test mobile ad location
  1. Guest - Welcome to the new DIS Boards! I have created a forum on the tech support board to talk about any issues we are seeing and a thread to discuss new functionality - Alex

Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by lilpooh108, Jan 12, 2013.

1. MrsScooby

MrsScooby Mouseketeer

This hotel was highly rated on Trip Advisor and theyare also off the beaten path
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d1739663-Reviews-Palm_Gallery_Hotel-Rome_Lazio.html

The reviews for the service are very good. Could this have been where you stayed ?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

to hide this advert.
  3. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info! For the train, do you know if you happened to be on the "commuter" train or something? I've been reading about it and apparently there are different types of trains. I wasn't sure if ALL of them are this crowded, or not.

For the Tube in London, do children need to show ID or anything to ride free. My kids are only 1 and 4.

I thought I read somewhere that at some age, kids need to have an ID for the Oyster card. We are skipping the Oyster card and only plan on buying the 1-day Travelcard each day that we're there. Thanks!

In other words, can my kids just be carried through the turnstile or do I need to stop by a ticket window and get some kind of pass?

4. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 Mouseketeer

Thanks! That gives me perspective. The hydrofoil plus a day of traveling will be too much for our group. Guess we'll have to skip Capri this time. :rolleyes:

5. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 Mouseketeer

Bellinus and Kikids,

Thanks for this info. Lucca is sounding like a great plan :cheer2:

6. bellelinus

bellelinus <font color=deeppink>You have liberally applied fl

At your kids' ages, they can just be carried through the turnstiles - see more info here:

http://www.visitlondon.com/travelle...d-london/kids-travel-free-on-london-transport

7. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 Mouseketeer

8. Four Swampers

Four Swampers Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Alright, you piqued my curiosity! My curiosity about where I stayed. None of my photos included the hotel. In my daily email journal home (2010, remember), I just said "the hotel." Google maps of the area did not initially help. I did remember that direction we walked from the train station to the hotel. I also remembered the direction we walked from the hotel to the metro, but I could not remember the metro station. Then I found a journal entry that we went to view the tallest obelisk in Rome, located in Piazza di San Giovanni, JUST PAST OUR SUBWAY STOP!!! So by triangulating the San Giovanni subway station with the train station and the rough area of our hotel on google maps, I found it! We stayed at Hotel Eurostars Roma Aeterna. Great hotel.

And now I found the pizza place nearby! Holy Mackerel! This pizza place was awesome. We got there about 5:30 one evening. The whole inside and outside was empty. Not one patron. About 120 empty seats. We asked for a table; when the waiter said he would talk with the manager, I laughed out loud, thinking it was a joke. It wasn't. They discussed and pondered for a couple minutes, then decided we could have two seats at an outside table far at the end. A few minutes later, they turned away another couple. Fifteen minutes later, there were over 100 people dining. No group more than six people. Completely off the beaten path, not a tourist destination in sight, not in any guidebooks. This place is the real deal locals' favorite pizzeria, and we stumbled on it by accident. Here it is: Pizzeria Fiaschetteria Al grottino. Located at Via Orvieto 6.

Also, if you were to walk the 1 to 2 miles from the train station to the hotel, roughly following a trolley line, and ducking under a highway, you would see a bakery with no name and the wall covered with graffiti. You should really grab a pastry from here.

9. Four Swampers

Rats! I just discovered that the Uffizi Museum and the Academia (which houses Michelangelo's "David") are closed on Mondays! And the Greek Isles DCL cruise ports at La Spezia on Monday! Rats.

10. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 Mouseketeer

I don't know the exact dates, but alot of the excursions have date restrictions due to local holidays, etc.

11. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

:hug:

12. Stitchie13

Stitchie13 Earning My Ears

This is a great thread I don't have tips of my own as I am a first time cruiser to the Med but I shall follow along

13. kaseyC

kaseyC <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

If you are doing a pre or post cruise stay in Barcelona and you are Soccer fans or players, make time to tour Camp Nou the home of the FC Barcelona team.

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/club

My DH as well as my 3 DDs all love and play soccer and it was one of the highlights of our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona. The Camp Nou Experience is very interactive, interesting and fun. The official store carried some cool and very unique items.

14. LisaHK

LisaHK Member

My husband and three boys are really looking forward to visiting Camp Nou.

15. LisaHK

LisaHK Member

16. bibbidibobbidibecky

bibbidibobbidibecky The Fairy Godblogger

17. CBEB

CBEB <font color=deeppink>We're ready to do it again!<b

18. MrsScooby

MrsScooby Mouseketeer

Impressive detective work:thumbsup2
    Funny thing is that I usually don't have a problem coming up with the name of a hotel I stayed at (credit card history or email reservation confirmation are what I usually use to backtrack). It is the restaurant names that I have a hard time with :headache:
    We think we'll remember the name of a restaurant and we almost never do. I have taken to taking a picture of something about the restaurant when I really like it and want to be able to recommend it to people.

Gotta save your info for future reference:thumbsup2

Have to say I am something of a pizza snob having been born and raised in Long Island New York. People have warned me that the pizza in Italy is different from what I am used to. Something about Italians using fresh mozzarella instead of the dried mozzarella that we use and that making it necessary to use a fork and knife to eat it.
    How did the pizza compare for you ?

Oh I hear you:(
    We have a similar problem on our cruise. We will have problems visiting the vatican in Rome and the co-cathedral in Malta because we arrive on Sundays.
    I just console myself with the fact that it leaves us more time for others sites and also requires a trip back to catch what we missed:confused3

Cool:thumbsup2

19. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

I know what you mean. I once had pizza in Naples and thought it was awful. The sauce was very thin, like tomato soup, which made the crust all wet & mushy. There was very little cheese on it too. What a disappointment.
    Maybe pizza was created in Naples, but we perfected it for sure! :goodvibes

20. bellelinus

bellelinus <font color=deeppink>You have liberally applied fl

Hi Laurie!!!!:love:
    I can tell you that Italian pizza is nothing like New York pizza . . . it is virtually never cut into slices, you eat it with a fork and knife. The crust is very, very thin, and the sauce is runny. There is less cheese on it than a New York slice. That all being said, I like it - it's just different. If you have ever been to Eataly in Chelsea in NYC, they have very authentic Italian pizza there, as does another place in Hell's Kitchen, Don Antonio (the only other one of those is in Naples).

21. Four Swampers

I agree with this! If you must have pizza a certain way, then you may not like pizza in Italy. If you approach it from a standpoint of trying new flavors and textures, you may well like it. I liked it, but I like pretty much any pizza.