MCO Full Body Scanners?

snorkelfool

Earning My Ears
Does MCO require everyone to go through full body scanners or are they used randomly? I'm flying with DH and DS3 and do not want to go through the full body scans. We will opt out if we have to but hoping they are used randomly so that we hopefully won't have an issue.

They are random. What I have found though traveling with my kids, they usually let at least the mom not go thru it. I travel with my daughters and have flown 6 times in the past year and each time, they have motioned me to just go thru the other one. They have them both there. So I really doubt you will have to, but they may make your husband.

:)

We just flew on March 2 from BUF and I have 3 kids 15,12,10. They directed us to the normal one. I was looking and all families were going in the normal one. When we flew out of TPA they also directed us to the normal one. They also directed a older gentlemen in a wheel chair through the normal one too. the TSA guy was really nice and told the gentlemen to relax and take his time going through it. He could hardly walk. Maybe they are getting flack after all the mess that has happened prior with kids and sick people and the elderly. Everything up to this point in security though, my kids did what adults did. Taking off shoes(even though there is a note that says kids under 14, don't have to remove shoes), carry on bags, watches, money etc.

The TSA rule states that children 12 and under do not have to remove shoes.

That is one of our little guys favourite things to do. We have flown so much I think he could get through security by him self we have it down to a since now. My only stressful time was our trip in 2008 . We flew with a group of 28 the only ones that had ever flown were DH Me Ds 10 Dd10 Ds4. Mco was very helpful getting us through and my parents had to be waned because of heart and artificial knee .

In Dec, I got into the scanner line, while dd and our friend got into the 'regular xray' line. There was nobody directing anyone to any particular line. The only issue was that although my line was shorter, it took longer to get through it. Dd beat me by about 5 mins!!!

I'm a little concerned traveling with my parents in May. My dad is in a wheelchair with a prosthetic leg and other hardware. Just hope he isn't selected.

I'm picked every time to go through the whole body scanner! Next trip if they pull me, I'm telling them I want the pat down.

In Dec, I got into the scanner line, while dd and our friend got into the 'regular xray' line. There was nobody directing anyone to any particular line. The only issue was that although my line was shorter, it took longer to get through it. Dd beat me by about 5 mins!!!

The xray/microwave scans take longer than just walking through the metal detector. Reports by frequent travellers are that more hands on body searches result from the scans than from the metal detector - that also slows the line down.

In November we all were allowed to just go thru the metal detectors only.

We just returned from MCO a week ago and only a metal detector, flying Airtran, gate 107 area.
When we left Harrisburg, I went through the body scan and was not the least bit put off. There was NO demarkations at all and I am an endowed woman. THe only thing that lite up was a bobby pin in my hair and the cell phone on my hip.

The lady had me turn around and all it looked like was if a body was found on the ground and they chalked it out on the perimeter. No body parts.

I would MUCH rather that then a pat down. I am retired law enforcement and would not want the touching of someone on me.

I'm picked every time to go through the whole body scanner! Next trip if they pull me, I'm telling them I want the pat down.
That's what I do at every US airport in which that's the line they direct me to.

I first ask, can I use this line, pointing at the metal detector. Sometimes it works. If not, then once I'm at the scanner, I'll opt out and take the pat down.

The xray/microwave scans take longer than just walking through the metal detector. Reports by frequent travellers are that more hands on body searches result from the scans than from the metal detector - that also slows the line down.
In the 25 mins or so that I was in that line, I saw one person pulled out for a pat down...no more than that. But, there was an issue with those who 'didn't understand English'....they had to be told over and over what to do...too bad they couldn't just look at the diagram and imitate it. Ah well.
Not an issue for me.

Last December both me and DH were directed to the full body scanner. It wasn't that big of a deal. DH had to take his belt off, but my jewelry wasn't questioned. My cell and ID and everything else were in my carry on.
You do have to hold your arms up over your head, but it was really no big deal. Even joked with the guy who made me wait for the all clear.

The OP who talked about a hip and other replacement hardware in the body will probably end up in the "clear box" they have there. We were chatting with another couple and the husband ended up in there. Poor guy looked like he was an animal in a cage, but they were both used to it.

THe only thing that lite [sic] up was a bobby pin in my hair and the cell phone on my hip.

I am surprised that they let you through with a cell phone. You are supposed to remove cell phones, wallets, belts (even those with a plastic buckle which can go through x-ray), change, keys, and bulky jewelry.

Last December both me and DH were directed to the full body scanner. It wasn't that big of a deal. DH had to take his belt off, but my jewelry wasn't questioned. My cell and ID and everything else were in my carry on.
You do have to hold your arms up over your head, but it was really no big deal. Even joked with the guy who made me wait for the all clear.

The OP who talked about a hip and other replacement hardware in the body will probably end up in the "clear box" they have there. We were chatting with another couple and the husband ended up in there. Poor guy looked like he was an animal in a cage, but they were both used to it.

Rather demeaning treatment isn't it.

One time my 13 year old was put in the clear box and she looks older. I was like hey she is only 13 then they told me to stand next to the box.

Another time I walked through the regular scanner and couldn't find my daughter she was in the full body scanner. I was pissed as she looks way older than 13 I'm sure thats why she was picked. I was freaking as I didn't know where she was and thought Oh my God they took her to a room.:scared1: She leaned out to let me know where she was and got yelled at by security.:confused3

i didn't - just flew out of MCO March 7th. Just the regular scanner - although they DID open my bag on the belt and it came out the other end with the zippers open and stuff spilled out. It was pretty crowded and the security wait was only 15 minutes at best. :)

One time my 13 year old was put in the clear box and she looks older. I was like hey she is only 13 then they told me to stand next to the box.

Another time I walked through the regular scanner and couldn't find my daughter she was in the full body scanner. I was pissed as she looks way older than 13 I'm sure thats why she was picked. I was freaking as I didn't know where she was and thought Oh my God they took her to a room.:scared1: She leaned out to let me know where she was and got yelled at by security.:confused3

Any one who gets selected for a hands on body search can have a witness of his/her choice observe the search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter