Messed up 40th BDay Reservations

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
With so many other other things going on, it was somehow not on my radar to make dining reservations for my own 40th birthday trip. DH and I are going all by ourselves to WDW for 3 nights. We NEVER go anywhere by ourselves! This is quite an indulgence. Now I'm stuck with limited options. Help me come up with something!

We'll be there the evening of January 12th and I was able to get a reservation for Le Cellier at 7:10pm.

I am hoping to get Wishes Dessert Party reservations for Jan 13th. When do these open up? I don't want to miss it! We would never do this with the kids!
Maybe we'll do a sit down lunch this day at whatever park we decide to go to.

For my actual birthday, Jan 14th my dream was to go to California Grill (never been) but it will be CLOSED. Be Our Guest Restaurant was my next choice...NO ADRs available any of the 3 nights we'll be there. Any chance more ADRs will be made available later? I'm not excited about anywhere else. I'm not a seafood eater at all, so most of the signature restaurants don't excite me. I'm pregnant, so no alcohol will be involved. Victoria and Albert's is beyond my palette.

Le Chefs de France which I like is available any of the nights. I wish there was an earlier ADR on my birthday for Le Cellier, but the earliest is 8:45. I want something special that night, but I think I've blown it!

Any recommendations?

I believe the California Grill redo was pushed back so you might be in luck there. If not, I would suggest Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. The food is beyond wonderful and the staff is well-trained and attentive.

Just keep checking. Things open up every single day when people cancel. Especially check at the 45 day mark when people have to cancel packages.

I was able to make CRT for 8am on a 9am park open day 10 days before I left for a trip. You just never know when just what you want will show up.

I believe the California Grill redo was pushed back so you might be in luck there. If not, I would suggest Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village. The food is beyond wonderful and the staff is well-trained and attentive.

Weird. I tried making an online reservation for California Grille and it says it will be closed for refurb starting Jan 6th. But it also gave me times that I could make the ADR. :confused3

Where have you seen that the refurb was pushed back? That would be too good to be true!

I do like Sanaa too, but we've been there a few times and it's just not unique enough to qualify as the special experience I'm hoping for on my 40th birthday.

Just keep checking. Things open up every single day when people cancel. Especially check at the 45 day mark when people have to cancel packages.

I was able to make CRT for 8am on a 9am park open day 10 days before I left for a trip. You just never know when just what you want will show up.

That's a good tip. Thanks!

Your post brings back memories for me. My family decided to go to WDW to celebrate my 40th birthday too. It was the first time we were going to use our DVC membership, and we invited my parents to join us. Unfortunately, my family started getting sick the night my DH and I went out for the night. Then the rest of my family got sick, so my DH and DD were both sick the day of my birthday. My parents, DS and I still enjoyed a lovely 40th birthday dinner at The Brown Derby and lunch at Chefs de France. My biggest wish was that my parents wouldn't get sick too, and fortunately, they remained healthy. The best laid plans for my birthday...

The best laid plans for my birthday...

Awww, sorry.

I had forgotten about the Brown Derby though. That may be a good restaurant choice for us. I just don't know if we would want to go to DHS though. Since I'm pregnant, most of the rides I enjoy are out.

How about the Yachtsman "their onion pull apart rolls are awesome" ? If in the park how about Tutto Italia? I haven't gone since the big menu change but previous trips we ate there 2 times and really enjoyed the meal. Also I would keep trying the ones you really want and I bet something opens up for you since I am sendng you Pixie Dust pixiedust: I hope you have a awesome trip!!!

I would book something else "just in case," but keep trying for BOG, especially as the trip gets closer. When the ADRs first opened up for BOG, people were booking them like mad, but there will probably be cancellations as dates get closer and people change or firm up their actual plans.

There have been lots of stories on the Dis of people snagging a tough reservation even a day or two before their trip, so as the Imagination Movers say, "When you want to give up, when you want to give in - Try again, try again, try again!"

Jiko was my first thought for a special dinner, it is one of my favorites. Did you want to see the fireworks from California Grill? Then try Citrico's! you an see fireworks from there as well.

Also, while it isn't a place for dinner you might want to find a way to fit in an evening at Jellyroll's it is great option for a night without the kids!

Nicole

With so many other other things going on, it was somehow not on my radar to make dining reservations for my own 40th birthday trip. DH and I are going all by ourselves to WDW for 3 nights. We NEVER go anywhere by ourselves! This is quite an indulgence. Now I'm stuck with limited options. Help me come up with something!

We'll be there the evening of January 12th and I was able to get a reservation for Le Cellier at 7:10pm.

I am hoping to get Wishes Dessert Party reservations for Jan 13th. When do these open up? I don't want to miss it! We would never do this with the kids!
Maybe we'll do a sit down lunch this day at whatever park we decide to go to.

For my actual birthday, Jan 14th my dream was to go to California Grill (never been) but it will be CLOSED. Be Our Guest Restaurant was my next choice...NO ADRs available any of the 3 nights we'll be there. Any chance more ADRs will be made available later? I'm not excited about anywhere else. I'm not a seafood eater at all, so most of the signature restaurants don't excite me. I'm pregnant, so no alcohol will be involved. Victoria and Albert's is beyond my palette.

Le Chefs de France which I like is available any of the nights. I wish there was an earlier ADR on my birthday for Le Cellier, but the earliest is 8:45. I want something special that night, but I think I've blown it!

Any recommendations?

Some of my favorites were the Yachtsman and Boma. Wanted to try Jiko but not enough days in our vacation. The hibachi place in Japan was nice (can't remember the name). We also liked San Angel Inn. We did not like Sanaa at all and I thought we were adventurous eaters but I really did not care for curry. Everyone has their own tastes though.

Why would you not do the dessert party with the kids? Mine loved it and it was a nice "safe" area away from the mad crowds to see the fireworks while they snacked on yummy desserts.

I was also going to suggest Citrocos or Jikos for a meat option. Both of the restaurants are wonderful - though I find the Jiko restaurant more elegant. I love the Brown erby as well but find the food at either of the above restaurants just a bit better. I think you would like any of the 3 better than BOG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter