Med Cruisers...Let's Discuss Planning!(Updated Tour Info, Links & BCN Info on Page 1)

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by lilpooh108, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lilpooh108

lilpooh108 DIS Veteran

Ditto this. And ladies, don't bring a purse and a rollaboard. That will count as 2 for Easyjet. For the budget airlines it's one or the other. I usually bring a nylon bag like a LeSportsac in my carryon, and then pull it out after we land in order to have a small crossbody.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bigAWL

bigAWL DIS Veteran

I'm not trying to worry anyone. And this wasn't a reply to me, so I can't say anything for the PP. But...

According to this about.com article from 2011: What You Should Know About Mishandled Checked Luggage on Airlines

4. JimmyJackJunior

JimmyJackJunior DIS Veteran

Thanks Bigawl. Did not mend to offend anyone but I have never been to Europe and my travel agent warned me that European airlines and particularly mine, KLM was bad. Looks like she was right.

5. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

All the talk about airlines and luggage reminded me that I still needed to get TSA approved locks and while I was at it, I ordered some (lime green - the official color of DIS, of course) luggage tags.

We haven't used locks on our luggage since the rules all changed, but watching the Rick Steves "packing lady" webinar the other day, she had some good points about why you might want to lock your luggage, not just for the air travel portion, but for while you are staying at a hotel.

6. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

I found it interesting when she said housekeeping might leave your room's door open while they get linens from down the hall, enabling hotel guests to steal from unlocked luggage.

Woody

7. bats

bats Enjoying Bahama Mama's

I will consider myself lucky then .. I have flown with 6 of the European ones and never had a problem. I wonder if the word 'mishandled' actually means 'lost' or a multitude of things.

8. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

And that is just as likely to happen in the US. I have seen doors open at Disney and lots of other places. Even if the housekeeper just is in the bathroom that us plenty of time for someone to grab that laptop on the table

9. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

In case you were wondering, there are two Disney Stores in Barcelona.

http://www.disneystore.co.uk/disney-store-locator/mn/1300001/

We stumbled across one in Covent Garden in London on the Sunday afternoon we had disembarked the ship. It was super crowded but we bought a Mickey Mouse with something England on it for a friend of the boys' birthday. We thought we would make the time to go by one of these.

10. Celestine

Celestine DIS Veteran

No real reason for them to ask as they don't take off the VAT when they sell & you are not obliged to claim on departure from the EU. Sadly as a Brit, no VAT refunds for me!

Celestine

11. CBEB

CBEB <font color=deeppink>We're ready to do it again!<b

Hey, we're on that same cruise and also have a DD16! Come join our cruise meet thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2868430
    :banana:

12. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

Are you all bringing a converter for electricity for the pre-cruise stay in Barcelona? We were thinking of borrowing one from a friend so we can charge up ipods / ipad / kindle fires - but then I was reading that these may not need a converter but just an adapter because they are designed to charge off either 110v or 220v - but I'm so tech-challenged that I'm not sure from what I'm reading over on Apple and Amazon. Anyone know or can point me to a definitive answer?

13. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

Apple products do not need power converter only plug adapter. No idea on kindle.

14. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

So what I currently do is put the apple cord that has the end that plugs into my device and has a USB on the other end that I put into a plug-thing that I then plug into the wall. So I just need an adapter to fit on that plug so it will fit into the wall in BCN?

When we were in London, the desk had plugs built into it that were US-shaped that we used so we didn't have to have an adapter but I worried about it (we only had an old iPod at the time). I wondered if the desk plugs had some sort of converter built into them at the time.

15. tajz90

tajz90 Mama D

Yes. Just plug your charging device into an adapter. It's easy, breezy. A plug adapter is all you need.

16. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

thanks.
    I was looking at our hotel information (Renaissance Barcelona) and it claims to have iPod docking stations in the rooms, so that might be sufficient then. However in looking I also saw where the hotel has a 20 Euro/night charge for WiFi! Yikes.

Further reading led me to Barcelona WiFi which is apparently a city-wide (or soon to be) wifi umbrella but will likely have a lot of limitation on what you can / can't do via the wifi, plus a 256Kbps connection speed. Guess I won't be reading DIS, but if it's enough to upload an email or two, I can update our blog which is mostly what I want the wifi for anyway.

17. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

Kindles are also dual voltage.

18. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

Thanks so much.

19. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

Has anyone cruised DCL in the Med before? I'm wondering how much time we should allow for tendered ports?
    The all ashore time for LaSpezia is 7:45am but we won't be on a DCL excursion. Maybe I should change our driver pick up time from 8:00 to 8:30
    or even 9am? :confused3

It's a 9 hour tour and we'd like to be back in time for early dinner though we could make this our Palo night or eat in Topsiders.

20. bats

bats Enjoying Bahama Mama's

For any tendered port, the DCL guests are generally taken ashore first, so it's wise to allow at least 30 mins for them. If you wait by the exit, you can follow the last group out normally.

21. DisneyNurse19

DisneyNurse19 Mouseketeer

I have only done Disney excursions, i would worry all day if i booked one myself and i didnt get back in time and watched the ship sailing away without me :scared1: