Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by lilpooh108, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

Can you do a summary of what you did in Barcelona? Also, did you go on the NCL Jade? How was NCL?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

Did you do Athens on your own? How was it?

4. Celestine

Celestine DIS Veteran

T10 can be bought at the airport metro - card or cash I believe. T10 will be cheaper than a travel card, but I guess it very much depends on your plans. Planning on buying 2 x T10 for my family of 4 which gets into Barcelona, back to the airport & travel back to hotel after walking Las Ramblas with a few left over which are good until the end of the year

Celestine

5. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

I've purchased T-10 tickets from the ticket machine at the Pla├ža Catalunya metro station. I tried to use a U.S.-issued Visa card, but it would not accept it. It would only take cards with chip + PIN. So I ended up paying with cash.

Woody

6. JimmyJackJunior

JimmyJackJunior DIS Veteran

Yes, available at the airport by all accounts.

7. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

8. ThePicketts

ThePicketts Mouseketeer

Someone had mentioned eating McDonald's at the Pantheon in Rome. That McDonald's has since been closed down.

9. JimmyJackJunior

JimmyJackJunior DIS Veteran

10. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

11. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

Haha. We have ate at the McDs near Spanish Steps for a snack both times we've been to Rome. Oddly enough, it's turned into a joke now. We try to grab a little something at every McD in the diff countries we visit.

12. debsters41

debsters41 DIS Veteran

Athens is very, very easy to do on your own. Warning, however, it can be very hot as well;)

13. Angie_Ohio

Angie_Ohio Mouseketeer

We toured the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel on our 2011 cruise. How can we visit St. Peter's Basilica by itself? Is there a seperate entrance in the front?

14. abdgeek

abdgeek DIS Veteran

I didn't do Montserrat on my own, but as a DCL disembarkation tour. I was glad I did. Montserrat is about an hour outside of Barcelona. We arrived in time for mass, so only had time to get a quick peek at the Black Madonna(not actually touch her as I had planned--she's behind plexiglass, so the pictures come out funny). The boys choir was on vacation, so I went to the museum and looked around. We were only there a couple of hours and that was all that was needed. There really isn't much to see there. It's beautiful and peaceful--the guide said that was what most people come for.

I once saw detailed instructions on how to ride the metro to Montserrat. I think it was from a trip post for a previous DCL Med Cruise maybe in 2011 or 2010. Try Allears.net and look at their cruise reports.

15. Candy Apple

Candy Apple DIS Veteran

How long is the DCL tour? Do you recall the price? I'm thinking of doing this post-cruise because we won't have to worry about what to do with luggage until we can get into our hotel room. Does anyone know if you stay in a DCL hotel post-cruise, can you drop your luggage there early since we have to disembark the ship so early?

16. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

This tour is already on the DCL port adventures webpage, so you can pull it up for more detail :)

17. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

That McD's was the cheapest option for you to sit and have a coffee while sitting outside, enjoying the fountain and the Pantheon. All of the other cafes in the area have insane mark up. I think it's too bad that it closed down.

18. clairedy6

clairedy6 Mouseketeer

personally we are skipping Pompeii and Capri and just spending the day in Sorrento and Positano. I've never been to any of these places but I've done a lot of research and from what I've read it would be unfortunate to skip Sorrento or Positano. Also Capri is a bit out of the way seeing as the only way to access it is by hydrofoil since it's an island, whereas alternatively you can just drive through Sorrento and Positano.

19. clairedy6

clairedy6 Mouseketeer

Does anybody know if there's a way to skip the lines to get into St. Peter's Basillica without visiting the Museums/Sistine Chapel?

20. ThePicketts

ThePicketts Mouseketeer

It was pretty cool

21. meajuly5

meajuly5 DIS Veteran

Positano is charming and beautiful. Sorrento has beautiful views. Scary switchbacks getting up there! Capri is just gorgeous. Pompeii is unreal!