Mental prep breakdown for Goofy..esp the full

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I am mentally prepping my mind for the full...because I have never done a full marathon before...and I doing the Goofy too. I have looked at the course map for the full and am mentally breaking it down like this:

mile 13 (because up till this point it would another half anyway)

Will be in AK and during this my mind might be thinking...OMG I am only HALFWAY through this!
I will be enjoying the short view of AK and when I exit I am thinking of mile 17which is less than 3miles away. Mile 17 is the start of the entrance to Sports Complex...and something wonderful happens at mile 20...but focus on mile 17 because its only less than 3miles from where I am at this point.

Mile 17 is the begining of the entrance to the sports complex...it gets better because mile 19 - 20 is highlighted, so I only have 2 miles before I get to mile 19...2 miles only.

Leaving mile 20 should feel invigorating I hope...but thats over so lets focus on the fantastic mile 22 which is only two more miles and that is the begining of entering Hollywood studios...only two miles until something great...

Leaving HS now at after mile 23 and LESS than two miles until Epcot entrance...less than two miles until the begining of the end.

Mile 25 is Epcot...the hardest and more rewarding part I can only imagine...probably feeling pain and wondering why they seemed to have moved that finish line further back...and that last 1.1 mile will really be like 5 miles...but the crowds...that has got to be a pusher! I know because I was part of that crowd last year and the runners would shout out a 'thanks' for the last bit of help. Its pretty much over by then...

Thats the mental plan.

The best part about this race is that if you can make it to 23 your home free. It's the best finishing 3 miles anywhere. DHS - Boardwalk - Yacht/ Beach - EPCOT - home.

As far as mental toughness goes make sure to prepare yourself for the finish. It's a quarter mile into the parking lot - which was odd for me my first time. I was like this just goes on forever! Keep that in mind.

Also the entrance to WWoS is a 1 mile straight road. Not much different from Osceola.

Oh....never mind....when I saw "mental prep breakdown", I thought this would be about how one is suddenly falling apart, not motivated, dreading the upcoming races. If that had been the case, I would have jumped right in! ;)

I am only part kidding. It is great to chunk things out. Definitely can help get through tough starts. My race strategy this year is to go from mile to mile, and stop and take pictures. I am telling myself that "this is the best year for you to actually ENJOY running at Disney" rather than racing for time (which I am prone to do when healthy and well trained)

Maura

Mile 21 to 22 has always been the hardest for me in full marathons. For some reason, that mile seems to take about 3 hours to complete, no matter what pace I'm running. :)

Having been through it before, I know mentally that it is a wall, and I have to push through and then I'll be close to the point where I can say "Only a 5k left". I have a set of positive thoughts ready for those times. Things like seeing my kids run the Mickey Mile for the first time last year, seeing my wife near the finish of her first half marathon, seeing my family near the end of my first marathon, etc. Those thoughts not only help consume the time, but they give me a shot of adrenaline because of how much those events mattered to me.

One last thing. I like to look for kids (not just my own) along the course to draw energy from. Any kid holding up a sign for their mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/... instantly puts a smile on my face.

The best part about this race is that if you can make it to 23 your home free. It's the best finishing 3 miles anywhere. DHS - Boardwalk - Yacht/ Beach - EPCOT - home.

As far as mental toughness goes make sure to prepare yourself for the finish. It's a quarter mile into the parking lot - which was odd for me my first time. I was like this just goes on forever! Keep that in mind.

Also the entrance to WWoS is a 1 mile straight road. Not much different from Osceola.

Not to be a debbie downer....but I got swept at the full 2009 at about 23.5 miles. I was about to go down the walkway by the lake where the DHS parking lot is. However, if you are not speed challenged you won't have to worry about it. Just a word of caution. I wouldn't say you are home free at 23 miles.

Anyway, I had a breakdown for the full but I like yours better goofeygirl! I think I might take it.;)

I am mentally prepping my mind for the full...because I have never done a full marathon before...and I doing the Goofy too.

Every person has to have their own plan, but having run this race, and many marathons, this is another way to think about it:

1. Miles 1-5 is the warm up. Just go slow. You will feel stiff and sore. Just relax, then celebrate at the Magic Kingdom. Have fun, high five people.
2. Miles 7-13 Now get down to business and get your pace set and celebrate the finish of this leg in AK.
3. Miles 14-20. Start thinking about the big party at mile 19.5. Think about what motivates you. This is probably the toughest part of the course. Celebrate the finish of this leg at the party. TRY NOT TO LOOK AT THE PEOPLE COMING BACK WHO HAVE ALREADY FINISHED MILES 20-21!!!
5. 20-23. A short, but tough part of the course. Start encouraging yourself that you are going to make it. Only 10k more to go. Starting thinking about running through Hollywood Studios.
6. 24-26.2 By this point you likely realize that you are going to make it and finish. Enjoy the nice running path and start thinking about the finish around the World Lagoon. When you hit 25, then open up the smile as you pass by all the countries and think about what you are going to eat after the race.

Another way to break it up is to think of it as:

A. Warm up (first 2-6 miles)
B. Tempo setting(miles 6-18 for me, get into your stride and relax)
C. The Wall (usually mile 18-21, concentrate on not giving up)
D. The Finish (miles 22-26.2) commit to a strong finish and victory lap.

Everyone should have a mental plan heading into the marathon. It simply makes the run go better. It can be as simple as running one mile at a time or a very complex plan that a runner looking to compete for the win may have – not too unlike the plan REEP outlined. Runners need some breakup of the event in order to chew it up.

BUT – that is usually not enough. What you will find as a first time marathoner is that your brain will say STOP thousands of times before your body really needs to stop. This is where those monotonous long runs come in. Take time this week and next to reflect on your runs…. What worked and what failed to work. Focus on the successful tools that got you through the runs and bank those in your current memory. As things start to get tough in the race, start playing these little thoughts and games that helped you through those spots that were tough in training. These tools may be as simple as breaking your un into small little bites… run to the next mile marker, to the next street light or to the next expansion joint in the road. Or, hanging onto the back of a runner 10 feet or so in front of you. Or drawing in a deep, cleansing breath. Many tools out there that work differently for all of us.

One thing to note for those running the back half of the Goofy as their first marathon. In a marathon, we all have that mile point where we all must push through. It generally hits in the 18-22 mile range. Because of the half the day before, there is a tendency for this wall to hit much earlier on Sunday than it will for the marathon alone. When hot and muggy it can hit as early as mile 13-15. If you notice that you are starting to feel the race that early, whoa up a bit and use your tool box to keep the legs headed in the correct direction. It is entirely manageable. Just something to understand may happen.

Another way of breaking up a marathon is into three segments. First 10 miles are nice and easy. Use them to warm up, get the blood flowing, and find your groove. Next 10 miles are for cruising. You're in the groove at your race pace and keep on going steady. Last 10k is when you look back at your training an tell yourself "Only 10k? Piece of cake after all those 18-mile long runs."

Not to be a debbie downer....but I got swept at the full 2009 at about 23.5 miles. I was about to go down the walkway by the lake where the DHS parking lot is. However, if you are not speed challenged you won't have to worry about it. Just a word of caution. I wouldn't say you are home free at 23 miles.

Anyway, I had a breakdown for the full but I like yours better goofeygirl! I think I might take it.;)

I am curious on this...what happened? Was it a physical breakdown or mental? What was it that got to you?
When you say go down the walkway by the lake, what does that mean?

Just curious.

Everyone should have a mental plan heading into the marathon. It simply makes the run go better. It can be as simple as running one mile at a time or a very complex plan that a runner looking to compete for the win may have – not too unlike the plan REEP outlined. Runners need some breakup of the event in order to chew it up.

BUT – that is usually not enough. What you will find as a first time marathoner is that your brain will say STOP thousands of times before your body really needs to stop. This is where those monotonous long runs come in. Take time this week and next to reflect on your runs…. What worked and what failed to work. Focus on the successful tools that got you through the runs and bank those in your current memory. As things start to get tough in the race, start playing these little thoughts and games that helped you through those spots that were tough in training. These tools may be as simple as breaking your un into small little bites… run to the next mile marker, to the next street light or to the next expansion joint in the road. Or, hanging onto the back of a runner 10 feet or so in front of you. Or drawing in a deep, cleansing breath. Many tools out there that work differently for all of us.

One thing to note for those running the back half of the Goofy as their first marathon. In a marathon, we all have that mile point where we all must push through. It generally hits in the 18-22 mile range. Because of the half the day before, there is a tendency for this wall to hit much earlier on Sunday than it will for the marathon alone. When hot and muggy it can hit as early as mile 13-15. If you notice that you are starting to feel the race that early, whoa up a bit and use your tool box to keep the legs headed in the correct direction. It is entirely manageable. Just something to understand may happen.

..and I am trying to not to have some wall put up in front of me...but I have a weird tendancy to...within the first mile or two of a race I actually feel tired and not with it - this is actually normal for me...I feel...what the heck am I doing? But I keep going...by mile 5 or 6 or whatever mile it is, that thought has long gone.

Now my brother did his first marathon in Miami and it was brutal. He did finish it...it nearly 7 hours! Apparently they did the full and half togther and the only difference in the route is that the half veers off to the left to the finish line while the full moves forward. He told me he wanted to cry! He so badly wanted to just waltz left and cross the finish line and call it a day but he knew that move would bother him for the rest of his life..so he moved on...tears and all.

Oh and you just reminded me to add something else to my list...a sweat headband...salty sweat in my eyes stings.

Wow! These are all great.
I'll try to remember them.
Running at Disney World is going to be WAAAAYYYYYY better than my boring side of the road training routes that have gotten me to this point.
All the entertainment and characters will help me stay away from that dreaded "wall". :yay:

I can't wait for next week and to get Dopey underway! :cool1:

I am curious on this...what happened? Was it a physical breakdown or mental? What was it that got to you?
When you say go down the walkway by the lake, what does that mean?

Just curious.

I had completely finished the mgm park and was exiting. I walked past the station where they give out candy.....walked down the main avenue and I even have a picture taken while I was walking past the 23 mile marker(one of the race pictures) . I walked out the front of mgm where the parking lot is to your right and there is a walk way to your left going beside the lake(I believe you run on a sidewalk between two sets of bushes ......but someone correct me if I am wrong because that has been 4 years ago). They put up 3 traffic cones and said that we would not be allowed to finish. Put us on a small van(that was sitting in the parking lot) and we were taken to the staging area. There was a security guard and several of the sweeper bikes so I am guessing we were the last ones....I didn't see anyone behind us? I asked why we were swept because even though I had slowed considerably I thought I still had that cushion (the time between when I crossed the start line and the last person did) but they said we were too far off pace and they had to reopen the roads. I told them that was a load of crap (because I knew there were no more roads between the place where they were sweeping us and the finish) but it doesn't matter. We weren't keeping pace so I understand why we were swept.

I was doing the Goofy that weekend. It was my second marathon. I did even splits on most of my back to back runs of 15 minutes per mile during training that year. I can pull up my Garmin history and see how far off pace I was if you would like. I do remember seeing the bikes on the way into MGM. I asked the guy about my pace and he said that I was 30 seconds ahead of pace. I was in a bad mood and talking about how terrible I felt but the guy was really nice and he said "Just keep moving, your going to finish". There was a flag waving at Mile 23 I think.

Mainly I think my block was physical pain.....however I am sure there was a mental component to it. I had developed blisters(on both feet) during the first half of the marathon that popped almost simultaneously at Mile 10 (on the ball of my feet.....some parts in the tender portion under the toes). I was basically walk/running on raw meat until the end. It sucked monkey balls. I am not sure if I can say that on here......but it did. I was in a lot of pain.

Mentally, I think I was good until my friend doing the race with me left me somewhere between 20 and 22 miles. I know you have to run your own race but it was odd mentally for me because she was a 17-18 minute miler during training and it seemed like she half "donkeyed" every part of training that she did. I guess I expected her to be the one lagging and me to be the one to help her get to the finish. Instead, I had slowed down after mile 20 and she said "Are you sure you can't go any faster?". I said no looked down and when I looked up she was gone. No encouragement....no words of motivation....nothing. I guess I was a little bit annoyed at that whole situation. At some point I did say that I didn't know if I really wanted to finish.

Since I have decided it is better for me to do races alone.

Mentally, I think I was good until my friend doing the race with me left me somewhere between 20 and 22 miles. I know you have to run your own race but it was odd mentally for me because she was a 17-18 minute miler during training and it seemed like she half "donkeyed" every part of training that she did. I guess I expected her to be the one lagging and me to be the one to help her get to the finish. Instead, I had slowed down after mile 20 and she said "Are you sure you can't go any faster?". I said no looked down and when I looked up she was gone. No encouragement....no words of motivation....nothing. I guess I was a little bit annoyed at that whole situation. At some point I did say that I didn't know if I really wanted to finish.

That is awful of your friend. I've always avoided running with someone because I never want to have the feeling of "am I slowing them down?/they're slowing me down." It's different though if you've been training together and planned to run and experience it together (especially at Disney, because of the different activities along the route).

Good luck this year (to you and everyone in the thread). Hopefully you'll have a better experience!

That is awful of your friend. I've always avoided running with someone because I never want to have the feeling of "am I slowing them down?/they're slowing me down." It's different though if you've been training together and planned to run and experience it together (especially at Disney, because of the different activities along the route).

Good luck this year (to you and everyone in the thread). Hopefully you'll have a better experience!

This is probably a good time to remind everyone who is planning on running part or all of the race with someone to discuss beforehand how you and your partner will handle situations like this. In general, most people agree to stick together as long as they can but recognize the fact that if one person gets hurt or really slows down, the other person is free to go off on their own to finish. Having this conversation before the race saves the awkwardness and hurt feelings of having it at mile 22.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone who is planning on running part or all of the race with someone to discuss beforehand how you and your partner will handle situations like this. In general, most people agree to stick together as long as they can but recognize the fact that if one person gets hurt or really slows down, the other person is free to go off on their own to finish. Having this conversation before the race saves the awkwardness and hurt feelings of having it at mile 22.

Agreed 100%!!!!! I did a half with a friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years...we reconnected and what was odd was that she began doing half marathons...when I last saw her she HATED anything physcial. Reguardless, I realized she was in better shape than I was and I told her if at any point she wants to take off - than do it - I for one don't want to be the person that holds anyone back and I don't want to be held back myself. So she took off. We met at the finish line. All was fine. It could have been me taking off and if I was able, I would have. The end result was only a few minuets difference...
Mentally take a note that its okay for the other person to move forward and you do your best...instead of holding someone back for your sake.

I had completely finished the mgm park and was exiting. I walked past the station where they give out candy.....walked down the main avenue and I even have a picture taken while I was walking past the 23 mile marker(one of the race pictures) . I walked out the front of mgm where the parking lot is to your right and there is a walk way to your left going beside the lake(I believe you run on a sidewalk between two sets of bushes ......but someone correct me if I am wrong because that has been 4 years ago). They put up 3 traffic cones and said that we would not be allowed to finish. Put us on a small van(that was sitting in the parking lot) and we were taken to the staging area. There was a security guard and several of the sweeper bikes so I am guessing we were the last ones....I didn't see anyone behind us? I asked why we were swept because even though I had slowed considerably I thought I still had that cushion (the time between when I crossed the start line and the last person did) but they said we were too far off pace and they had to reopen the roads. I told them that was a load of crap (because I knew there were no more roads between the place where they were sweeping us and the finish) but it doesn't matter. We weren't keeping pace so I understand why we were swept.

I was doing the Goofy that weekend. It was my second marathon. I did even splits on most of my back to back runs of 15 minutes per mile during training that year. I can pull up my Garmin history and see how far off pace I was if you would like. I do remember seeing the bikes on the way into MGM. I asked the guy about my pace and he said that I was 30 seconds ahead of pace. I was in a bad mood and talking about how terrible I felt but the guy was really nice and he said "Just keep moving, your going to finish". There was a flag waving at Mile 23 I think.

Mainly I think my block was physical pain.....however I am sure there was a mental component to it. I had developed blisters(on both feet) during the first half of the marathon that popped almost simultaneously at Mile 10 (on the ball of my feet.....some parts in the tender portion under the toes). I was basically walk/running on raw meat until the end. It sucked monkey balls. I am not sure if I can say that on here......but it did. I was in a lot of pain.

Of course that situation is different...for someone to just say 'bye' so far along in the race without it being discussed...I would be feeling like f-u if someone had been with me that long and then said 'bye' another words, you are too slow and I am leaving you now. Instead of sometime earlier suggesting it might happen.
Mental prepartion is a huge part of something like this. I am fearful I will get to mile 13 and think, if this was a half I would be finished...instead of thinking 'wow, I am halfway done with this'.

Those blistering feet though, you had the determination alright.

When you look back, are you angry at her or yourself? - for letting her quick move get to you?

Its something to consider for anyone who is doing this with someone else...you might get ditched...be prepared!

I agree with all of that 100%. We had talked about if somebody got to slow we had to do what we had to do. But I guess I just never thought I would be the one left behind and that I would have at least a few more seconds of encouragement before she blasted off. Honestly I don't think it would have mattered because I was in so much pain.....I don't think I could have gone any faster. Looking back on it, I don't fault her for it. It was her first marathon....I wouldn't have wanted to crap out just for someone else's sake.......but like FFigawi said you probably want to avoid the your too slow and I am leaving you discussion at Mile 22 of the marathon. I am fine now....but at the time it was very emotional (and it made me hold a grudge for a little while....secretly) for me because she is my sister-in-law and I had to hear her tell over and over again about the last couple of miles of the race to every family member imaginable.

I wanted to add.....sometimes I will buddy up with someone (a stranger) during the race. I think in this situation you don't have to have "the discussion". You just stay with them if is your pace and visit if the person appears to enjoy it........or you tell them "Good Luck! I need to pick up the pace a little bit but I will see you a little further down the course" and you leave them. Because you don't know this person and you probably will never see them again.....they expect you to run your own race and you don't feel bad when you have to leave them. This is what I prefer to do during races.

I am not that sophisticated, but I am toward the back. My usual planning is ,stay in the back of the corral so you don't get bumped around as much. Fireworks go off so start moving forward, realize that it is too crowded so the half hearted jogging isn't get you anywhere and walk quickly until it opens up. If you are feeling good go faster, if not, like last year go slower but stop for pictures and use the lines as your excuse for the longer finish time. Push myself so that my middle age bladder only requires one potty stop. See the choir and go, "Dang this is finally over" until you go around the corner and go dang it where is that finish line. High five a character, finish. Carry my medal because I don't want to get sweat all over it, curse the bus for having steps. Go back to hotel.

I agree 100% that one of the conversations that MUST occur when running with a friend or family member is that each and every one of us is responsible for their own race. Partners must agree BEFORE the race starts that at some point in time, there MAY come a time that I need to let you go, or visa versa. The one pulling forward usually feels more guilt by leaving the other behind in the cases where I have run with another.

The agreement should have some sort of safe phrase or something so the one pulling away knows it is ok. In my races where a friend and I have parted, it was usually the slower one saying I am slowing you down too much, get out of here. Though there have been a couple times where the faster runner said, I think I can make x:xx time, I am pushing off.

I can see where feelings may be a little raw if these conversations have not occurred. I just assumed that most folks did.

One year I ran the part of Goofy with Mr Rice. We ran the half together and we pushed each other up to the Christmas Tree in Epcot and I had to let him go. I was on the rivets and needed to back off, else the next day would be a complete disaster. We met up the following day and ran up to mile 10, I knew I was holding him up so I let him go just before MK. Funny, he left me like greased lightning... up to the mile 14-15 range. His IT band fired up and he was stopped at a first aid station trying to get his strap on ... He was idle for a few moments and I ended up passing him while he was roadside. We did not know it until out post race discussions.

I agree 100% that one of the conversations that MUST occur when running with a friend or family member is that each and every one of us is responsible for their own race. Partners must agree BEFORE the race starts that at some point in time, there MAY come a time that I need to let you go, or visa versa. The one pulling forward usually feels more guilt by leaving the other behind in the cases where I have run with another.

The agreement should have some sort of safe phrase or something so the one pulling away knows it is ok. In my races where a friend and I have parted, it was usually the slower one saying I am slowing you down too much, get out of here. Though there have been a couple times where the faster runner said, I think I can make x:xx time, I am pushing off.

I can see where feelings may be a little raw if these conversations have not occurred. I just assumed that most folks did.

One year I ran the part of Goofy with Mr Rice. We ran the half together and we pushed each other up to the Christmas Tree in Epcot and I had to let him go. I was on the rivets and needed to back off, else the next day would be a complete disaster. We met up the following day and ran up to mile 10, I knew I was holding him up so I let him go just before MK. Funny, he left me like greased lightning... up to the mile 14-15 range. His IT band fired up and he was stopped at a first aid station trying to get his strap on ... He was idle for a few moments and I ended up passing him while he was roadside. We did not know it until out post race discussions.

I agree. It has to be in advance. My aunt and I actually didn't discuss it in advance, but she knew that I wanted to stop for pictures, and that she herself would not be able to make the time if she stopped for pictures. So at the first character, she said I should go on ahead and wait in line and she'd keep running. I felt no guilt, she didn't feel like she was holding me back, and we both finished at our own time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter