Meet your mate

zealandsmom

DIS Veteran
What day does this usually fall? How many couples usually request? I'd love to do this with DH. He would be embarrassed of course. What does the winner get?

It is usually on the first night. They ask for volunteers for 3 categories - newlywed, over 10 yrs or so, and a couple who has been married the longest. It is like the newlywed game where one spouse answers questions while the other is out of the room and then has to come back and match their answer.

During the time when your spouse is answering the questions, you are given a drink (loosens you up to say what you really think!). At the end, the winners might be given soemthing special - maybe a gc to the spa - but they all get something. My parents did it and they received a DCL travel cup with DCL winner on it.

Thankfully, I was tired the first night and went to bed early. DH went to the lounge with my parents and they were picked for the show. I'm really glad I wasn't there. DH said he is tramatized for life :lmao: He heard things he didn't need to know.:rotfl2:

It's really fun, as long as your parents are not up there!

Hopefully you've met him before you buy his cruise passage.

I think you mean the Match Your Mate game in the night club area. It used to be always the first night, but recently has moved around. Check your Navigator.

The number of couples wanting to participate varies from one cruise to another. They try to get a very recently married, longest married, and then something in the middle. Recently married ranged from a few hours to a year depending on the crowd. Longest married can be 25 years or 60 years (some of the really old people are hysterical.

kcashner said:
Hopefully you've met him before you buy his cruise passage.

I think you mean the Match Your Mate game in the night club area. It used to be always the first night, but recently has moved around. Check your Navigator.

Longest married can be 25 years or 60 years (some of the really old people are hysterical.

Yes, hopefully before! But we know what you meant!

On our last two cruises on the Wonder, it was on the last night so make sure you check.

I agree that the old couples can be very cute and sweet or absolutely hilarious! The couple in the middle is decided via competition - they play a song and you all have to dance, then the audience picks. The two outliers are by time alone.

It's tied for my favorite activity with So You Think You Know Your Family.

We did this on the 9/29 Fantasy Western. It was the first night. We were the longest married couple and another DIS member got to be the middle couple. The newlyweds were recently (two weeks before) married Marines who met in Iraq. We kept running into them all cruise long and they always had their wedding eats on.

The other DIS couple won, but we all received day passes to the spa, which was pretty cool.

We did this on the 9/29 Fantasy Western. It was the first night. We were the longest married couple and another DIS member got to be the middle couple. The newlyweds were recently (two weeks before) married Marines who met in Iraq. We kept running into them all cruise long and they always had their wedding eats on.

The other DIS couple won, but we all received day passes to the spa, which was pretty cool.

The other DIS couple here! It was really fun. All the couples got passes to the Rainforest Room. We also received a bottle of champagne. We were the ones that had to dance for a spot. It helped that DH had one of those cheesy Hawaiian shirts on.

Ikaikalani said:
Has anyone ever seen same sex couples participate?

Yes. Ended up being very good cruise friends. They were hilarious and fit right in. Very cute attitudes. ;)

Our last cruise they only wanted people married LESS than 10 years. It was fun to watch.

Looking back I wish we had volunteered(they had trouble getting people to), but it was fun to watch.

Match Your Mate is usually the first night of the cruise. But if it's not listed on your Navigator for the first night, swing by Guest Services and ask. Or ask the Assistant Cruise Director/Club Host CM what night it will be on, as they are the Game Show Host, so they should be able to tell you what night.

HTHs! :thumbsup2 This is one of my fave things to do w/ DH on every cruise! We LOVE to go and watch and play along in the audience. ;) Definitely a NOT MISS game show for us! :)

goeva said:
What do you mean you had to dance for a spot? Like a dance competition? :dance3:

They pick the most enthusiastic couples and that means jumping out of your seats, dancing, hollering and anything that will get the Club Host's attention.

Match your Mate is a lot of fun to watch!

MJ

What do you mean you had to dance for a spot? Like a dance competition? :dance3:

Well, there were a few couples that jumped around a lot. So they had three couples come up on the dance floor and do a dance off for the final spot. We all got about a minute or so to dance our butts off. Then the crowds determined by applause who would be the third couple. Never have I seen DH dance like that before. He had a bunch of his family there and he really wanted to get on stage.

They pick the most enthusiastic couples and that means jumping out of your seats, dancing, hollering and anything that will get the Club Host's attention.

Match your Mate is a lot of fun to watch!

MJ

I beg to differ..we got up there simply by being married...forever...DH was back peddling and looking for an emergency exit the entire time. I have never laughed so hard in my life.....we got not one single question right....but I am certain we provided the best entertainment anyone had seen in ages. For the entire rest of the 7 day cruise people were coming up to us introducing themselves..it was really fun...we recently went on a 3 day cruise and my DH informed me he would never speak to me again if I made him play again....thankfully there as another couple that somehow has been married longer than us...if you can play it's super fun!!!Do whatever you can to get picked!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

On most of our cruises, they took the longest married (or longest who held up a hand), most recently married, and then picked 3 in the middle. Those 3 couples did about a 15 second "dance off" and one was selected based on applause.

Actually, how the couples get picked is pretty much up to the club host.

This game is fantastic!

My girlfriend and I were the third couple on our cruise. They took the couple married the longest, the shortest, and then any other couples who wanted to dance-off for the third spot. Let's just say it was a dance to remember ;)

We didn't win, but we all got day passes to the Rainforest Room. The winner also received a bottle of champagne. Note that our RR passes were not valid for Days at Sea though.

The community it builds is great, we kept running into the longest married couple on the cruise and Castaway Cay, and the newlywed couple was actually at our dinner table all trip long! The host recognized us as well, and wasn't afraid to resurface the night's responses!

HIGHLY recommend participating to everyone!

Thankfully, I was tired the first night and went to bed early. DH went to the lounge with my parents and they were picked for the show. I'm really glad I wasn't there. DH said he is tramatized for life :lmao: He heard things he didn't need to know.:rotfl2:

It's really fun, as long as your parents are not up there!

This is one of the best responses I have ever read! I can only imagine!! :rotfl:

LOVED IT!

This game is fantastic!

My girlfriend and I were the third couple on our cruise. They took the couple married the longest, the shortest, and then any other couples who wanted to dance-off for the third spot. Let's just say it was a dance to remember ;)

We didn't win, but we all got day passes to the Rainforest Room. The winner also received a bottle of champagne. Note that our RR passes were only valid on Days at Sea though.

The community it builds is great, we kept running into the longest married couple on the cruise and Castaway Cay, and the newlywed couple was actually at our dinner table all trip long! The host recognized us as well, and wasn't afraid to resurface the night's responses!

HIGHLY recommend participating to everyone!

Yes, we found that out! You are a bit of a celebrity after competing in Match Your Mate. It was fun, but also a bit weird having people recognize you and mention your responses. I think DH has decided not to volunteer next time. ;)

On most of our cruises, they took the longest married (or longest who held up a hand), most recently married, and then picked 3 in the middle. Those 3 couples did about a 15 second "dance off" and one was selected based on applause.

Actually, how the couples get picked is pretty much up to the club host.

That is how we were chosen. It is completely out of DH norm to even raise his hand to volunteer for something like this. But I had been complaining earlier that day that DH never participates or volunteers for anything. He knew I really would like to try to be one of the couples. So when they said something about the couple who has been married the longest he jumped out of his seat and screamed ME!!!!! He had on a Tommy Bahama flowery shirt on and pretty much stood out like a sore thumb. We weren't married the longest, only 32 years. So when it came time for the dance off, we were picked. We were also voted most likely to star in a reality show!

eva said:
Yes, we found that out! You are a bit of a celebrity after competing in Match Your Mate. It was fun, but also a bit weird having people recognize you and mention your responses. I think DH has decided not to volunteer next time. ;)

Definitely an ice breaker and great way to meet people throughout the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter