Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015-COMPLETED

I'm not a big dessert guy, but I was so impressed with the food that I had to give their sweets a try! Sue ordered the Sundae Sampler, while I took a swing at the Chocolate Pudding Cake. We were 1 for 2 as the sampler was out of this world, both in presentation and taste! All three items were great...not too sweet and very unique. My cake wasn't bad, but as a chocolate lover, it didn't do much for me. The meal ended with some coffee and small talk. I took this time to shoot a few photos of the restaurant before heading out to the balcony for the fireworks show.

Disney's California Grill 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The weather was perfect for viewing outside. Very clear night, a little chilly, but nothing a windbreaker couldn't handle. I tried taking some shots, but even with a telephoto lens, it was hard to get anything decent. I did take one of Erin and Jesse just so they can say they were there...

Fireworks from the Terrace @ Disney's California Grill by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's California Grill 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
After leaving the Contemporary, we all headed back to our respective hotels to get ready for our 1st full day at a Disney park. Magic Kingdom ended up being our destination, mainly because that was the day we were able to secure reservations for lunch at Be Our Guest. Fast passes were the order of the day as we got into the park, with the 1st two at Pirates and Splash Mountain. Our 3rd was for Seven Dwarves Mine Train, but that wasn't until 8:00 in the evening (the earliest would score online).

Walking though the turnstiles for the first day at a Disney park always strikes me as a bit surreal. It seems like you plan and wait for eons (in our case it was almost 16 months), and suddenly the moment comes when you're actually standing in theme park nirvana. This feeling is probably lost on annual pass holders and locals, but for a guy from Hawaii, it ranks right up there with buying your first car, turning 21, and sitting in a dark theater waiting for "The Avengers" to start...LOL! Sue had decided to sleep in a little late, so I entered into MK by myself, planning to meet her later in the morning.

While a lot of folks are scurrying to rides and attractions, I like to stroll through Main Street and peruse the shops. Along the way I'll grab a hot cup of coffee with a pastry and fine some out of the way area to sit down and soak in Disney. From there I'll head to Cinderella's castle and let fate (actually more like my fast passes) decide which land I'll journey to...

Cinderella's Castle-An Afternoon Peek 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Main Street Confectionary @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candy Treats Detail on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Freshly Baked Goods on Main Street by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Horse & Trolley on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Horse & Trolley on Main Street USA 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Wreath on Main Street USA by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Because we were in the Magic Kingdom, this meant trying one of those cinnamon waffles from Sleepy Hollow restaurant. So neither fate nor fast pass could override my stomach's directive to head to Liberty Square! The dessert was hot and crispy and dusted with a generous sprinkling of sugar cinnamon powder...maybe too generous! I was cleaning that stuff out of every crevice known to man.

Liberty Square-Frontierland Sign @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Liberty Square Entrance @ Disney's Magic Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sleepy HollowFunnel Cake with Cinnamon by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Taking advantage of Liberty Square, I headed to a showing of The Hall of Presidents. The Lincoln show at Disneyland is one of my favorites (and no, I don't mean as a snooze break), so having all the head chiefs on one stage was nirvana. In the past, I had always wished I could snap a photo of this attraction, but when cast members would say "No flash photography", I had assumed it meant no photography period. This is because I didn't think it possible to take this picture without using a flash! After learning it was possible using "fast" glass and manual settings, I was like a hungry bear ready to attack a thick juicy steak!

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Hall of Presidents @ Liberty Square 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:

After the show, I moseyed on back to Main Street to meet Sue. I ran into the Main Street Trolley singers performing Christmas songs decked out in their holiday outfits. It's this attention to detail that makes Disney the undisputed king of theme parks.

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 12 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Holiday Performers @ Magic Kingdom 2015 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue snuck up me during the musical numbers. Wives are like ninja warriors sometimes, silent, swift, and sweet. After my heart attack had subsided, we went to redeem our fast pass for Pirates of the Caribbean. I always feel short changed on the WDW version. It's missing the whole Louisiana bayou queue which is a key element at the Disneyland attraction. The jump from present time to a past filled with pirates is very jarring and abrupt. Those early missing scenes are not there for window dressing. Everything Disney does has a specific purpose that contributes to a total immersive experience. This helps the audience except the transitioning in a smooth and natural manner. POC is such a key E-ticket ride that I cannot understand why it wasn't given the full blown treatment (space could not have been an issue). I feel the same when I ride Tower of Terror at DCA.

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean @ Disney's Magic Kingdom 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
A little after noon, we made our way to Fantasyland and the Be Our Guest restaurant. The place was packed with people waiting for their names to be called. We had about a 15 minute wait which gave me the chance to check out the details at the entrance, as well as (of course) snap a few photos. After our number was up, we went inside to the self ordering podiums loaded with the menu. I ordered the carved roast beef sandwich and Sue went with the Braised Pork. Not sure what the others ordered but I know one of them had the turkey sandwich. Inside was even more amazing with the ballroom and its artistic ceilings the highlight of the restaurant. We were assigned a table in one of the side locations...the one with Beauty and the Beast figures dancing in the middle of the room. Much to my dismay, I had the wrong settings on my camera so failed to get any decent shots, other then a few grainy photos. Both my wife and my meals were surprisingly bland and mediocre. Not sure what it is that failed to hit the mark (maybe we were both still remembering last night's dinner at California Grill), but we were a surprising 1 of 3 in terms of a great meal (Beaches & Cream being the other disappointment). Not to worry, as this was the last time a Disney meal would leave us less than satisfied. Nonetheless, I still had a great time and I would go back again with no questions asked. The Imagineers really outdid themselves putting this restaurant together. The lighting, the design, the scope, the colors....no stone was left untouched.

Be Our Guest Restaurant Entrance Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Entance @ Park Closing by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & the Lion @ Be Our Guest Restaurant 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Her True Love @ Be Our Guest Restaurant Entrance by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gargoyle Lookout @ Be Our Guest Restaurant 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Megan @ Be Our Guest Restaurant 2 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Be Our Guest Restaurant Detail 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
After we finished eating, we all took the time to explore the restaurant and to check out the other dining areas. We then decided to pose in front of the Christmas trees. This one is of Jesse, Erin, Colleen, and Kelly. Unfortunately the one of Sue and I came out blurry (the focus was behind us). That's a common occurrence when handing off cameras sometimes...

The Shishido Clan @ Be Our Guest Restaurant Ballroom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From there, we decided to head to Gaston's Tavern for some LeFou's brew (our dessert for lunch, so to speak)! On the way we passed Maurice's Popcorn cart which I dug because it reinforces that you're in Belle's world. Nobody does immersive theming like Disney (although Universal is giving them a run for their money with the Harry Potter areas). Gaston's turns out to be another winner. I love this little place almost as much as Be Our Guest. The fountain of LeFou and Gaston is to this eatery, like Cinderella castle is to Fantasyland, or the Tree of Life to Animal Kingdom. So iconic and eye catching...you are automatically drawn to this fountain. The line to meet Gaston was so long that we sadly passed. Looking back, I really regret that decision (so no pics of Gaston in person). Once we had LeFou's brews in hand, we found a table inside to sit down, relax, and enjoy the A/C. I like both this drink and the frosty Butter Beer at Hogsmeade, but I give the edge to LeFou's because it's slightly less sweet (mileage may vary). I took a few shots, but the dining area was very crowded. I did go back later that night to photograph the fountain at night. When I peeked into the tavern, it was totally empty except for a few workers cleaning up. I asked if it would be okay to set up my tripod and take some pics. The staff was totally cool with that and told me to have at it!

Gaston's Tavern Statue Detail 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Statue Detail 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Fisheye View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Service Counter by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Cast Member Ready to Serve by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Gaston's Tavern Dinning Area by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I am stuck inside from our 4th day without school due to the blizzard so I have been reading trip reports. I had to comment on your fantastic pictures. I don't think I have seen better photos of Disney anywhere. Can't wait to keep reading/looking at pictures. Thank you for bringing a bit of Disney magic during the dig out!

I am stuck inside from our 4th day without school due to the blizzard so I have been reading trip reports. I had to comment on your fantastic pictures. I don't think I have seen better photos of Disney anywhere. Can't wait to keep reading/looking at pictures. Thank you for bringing a bit of Disney magic during the dig out!

Thank you for the kind comments! I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch of weather. Hope it turns better for you soon. Please stay along with me for the rest of my report!

After we had finished up at Gaston's, we made our way to Splash Mountain for our fast pass ride. For the first two days at Orlando, we were blessed to have beautiful weather. Sunny but breezy during the day and pleasantly cool in the evenings. I had packed a couple of jeans and long sleeved wear, but cargo shorts and t-shirts were my choice of dress for the majority of the trip. After stopping to take a photo of the exterior, we headed inside for one of my favorite rides.

Splash Mountain Exterior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I really like Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear, and Brer Fox even though I've never seen "Song of the South". It maybe their limited exposure and the controversy surrounding the characters that make them all the more fascinating. Combine that with a catchy song like Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah and it's small wonder that this ride is a classic E-Ticket attraction. The highlight for me, other than the drop, is the finale with the amazingly lit riverboat and its singing passengers. The colors of the setting sun casting a warm orange glow against the horizon is pure Disney magic...

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Splash Mountain Ride Interiors 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I cannot for the life of me remember where we had dinner that evening. I did manage to have a late snack from Sleepy Hollow so maybe I ended up bypassing an evening meal due to a spoiled appetite. I ordered the waffle with cinnamon which was delicious (albeit a bit messy...that powdered sugar was everywhere).

Sleepy HollowFunnel Cake with Cinnamon by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our last fast pass was the much anticipated Seven Dwarves Mine Train. It's a fun ride, not on the level of Big Thunder Mountain, but enjoyable enough. The scenes of the dwarves are well done, although very short. I actually like the ending the best with a peek into Snow White's cottage. I was lucky enough to be in the front cart for two of the four times, so I had a chance to take some decent shots of the Old Hag.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Ride Outside View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Mine Scene 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train Mine Scene 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train White Old Hag (Daytime) by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Seven Dwarves Mine Train White Old Hag (Nighttime) by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I had planned on staying past the park closing to try and get some isolated photos, but we were pretty much beat by the end of the day. I decided to hit the sack at a decent hour and get ready for our visit to Animal Kingdom in the morning. It was going to be a park hopping day as we needed to return to the Magic Kingdom in the evening for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party.

I know I am echo-ing what everyone else has said but-WOW, your photos are just incredible! I cant wait for more. We did MVMCP this past Dec and the first shot of Main Street totally captures the joyous celebratory atmosphere that you get walking toward the castle. In two years, I will be celebrating a milestone birthday in December and the plan is to do it at WDW but I might just add in an extra day to tour the various hotel decorations as you guys did, that is a fantastic idea and I thank you for the inspiration.

Thank you for the kind comments Alohamom! I take it you're a fan of Hawaii? I'll be heading to Disneyland just about the time you'll be staying at the Aulani. Celebrating your birthday at WDW is about the best possible way to celebrate a milestone! And yes, touring the hotels during Christmas was pretty amazing...

Thank you for the kind comments Alohamom! I take it you're a fan of Hawaii? I'll be heading to Disneyland just about the time you'll be staying at the Aulani. Celebrating your birthday at WDW is about the best possible way to celebrate a milestone! And yes, touring the hotels during Christmas was pretty amazing...

LOVE HAWAII! I have been going to the islands on a regular basis since I was 10. We were married on Big Island in the Waikoloa resort and even almost moved to Lihue, Kauai at one point. My hubby was offered a job that he ultimately turned down. I often think what our lives would be like if we had gone, especially for our children who were very young at the time. We might just pass each other in the air, I will send you a shaka out the plane window, LOL!

That is awesome aloha mom! My wife and I bought a home in Waimea (Parker Ranch) on the Big Island in 2012, but I've been visiting that island regularly for the last 30 years. I often stop off at the Waikoloa for an Iced Tea or Coffee from Starbucks if I'm heading out to Kona. I also spent a lot of time during my college years in Lihue! My girlfriend was from there so I would visit her quite frequently, especially during the summer months. Here are a couple of photos from Aulani I took when I just started learning how to shoot manual. Very oversaturated, but it looked good at the time...haha!

Disney's Aulani Resort & Spa Lobby-Ocean View by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aulani 08:2015 22 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Aulani 08:2015 14 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

And now back to our regularly scheduled trip report (sorry for going a bit off track there)! Where was I...oh yes, Tuesday morning was earmarked for Animal Kingdom. Our last visit there was in 2004 when Expedition Everest was just a metal frame skeleton. Sue and I had done the park in about a half day and didn't go back for the rest of our WDW stay. While I enjoyed the live animal exhibits, I really do prefer seeing Imagineer ingenuity in action, so the animals, while nice, didn't really hold my attention. I figured a 1/2 day today and another park split later in the week would be more than sufficient. Boy, was I wrong! For some reason, my wife and I fell in love with AK and ended up rerouting our plans to spend more time in this beautiful park. And it wasn't just the addition of Everest that made the park so fun, it was Harambe Market, DiVine, the food, and just the overall feel of the park.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Entrance Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom Box Office by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Tree of Life @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest Landscape @ DIsney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter