Menieres Disease with severe vertigo

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by mom to minnie&mickey, Jul 1, 2014.

1. mom to minnie&mickey

mom to minnie&mickey DIS Veteran

I am in the process of planning a 2 week Disney vacation for next Aug 2015.
    There is a chance that a friend might be joining us who suffers from this. He has already lost most of the hearing in one ear but the worst thing is the vertigo. It comes on suddenly and severely to the point of him having to vomit and/or sit down for a bit until it passes. Some days he may not get symptoms and others have 3-4 episodes. Needless to say, the vomiting part is quite embarrassing to him especially in front of large crowds and tight spaces. I have told him about the DAS but since I am not even sure he would qualify I figured I would ask here so that at least he knows to prepare himself accordingly. Thanks for any insight as we have never travelled with anyone who is disabled.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

If he needs to sit down suddenly I'd think a wheelchair or EVC would be the best idea, so he can sit wherever and for as long as he likes. With the DAS he'd still be standing 15+ minutes in the FP lines along with walking to each destination.

4. Jacqui8374

Jacqui8374 Lover of all things Ursula

I have Meniere but thankfully most of the time I am in remission. You need to think about rides anything that spins is not a good idea or goes backwards. I don't think DAS is appropriate and agree with the above post a chair is a good idea if they need to sit down.
    Jacqui

5. bopper

bopper <font color=green>Which way to the Hundred Acre Wo

And bring a ziploc bag with you...they fold up, you can barf into them, and then seal them up and throw them out.

Skip Tea Cups and Prim-evil Hurl :)

6. staceywj

staceywj Mouseketeer

I agree with a wheelchair or one of those scooters. My oldest DD suffers from vertigo and we are bringing a stroller for her just in case.

7. tinkerpea

tinkerpea DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I'd want a wheelchair for a condition that has nothing to do with mobility, since it can be quite a burden.
    I have a condition where I also can suffer from severe dizzying sickness,due to having many big operations on my mastoid.
    I'd ask the doctor for some anti nasua medication like zolaf " ondansatron" it's a great long lasting anti-sickness which works great for this type of sickness.
    There also are other medications to look into, even if not taken in everyday life,can be great for short spells especially if trying rides that could effect and exasterbate the symptoms.
    Just to add I also find that just sitting doesn't always help you have to lie flat of have your head between your knees for these symptoms to clear, I don't think a wheelchair in a line will be any good, since you will have to be moving else block the line,as moving whilst in the chair when having these symptoms will defeat the point.