Mexican Riviera, safe?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by traveln4fun, Nov 10, 2012.

1. gunka

gunka DIS Veteran

We had two families - four adults, three kids. And I think we negotiated a rate of $100 for a van for the day. The van drove us to the beach at Las Caletas, we hung out there - in front of a beach front restaurant where they had chairs/loungers/umbrellas. We ate their food and had drinks and they took chair of us (separate bill from the taxi). From there we could swim/snorkel/play in the sand.
    When we were finished the taxi/van was waiting for us and took us into PV shopping district - we looked around for about 1 hour and then he took us to the waterfront/boardwalk/shopping area and looked around there. He then returned us to the ship.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pjacobi

pjacobi DIS Veteran

4. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

It was several years ago, but when we got off the ship at one of the MR ports, there were presumed soldiers there with large automatic type weapons. I'm almost certain these were people there to protect us or the port, but it freaked out my teen who just wanted to get back onto the ship...so we did.

I'm not saying the ports were or were not safe. We just followed the "go with your gut" theory and decided that if it didn't feel safe, we weren't going to go on.

5. jmb910

jmb910 Obsessed with anything Disney!

We went on the MR cruise this past March. For the PV day, we booked a day room at the Marriott. It had a pool and was right on the beach. We were able to take a taxi from the port to the hotel for pretty cheap.

Then in Cabo, we had originally booked an excursion through DCL for a beach day, but they cancelled it about 2 weeks before we sailed. So a friend of mine that we cruised with found this excursion:

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Medano-Beach-Club.htm

It was so wonderful. I would do it again in a heartbeat. They met us at the pier and then we took a water taxi to the resort. Lunch was provided and delicious, and then they took us back when we were ready. They even let the little kids steer the boat, which they all loved!

I did feel a little leery in PV, but Cabo felt like the Caribbean to me.

6. ACDSNY

ACDSNY I love my job! I love my job! I love my job!

This link has some good info it's the same company DCL uses.

Las Caletas in PV in only accessible by boat. You cannot drive there or take a taxi. I think the previous posters are mistaken in the name of the place they took a taxi to.

This Kid Adventure was awesome and our grandson loved it.

7. disneypoor

disneypoor DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey! DVC Gold

We went to Cabo in August and stayed for four days. We loved it and never felt scared! In fact, I left my camera in a taxi on accident and in about 45 minutes, the cab driver returned it to my hotel. We felt safe and walked around a lot. We will go back and take our kids next time. I was nervous before we left and did lots of reading to see if we should even go. In some of the stuff i read on Cabo, it said that if it was a city in the US, based on its number of crimes, it would be among the top ten safest cities in the US. Hope this helps!
    Susan

8. gunka

gunka DIS Veteran

ACDSNY is correct, I was mistaken, we did not go to Las Caletas, we went to Mismaloya.