Memorial Day weekend company.. lunch ideas

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Jennifer823, May 24, 2010.

1. Jennifer823

Jennifer823 DIS Veteran

My in-laws will be staying with us for Memorial Day weekend. I have NO ideas of what to serve them for lunch! We plan to have a BBQ one night for dinner, and making chicken parm and spaghetti the other night, but what do I do about lunch other than just getting cold cuts and making sandwiches? Please give me some ideas! :scared1:

2. INdisbound

INdisbound Mouseketeer

What about a taco bar? Or soup and sandwiches? Paninis are pretty easy to make a step up from just cold cuts.

3. maggieusa

maggieusa Mouseketeer

sandwiches and fruit salad

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Topper

Topper The One True Duck

6. Justsyd2

Justsyd2 I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said th

Baked Potato and Salad Bar. Fast and easy!

7. Jennifer823

Jennifer823 DIS Veteran

Thank you :) I'm thinking maybe chicken salad, instead of cold cuts.. it seems we always have cold cuts. Maybe chicken salad sandwiches and fruit salad to go with? Dinner is easy for me.. it's coming up with the lunch ideas that's hard.

8. stinkerbelle's mom

stinkerbelle's mom <font color=red>Achooo!<br><font color=teal>Good t

I was going to suggest chicken salad sandwiches or tunafish.

How about Chicken Ceasar Salad or even better Chicken Cesar Wraps. The spinach wraps are the best for this. For cold cuts try the wraps again just for something a bit different.

9. MommaSnowwhite

MommaSnowwhite DIS Veteran

Chicken waldorf salad

10. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

I was going to suggest chicken salad! I have a Hawaiian chicken salad recipe with pecans, pineapple, dates and celery -- it's great to serve with sweet Hawaiian rolls.

11. drcmk

drcmk DIS Veteran

On a holiday weekend, we usually have brunch (i.e. a late breakfast once everybody rolls out of bed) and dinner, with maybe some mid-afternoon snacks. In my neighborhood, a mid-afternoon snack would be soft pretzels and water ice, but fruit or chips and dips would work, too.

12. drcmk

drcmk DIS Veteran

On a holiday weekend, we usually have brunch (i.e. a late breakfast once everybody rolls out of bed) and dinner, with maybe some mid-afternoon snacks. In my neighborhood, a mid-afternoon snack would be soft pretzels and water ice, but fruit or chips and dips would work, too.

13. Priorityonecb

Priorityonecb DIS Veteran

If you can't do "brunch" and then dinner...I like the chicken salad with Hawaiian sweet rolls and fruit idea! Yum!! The next day maybe a chef salad, or salmon ceasar salad and a loaf of great bread.

14. gigi1313

gigi1313 DIS Veteran

i was going to suggest a "salad bar" type meal w/lots of add-ins like cold cuts for chef, grilled chicken or shrimp [cook it when you are doing your bbq the night before!], hard-boiled egg, blue cheese, bacon for cobb... plus some seeds or nuts (if no allergies)... shredded cheese... fruit... various chopped veggies... avocado... etc...

another option would be to have a 'sixish' for lunch w/just snacky foods like cheese/crackers, veggies/dip, fruit, spinach or artichoke dip, bruschetta or salsa, etc...

also, hang on to any leftovers from most of the above suggestions to put into an omelette or quiche the following day :)

15. dblr

dblr DIS Veteran

I am from outside Phila. how about cheesesteaks I am sure you could get the frozen steak in the grocery store( not as good as the chip steak here) then let everyone add their own toppings.
    Sloppy Joe's would be a easy fix also.

16. bhoffman

bhoffman All for two princesses and a prince!

I always like a cold pasta salad bar. Boil a bunch of noodles ahead of time and put them in the fridge, then cut up a bunch of veggies and toppings (can do cut up ham, chicken or pepperoni too) and some salad dressings. Just set it all out and everyone can make it how they like. Plus, it's all done ahead of time so you don't have to waste your visiting time cooking!

17. Swimnoid

Swimnoid DIS Veteran

How about a grilled sandwich like a rueben? Makes it more special than just a sandwich but easy and tasty!

18. TxRabbit

TxRabbit DIS Veteran

I'd do entree salads and a simple soup like tomato. How about chef's salad, or cobb salad, or look up a salad at a place you like and do a copycat of it. You could easily have all the fixings prepared ahead of time... Got a bread maker? Make a nice loaf of bread or pick one up. That always seems to make a simple meal nicer.