Medical Cannabis...seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passenger Stu

Earning My Ears
Hi Fellow WDW Fans,

I'm getting the blessing of visiting the WDW Resorts in September for 5 days. We're staying in the Caribbean resort, and we're all counting down the days.

I have an autoimmune condition that comes with seizures. I'm not a stoner teen out with my buddies. I don't drink or 'party'. I'm a middle aged family guy with 2 kids that are all grown up. I would love to be taken seriously.

My condition is helped by the use of cannabis, making my seizures and pain manageable. (I prefer vaporizing, edibles make me very sick).

I have no ambition to scout out Orlando for a 'fix'. I am interested in anybody else's experience in safely using without the fear of Mickey's Police Department banning them from the resort. I'm not interested in smoking on the Pirates of the Caribbean. I have no ambition to practice anything but discretion. I would love to enjoy the parks without slowing the rest of my group down.

I love the parks! I would really enjoy the experience without having to stop every 5 minutes to rest.

Any serious input, advice, and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!
ThankyouThankyouThankyou

I think if you vaporize anywhere in Florida, you run the risk of being arrested. I also think it is very likely that you would be banned from the parks, if you were caught vaporizing marijuana.

If I were you, I'd try finding edibles that did not make you sick.

"partake"....ugh!!!!!
thanks a lot.
I actually don't think the PP meant anything by the word, they just chose a different word than smoke since you said you don't smoke it. Your best bet would be to speak with your doctor and come up with a plan. You can't possibly be their first patient who is traveling to a place where medical marijuana is illegal.

I actually don't think the PP meant anything by the word, they just chose a different word than smoke since you said you don't smoke it. Your best bet would be to speak with your doctor and come up with a plan. You can't possibly be their first patient who is traveling to a place where medical marijuana is illegal.

This. Definitely speak with your doctor. If nothing else, he/she may be able to provide you with alternative pain management during your visit. Too bad WDW isn't in Colorado, eh?

The pain management is really secondary. I more or less want to avoid missing half the day in a stupor.

It's illegal. Period. Only you can decide whether it is worth the risk and getting thrown out of your resort for illegal drug use.

Yeah, it's a bummer for you, but it's illegal in Florida. Since you have to vape in designated areas, someone's going to notice, and you'll get kicked out.

Your doc should have alternatives. Is there no pill version?

I don't even know how that would work getting through TSA.

It's like we live in the damn dark ages.
It's illegal. Period. Only you can decide whether it is worth the risk and getting thrown out of your resort for illegal drug use.

I know you mean well, period. Let's hope insulin never becomes illegal.
May you never have cataplexy, and may the things that make YOUR life better never become illegal. Stating the obvious may make you feel better. Me? Not so much.

Ugh, I feel for you. I have a relative who manages a chronic condition with medicinal cannabis and the difference has been night and day - on his prior prescriptions, a high enough dose to be effective made him almost zombie-like in his day to day function and he lived with pain and flare ups to have a clearer head. But it is so tough for him to travel given the current state of laws regarding medicinal pot. :( It is ridiculous, really, that the legality of any medical treatment should be decided on a state-by-state basis. But at the moment it is, so traveling to a state where it isn't legal is difficult - either you find an alternative medication for the duration of the trip or you risk the legal penalties for taking the medication you've been prescribed in accordance with the laws of your state.

Good luck to you. I hope you're able to find a solution that will allow you to enjoy your trip!

May you never have cataplexy, and may the things that make YOUR life better never become illegal. Stating the obvious may make you feel better. Me? Not so much.
But again, your doctor must have a Plan B for his/her medical marijuana patients or else you would never be able to travel anywhere where marijuana was illegal. No need to get snarky with anyone. PPs were just pointing out that marijuana is illegal in Florida, medical or otherwise, so you have exactly two options:
1) Use it and risk being arrested (and likely kicked out of the WDW Resort)
2) Find another solution for your vacation.

You're not the only person on earth with a chronic illness. There's one medication I take that can make me overheat and get sick, so when I travel to Disney, I have another medication (that doesn't work quite as well) that I sub in.

If you posted this thread to get people to tell you how to sneak in your medical marijuana, that isn't going to happen. It's against the Dis rules.

The answer is simple. You use a drug that is illegal in FL, you risk the consequences.

I get it...when you find something that works, you want to use it. Several of my seizure-prone students would benefit from it, but it's not legal here in NC so they can't. It's frustrating for them and their families. In the short term (such as in the case of your vacation) nothing you can do but figure out how to make do without it. In the long term, you can always lobby for change.

I hope you have a great vacation with an alternative management system in place.

You need to get oil from your doctor and "vap" that way. My brother in law travelled with the oil in an airport with no problem. It was re-labeled. Orlando is dangerous and I would not wander around the bad parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter