1. Guest - Welcome to the new DIS Boards! I will create a thread on the tech support board to talk about any issues we are seeing and another thread to discuss new functionality - Alex

Merchandise discount down to 10% for Premuim AP

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by wedance6, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Kona65

Kona65 Taking it slow and easy!

By your logic, America is not in financial trouble either. TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disney_Princess83

Disney_Princess83 New Member

I'm not saying Disney doesn't have financial problems. Also you're comparing a business to a country. However Disney certainly isn't hard up for cash. A country has no choice but to spend money due to it's people. A business can choose what it does and doesn't spend, especially when you're talking about making additions, renovations ect. And everything they do is about increasing profit. Even if they are doing something for guests comfort or to increase the "magic" it's to get guests to return and recommend the parks to friends and family.

4. Kona65

Sure, okay....TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

5. Disney_Princess83

No need for the slightly rude post :thumbsup2 If anyone doesn't realise that almost everything that Disney does is to make money.... :confused3 Disney isn't a charity

6. Kona65

Not rude, just felt like further discussion would not be productive. TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

7. Liljo22

Liljo22 New Member

This is it 1000%. Disney added a ton of discounts over the years while attendence was dropping due to the economy. It was never meant to be permanent. Once attendence bounced back, they were going to start taking these discounts away. They will keep scaling back until they find the sweet spot. I would look for free dining to be scaled back at some point.

8. davedmaine

davedmaine New Member

You don't understand how business works.. Disney paying $4 billion for Star Wars has nothing to do with anything.

9. davedmaine

davedmaine New Member

And read the annual report.. Then talk about Disney profits..

10. Disney_Princess83

:rolleyes: I never understand the need for people to be rude :confused3 I'll just ignore my Masters in Business and move on. :thumbsup2

11. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

I read a couple of those articles and they talked about layoffs in the studios and the online gaming division, not the parks. Not to say they aren't planning layoffs for the parks - controlling crowds via MyMagic + may mean they see ways to cut staffing at WDW - but the articles don't say that.

As for the discount...I did buy the $399 premium pass but I'm not too upset about the discount. I do get to visit water parks this year. It's been awhile.

Free dining, and the dining plan itself, have already been scaled back from what they were at their inception. I do anticipate more "scaling back"

12. Disney, like any company with multiple divisions will have some performing better than others. Disney is a healthy company. And yes they are reducing their discounts just as they stated they would last year. As a consumer I'm not excited but despite the governments insistance that we don't have inflation I'm pay higher prices for everything I buy now everywhere. As a shareholder I'm glad to see that Disney is doing their job.

13. davedmaine

davedmaine New Member

So what you're saying is that because they make a lot of profit, they should drop their prices or offer additional discounts? I guess you're not using that degree

14. KapBoy77

KapBoy77 Mouseketeer<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

At the very least if Disney decides to cut down own the perks and stuff (which I don't blame them at all for doing) they should at least start replacing the quality of the food with something better.

It seems by offering all these deals it affected the quality of the goods. Well then if the trend is to be reversed to how it used to be so should the quality no?

15. Kona65

TDBIASWS.:thumbsup2

16. Disney_Princess83

No. What I'am saying is that all good businesses reward long term customers or customers that spend extra money within their business. I'm more likely to spend more if I feel I'm getting better value for my money. 10% off for me personally isn't enough to feel like I'm getting a good discount on their product.

Their profit margin has little to do with it. However for people to Disney is hard up for cash, that's an entirely laughable point because it's simply not true.

17. FigNewton

FigNewton New Member

So now we are down to just the whole reply being your mysterious acronym?

18. KapBoy77

KapBoy77 Mouseketeer<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

For some reason that acronym reminds me of that cheerleader skit they had on SNL back in the 90's... :rotfl:

19. Missyrose

Missyrose New Member

:lmao: Actually it reminds me of that scene in Mean Girls:

"Stop trying to make fetch (TDBIASWS) happenen, it isn't ever going to happen."

20. DougEMG

DougEMG New Member

I bought the PAP at the DVC discount and it was a great deal. When the discount was reduced to 10% I wrote in saying that I thought the price of the PAP for DVC owners was great and hoped that they continue it next year, but that reducing the discount to 10% would most likely cause me to buy significantly less stuff. A 20% discount gets me to buy stuff I normally wouldn't, but the 10% doesn't. It's nice to have any kind of savings, but 10% won't encourange me to buy something, while 20% did. On the bright side my wife's and daughter's spending should drop significantly on the next trip :)

21. fla4fun

fla4fun New Member

The only motivation for purchasing any type of AP product, from the lowly weekday select up to the lofty premier pass, should be the admission to the parks PERIOD. Every year (and sometimes twice a year) they review the perks associated with the AP's and add or subtract various items. The merchandise discount has not been associated with AP's for very long, and for the first few years was only valid at World of Disney at DTD. From some of the posts on the various threads I've read, people are making it sound like something that has been in place since day one. That is most definitely not the case.

If you base your purchase of any AP on the perks instead of the admission value, you WILL be disappointed at one time or another when those perks change. I had an AP for years before they even offered AP room discounts. Do I enjoy the perks? Sure. But I enjoy them knowing they can change any time at Disney's discretion. I get my AP so I can visit the parks any time I want to, and anything else is icing on the cake.