Member Cruise for 2016

Nothing was mentioned about next year's MC. We asked a few CM's who indicated it will be announced in October and it would take place in the fall to celebrate DCC's 25th anniversary.

I asked Ken specifically about the gap in the Magic's schedule, of course he was non committal.

It's going to BE 2016 before they announce the 2016 Member Cruise. I need to plan people. You'd think that they would worry that the delay will mean that a lot of people will already have other plans in place... We've booked other NYC cruises, but we're open to moving to a MC if offered and somewhat reasonable...

When it's said that you have to pay cash for the cruise, I assume it means it has to be paid in full up-front (no deposits). But I assume a Disney credit card (for the six-month financing) works?

When it's said that you have to pay cash for the cruise, I assume it means it has to be paid in full up-front (no deposits). But I assume a Disney credit card (for the six-month financing) works?

I do not think so. It is a charter and you are paying DVC. I am pretty sure this was discussed last year and the 6 months financing did not work.

Bobbi

I do not think so. It is a charter and you are paying DVC. I am pretty sure this was discussed last year and the 6 months financing did not work.

Bobbi

Ok, but you can get the six-month financing buying DVC points, too, can't you?

Ok, but you can get the six-month financing buying DVC points, too, can't you?
Yes you do, but you are booking a charter, not buying points.
I am not 100% certain, but I sort of remember the discussion from last year. Call MS to get the right answer about the MC.

Ok...I just found out that we did get the 6 month financing for the August cruise...I was wrong.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly there is currently a gap in the cruise schedule for the Magic between when the ship arrives in NYC after the 2016 WBTA and the fall cruise that goes up to Canada. I asked about it on this year's EBTA but never got an answer.

It could also be a dry dock for maintenance of the ship.

We were on the August MC and Ken Potrock told us at an executive meet and greet that the 2016 cruise would be announced in November.

We were on the August MC and Ken Potrock told us at an executive meet and greet that the 2016 cruise would be announced in November.

So this seems to lend credence to the idea of an October MC, since it would give an 11 month lead time. I can't imagine announcing a Jan/Feb MC in November! (Although DVC often does things that make no sense to me - hello PVB)

Yes, I got the 6-month interest free financing when I paid for the Alaska MC last year. It was nice, because the end of that six months was just about a month before the deadline to cancel without penalty, so I felt like we had a good long time to be sure of our plans.

Last edited:
Yes, I got the 6-month interest free financing when I paid for the Alaska MC last year. It was nice, because the end of that six months was just about a month before the deadline to cancel without penalty, so I felt like we had a good long time to be sure of our plans.
After reading what you said, I asked my DH and learned that we did have 6 months to pay off the cruise. Did not know that!
Bobbi

After reading what you said, I asked my DH and learned that we did have 6 months to pay off the cruise. Did not know that!
Bobbi

Yes, I was glad to have that time. It was such a long way out, I was sure that a dance recital or graduation would get in the way, so I liked not having to pay until closer to the time, since it was refundable anyway. But the last cancellation day was my birthday, so it was like a birthday present knowing that we were committing to the cruise!

Yes, I was glad to have that time. It was such a long way out, I was sure that a dance recital or graduation would get in the way, so I liked not having to pay until closer to the time, since it was refundable anyway. But the last cancellation day was my birthday, so it was like a birthday present knowing that we were committing to the cruise!

Very nice!

I am a huge fan of the DVC member cruises. However, we went to Aulani for 6 nights, in fact we just came home on Monday. Aulani was so perfect for us, I am very seriously thinking of skipping the 2016 MC, in favor of going to Aulani in January or February 2017 to see whales. The money saved by not doing MC will pay for our plane fair.

Very nice!

I am a huge fan of the DVC member cruises. However, we went to Aulani for 6 nights, in fact we just came home on Monday. Aulani was so perfect for us, I am very seriously thinking of skipping the 2016 MC, in favor of going to Aulani in January or February 2017 to see whales. The money saved by not doing MC will pay for our plane fair.
Ooo, nice to have choices. I just bought an Aulani resale, and we're going for the first time next summer. Alaska was our first MC, and we absolutely loved it! I think I never want to do any other cruise! But the timing is usually bad for us, as all 3 of my kids are still in school.

We did love the whale watching in Alaska, I hope it's that good for you in Hawaii.

Come on, DVC, announce the MC so we don't have to keep having tangential conversation!! :)

I smiled when I read " tangential." Thought about my teaching trigonometry days!

Congratulations about your Aulani purchase. We will most likely be downsizing our DVC points in the upcoming years.

I smiled when I read " tangential." Thought about my teaching trigonometry days!

Congratulations about your Aulani purchase. We will most likely be downsizing our DVC points in the upcoming years.

It's funny how points usage ebbs and flows. We just added some more points, and will probably stay where we are. Wanted extra points to allow us to escape the icy north for a good portion of each winter...

It's funny how points usage ebbs and flows. We just added some more points, and will probably stay where we are. Wanted extra points to allow us to escape the icy north for a good portion of each winter...

Good for you!

Our plans have been in flux.....we have a "buyer" for our Ohio house since May, but as of today, they have not secured a mortgage. It seems unreasonable, but apparently they did not truly begin looking until very close to the original closing date, July 29! We had movers take our furnishings to storage because we thought they were ready.

Our plans were to move to FL, hence we would not need over 1400 points! Well, our patience has reached the end...we will be moving back to Ohio next week if things do not happen by Friday. Luckily, we have a second home in Cape May where I have recovered from my bilateral knee surgery in April. So, if house sells, we sell some points, if not we keep points and use DVC especially during months of January through March. However, the extra cost of Annual passes that include NYE means we will not be going to WDW over NYE as we have done and enjoyed for 6 years!

As I indicated earlier, if we could spend part of January or February in Aulani I would do so, even if it meant giving up Member Cruises to use the money for airfare,

Good for you!

Our plans have been in flux.....we have a "buyer" for our Ohio house since May, but as of today, they have not secured a mortgage. It seems unreasonable, but apparently they did not truly begin looking until very close to the original closing date, July 29! We had movers take our furnishings to storage because we thought they were ready.

Our plans were to move to FL, hence we would not need over 1400 points! Well, our patience has reached the end...we will be moving back to Ohio next week if things do not happen by Friday. Luckily, we have a second home in Cape May where I have recovered from my bilateral knee surgery in April. So, if house sells, we sell some points, if not we keep points and use DVC especially during months of January through March. However, the extra cost of Annual passes that include NYE means we will not be going to WDW over NYE as we have done and enjoyed for 6 years!

As I indicated earlier, if we could spend part of January or February in Aulani I would do so, even if it meant giving up Member Cruises to use the money for airfare,

People continue to astound me! I agree with you on the parks. I like them, but can live without them. Aulani is nice! We used to live about 15/20 minutes from there (which could describe most of the Island, lol)! DS used to love swimming in the lagoons. Paradise Cove was also our favorite luau to take visiting friends to because they made the most "generous" Mai Tais. We almost made the decision to remain in the Islands, but decided it was too far from family on the East Coast. It's amazing how many friends and relatives we had while we lived in Hawaii - many of whom disappeared when we moved to 'Bama! ;)

I knew there was a reason I liked you! I teach calculus. :teacher:

I keep thinking we REALLY don't need any more points, but it's so fun inviting family to join us. The family will probably come out of the woodwork to join us in Hawaii. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter