Med ports on your own - 2011

Maybe a moderator can make it a sticky so it will always be on the first page?

I am hoping others will chime in with information on where they found train schedules, bus schedules or just winged it when they got to each port.
If they took guide books with them or just read up before hand.

I know the links about are great but they are all for private guides and some of us are looking to just be able to go off on our own
I plan on doing a lot of reading this weekend over on cruise critic. Hopefully that will also help me to figure the logistics out

Maybe a moderator can make it a sticky so it will always be on the first page?

I am hoping others will chime in with information on where they found train schedules, bus schedules or just winged it when they got to each port.
If they took guide books with them or just read up before hand.

I know the links about are great but they are all for private guides and some of us are looking to just be able to go off on our own
I plan on doing a lot of reading this weekend over on cruise critic. Hopefully that will also help me to figure the logistics out

A quick way to find a bus, metro or train is to go to Google Maps. Start by entering in your desired city and country. If you have a possible site like the Colosseum you can even type that in. Then just zoom in. Usually the bus, metro or train stops show up. You can then click on their icon and a web site usually comes up. You can also click on directions and choose the train or bus icon if applicable. I may not be clear, but if you go to the site and mess around I'm sure you will figure it out.

Thank you for doing this - we are on the 7/9/11 cruise and our roll call hasn't had much movement. We arrive in Barcelona on 7/6 and plan to do the HOHO buses. We are a family of five and I have planned to do three ROmeinlimo tours (Rome, Pisa/Lucca, and Pompeii/Sorrento). Florence is too far and I don't want to be on such a tour schedule at so many ports. We have a car for 6 but may be willing to upgrade to an 8 seater van to save money. My family has not gone to these places and I feel it is worth the money to make it as easy as possible. To do each port on our own may stress my DH out.

Malta - tours seem cheaper there but have not done anything. Is it really worth going to the BLue Grotto? Is Valleta enough?

Palermo - thought of doing another tour because the catacombs sound great - my kids would love it. But hitting some beaches for a bit may be a hit as well. I know my kids may think that being in the med means more swimming - but it really doesn't.

Pisa/Lucca- are there olive oil factories or anything like that where we could stop and see how things are made? (smoked ham factory). Also thought of stopping at a beach on the way back - any ideas on this?

The trip cost can really add up with the private tours - but am nervous about doing it on our own as my husband is not at his most fit!

We did a lot of tours through Disney, but we did Malta on our own. It was very easy to get around and the people were helpful. We visited St. John's Co-Cathedral and it was beautiful. We also walked around and visited the shops, especially the filigree shop... I wish I'd bought more there:) Then we had lunch at a little cafe near the port that was very yummy. :goodvibes

A quick way to find a bus, metro or train is to go to Google Maps. Start by entering in your desired city and country. If you have a possible site like the Colosseum you can even type that in. Then just zoom in. Usually the bus, metro or train stops show up. You can then click on their icon and a web site usually comes up. You can also click on directions and choose the train or bus icon if applicable. I may not be clear, but if you go to the site and mess around I'm sure you will figure it out.

Thank you

Villefranche (Monte Carlo / Cannes / Nice)
• www.revelation-tours.com/cruise.html Michel LeGrand, Isoline

Just wanted to give this one a big thumbs up. We did a Med cruise last summer (RCCL not Disney) and did a tour with Michel during our stop in Villefranche. It was a definite highlight of our entire vacation. He is fabulous - gracious, entertaining, informative. I think my kids learned more on that tour than in an entire year of Euro history class!! He did stops at the market/beach in Nice, Eze, St.Paul de Vence and Monte Carlo, but he can customize the tour to meet your interests. It was such a wonderful day.

Also, something that I highly recommend in Barcelona is Edgar Torras with
Barcelona Segway Glides (www.barcelonasegwayglides.com) So much fun!!! I didn't tell my kids (teens) that we were doing this, and they were blown away. It was a fantastic way to see Barcelona -- we went all over the city and the waterfront. Edgar is charming and hilarious, and an excellent guide.

So jealous of those that are doing the Med with Disney -- it will be the experience of a lifetime!

We have done a separate vacation to Rome before, so we actually stayed on the ship on our last cruise. We will be getting off this time to see the Spanish Steps that we missed and maybe Trevi fountain again.

I talked to my Dh and he says that all of those are doable in one day, but he is not sure where the Spanish Steps are though. The others are close to one another. So my advice I guess would be to take the train in as soon as you can get off the ship, then take a taxi from place to place depending on traffic, it might be quicker to walk, most places aren't more than a mile apart. It should still come out way cheaper than paying DCL. Oh and to save time buy any tickets online before you go.

Hope I could help you some.

Walking around Rome is VERY doable for an able bodied adult. If you're planning on pushing a stroller around, though, you might want to give some thought about picking and choosing the important stops. You should also keep in mind that the city isn't exactly flat, so be prepared for some uphill walking here and there.

Another thing to think about is that all the ports are really close to each other and the time printed for disembarkation might not really be the time you can get off the ship. Generally, we found that if we woke up early and the ship was docked, they would let us off. This came in handy for Rome because we got off the ship about an hour before the posted time and were able to catch the early train into the city.

As for the Spanish steps. Do a search for "spagna, rome, italy" on google maps. That's the metro station underneath the steps.

Great thread!

We have done the Med twice now with DCL and lots of other times with other cruiselines.

We too would book an excursion back in the early days, but then realised that the cost for two of us, then for three when dd came along, was more than hiring a cab. We have been doing our own thing with our dd, since her first cruise at just over a year old.

What you need to remember is that all the ports are frequented by large cruise ships almost everyday of the week, the cabbies know the fares they should charge (and those they can get away with!), they also know exactly what a visitor wants to see, it is not a problem with any of the stops to get off and find a cab.

My advice would be to do a little planning, pick out the important things to you and negotiate, if that is what you want. My first criteria is look for a cab that is 'safe' and reasonably recent. I then ask the cab driver a few questions, to see if he has a reasonable grasp of English!! Asking do you speak English is not a good one!! Don't be worried to walk away or negotiate, that is part of the game and will be expected. Have a figure in your mind and stick to it. We usually work out the cost of the tour and keep under that - although you have to remember that the ability to stop when you like and move on again, beating the queues, has a value!! I can't stand waiting for people to get back on a bus after a comfort stop, or unnecessary tastings of horrid wine in a shop that doesn't interest me!:confused3

Having said all the above. We often do the ports without a cab.

Malta is easy, you walk up into Valetta (it is a bit steep though), which is a great town interesting, old and good shopping! However, to see Mdina and The Blue Grotto, you will need either a bus or a cab. Buses are at the entrance to the walled city of Valetta, there are lots, clearly marked. However, for time, I would suggest a cab, which will cost about 40 euros to do all the main sights. To get a cab in Malta is very organised. When you get off the ship, walk along the quay to one of the small booths and decide which trip you want - there is a sort of 'tour menu'. You then take the ticket they give you, to the taxi queue and off you go. If you don't want to see something, say, if you want longer somewhere, ask. You have the cab for about four or five hours, we did the Blue Grotto, Mdina, the fishing village and then back to Valletta, he parked up and waited for us in each place. Some times we were finished within 20 mins (fishing village) and wandered back to him, another time we were longer (Mdina, we had a lovely lunch). Take your swimwear to the Blue Grotto, just waiting for the little boats to take us around to the caves, made me want to jump in the crystal clear water.

Naples, cabs will be out in force, there are also people carriers too I noticed, for larger groups. Naples can be a bit hectic, the drivers swamp you as you come off the ship, and it is a bit of a pain negotiating, as they come across quite determined, Remember this is normal for them, they do this everyday and it is their job. They all know the price they want - have a look at some of the previous cruises to get an idea of what you should pay, cruise critic is a good source. Again, it will be all the usual places, a standard tour, unless you have something specific. In which case, if you don't speak Italian, write it down, or have a guide book open to the page. We have had a couple of fantastic drivers, who have been fun informative and helpful. I don't think in all our cruises (14 in Europe), we have had a really bad one. If you do, take the number of the cab and let someone know.

The walk to the train station isn't a good one, it is a very busy road, or you can walk through the buildings - it isn't an exact science unless you have a good map, we ended up getting a bus this time, but you need to buy a ticket before you travel at a newsagent. When you get on the bus, verify it, by clipping it with the yellow machine on board. I would suggest you get a cab there, (I believe there is a bus just outside the port, but we had walked over the main road and into the streets to get ours). From the train station you can go down to the line that takes you to Pompeii, or Herculaneum. Herculanum is great, smaller than Pompeii, much easier to understand and less busy. It is a five minute walk down the hill to the sight from the small station. Outside the station in Herculaneum on the left, is a company that will take you up Vesuvius. This is just amazing. You don't need to book, they go every hour or so. Go into the office, get the time of the next trip up - we have done this twice now and each time a minibus has been there ready to go. I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't a lot of euros (maybe 15 or so each). The bus takes you up the car park on Vesuvius and you walk the rest of the way. It is a steep cinder track (don't wear sandals, the stones get in them!!), takes about 30 mins. to get up. Our six year old did it no problem, with a bit of encouragement. My otherhalf carried her up as a two year old a few years before! I was amazed at how excited she was to be up a volcano!

Coming down is easier, there is a little hut at the car park to buy gifts, drinks and ice creams. The bus took us back and dropped us off at Herculaneum which was good and then he said he would pick us up again in a few hours - he charged us 5 euros for this little extra jaunt, we could have walked it, but it was very hot and well worth the extra euros.

Previously in Naples we have got the Hydrofoil, or ferry over to Capri. This is just a short walk from where the ship comes in and much cheaper than doing an excursion. Capri is a tiny island, walkable, but steep in places. Lot of little shops, stunning views, a perfumery and cafes and restaurants, very pretty. Although I have been to Sorrento many years ago, I have never done it from the Port, but I believe you can get to it easily. I think we may do that this time.

I will post our experiences for the next ports shortly and don't forget, a good way to cut costs, especially for a couple on their own, is to join up with another couple that you may have met. We are still in touch with two couples who we met in a cab on a cruise!!!

Hope this helps.

Kate

Great info K8T! My typing skill are too horrid to try and write how we did everything exactly. Thanks for taking the time to help the others. :thumbs up 2

Thanks for all the great information!

K8T: In Malta, did you notice if there are taxi vans that would accommodate 9? We are a three generation family group and would love to be able to hire just one taxi.

Villefranche (Monte Carlo / Cannes / Nice)
• www.revelation-tours.com/cruise.html Michel LeGrand, Isoline
• www.dream-tours.com/layout.php?page=106&lang=us Alain, Frederic, Jean Marc
• www.azur-guides-interpretes.com/ Sylvie DiCristo
• www.riviera-prestige-tours.com/ Eva Devemy

TIA for any information that others provide.
I can keep the first post updated with all the information so that it will be easier for others so that they don't have to read through pages and pages of threads. Well I hope this becomes a thread with many pages ;)

Thanks for putting this thread together! We're going on the August 13th Med and I THINK we're going to try to do Villefranche on our own but thought it wouldn't hurt to look into some other options. So I just wanted to let you know that I tried all 4 of these links this morning & none of the first 3 worked. (I have not tried to Google them or anything yet.) The last one for Prestige Tours worked but the website was a little vague and didn't list any prices or anything so I have emailed them just to get an idea of a couple of prices... I will report back when I hear back from them...:goodvibes

Thanks for putting this thread together! We're going on the August 13th Med and I THINK we're going to try to do Villefranche on our own but thought it wouldn't hurt to look into some other options. So I just wanted to let you know that I tried all 4 of these links this morning & none of the first 3 worked. (I have not tried to Google them or anything yet.) The last one for Prestige Tours worked but the website was a little vague and didn't list any prices or anything so I have emailed them just to get an idea of a couple of prices... I will report back when I hear back from them...:goodvibes

Thanks - that is why I noted that I didn't know if they worked. It was a post from 2007 that someone else had posted when they were compiling information, link is in the first post of this thread. I haven't had time to click on each one

K8T - Thank you so much for the Malta info. We are a family of 5 - do you recall the cost of the cabs for a 4/5 hour tour - the one you mentioned sounds perfect. But since we are 5 do they have minivans?

Does anybodyhere know anything yet about going to Palma, Mallorca? That is a brand new port this year on the 7-night Meds...nothing to go on from the past and DCL still hasn't posted the excursions yet on the website. I keep checking the website for them and I have called a couple of times to ask if they know when...they keep saying any day now. Today, the girl I spoke to said she has the list...there will be about 17 things offered in that port...of those there is only 1 beach excursion (to someplace called Moneello Beach).:sad2: We were really hoping for more beach type options there. I think after the hectic beginning to the week we will just want to VEG somewhere under an umbrella with a couple of adult beverages!! I have heard that there are some great beaches there...disappointed that DCL will only offer one choice for that. So I am interested in hearing what anybody can tell me about Mallorca!!

We used "tour of italy" for the naples portion of the trip and were able to see the amalfi coast and pompeii. They were a great tour company however there was one thing I would have changed. They have a family owned restaurant that they really "push" you into using. Some loved the food - I thought it was just "OK". The restaurant does have a great view and it is a unique experience so it does stand on its own but I wouldn't do it again.

In retrospect I would have rather eaten in Positano or one of the other little towns down by the beach. I am looking at repeating our med cruise and would definitely use the same tour company BUT I would have a lunch planned for somewhere else.

Great info K8T! My typing skill are too horrid to try and write how we did everything exactly. Thanks for taking the time to help the others. :thumbs up 2

No probs. I type at around 80wpm, so takes no time to post, I know how daunting it can be arriving in a strange place, not knowing the ropes, so I am just 'passing it on'.

K8T - Thank you so much for the Malta info. We are a family of 5 - do you recall the cost of the cabs for a 4/5 hour tour - the one you mentioned sounds perfect. But since we are 5 do they have minivans?

The prices varied, but I think they were from 30euros to 50/60 euros, depending on what you did, ours was 40 euros. I can't recall seeing any people carriers waiting in Malta, but I am sure that they do! I would think if you are a larger group, if you got off earlier, they could arrange for something for you. The alternative is to have two cars following each other.

Does anybodyhere know anything yet about going to Palma, Mallorca? That is a brand new port this year on the 7-night Meds...nothing to go on from the past and DCL still hasn't posted the excursions yet on the website. I keep checking the website for them and I have called a couple of times to ask if they know when...they keep saying any day now. Today, the girl I spoke to said she has the list...there will be about 17 things offered in that port...of those there is only 1 beach excursion (to someplace called Moneello Beach).:sad2: We were really hoping for more beach type options there. I think after the hectic beginning to the week we will just want to VEG somewhere under an umbrella with a couple of adult beverages!! I have heard that there are some great beaches there...disappointed that DCL will only offer one choice for that. So I am interested in hearing what anybody can tell me about Mallorca!!

We have done Palma a few times now, but never to the beach. Some beaches not far away, but I have never been there, only heard about it. There must be some good beaches within reach somewhere, it is very popular with the UK for holidays.

There is usually a shuttle bus from the ship to the bottom of the town and then it is a short walk into the town itself which consists of two parts, the old and new. The Cathedral is a beautiful bulding, well worth a look and then wander through the old streets. We love shopping in Palma and then sitting in one of the many pavement cafes, watching the world go by.

I did post to say that the sand is volcanic - this was wrong!! I was thinking of another similar island - sorry if I mislead anyone (Annie!!).

Having been to Hawaii several times I'm OK with black sand beaches...it seems the volcanic rock clarifies the water & makes it crystal clear - perhaps we could find someplace to snorkel too?! Last time we went to Hawaii we spent 3 nights on the Big Island and took a helicopter ride over the active volcano, Kilauea which was simply AMAZING.

ry%3D480

ANYWAY, that was a different trip and I think nothing could compare to seeing a live volcano... But I will be checking DCL's website every day for updates on Mallorca!!

Meanwhile, I heard back from that one tour place in Villefranche. Their reply seemed ummm, full. Overly full or something. I will just copy my email to them and then what they sent below.

Me:
Bonjour - we will have 1 day in the port of Villefranche in August and I am researching our options for the day. I did not see prices on your website for these 2 day trips. Could you tell me please how long the tours last and the pricing for 3 people vs 7 people?! Also, should we decide to use your company how do you request payment? Do you take deposits at time of reservation? Credit cards or only euro at the time of the tour?
Merci,
LeeAnn White

RIVIERA - PROVENCE HIGHLIGHTS
NICE –SAINT PAUL DE VENCE –CANNES

and

BEST of the FRENCH RIVIERA
NICE – MONACO - MONTE CARLO & EZE-VILLAGE by the CORNICHES

Bonjour,

Thank you for this request

It would be a pleasure to organize this excursion for you and your family or friends

I propose you a private sightseeing tour in a luxury Sedan Limousine ( up to 3 people) or in an air-conditioned mini-bus ( maxi 8 guests) with an English speaking guide/driver leaving from VILLEFRANCHE

You have not mentioned the date, I could not check availabilities

Both tours you have asked for are Full Day Tours of 8 hours

Please check all tour descriptions on the new website:
www.riviera-prestige-tours.com
Click on the English/ US flag – click on OUR TOURS – go to SHORE EXCURSIONS or go to FRENCH RIVIERA & MONTE CARLO
There are also tours from MARSEILLE if your cruise ship docks there
You will also see the vehicles we use

PRICE for your PRIVATE PARTY of 3 people in a Sedan:
8 hour Full Day tour: 9am to 5pm ( or to suit you) 445Euro

PRICE for your PRIVATE PARTY of 7 people in a Mini Van:
8 hour Full Day tour: 9am to 5pm ( or to suit you) 595Euro

Rates are all French & Monaco taxes, motorway fees, parking fees, lunch for driver included
Not included: Entrance fees and your lunch

To CONFIRM your booking please send
PORT OF CALL:
Name of your cruise ship:
REQUESTED PICK UP TIME:

Your address:
Phone number :
Fax number :
Email:

To GUARANTEE this booking please send
Your credit card number ( VISA or MASTER CARD), expiry date and last 3 security digits
You will NOT BE CHARGED NOW and you can pay cash to the driver
If you prefer to send the CC information via fax: the number is 00 33 494 546 365 ( while listening to the message send your fax)

When received all information you will get the CONFIRMATION SHEET and USEFUL INFORMATION

Please note that we operate also from following other ports of call: MONTE CARLO – NICE – VILLEFRANCHE – CANNES – ST TROPEZ – TOULON – SANARY sur MER - MARSEILLE

I look forward to hearing from you soon
Eva Devemy

Please reply to contact@provencesightseeing.com
Reply to contact@riviera-prestige-tours.com
And send a copy to eva.devemy@me.com

Www.Riviera-Prestige-Tours.com
Provence Sightseeing Côte d’Azur
EXCURSIONS & TRANSFERS & INCENTIVES
Tel : 00 33 6 07 05 52 82 & 00 33 617 144 341
Fax : 00 33 4 94 54 63 65
Email : contact@provencesightseeing.com & eva.devemy@me.com
www.provencesightseeing.com

SINCE 1994 - A TOURISM MINISTRY APPROVED COMPANY

Mail to <contact@provencesightseeing.com>

Provence Sightseeing Côte d’Azur
EXCURSIONS-TRANSFERS-INCENTIVES
Mobile : 00 33 617 144 341 or 00 33 6 07 05 52 82
Fax : 00 33 4 94 54 63 65
Email : <contact@provencesightseeing.com>
www.provencesightseeing.com
Résidence Les Hameaux de Cogolin "Le Fluorite"
F 83310 Cogolin - France

SINCE 1994 - A TOURISM MINISTRY APPROVED COMPANY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter