ME luggage delivery, not happy

My wife and I love DME..............however I'm way to much of a control freak to trust my luggage with someone else. Now some might say that's an inconvenience for us...........but our luggage is always with us when we get to the room. We always take the first flight out of Philly or Newark NJ so we usually always land before 10am. Doesn't matter..........always bring it with us. On our last trip, we stayed at the BWV.........our room wasn't ready for us at 10:30am........which I was prepared for. We left the bags with the front desk bell staff...............had zero problems when we returned to get into our room at 5:30pm.

Heard to many stories like what the OP has stated.............so we always bring our luggage with us :)

Doug :goofy:

our flight landed at about 8:20pm, we took ME to ASMo, and we're here by 9:35. It's now 1:15am and I still don't have my luggage.

I called bell services a few minutes ago and the guy told me "bags always take AT LEAST 3-5 hours to arrive" which is not my experience and is not what the paperwork says.

He looked up my name and says that our bags are still at he airport because the truck is not full yet. I should have them in about 2 hours.

I am not amused. I'm glad that I packed an overnight bag and tomorrow's clothes in my carryon, but this is ridiculous.

And why would they even be waiting for more bags to fill the truck? I thought they stopped picking up bags from the airlines for flights after 10:30pm???

Not sure why the outrage. We are landing at 9:15 in March. We are not planning on seeing our luggage until the AM. We will have carry-ons with our stuff for the first night and the next day.

As far as bell services, I don't know if I would take his word as far as time frame or the reason why it's not there.

That is a good idea. With the 3-4 hour window of delivery after checking in at your resort if you check in at 9:30 like the OP, your bags could arrive between 12:30 and 1:30AM. Over the years, we have come to realize if our flight lands anytime after 6PM we are getting our own bags.

That's exactly the time frame for my luggage arrival a few years ago. I arrived at the resort around 9 and luggage wasn't delivered until 12:30. :tink:

I have to ask: What difference does it make if it takes 3 hours or 6 to get your luggage? Do people not really pack what they absolutely need in their carry-on bags? IF you don't want to be disturbed late at night by your luggage being delivered, just have the desk hold it. Easy. No way would I sit at the resort waiting for my bags at any rate.

I dont understand why you're always defending disney? They do screw up you know. The ME luggage service isnt always reliable. Period. Many of us had to wait more than 6 hours for our luggage...and I think thats unacceptable. It happened to me on two occasions! Whether if its disneys fault or the airline, doesnt matter. Waiting 6 hours for luggage is ridiculous. Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage. So im willing to bet the majority of the time disney is the reason for the 6+ hour delay. And yes, I do pack essentials in a carry on. But thats besides the point, some people just worry about the whereabouts of their luggage. Some people just cant sleep soundly until they know their luggage hasnt been lost.

Last edited:

I dont understand why you're always defending disney? The ME luggage service isnt always reliable. Period. Many of us had to wait more than 6 hours for our luggage...and I think thats unacceptable. It happened to me on two occasions! Whether if its disneys fault or the airline, doesnt matter. Waiting 6 hours for luggage is ridiculous. Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage. So im willing to be the majority of the time disney is the reason for the 6+ hour delay. And yes, I do pack essentials in a carry on. But thats besides the point, some people just worry about the whereabouts of their luggage. Some people just cant sleep soundly until they know the luggage hasnt been lost.

I guess I didn't think most people sat around waiting for their bags. I assumed (yes I know) that most people would either A go out and start enjoying their vacation or B tell the desk to hold their bags so they can get a good night sleep. If you do either of those things you have no idea exactly how long it was before your bags were delivered. Not defending Disney, but wondering why the time frame matters so, unless you are waiting for your bags to show.

I also think that many people who think it takes too long don't understand that the countdown doesn't start when your plane touches down. And I also think people need to be a bit understanding when it comes to weather and the airline refusing to send their crew out when it is bad or unsafe.

Many of us had to wait more than 6 hours for our luggage...and I think thats unacceptable. Conversely, many of us have our luggage in well under the three to four hour time frame. Whether if its disneys fault or the airline, doesnt matter. Waiting 6 hours for luggage is ridiculous. Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage.
I'm sure I travel much less frequently than you, yet I've had luggage misdirected - not lost, because that would mean it never arrived as opposed to the three hours later than expected indicated here - more times than your luggage has been late.

I dont understand why you're always defending disney? They do screw up you know. The ME luggage service isnt always reliable. Period. Many of us had to wait more than 6 hours for our luggage...and I think thats unacceptable. It happened to me on two occasions! Whether if its disneys fault or the airline, doesnt matter. Waiting 6 hours for luggage is ridiculous. Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage. So im willing to bet the majority of the time disney is the reason for the 6+ hour delay. And yes, I do pack essentials in a carry on. But thats besides the point, some people just worry about the whereabouts of their luggage. Some people just cant sleep soundly until they know their luggage hasnt been lost.

They do screw up you know. Absolutely, probably more than we all know. With that said I also realize S%#@ happens. My thoughts are that most people are trying to do a good job (IMO at Disney they try even more than many businesses), I plan for things that will impact me the most such as delayed or misplaced luggage.

Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage: You are correct, very low percentage of lost luggage, less than 1% or a little over 3 per 1000 flyers. Of course lets say 5000 flyers to Disney per day that is 15 per day or almost 5500 per year. I'm not saying that is the amount and I realize I over simplified, just saying with a low % it still is potentially a lot of guests. I would imagine if there was a message board that catered to a New York airport like this board, you would see a high number of complaints.

Mind you in all my travels I have not had an airline lose my luggage: I use to travel weekly for business, and always had connecting flights. It got to the point that I didn't even bother looking for my luggage, I just went to the luggage service area and they would deliver it to my home the next morning. NOT that this is normal but.

Some people just cant sleep soundly until they know their luggage hasnt been lost For those people, I would recommend they should grab their luggage and bring to bus for their own piece of mind, even if 99% of the time luggage gets to where it should.

Last edited:
Do you only do carry on then? Because if you're checking luggage, you're trusting it to the airline; I really don't see how trusting it to DME is any different.
Excellent point. For the most part we carry on the airplane too! :-) Unfortunately sometimes that's taken out of my control...........as it was during our visit in January. At Philly we we're told our bags were too big to carry on............well my bag. o_O (and it was stuffed...........my mistake :guilty:) So we were forced to check our bags, this was with JetBlue............haven't had the issue with Southwest. We had no choice.

With MDE we do. :D

Doug :goofy:

We had the same experience. Landed at 8:10. Bags arrived at 2 am. We had failed to pack nightclothes in the carry on because we thought our bags would arrive in 3 hours, not 6.

We had the same experience. Landed at 8:10. Bags arrived at 2 am. We had failed to pack nightclothes in the carry on because we thought our bags would arrive in 3 hours, not 6.

Again, the delivery window doesn't start until you are at your resort. If you landed at 8:10 you were probably to your resort around 9:30 or 10:00. So your bags arrived in 3-4 hours, not 6.

I'm sure I travel much less frequently than you, yet I've had luggage misdirected - not lost, because that would mean it never arrived as opposed to the three hours later than expected indicated here - more times than your luggage has been late.

Good point misdirected luggage is happening more and more frequently.

We once had a bag go missing for 4 days as we flew on the Thursday before Easter Friday. The bar code tag thingy came off during the flight so it didn't transfer to the next flight as it should have. In fact the only reason we got it at all was because I had a Singapore Airlines frequent fluter tag on it so they could trace it to us but the baggage desk at the airport was closed until the Tuesday after Easter.

I'd prefer to collect my luggage myself from MDE just to know it got there and to be able to report it if it didn't.

I fly international 3 or 4 times a year and 2015 alone we had 2 bbs not turn up on the flight they should have.

I have to ask: What difference does it make if it takes 3 hours or 6 to get your luggage? Do people not really pack what they absolutely need in their carry-on bags? IF you don't want to be disturbed late at night by your luggage being delivered, just have the desk hold it. Easy. No way would I sit at the resort waiting for my bags at any rate.

I would never pack pjs, clean underwear, change of clothes, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, face cream, etc in my carryon. And that's why I always bring our bags with us on ME. I know exactly where they are and when the Room Is ready, I pick them up myself and bring them to room.

Maybe the truck was still at the airport but for a different reason, like, broken down. The CM who explained it to you saw the status of the truck as last being at the airport but he jumped to the conclusion that it was waiting to be filled.

Does the paperwork say that you should get your bags within 3 hours of checking in? I thought it was 4 hours before you should get alarmed and call down to the front desk. When did your bags eventually arrive?

1. I would never pack pjs, clean underwear, change of clothes, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, face cream, etc in my carryon.

2. And that's why I always bring our bags with us on ME. I know exactly where they are and when the Room Is ready, I pick them up myself and bring them to room.

1. Why in the world not?

2. Actually, between the time you check them at your home airport until you see them on the carousel at baggage claim, you don't know exactly where they are. Obviously, they should be on the plane you're on, but unless you see it getting loaded, you're just trusting that it was put on the correct plane. Like I said before, I really don't understand why people are able to trust that the airline can get their luggage to Orlando, but aren't willing to trust that DME can get it to their hotel.

Do you only do carry on then? Because if you're checking luggage, you're trusting it to the airline; I really don't see how trusting it to DME is any different.
I suspect DME is more trustworthy than the jerks at American. I always say a few Hail Marys when forced to gate check with them...

I would never pack pjs, clean underwear, change of clothes, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, face cream, etc in my carryon.

And yet, common sense travel advice recommends always packing your carry on luggage with everything needed for the first 12-24 hours at one's destination. Always. While "only" .3% of checked luggage is misdirected (every.single.day), if your suitcase is one of those - what do you do?

I guess I didn't think most people sat around waiting for their bags. I assumed (yes I know) that most people would either A go out and start enjoying their vacation or B tell the desk to hold their bags so they can get a good night sleep. If you do either of those things you have no idea exactly how long it was before your bags were delivered. Not defending Disney, but wondering why the time frame matters so, unless you are waiting for your bags to show.

I also think that many people who think it takes too long don't understand that the countdown doesn't start when your plane touches down. And I also think people need to be a bit understanding when it comes to weather and the airline refusing to send their crew out when it is bad or unsafe.
I personally dont sit around and wait for my luggage...but I know some people that do. Ok maybe i've waited once....but thats because our friends wanted to wait (we were at the same resort). I think its just a peace of mind for a lot of folks. They just cant truly relax until their luggage arrives. If you have a late flight, I agree that its wise to ask concierge to hold your luggage, or they can just grab their own luggage at the airport. But many newbies to disney just dont realise how long it actually takes. Live and learn I guess. On my next trip i might grab my own luggage instead of using ME.......
......or not...depends on my mood. :teeth: On my recent trip i used DME and it was fine.

Okay, what's your plan if your luggage is misdirected by the airline?
Same as I've done before when this did happen. I notify the airline and then work with them as necessary until they find and deliver the missing bag. I'd file my report and have a phone number to check, and when they find it, they'd deliver it to the resort. Much better than arriving to my resort that night to find that I have no bag and that Disney doesn't even know about it because it ended up somewhere else accidentally! I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to track it down at that point... I feel much better handling it myself as soon as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter