gone). The puppets seem to move with more freedom, now, because they were coming up to the edge of the stage front, now, and Flounder actually was stuck out over and past the stage (we were in a new first row, and my brother could almost touch him as Flounder 'teased' him). There were new special (visual) effects in the show, as well.
These changes (to both shows), and the fact that they continue to fill almost every show show that these shows will be here for some time. Now I wonder when they will bring the new Aladdin stage show to MGM to replace the dearly departed Hunchback show?

I am so happy that they replaced those awful old lasers with new ones that look much better and are much easier on the eye. Everything in the show seems more vibrant now - I just wish they wouldn't have changed Sebastian's voice - he sounds just as awful as during SpectroMagic.

The part I always hated (that is now gone:)) was the bright strobe lights. I found them painful even with my eyes closed, before.

Sounds like a good thing happening over at MGM. My family always loved this show and especially the theater setting.

I miss the old Hunchback show, mainly for the entertainment that Matt the Juggler would provide.

Anybody know where he has landed?

Originally posted by JeffH
The puppets seem to move with more freedom, now, because they were coming up to the edge of the stage front, now, and Flounder actually was stuck out over and past the stage (we were in a new first row, and my brother could almost touch him as Flounder 'teased' him).

Actually, there were no choreography changes nor was the stage made bigger, so the puppets are in the same spots they were before...some of them were made brighter so they may seem like they are coming closer to the edge of the stage.

The guy literally stuck Flounder out and over (past) the stage 2 times during the song.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter